PDA

View Full Version : Gonna give this one a try....

crazybayman
09-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Bonjour

FFIX is the only FF that was released on the PSX that I haven't played (aside from FFXI).

How did you people enjoy this one compared to the other PSX releases?

Polyonymous
09-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I really liked it, compaired to VIII I thought it was a whole lot better, but that's just me. I also liked VII a lot, but IX is just a bit better in my oppinion. If you get through the first disk, that's really when the action starts and you get hooked to it, so don't just play up through disk one and say you don't like it (a lot of people I know have done that). IX is one of the more unpopular ones, probably because it was released soon before the Playstation 2 came out, but I would say... good choice in deciding to play it. :D

Marshall Banana
09-03-2005, 06:27 PM
I enjoyed this one way more than I thought I would. I put off playing it because it looked different and so I guess I was too quick to judge. But a friend of mine suggested I play it/let me borrow it and once I did, I was hooked for quite a while. I even blew off her friend's birthday party for it. *shame shame*

I still like FFVIII better, but that's only because it was the first one I ever played, so it's kinda special. :rolleyes2

Christmas
09-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Classic and bring back memories. A nice FF game which act as a tribute to the past FF series and an overall excellent storyline like other FF.

raskerino
09-03-2005, 06:52 PM
7 & 8 were spectacular imo so for me 9 wasn't as strong. However it was a great game I just don't like the light hearted feel as much. The characters while developed well weren't developed in the darker, more thoughtful way (you didn't see what they were feeling, and it didn't feel as important except Vivi, who brought up the most interesting topic in the game, of course this is all my opinion) as the others. The battle system had a well done battle system. You have multiple jobs (thief, warrior, black mage, dragoon, blue mage, I think amarant's a monk and two white mages/summoners) and you learn abilities from your weapons. Sometimes you learn moves and sometimes you learn abilities that you equip to your character via a the ability part of the system. you have a certain # of ability points for each character that goes up as you level, and you gain abilities from training with weapons. Abilities you equip could stop status, allow u to counterattack, make you level quickly, make you good against a certain type of enemy, etc... Overall I liked the system a ton for a job system but prefer customizing system's like VIII. The graphics gave a nice fun fell to the game and the FMV's were great. Plot was good in a somewhat medieval setting. The character's were well developed for the type of rpg it is. I thought the main enemy was probably the best done main enemy in the series. I found some of the characters dull but characters like Vivi made up for it. The game had a lot more humor than 7 or 8 with characters like Steiner and Quina (one of the most disliked characters in FF history whom I thought was funny). Overall the game is a very stong game which is strong in a lot of areas and easy to get into. Probably my 5th favorite game all time after: 1.FFVIII 2.FFVII 3.Shadow Hearts Covenant (wonderful game with great humor and characters) 4.FFX and 5.FFIX.

Hope this helps.

crazybayman
09-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply, everyone.

I do like the traditional feel of the old final fantasies, the job system, and a medieval setting. I think I'll really enjoy this one too.

Learning abilities from your weapons sounds similar to the materia and the sphere grid systems. Both of which I enjoyed.

It sounds a bit different than FFVIII, which as of now is my favorite FF, and favorite game ever. However, I love the traditional medieval setting and traditional feel the old FF's gave me, so I'm sure this will be a great game.

G SpOtZ
09-03-2005, 07:30 PM
i was actually a little disappointed because i expected more from it, but it was still a great game. the storyline was amazing, but i wasn't as fond of the battle system. i have only replayed it a couple of times, only finishing it twice. i agree with polyonymous that the first disc wasn't as great as the others, and the first disc moved somewhat slowly. Although this game wasn't my favorite, it was really really well made.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
09-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Of all the ff's past ff7 (there in a different league really) ff9 is my least favourite. I like the job system and learning abilities from weapons but thats about it. I don't think the storyline was deep enough and the battle system (especially the limit/overdrive/trance whatever you want to call them) was very poor. not my favourite ff of all, not even close. but something i may return to when all other games have lost their intrigue (keyword in that sentence being MAY)

rubah
09-03-2005, 09:29 PM
I found it to be the least interesting. I'm not really big on harecord medieval.

TurkSlayer
09-03-2005, 09:50 PM
It doesn't quite beat VI and VII (though it comes close), it's about equal with Tactics, and it's ultimately better than FFVIII and X. Really, it depends on the kind of story you like. Since you like a medieval fantasy setting, you'll probably enjoy it. It's has no where near the same dark and depressing feel of FFVII and VIII, and is instead much more humorous and light-hearted like VI. Seriously though, a great game, I highly suggest it.

Chris
09-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Definitely the best FF... in my opinion. After an hour of play you'll be totally hooked on it, seriously this game is so addictive and the story is very intriguing. Try it out, it's as good as FFVII and even better than FFVIII.

Good luck! :)

boys from the dwarf
09-04-2005, 01:24 PM
everyone seems to hate ff8 but there no reason for it because it has a great storyline and is mainly about the charcters rather than the fighting. the characters on ff8 have personalitys far superior to the other ffs . ff8 is 1/4 fightin 3/4 characters and love storys and stuff

Craig
09-04-2005, 02:31 PM
My favourite most definately.

It has, in my opinion the most touching scene in a FF to date.

boys from the dwarf
09-04-2005, 04:05 PM
whats the most touching scene then?
i reckon the most touching scene in ff is either the converstion with cloud and sephiroth when sephiroth killed aeris or the bit at tears point with sqall and rinoa.

