PDA

View Full Version : Languages

Rye
09-01-2005, 08:54 PM
3 questions. :)

What languages can you speak?
What is your Native Language?
What language do you think in? (I always wonder this when it comes to people who are completely bilingual/trilingual/etc)

I can only speak English. I can speak a tiny bit of French, but I'm not good at it at all and I'm forgetting bit by bit.

Doomie
09-01-2005, 08:57 PM
1. English, French, and I can understand and speak (Sorta) Italian. Although more of it comes out as buzzes and clicks. :p
2. As in what language I speak at home? English. The language most of my family speaks? Italian.
3. English.

I've always wanted to learn Latin though.

Aphelion
09-01-2005, 09:03 PM
I live in Brazil, so naturally, I can speak Portuguese. I'm very familiarized with Spanish (the structure of the sentences is very similar, the biggest differences come from the pronunciation, but it's not very hard), and I've been studying English for at least 5 years (and I've achieved a nice level of fluency in it). Of course you always end up learning something in other languages, like Italian (because there are many Italian descendants in my state), but the only languages I speak fluently are Portuguese and English.

I usually think about what I'm going to write in English, but as I used to think about everything in Portuguese before, sometimes both languages kind of got mixed up. I've fixed that, though, and now I can just separate them well and elaborate my thoughts in a fine way.

boris no no
09-01-2005, 09:05 PM
english. i used to speak a little german but lost contact with the german side of the family so no need to speak it really (i want to learn it again though!)
native language is english ;p seen as i live in england! xD
i think in english

Jojee
09-01-2005, 09:33 PM
I can speak English and Chinese! I think in English when I'm in America and Chinese when I'm in China. xD Depends on the people I'm around.

I studied Spanish in high school but I think I forgot most of it. I reallly want to learn Portuguese! ^^

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-01-2005, 09:37 PM
I am born into an english family. Therefore my mother tongue is English, but due to my french lineage, and the demographs of the area, my parents wanted me to learn French, so I was enrolled into my province's early-Immersion program. To say the less, in theory I am bilingual. In practise, not much so. Now I usually think and speak to myself in English, unless I am really bored, then I start thinking and speaking to myself in French. Also I swear occasionally in French. Starting tomorrow I will be learning Ancient Greek...

Spiffing Cheese
09-01-2005, 09:37 PM
I can speak English and a small amount of Welsh. >.<
Native language is Welsh?
I think in English. xD

Ohhh
09-01-2005, 09:38 PM
1) english, japanese and spanish
2) english
3) american (really)

Crystal Tears
09-01-2005, 09:50 PM
My mothertongue is English, i speak little French and German, but they are fast fading from my mind and I tend to think in my own little language, as my brain seems to move too fast for English to be comprehended.

~*Crystal

Parker
09-01-2005, 10:08 PM
I speak English. I learned French for about 5 years in school but since I stopped 2 or 3 months ago I've forgotten a lot of it. Perhaps if I really think hard I might be able to get a sentence out. Maybe.
I learned Welsh pretty much up to a year ago, but the attitude towards Welsh in the part of Wales I live in isn't good so what little I did learn I've forgotten.

Shauna
09-01-2005, 10:21 PM
1. English, Spanish and French (only a little, for both Spanish and French)
2. SCOTTISH! AYE! ...English, yea. ^_^
3. I think in English. xD Unless I'm thinking of homework or crap. xD Then I think in Spanish/French. ^_^

Old Manus
09-01-2005, 10:25 PM
RALI-HO

Kamiko
09-01-2005, 10:25 PM
I can speak German, only it's not so good anymore. I haven't had anyone to talk to and they think I'm possessed when I talk in it during school.
And English, unfortunate, neh?
And some French, j'mappelle Brian! xD
And Japanese, not exactly fluent yet but getting there eh?
And I know some Spanish too, as my mutti is fluent in it.
And a little Swedish, my family is very multi-cultural.
I think in German alot though. I hadn't really spoken it since I was about 5 or 6 so now it's kind of meeeeehhh. I've forgotten almost everything but sometimes words will just flash into my head in German. It's a bit odd.
Sometimes with Japanese too.

