PDA

View Full Version : A question about Nanaki (Spoilers)

Ageless_Bum
09-01-2005, 04:22 AM
I dont know how to place the spoiler cover in a thread so dont read if you dont want to know (the title should have been your first warning so this is your second). Im putting several spaces inbtween this line and the question (this is your third warning)

At the end of the credits you see Nanaki running with his offspring towards Midgar. The subtitle tells you it is 500 years later. Now assuming you took your charcters to 99 before beating it, how powerful do you think Nanaki was 500 years later. An ignorant observation would also be to ask how he had like 8 combs equiped on himself, but in several of the artworks he is shown with two combs even though only one is equip. This points to the others being for show or to show his age. But back on topic what do you think his stats, his character, anything would be like

G SpOtZ
09-01-2005, 04:28 AM
depends. he grows older with more experience, but at the same time, he might considered OLD, as we don't know how long he's going to live. maybe he only a had a few more years to live. if so, he would be weaker. but if he had about a hundred more years to live, he coulda super super strong. maybe gain some more limit breaks, discover new materia... it's up to fanfiction writers for this one haha.

Ageless_Bum
09-01-2005, 05:01 AM
Maybe, but as for fanfiction writers, I can think of only one that I've read who wouldnt turn it into something aweful

blackmage_nuke
09-01-2005, 08:52 AM
is there any actuall evidence that the old one is nanaki? i actually thought the old one was one of nanaki's children (or grandchildren) and the little ones nanaki's great grandchildren, and nanaki was dead...

Light Mage
09-01-2005, 11:05 AM
If 48 years old (Red XIII's real age) was only 15-16 in human age, making Nanaki an adolescent, 548 in real age would be equal to about 160-170 ish human years old.

Bugenhagen lived to 130, but that may have been an exceptional long life - so either that really was Red XIII and he was really old, or another of Nanaki's tribe, possibly his own child.

KoShiatar
09-01-2005, 05:23 PM
is there any actuall evidence that the old one is nanaki? i actually thought the old one was one of nanaki's children (or grandchildren) and the little ones nanaki's great grandchildren, and nanaki was dead...

You can see the tattooes Hojo gave him.

chocobo hunter
09-01-2005, 05:38 PM
I wonder if mabye Hojo's experamints had some life lengthing effect longer then RedXIII species

bipper
09-01-2005, 05:47 PM
I wonder if mabye Hojo's experamints had some life lengthing effect longer then RedXIII species

Yes, supposedly. remember Lucrecia from under the waterfall. She reviels that having jenova cells,she cannot easily die. Could this mean that Red had jenova cells in him!>!> This would explain his slightly longer life prehapse and may even give us more of an insight why that end scene took place. Wow, that would rock. Sephroth would have a dog. Wow some one get squall of Seed and massamune on this one!

I have also wondered if the humans were wiped out. If the laughter heard was not the lifestream of the planet talking. Midgar was a final grave of thier exsistance. /shrug

Bipper

boys from the dwarf
09-01-2005, 06:38 PM
ive always strongly doubted it was realy nanaki.red would live up to a normal human age but in his peoples age he would of lived to 3 times that.however if the thing in the ending had the XIII tattoo on that is definetly him.how he got that old without dying?dont ask me!

Masamune·1600
09-01-2005, 07:04 PM

Yes, supposedly. remember Lucrecia from under the waterfall. She reviels that having jenova cells,she cannot easily die. Could this mean that Red had jenova cells in him!>!> This would explain his slightly longer life prehapse and may even give us more of an insight why that end scene took place. Wow, that would rock. Sephroth would have a dog. Wow some one get squall of Seed and massamune on this one!

I have also wondered if the humans were wiped out. If the laughter heard was not the lifestream of the planet talking. Midgar was a final grave of thier exsistance. /shrug

Bipper

In this essay (http://www.geocities.com/ff7analysis/NanakiExperiment.html), Squall concluded that it's impossible to know exactly what Hojo did to Red. I haven't written anything on that particular subject, but I certainly agree with the conclusions Squall reached (although it's unfortunate that the game doesn't reveal more).

As to the ending, I don't think the final scene was really about Red (who it must have been, given the "XIII" tattoo and the need for some kind of continuity). Rather, like most endings, it was there to tie up loose ends. The final FMV sequences aren't extraordinarily clear, and that last scene is, I believe, meant to convey closure in at least one sense. Given that the scene takes place 500 years later, it shows that Cloud and company were successful in saving the Planet. Given what Bugenhagen says during the party's first visit to Cosmo Canyon...

Bugenhagen: Ho Ho Hoooo. No Nanaki. You can't stand on your own yet. To do that
now would destroy you in the long run. Reaching up into the
heavens, threatening to snatch the very stars from the great city of Midgar. You
seen it, haven't you? Well, that's a bad example. Looking up too much makes you
lose perspective. When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that
you know absolutely nothing.

Cloud: ......When the planet dies?

Bugenhagen: Ho Ho Hoooo. It may be tomorrow, or 100 years from now... But it's
not long off.

(Later, after the battle with Gi Nattak and the revelation of Seto's true actions...)