TurkSlayer
09-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Craig could be reffering to The ending where Zidane and Garnet are brought together again.

boys from the dwarf
09-04-2005, 07:18 PM
fair enough. that was a good scene but i liked the others better.

Craig
09-05-2005, 12:26 AM
The most touching scene I was referring to is the first encounter with Black Waltz 3.

Aidan
09-05-2005, 02:01 AM
it was ok.

boys from the dwarf
09-05-2005, 07:40 AM
i pretty much agree with craig on that. that scene is pretty sad. the airship chase afterwards is quite cool and funny.

crazybayman
09-06-2005, 11:50 AM
This game rules. I'm only about three hours worth of gameplay in, but it seems great.

It brings me right back to the olden days of FFI even, with the Fighter, White Mage, Blake Mage and Thief. You buy simple weapons and armor like the broadsword, dagger, and leather hat, and it has a much more happy, la-ti-da feel to it. Not that there's anything wrong with the seriousness in FFVII, FFVIII and FFX (in fact, they were awesome), but the feel to this one is good for a change. As well the battle music is a great throwback to the original too, and the medieval setting.

People who said that this game is great were right.

Rock on.

raskerino
09-06-2005, 09:38 PM
So keep us up with your progress if you want too, it is an awesome game.

Shishio287
09-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Glad to hear you're enjoying this game. This was the first Final Fantasy I ever played on the PSone (First Final fantasy I ever played was Final Fantasy I for the NES). I loved how they went back to the roots in this game rather than hold onto the sci-fi/anime style they used in VII and VIII. This is still my favorite Final Fantasy. Again, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Sepho
09-07-2005, 01:07 AM
I like it, just less than other a lot of the other series' titles, including the two other PS1 Final Fantasy's. It was a beauitful game, and wonderfully designed, but it wasn't as fun as I'd hoped it would be. Don't ask me what it is, because I can't explain these things.

Great game, though, and worth your time.

XxSephirothxX
09-07-2005, 01:38 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love this game with all my heart. It's by far my favorite RPG, and I love the story, the characters, the battle system, the graphics...everything. But, then, I detest VIII, so my tastes are apparently different than those of many people.

Primus Inter Pares
09-07-2005, 11:56 AM
<3 Azar... everything apart from the FFVIII comment...

FFIX is the best imo

Sepho
09-07-2005, 12:30 PM
But, then, I detest VIII, so my tastes are apparently different than those of many people.

Not really.

G SpOtZ
09-07-2005, 02:18 PM
ffvii i've always loved. then i got ffviii, and i hated it at first. probably because ffvii was one of the first rpg's i've ever played, and i didn't like surprises at the time. so ffviii was a total change and i wasn't used to the junctioning at all so then i hated it. then i waited for a long time to play and i got into after i started to understand the junction system. then i'm pretty sure i got either ffvi or ffix after that. everything was good. i wasn't TOO fond ffix at first because the beginning was kind of slow, and again i wasn't used to the system, like learning things from weapons, and each character with a different style of fighting. and for some reason, the names bothered me lol (i know, i'm a picky lil bast**d) i HATED the name "Dagger" so i almost changed everybody's name. i named forgot what i named Zidane for time around... i changed Dagger to Kaye or something like that, and Quina to Chef, Steiner to Rusty, but i kept vivi's, freya's, amarant's, and eiko's names. good times. after the game started to get goin, i enjoyed it, especially as it got mysterious and left you with questions... that's always a key of importance to any game. you have to want to advance through the game because you want to find out something that you don't know. However, there were some parts of the game that i didn't enjoy. for some reason, i HATED going through Mt. Gulug and hated Ipsens Castle, along with Oilvert and the sand palace place that takes place during Oilvert. Just bothered me, is all. definitely a great game overall.

Dreddz
09-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Its a real good game, I put in quite alot of hours into the game. I think the sidequests are the only downside to the game. But story wise, probably one of the best......

GooeyToast
09-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Its a real good game, I put in quite alot of hours into the game. I think the sidequests are the only downside to the game. But story wise, probably one of the best......

Downside?

Chocobo Hot & Cold is the most fun sidequest out of any FF to date.

Sepho
09-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I probably have more fun playing Chocobo Hot & Cold than I do with the main quest. I don't remember the game's other sidequests being all that entertaining.

Actually, I don't even remember the other sidequests, 'sides the Stellazio thing O.o

XxSephirothxX
09-08-2005, 02:32 AM
There was Mognet, which was pretty awesome. I enjoyed Chocobo Hot and Cold most of the time, although I'd get into spurts where it took me the better part of an hour to find a single Chocograph, which was extremely frustrating. But then I'd find 3 or 4 in a matter of minutes and make up for it. I wish the game had had more sidquests; it had quite a few, and was plenty long, but not long enough for me, since I loved it so much.

FFX_fanatiq
09-09-2005, 12:38 AM
well since it reset my memory card after i finished it...damn game
i hate it

but putting that aside it was my first ff i ever played
I enjoyed it obvoiusly because now i have played and finished 6 other ones
THe ending is cheesey there no major plot twists its not a fantastic story like ff7 or ff10 but its FUN yeah zidane makes it fun stupid little n00b :) hes funny lol