Channing
09-01-2005, 10:31 PM
I can speak English and Spanish, a small amount of German.
My native language is English.
I think in English.

Chibi Angel
09-01-2005, 10:32 PM
I speak American (I don't think it should be called English because it is very different from the English that English people speak.)
A smattering of German and a couple of words in Japanese.

Old Manus
09-01-2005, 10:37 PM
I speak American (I don't think it should be called English because it is English spelt wrong.)

Mindflare
09-01-2005, 10:40 PM
I speak American (I don't think it should be called English because it is very different from the English that English people speak.)
It's still English. More of a dialect of English if anything.

I've only ever needed English, and haven't the patience to learn a language I'm not regularly exposed to.

Channing
09-01-2005, 10:41 PM
It's called English because it's developed just like any other language. It has several sublanguages also. Just like hispanic words change dialect depending on your location. There is no such thing as "American." Does this mean British people speak "American" too? Even though they or not Americans?

It's English.

Shlup
09-01-2005, 10:42 PM
I speak English, some Spanglish, and I'm mostly good at American Sign Language.
My native language is English.
I think in Cantonese.

Cz
09-01-2005, 10:43 PM
The answer to all three questions is English. I did learn how to say 'Where's the smurfing phonebook?' in French though. :cool:

Rye
09-01-2005, 10:45 PM
The answer to all three questions is English. I did learn how to say 'Where's the smurfing phonebook?' in French though. :cool:

Ou est le/la (something) (something)? xD

Chibi Angel
09-01-2005, 10:46 PM
It's called English because it's developed just like any other language. It has several sublanguages also. Just like hispanic words change dialect depending on your location. There is no such thing as "American." Does this mean British people speak "American" too? Even though they or not Americans?

It's English.
That's not what I meant. I meant that British people and Americans speak completely differant and it's like two differant languages British speak English and Americans speak American but anyway I meant as a joke no need to get your undies in a bundle people jeeze.

Kamiko
09-01-2005, 10:47 PM
C'est la Ryechuu! Ryechuu est fille sympathique et tres intelligente aussi.

Rye
09-01-2005, 10:49 PM
C'est la Ryechuu! Ryechuu est fille sympathique et tres intelligente aussi.

Merci! Kamiko est fille sympathique aussi. :)

Kirobaito
09-01-2005, 10:52 PM
English and Spanish.
English.
What language do you think in?
Esperanto.

Spammerman
09-01-2005, 11:06 PM
I speak spanish, and english, thought i can say shut up in portuguese,french, spanish, and english.

My native language is english

I think in english.

Mo-Nercy
09-01-2005, 11:24 PM
1. I speak English and Cantonese in the main. I took four years of German and I still remember most of it pretty well. I took Latin for two years but I've forgotton everything already except for a few words here and there. Other subjects I took include French, Classical Greek and Latin but I've forgotton most of all that (even though at one stage, Latin was my favourite subject.) I know a few Japanese words and phrases from all the anime I watch and from chinese kanji.

2. I speak Cantonese at home but I wasn't born in China. If your definition of "native" is the language of your nation of birth (in my case, Australia) I guess my native is English too.

3. I think in both Cantonese and English. Depends on what I'm doing.

SilverWind
09-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Hey, I'm back!

Anyways, I speak englerish, I'm taking French right now...^_^

Faris
09-01-2005, 11:47 PM
1) English and French
2) English
3) Sign language.

Spammerman
09-02-2005, 12:05 AM
1. I speak English and Cantonese in the main. I took four years of German and I still remember most of it pretty well. I took Latin for two years but I've forgotton everything already except for a few words here and there. Other subjects I took include French, Classical Greek and Latin but I've forgotton most of all that (even though at one stage, Latin was my favourite subject.) I know a few Japanese words and phrases from all the anime I watch and from chinese kanji.

