PDA

View Full Version : the vr missions

Cloud No.9
09-04-2005, 01:16 AM
has anyone completed the mgs1 vr missions disk 100%? is it just me or is it really quite hard? i mean when it comes to the time attack modes i really can't do alot of them.

anyway was it good or bad?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-04-2005, 02:06 AM
A lot of them are hard, but none of them are terribly impossible. They really give a great sense of accomplishment, especially if you're like me and made it a personal goal to get in the top three ranks for each mission, which requires an immense amount of ingenuity and unorthodoxy.

I still pull the game out from time to time just to play the Ninja missions. Running and jumping all over the place, slashing entire crowds of guards in half... That's what it's all about. They really ought to include a mode like that in one of the future games. "Raiden (Ninja)" was a pale imitation.

Big D
09-04-2005, 06:24 AM
I was quite disappointed by the VR Missions disc - you gain nothing by getting 100% completion, even with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in everything. You just get a brief picture of a schematic of MG Ray.
Also, having the Replay Theatre removed from the international version was a bit of a downer, along with the extremely limited 'ninja' mode.
The disc is utterly useless on the PS2, which is most definitely teh suxor - there's a lot of fun stuff there (in spite of the criticisms I gave above), but it's now useless because the PS2 can't cope with some disc-swaps.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-04-2005, 06:46 AM
My PS2 plays it fine. I've never played it on a PS1, in fact. Maybe it's just the PAL version.

That schematic of Metal Gear RAY must have been awesome if you saw it back in 1999, before anything was known about MGS2. I appreciate that.

It doesn't matter that there are only three Ninja missions. Heck, I only need one. More would have been nice, but I love it anyway.

The trailers from prior to MGS's release were a nice feature, too, especially since they're from way before you could easily get those kinds of things on the web.

Photograph Mode is nothing to go crazy over unless you seriously get off on watching Naomi and Mei Ling stand around and fidget, but sometimes I go into it just to listen to the relaxing music. It's also a nice look at the quality that real-time PS1 graphics are capable of achieving if you devote every polygon available to a single model; that's why the photograph area is practically devoid of graphics besides Snake and Naomi/Mei Ling.

Big D
09-04-2005, 07:21 AM
My PS2 plays it fine. I've never played it on a PS1, in fact. Maybe it's just the PAL version.Hmm... you using a big old PS2 or the slimline model?

That schematic of Metal Gear RAY must have been awesome if you saw it back in 1999, before anything was known about MGS2. I appreciate that.It could have been awesome...except that there's nothing to hint at what you're seeing - just a screen saying 'CONFIDENTIAL', followed by a couple of seconds' glimpse of an orange outline that looks roughly like a Metal Gear. When I first saw that, I assumed it was one of the old Metal Gears. Wasn't until this year I learned it's RAY...

It doesn't matter that there are only three Ninja missions. Heck, I only need one. More would have been nice, but I love it anyway.It's definitely cool, but they could've done a whole lot more with it if they'd tried. Say, mini-story kind of missions with a bit of sneaking, some fighting, several different rooms etc.

The trailers from prior to MGS's release were a nice feature, too, especially since they're from way before you could easily get those kinds of things on the web.Yeah, those ruled.

Photograph Mode is nothing to go crazy over unless you seriously get off on watching Naomi and Mei Ling stand around and fidget, but sometimes I go into it just to listen to the relaxing music. It's also a nice look at the quality that real-time PS1 graphics are capable of achieving if you devote every polygon available to a single model; that's why the photograph area is practically devoid of graphics besides Snake and Naomi/Mei Ling.That mode was visually impressive. It was a nice bonus, and some of Mei Ling's moves were cute. Like you say, it is a pretty solid demo of what the PSX can do.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-04-2005, 07:28 AM
My PS2 plays it fine. I've never played it on a PS1, in fact. Maybe it's just the PAL version.Hmm... you using a big old PS2 or the slimline model?
The big old one.

Big D
09-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Same here. I recall someone mentioning that PAL PS2s can't handle the MGS VR disc-change.

Dreddz
09-04-2005, 01:41 PM
i havent beat them all, mainly cause they were boring and hard...

Cz
09-04-2005, 02:25 PM
I quite enjoyed the VR Missions, although it took me absolutely ages to complete 100%. Mystery and Ninja were the best of the bunch.

My PS2 (another fat one, if it matters) had never been able to handle the game either. It must be a PAL thing. Then again, it suffers from Disc Read Errors all the time, so it probably can't handle any PSOne games anymore.

Cloud No.9
09-04-2005, 06:43 PM
i have a PAL slimline one and it works fine.