PDA

View Full Version : When endings were rubbish

Captain Maxx Power
09-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Who here remembers when endings were bad. Like really bad. No FMVs, no long-drawn out scenes, no closure. No, back in t'day all we used to get were a few sentances of text. We were lucky if they were grammatically correct most of the time! I used to play games for nye on hours at a time just to see a single screen of text declaring me the winner. And we appreciated it. Now if an endings under an hour and doesn't include full orchestral score and various bells and whistles, it's brushed off as "rushed" and "stupid" and "OMG RUBBISH!". You even have the nerve to poll which ones are better. You've got more now than when I was a lad.

Who's with me?!

GooeyToast
09-04-2005, 01:28 AM
I didn't get any ending at all for beating out my fellow brothers. :mad:

Shoeberto
09-04-2005, 01:32 AM
Resident Evil games have always had endings like that. Bland, unconclusive, and short. Mostly it's just the characters escaping the final area in some sort of vehicle while it explodes in the predictable self-destruct sequence. Yawn.

The REmake at least spiced up the last area of the game to make it feel like a more full-fledged ending.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-04-2005, 02:00 AM
Gradius games have always had endings like that. Bland, unconclusive, and short. Mostly it's just the characters escaping the final area in some sort of vehicle while it explodes in the predictable self-destruct sequence. Yawn.

bipper
09-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Contra games have always had endings like that. Bland, unconclusive, and short. Mostly it's just the characters escaping the final area in some sort of vehicle while it explodes in the predictable self-destruct sequence. Yawn.

Lindy
09-04-2005, 03:59 AM
You would have though that the villains in Resident Evil/Gradius/Contra would discover that the weakness of the hero(es) is a final area without a self-destruct system.

Honestly now.

Big D
09-04-2005, 06:27 AM
The Third Age is a console RPG and it was released last year - but it's got one of the shortest, most disappointing endings in history. Basically, you're shown a fly-by of a map (taken directly from the film), with an announcement that "your story is just beginning". Fade out, back to the intro screen. I mean wtf?

Del Murder
09-04-2005, 07:52 AM
It's not like there was much left to be told once you beat Space Invaders. What an epic.

Jebus
09-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Back in my day, when you beat a game it just kept repeating levels.There WERE no endings. Not only that but there were no title screens, you just turn on your game and you started right then.

Captain Maxx Power
09-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Final Fantasy games have always had endings like that. Bland, unconclusive, and short. Mostly it's just the characters escaping the final area in some sort of vehicle while it explodes in the predictable self-destruct sequence. Yawn.

...no, wait, it isn't like that at all.

Dreddz
09-04-2005, 01:44 PM
I cant remember very well, but I always thought that Duke Nuckem had an awful ending, but then again, I might be mistaking it with another game.
Kurushi had a poor ending, but that was the games style. Still a smurfing good game....

Cz
09-04-2005, 02:20 PM
High Score tables are much more rewarding than some stupid FMV sequence. Unfortunately they don't exist anymore.

TurkSlayer
09-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Halo 2 ending is like that. He asks for permission to end the war, and boom, games over. WTF?

Craig
09-04-2005, 02:43 PM
It's called a Cliffhanger.

TurkSlayer
09-04-2005, 02:48 PM
It's called a Cliffhanger.

I know, but they could have added a little more than that. We go through the whole game for a few lines of dialog. Though, I'm not sure anyone else noticed because I'm the only one I know who didn't skip all the cutscene.

bipper
09-04-2005, 05:03 PM
yes, so nothing was concluded, so the next game should be called halo 2 b: The crap we forgot to put on the other disk (or: halo 2b: yup, you cought us milking it :D )

Cliffhangers are NOT endings. Evar! They are unartistic sux to the 10th degree.

Bipper

TurkSlayer
09-04-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm not saying I wanted everything concluded, I'm say something else should have happened. You know, like some sort of cool scene where the heroes make some cool escape and there's some great explosion. I know that the way I'm saying that sounds kind of stupid. I'm not usually the kind of guy who just wants to shoot stuff and watch things explode. But for a a game like Halo where the storyline sucks so paying attention it is pointless anyway, thats the kind of thing they should have.

bipper
09-04-2005, 06:30 PM
I was serious though - I am sick of cliffhanger endings. There is a difference between leaving things open, and makig a complete cliffhanger. The climax is made to happen before the end.

I see it too many times. :(
Bipper

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Most people don't know this, but the bible actually ends with Vin Diesel showing up at the crucifixion with a pair of Uzi's and kicking some Roman ass. Vin Diesel was all like, "Jesus, I totally saved you." Then, off on the horizon, a bunch of Romans show up riding dinosaurs led by Mecha Pontious Pilate. Jesus busts out this sweet ninja sword and says, "Now it's my turn to save you." Then Jesus and Vin Diesel run towards the Romans in slow motion. That's how the bible ends. It's a cliff-hanger. I can't wait for the sequel, "The Bible 2: Water...Into Blood". (http://www.4q.cc/vin/)

TurkSlayer
09-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Why do I even bother...

Dr.K
09-04-2005, 07:26 PM
I guess an FMV sequence does not necessarily a good ending make.

bipper
09-04-2005, 07:27 PM
The bible ends with the word Amen. Thanks though, really loved the link; twas hilarious.