2. I speak Cantonese at home but I wasn't born in China. If your definition of "native" is the language of your nation of birth (in my case, Australia) I guess my native is English too.

3. I think in both Cantonese and English. Depends on what I'm doing.
Thats a lot of languages.

SNOOZER
09-02-2005, 12:06 AM
I can speak english and tagalog fluently.

My native language is tagalog.

I think in binary.

Sasquatch
09-02-2005, 01:34 AM
English, all the way. Or American, actually, for people that seperate the two dialects.

Mo-Nercy
09-02-2005, 01:55 AM
English, all the way. Or American, actually, for people that seperate the two dialects.
In that case, I speak Australian...

...mate.

Rusty
09-02-2005, 02:00 AM
English and a bit of Australian sign language.

English- but if you want to be more specific Australian English :p

English- but if you want to be more specific Australian English :p

lordblazer
09-02-2005, 02:00 AM
lol you will have to specify which American dialect.

I speak English,Spanish, Spanglish, Turkish(still learning.),and am currently learning to speak Navajo.

escobert
09-02-2005, 02:32 AM
I speak teh english. I know a bit of french but I loose more and more of it everyday. (I took 3 years of it in high school)

rubah
09-02-2005, 02:47 AM
1) English, music, 1337, pig latin. learning french
2) English
3) music.

Hawkeye
09-02-2005, 02:48 AM
Is music considered as a language?

Ok

Engblish and music theory

rubah
09-02-2005, 02:54 AM
You write in it. And people can understand what you're saying.

vivace, yo.

black orb
09-02-2005, 03:01 AM
>>> 1) Spanish and some English..
2) Spanish
3) English

Jaffar
09-02-2005, 05:18 AM
Ahh Yes I Speak 5 Derjas Of Arabic, Ancient Berber, Muretana, Malian, 2 southern malian Derjas, Amharic, And Will Soon Learn To Speak Chinese.Hahahaha would we all then Agree that I am the Mightiest language speaker in all of EOFF hahah if not the mightiest of everything.But this place is indeed knowing of the DIfferent Languages of the world. Ahh But I had To Learn Malian And Muretana Northern Language For the people Will not Treat Kindly Those Who Do Not Communicate with them.And to keep our caravan safe We had to do it.

bipper
09-02-2005, 05:25 AM
I speak english and I can also draw a mean hiroglyphic.
I am ok at smiley-fu :mad: :rolleyes2 ;) :p
Bipper

Jojee
09-02-2005, 05:41 AM
Jaffar is my hero. xD If you speak all your other languages like you speak English, then that is indeed very nice :p

And I really really want to learn sign language... teach me, Shlup! o_x

Jaffar
09-02-2005, 06:02 AM
I Dont Meen To Boast but A great Person of my Title In my land is helpless without the knowledge of the routes he takes.Ahhh yes even tho no harm can come to such a strong person as I, I must be able trade Fairly.I was Tought the other language's by my friends Musa and shalim.

fantasyjunkie
09-02-2005, 06:21 AM
Even though I'm white, I speak both English and Tagalog(national language of the Philippines). I was the interpreter when I was in the marines.

kikimm
09-02-2005, 06:34 AM
English for everything. Although I am currently learning German. I wish I was learning Swedish though. :(

Leene
09-02-2005, 08:14 AM
:save:Greek English and bit of French:save:
:save:Greek:save:
:save:Greek:save:

Samuraid
09-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Speak: English (american), a little bit of Spanish
Native: English (american)
Think: Anything having to do with what I'm currently doing (i.e. PHP, Perl, VB, Java, English, music, Quenya, Spanish, SQL, etc...)

War Angel
09-02-2005, 11:27 AM
What languages can you speak? Hebrew and English on a high level, French Arabic and German, on the most basic level needed to communicate.
What is your Native Language? Hebrew.
What language do you think in? Both, really. I sometimes try to translate things in my head, which adds to the complexity of my thoughts, if you could say that... it's fun.