Bugenhagen: Listen, Nanaki. Cloud says they are trying to save the planet.
Honestly, I don't think it can be done. For even if they stop every reactor on
the planet, it's only going to postpone the inevitable. Even if they stop
Sephiroth, everything will perish. But, Nanaki. I've been thinking lately. I've
been thinking if there was anything WE could do, as a part of the planet,
something to help a planet already in misery... No matter what happens, isn't it
important to try? Am I just wishing against fate? I am too old to do something
about it... This year, you must go with them! For my sake.

...the survival of Gaia was no certainty. Even having defeated Sephiroth, they were (according to Bugenhagen) only delaying the inevitable. In this manner, we were at least given knowledge of the ultimate success of AVALANCHE's quest, even if the individual fates of the characters weren't revealed.

bipper
09-01-2005, 08:00 PM
it shows that Cloud and company were successful in saving the Planet.

But did cloud and company save the human race? I do not think that the last scene answers this question. It may be that nanatki was bringing his children to the grave of his friends. The sound of the children laughing may have been the "planet talking" as Aeris described it. /shrug

That was how i seen the end.

Bipper

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
09-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Another thing that has got me thinking is this. Where the hell did Nanaki find a lover to make those children with. you never see another one throughout the entire game.

Also, does anything happen after the stars that come after the final screenplay? i watched them for an hour cos so many questions were left unanswered!!! :D

bipper
09-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Also, does anything happen after the stars that come after the final screenplay? i watched them for an hour cos so many questions were left unanswered!!!

With the stars at the begining and end it made me feel as this...

You are a etheral foce (Mabey a god in a way) floating through the universe looking for a cry for help. Then Aeris face pops up and you find your way to Gaia. See whom she is, then you back up and look for the main character (chosen warrior, or your avatar). You zoom in on him and start the story.

At the end, when you see the stars again,your off to find your next adventure.

I think I have an over active immagination. :p

Bipper

Ageless_Bum
09-02-2005, 04:45 AM
I believe it is infact Nanki. Mainly because at one point during the game he says that he wants to live for 500 years. I know the obvious statement that just because he wished it doesnt mean it happened applies, but i think its a little to obvious of a hint that the character looks like him, has his flaming tail and he said he wanted to live 500 years. To me thats the main reason. I agree thats its a rap up scene and that it leaves many question unanswered, but in the end the question could be answered even if It wasnt him. The question would then be "If it is Nanki 500 years into the future what do you his personality, his strength, his powers, etc... would be like?"

However please dont think im trying to stop the debate on if it is him as that should be explored too.

Luthien Rogue
09-02-2005, 07:45 AM
But did cloud and company save the human race? I do not think that the last scene answers this question.

Advent Children, mah man. :\

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
09-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Advent children is set before that last scene (as cloud, tifa, barret, cid, vincent, yuffie, marlene . . . etc) are in advent children.

And my question is stil left unanswered. where the hell did nanaki's wife (if they are indeed married) come from. (man that would be some service wouldn't it!!!)

Light Mage
09-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Stupid rumor: If you can get to the North Crater within ten hours of play time, after entering into the area where you split up the team you will see a Female Nanaki running off - apparently to fight Sephiroth.

bipper
09-02-2005, 06:03 PM
There are other threads on your topic d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x. It was assumed that there were no more of Red's people. Or mabey that would explain what hojo did to him :eek:

Advent Children, mah man. :\

This is a mute point at the moment as it has not been released. Also HOLY may have set in motion a plan to kill the humans. Its not an answered question by anymeans. In advent children (Advent Children Spoiler)Midguar is getting repaired, in Nanaki's scene it looks abandoned. This really just leaves me wondering even more what will happen in Advent Children. I still love the tasing ending of FFVII :)

Bipper

Masamune·1600
09-02-2005, 10:53 PM
And my question is stil left unanswered. where the hell did nanaki's wife (if they are indeed married) come from. (man that would be some service wouldn't it!!!)

On his deathbed, Bugenhagen obliquely suggests that Red XIII may not be the last member of his species.

Bugenhagen: It's a wide world and you must go out and see it... You may even find your life's mate. You never know.

The obvious implication, then, is that Red XIII did find his "life's mate."

But did cloud and company save the human race?

There's no reason to assume that Gaia would have survived and the human race died. The mere existence of Advent Children (and of Dirge of Cerberus) immediately refutes the concept that Holy would have eradicated mankind; Meteor, after all, was removed, but years later people still survive.

As to Midgar, its abandonment really isn't that surprising. It was a blight environmentally, and was far from an ideal place to live. It wouldn't be much of a surprise if the authorities of Gaia, after tending to the needs of the city's erwstwhile residents, simply allowed the place to be reclaimed by the Planet.

Carl the Llama
09-04-2005, 01:21 AM
one thing that bothers me is that how does bugenhagen know that a 48y/o nanaki know that it is the equvilant of a 15-16 y/o i mean for instance if you were as old as Seto would you go telling people your age and my next point is that we dont know when a member of nanaki's breed dies for instance both seto and seto's wife died in that battle it could be like an elf which live's for thousands of years like in lord of the rings well thats just my theory anyways.