PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy music devours my parents, haha!

Peter_20
09-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Hehe, this is so hilarious.
My parents HATE anything that´s about video games, and I was gonna "try" them by playing some Nobuo Uematsu music for them.
I actually started out with this arpeggio-ish Prelude, and they immediately started talking about how relaxing and nice it was.
The sound wasn´t anything special, either!

Then I changed to Time Remains from the *real* FF3, and they still thought it all was beautiful and stuff.
And that was a MIDI file...
I also considered playing Terra (FF6) and Eyes On Me (FF8), but then they had went to sleep.

I promise you they´d feel really embarrassed if I were to tell ´em it was all VIDEO GAME STUFF! :D

"Was it a video game? :mad: Oh... [:mad2:]"

:D

Prancing Mad
09-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Haha, I sympathize. My mom actually thinks some of it's really pretty and I've let her know it was from a videogame. Some of it she likened to Yes (the band lol) and others to classical stuff (nothing about orff though). My dad however, doesn't like to listen to it simply, 'cause he's "too cool for school" as some would put it. haha. But I have ff6, ff8, and chrono cross. Chrono cross is kinda like really amazing yanni music, that isn't by yanni, and is a whole lot better. Maybe I'l play that for my mom

boys from the dwarf
09-02-2005, 06:14 PM
ahhh! blending video games with culture to trick parents. nice one.

Destai
09-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Boy Dennis the Mennace has nothing on you guys.

Cruise Control
09-04-2005, 06:10 PM
My grandma loves my KH soundtrack and asked me to burn it O_O

chad
09-21-2005, 06:48 PM
heres one for ya. my parents hate my games. so i ripped the music from the net and games and made a disk. bout 80 min in leght 100+ traks now they listen to the music day and night. and they dont belive it actually came from my games. cana beleive that

kikimm
09-24-2005, 06:19 PM
I've never shown my parents my video game music, on purpose. I sometimes blast my Drakengard soundtrack from my room, but they can't stand it. Not surprising, because it's not soothing, or anything, but still. It saddens me that they can't appreciate it.

So I don't even want to try to force anything else on them.

Peter_20
09-25-2005, 07:19 PM
heres one for ya. my parents hate my games. so i ripped the music from the net and games and made a disk. bout 80 min in leght 100+ traks now they listen to the music day and night. and they dont belive it actually came from my games. cana beleive thatFriggin' hilarious.
How do parents work, anyway?
So if you talked some fantastic composer into writing stuff for games, then he'd all of a sudden suck?
I mean, if he writes music that fits with the games?
Would that make him suck?

SO, this is apparently parents' logic;
write music for video games, and you'll run out of nice melodic inspiration.
YEAH!!!!!

ahhh! blending video games with culture to trick parents. nice one.Are you being sarcastic or something? :rolleyes2

GooeyToast
09-25-2005, 11:17 PM
My parents would think I'm gay if I ever played any FF song in front of them. :mad:

Vaprice
09-26-2005, 12:33 AM
My parents HATE anything that´s about video games, and I was gonna "try" them by playing some Nobuo Uematsu music for them.
I actually started out with this arpeggio-ish Prelude, and they immediately started talking about how relaxing and nice it was.

Then I changed to Time Remains from the *real* FF3, and they still thought it all was beautiful and stuff.
I also considered playing Terra (FF6) and Eyes On Me (FF8), but then they had went to sleep.

I promise you they´d feel really embarrassed if I were to tell ´em it was all VIDEO GAME STUFF! :D

FF music is smooth and sweet, your parents are right....I dont see what the big deal is. The symphonic pieces are the best if you are wishing a peaceful sleep, meditation, etc. They always calm the body...I don't see what the big deal is about.

Peter_20
09-26-2005, 12:49 AM
My parents would think I'm gay if I ever played any FF song in front of them. :mad:Eh, WHY?
Because it's classic music?
Please make them understand the whole thing a little better.
And if you're wasting your time disliking gays, you need an own life.

I play all kinds of music for my parents all day long;
classic, rock, metal, techno, video game music, just about anything.
I think classic music is my favourite, it's the first genre I heard in my whole life. :)

FF music is smooth and sweet, your parents are right....I dont see what the big deal is. The symphonic pieces are the best if you are wishing a peaceful sleep, meditation, etc. They always calm the body...I don't see what the big deal is about.Well, we already mentioned the "big deal" - it's fun to fool them into listen to the music
they otherwise would abhor with a passion. :D

GooeyToast
09-27-2005, 03:33 AM
My parents would think I'm gay if I ever played any FF song in front of them. :mad:Eh, WHY?
Because it's classic music?
Please make them understand the whole thing a little better.

"Eyes On Me" isn't exactly classical music.

And where exactly did I ever say that?

