PDA

View Full Version : help please

crashNUMBERS
09-01-2005, 03:08 AM
This may be the dumbest question for me to ask and may make you people hate me more (Like I care) but is it possible to use HTML in wordpad?? I was thinking to do writing reports for school and such under HTML but if I do it on a website they'd think I playgerised. And the address being on it would make it look annoying..

Shoeberto
09-01-2005, 03:17 AM
Do you mean Word or Wordpad? You can do HTML formatting in Word, though you don't actually have to code anything. Wordpad is just a standard text editor, so with it you can type HTML code and save it as a .html and have it show up in a browser.

crashNUMBERS
09-01-2005, 03:24 AM
So if I save it as an .HTML file it will show up??

bipper
09-01-2005, 03:43 AM
Couple things for ya when making an html document with notepad(and wordpad).
**instructions are written with windows in mind - as I will venture to guess that is what you are using :)**

1: open any folder on your computer and click tools -> folder options.
2: on the top tab click the view option. This will bring up a buncha checkboxes.
3:uncheck the box that says "Hide extentions for known file types"
**note be careful now, as just by changint the text after the period (ie .html) you can change how a file is treated.**

4: Open wordpad/notpad
5: Make sure that you never save any information as rich text format (rtf)
this will greatly screw up your Html document.
6: Write your html document
7: Save your file as an .html edtention (index.html being the traditional
base page)
Now you should be able to go to your browser and file->open your page and voila.. done!

edit: BTW if you want a free html editor this one is sexy: EVRSOFT FIRSTPAGE (http://www.evrsoft.com) :love: There are better ones, but that tool is best for novice level.

Here are my tips on good html:
Don't use table based layouts
Practice W3C standards (www.w3c.org)
Learn CSS and love it
Use firefox to test your html/css layouts - it actually obeys standards!
Don;t use Java script :D (purley my prefrence)

Good luck! :D
Bipper