The longest period I spent in an English-speaking nation was 10 days in London, England. I consider myself to be bi-lingual, even though speaking in Hebrew comes more naturally to me, since it's the language I speak on an every-day basis. But, as is evident by my writing in these forums, my grasp of the English language is quite sufficient for most practices. :D

It's nice to speak one of the oldest (if not the the oldest) languages on earth, still spoken by men, along with one of the most innovating and evolving languages there are. I can read ancient texts like I'd read a grocery list, and then share my understanding and knowledge with other people, who do not speak Hebrew.

Drift
09-02-2005, 01:02 PM
English, Cantonese and failed German ^_^

Zante
09-02-2005, 01:23 PM
I speak Slovak (my native language), English and German. I think in all tree languages, depending on the situation.

Chris
09-02-2005, 01:44 PM
English, Gaelic, French (!) and a little Tagalog. -_-"

Ilongo/ Danish/ Tagalog.

English.

Cruise Control
09-02-2005, 01:45 PM
English and Spanish (very very slowly).

KoShiatar
09-02-2005, 08:40 PM
I can speak Italian, English and a little Japanese. Oh, and dialect too, if that counts :P
Italian is my mother language...my parents mostly speak dialect, but I don't know if that counts as different.
I think in Italian, English and (mostly) dialect.

Silmaril
09-03-2005, 03:45 PM
-What languages can you speak?
Urdu and English
-What is your Native Language?
Urdu
-What language do you think in?
English.

Odaisé Gaelach
09-03-2005, 10:16 PM
1) English (Primary)
Irish (Cineál... Anois, cá bhfuil an striapach go raibh mé ag obair le?)
French (Je ne suis pas trés trés bien, mais je ne suis pas nul aussi.)
Russian (Just beginning to learn it. Где слечназ?).

2) English.

3) Usually English, though sometimes Irish.

Mr. Graves
09-03-2005, 11:30 PM
1. English
2. Same
3. Same

I trying to learn Japanese, but I'm nowhere near good enough at it to speak it very well.

GooeyToast
09-03-2005, 11:32 PM
1) English

2) English

3) Scoekhistyksavian

Cloud_99
09-03-2005, 11:34 PM
1. I speak English, and Bad English and I can botch a French sentence
2. My native tongue is English. The queens english at that.
3. I think in English and really bad english if you catch my drift ;)

assemblage
09-03-2005, 11:37 PM
1. english, kind of a lot of japanese, some spanish, a little French and German (only 4 or 5 select words in French and German. they come in handy sometimes)
2. english
3. i typically think in english, but like Kamiko, sometimes these random japanese thoughts pop into my head. sometimes i say them out loud to see what people will do....it's funny :love:

radyk05
09-04-2005, 12:27 AM
i can speak spanish, english and a little bit of C. my native tounge is spanish and, if im speaking english for a prolonged time, i start to think in english. if not, thinking in spanish.

ZuZu
09-04-2005, 09:30 AM
English, Finnish, Swedish

Finnish

Finnish

I will learn some French or German soon, haven't decided yet
not many people speak Finnish here :cool:

Resha
09-04-2005, 09:38 AM
What languages can you speak? Um, English, 2 Indian languages and I'm learning French. And I learnt Malay for three years but I'm forgetting. :(
What is your Native Language? One of them Indian languages.
What language do you think in? English.

Great God Om
09-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I can speak Danish and English (and since im danish i can understand swedish and norwegian fairly well. I can also speak german somewhat.

My native language is Danish but i have family in England.

I think in both Danish and English depending on the situation.

Jess
09-04-2005, 12:31 PM
I speak english, think english and my native language is english.

I know some german and some french, but they are only the basics seeing as i dropped languages at school. >_<

Lady Selphie
09-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Mmm...My native English is Spanish, and lately I`m speaking English. In the future, I hope to speak Japanese.

Peegee
09-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Je suis les gateaux. Ich bin eihn torte hosen. I speaking good english you.

I can spit out french and even less german, speak fluent english, and converse in Cantonese with much difficulty. :D