Dark Matter
09-27-2005, 05:59 PM
My parents know only a type of music - hymn :eep:

Sephex
09-28-2005, 04:59 AM
My dad gave me crap for listening to game music once. Then I pointed out that he bought the soundtrack to the sci-fi TV show Babylon 5. That put an end to that one.

My mother complimented "One Winged Angel" before while I had it playing in my car.

Necronopticous
09-28-2005, 05:27 AM
The stigma on video game media is so stupid, I can't count the amount of times I've played video game music for someone and they like it just fine until I tell them it's from a video game, at which point they immediately start saying how lame it is. The other day I saw a header in the paper: "Video games to use real music," for an article about companies putting radio fodder like Hoobastank and Sum 41 in their games. Give me a break.

The Man
09-28-2005, 05:42 AM
The other day I saw a header in the paper: "Video games to use real music," for an article about companies putting radio fodder like Hoobastank and Sum 41 in their games. Give me a break.Now that's just ridiculous.

And yeah, the stigma against video game music is one I've encountered myself frequently before. I think people from older generations than ours just don't get it.

Peter_20
09-28-2005, 06:31 AM
I just don't get it why people are so prejudiced to video game music.
It's pretty stupid to judge melodies from their sources, if you like it perfectly until you hear of this source.

"Ah, nice melody."
"It's from a video game, you know."
"Aha, uhum, hm... it sounds a little lame, you know."
"You think so?"
"Yeah. Let me off this crap."
"Okay."
"Thanks. It sucks."

ThroneofDravaris
09-28-2005, 11:25 AM

Wow, tricking your parents into listening to video game music. You're a real monster...

Peter_20
09-28-2005, 12:39 PM

Wow, tricking your parents into listening to video game music. You're a real monster...Spare me the sarcasm, damn it! :mad:

Winter Nights
09-28-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm lost on why anyone would care what their parents thought of their musical tastes.

ThroneofDravaris
09-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Spare me the sarcasm, damn it! :mad:

Yeah, because you don’t deserve it at all.

ffxfreak93
09-29-2005, 03:30 AM
My parents would think I'm gay if I ever played any FF song in front of them. :mad:

same here

Daryl
09-30-2005, 02:07 AM
My mother has nightmares of the overworld music from the World of Balance in FFVI, because of how often she had to listen to it when I still lived with her back in the day.

Roogle
09-30-2005, 02:27 AM
My family is constantly surprised whenever a song I'm playing turns out to be from a video game or from Final Fantasy. My sister actually kind of liked real Emotion from Final Fantasy X-2, but I think that was just because of the novelty of it more than anything.

ShivaBlizzard8
10-03-2005, 02:40 AM
My parents are huge FF music fans. They don't play any video games and know nothing about Final Fantasy other than that its an expensive yet well animated game which is usually on my Christmas list. However, after hearing the music come from the game and from my computer, they always have me burn copies of the soundtracks for them and enjoy them immensely.

Azure
10-30-2005, 01:47 AM
My mum overhead me playing Suteki Da Ne once, and she came in to listen to it fully, and asked me to burn it for her. But that's probably the nearest I've come to my parents liking video game music.

Though they're big fans of classical music.. shouldn't be too hard to trick them.

vampirepiggyhunter7
11-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Nice....
Sometimes when my mom tells me to turn the TV up, I pretend like I am, then ask her "How's this?" and she says "that's good..."

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-19-2005, 11:27 AM
My mum banned me from downloading FF mp3 off the internet. I gave her a copy of FFVIII piano collections and she was fine about it afterwards....The power of FF osts...

DelightfulSpekkio442
12-13-2005, 04:46 PM
I've performed a lot of Piano Collections stuff at coffeehouses and open mic nights, so my parents are used to hearing me practice stuff like "To Zanarkand, "Vamo Alla Flamenco," "Eyes on Me" and "Fisherman's Horizon." They don't really care who wrote it or where it's from, as long as it's pretty.

One day I was practicing "The Spinach Rag."

Dad: "Was that The Entertainer?"

LMAO.

Takara
12-13-2005, 09:04 PM
I made my mother totally fall in love with "Melodies of Life". Even burned it on a cd for her. Yet, she doesn't believe me when I say it's from a video game.

Memoria
12-16-2005, 08:06 PM
My dad once said "Where is that music from?" when he listened to one of my burned CDs and I told him a Japanese composer named Nobuo Uematsu. And he goes "Like a Japanese Bach or Motzart?" and I just laughed. I nodded. Couldn't tell him it's VG music. He would have turned away from it instantly.

YTDN
01-07-2006, 02:52 PM
I once got some sheet music from the internet, and when my classical music-mad grandad came round, I played it and he said it was good. Then we played him our whole collection of ff music and he loved it. He like Aeris Theme (orchestrated) especially.

Slicksword45
01-07-2006, 10:18 PM
my parents loved Xenosaga last boss music & one winged angle :p