Bipper

cookieface
09-06-2005, 09:57 AM
FMV automatically makes them good endings? FF7 had FMV at the end, does that make it a good ending? Endings are the same now as they were then, only the technology is different.

To be honest, I don't just want some showcase of graphics with no meaning. And they tried to put meaning in game endings long before 3d and FMV. Not as far back as the Atari or anything though. I think that's what you mean, back before endings were endings.

But that is a timeless art. I remember beating the 1p Quake 2 back in 1999, and you get a nice "well done" text as an ending.

Skyblade
09-06-2005, 10:06 AM
I was serious though - I am sick of cliffhanger endings. There is a difference between leaving things open, and makig a complete cliffhanger. The climax is made to happen before the end.

I see it too many times. :(
Bipper

Out of curiousity, would you call the end of GS: TLA "leaving things open" or a "complete cliffhanger"? It solves the main story, but leaves some very interesting plot points for the sequel...

If you haven't played Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age, please do so, as I'd really like your opinion on this.

Anyway, RPG endings should always (IMHO) be all about the plot. Whether wrapping the plot up nicely, or doing that and setting the stage for a sequel, I think there should be some plot closure there. As more and more games become more and more plot based (remember side scrollers and FPS that didn't have a plot?), they require some of the same treatment. Games without plot require not plot-based long endings. Games with plot do (well, sometimes short ones). If an ending has no plot closure, it's no good. Whether the closure comes in an actual "ending" or as part of the last sequences of gameplay is academic: it's an ending.

Carl the Llama
09-06-2005, 10:36 AM
what about the ending of BoFIII that has to be the all time worst ending i have ever seen but i still love the game IMO endings are a bonus not somthing to judge the game itself like for instance the ending of ffvii was major suckage but i still love the game and have played it many many times and will continue to do so.

Project G
09-06-2005, 11:03 AM
DMC1 ending is the worst, after beating mundus, the plane from the room above falls in the sewer then Dante flys out with Trish and Mallet island explodes in a cloud of purple smoke then back at DNC headquarters they recieve a new job and go out

Craig
09-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I was really dissapointed by the ending of BoFIII.

Captain Maxx Power
09-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Having a rubbish ending is much like finishing a fifty mile marathon first against the world's top athelete's, and then going to the podium and being roundhouse kicked in the face by the organisers. No medals, just a nice healthy kick to the chops.

TurkSlayer
09-06-2005, 01:29 PM
If you haven't played Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age, please do so, as I'd really like your opinion on this.

I've played those games. The cliffhanger for Golden Sun isn't terrible, it certaintly made me want GS: The Lost Age. But like bipper,I think cliffhanger endings for games are terrible.

cookieface
09-06-2005, 03:59 PM
I agree about BOF3 not having an earth shattering conclusion, but you can't compare that to FF7. BOF3 was a humble and simple story, as I think all 3 of the first BOF games were. I wasn't disappointed since I had played through BOF2 at the time I played 3, and since have played even 1. None of those had any complicated conclusion.

On the other hand, FF7 built up so much with all it's iconic predecessors and it's own new-age mumbo jumbo, then just scramed when it was time to take it home.

Old Manus
09-06-2005, 04:08 PM
KILLZONE

Madame Adequate
09-06-2005, 05:34 PM
IMO the best endings are the ones where you can unlock new stuff, such as minigames or a New Game + kind of thing. Adding to the replay value > a flashy FMV (Or not.). Anyway, things often got lazy with FMVs. Like Tomb Raider (Maybe TR2?). She nicks something, the pyramid in the middle of the ocean collapses, and she's off on her jetski. WOW! I wanted to unlock infinite ammo or something but hey! Fifteen seconds of FMV!

Star Ocean games have the best endings.

And MMOs.

But nothing beats 'Congratulation! A winner is you!'

Lindy
09-06-2005, 07:20 PM
DMC1 ending is the worst, after beating mundus, the plane from the room above falls in the sewer then Dante flys out with Trish and Mallet island explodes in a cloud of purple smoke then back at DNC headquarters they recieve a new job and go out
That was intentional, the entire story and dialogue of DMC was based on cheesy American films, so why not have a cheesy American film ending?

And you don't need spoilers for such an old game.

-N-
09-06-2005, 07:41 PM
!vin_diesel

Skyblade
09-06-2005, 08:07 PM

I've played those games. The cliffhanger for Golden Sun isn't terrible, it certaintly made me want GS: The Lost Age. But like bipper,I think cliffhanger endings for games are terrible.

Ok, but what did you think about the ending for GS: TLA?

TurkSlayer
09-09-2005, 09:57 PM

Ok, but what did you think about the ending for GS: TLA?

That wasn't really a cliffhanger. (Well, except that Alex spent much of the ending hanging from a cliff, or at least trying to get up one.) I mean, they pretty much rapped things up, and they only sort of hinted at another game. I forgot what The Wise One said to Alex, but that was all that was the only reason anyone thought there would be another part.

Strider
09-09-2005, 10:43 PM
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/a/badudes-3.gif

Short, sweet and to the point. It doesn't get any better than this.