PDA

View Full Version : Video-game awards

SomethingBig
09-05-2005, 01:15 AM
I didn't see GPhoria, but I read about the results and, to my utter horror, RE4 did not win a single award. Surely there must have been a mistake. I mean, how in God's name can Halo 2 beat RE4 for game of the year? And then I watched X Play. Someone had the same complaint and the hosts said that the fans vote for the games. It all became so obvious.

Votes should be made by unbiased people who actually count, not by random teenagers thinking, "OMFG TEH X BUX IS TEH OWNZ GMVCKYOOB IS TEH LUSS!!!". Halo 2 does nothing new and its victory as game of the year is completely unjustifiable. Resident Evil 4 is infinitely superior to any Halo game currently in existence. It disgusted me how God of War beat RE4 for best graphics. The lava room in the castle from RE4 is easily the most visually stunning scene I've ever seen in a video-game. I'll admit that God of War had great graphics for a PS2 game, but it's nowhere near as beautiful as RE4.

So yeah. Unbiased video-game reviewers or Halo fanatics?

Sephex
09-05-2005, 01:29 AM
It's always going to happen. Don't let it bother you anyway--G4 as a while pretty much sucks. I seriously kind of like one show (Icons), and that show has no annoying pseudo gamer host.

Yeah, Halo 2 is an above average shooter, nothing more. Though, if the people at G4 decided who wins, they wouldn't do a much better job.

bipper
09-05-2005, 01:49 AM
The world works of popularity. Its how the awards define the best - not quality.

Bipper

Lord Chainsaw
09-05-2005, 05:36 AM
I didn't know there were video game awards coming up. But if Halo 2 won like you said it did, then that's pretty good news. It's the best game I've played that has come out this year, although Katamari Damacy is pretty damn close.

And PSO:BB gets thrown completely off my list because Sega can't defend a server side save game from script kiddies.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-05-2005, 05:41 AM
Both Halo 2 and Katamari Damacy came out last year.

JaytodaP
09-05-2005, 02:38 PM
All FPS are exactly the same. Thats why Im good at every single one. The only difference really are the weapons and plot in every single one. RE4 is the hardest most unique TPS there is. You wont find anything even close to it except splinter cell.(Capcom kinda ripped off there camerea but it still doesent make a difference.) I honestly dont care at all about graphics because graphics and sound dont make a good game. I dont get why but there are people who spend hours looking at details and rendering in every single part, like the guy in my EB games. He watches the same FMV for the 20 minutes i was in there and the bastard wouldnt sell me a T rated game. He even said my school ID was fake. Any way, GOW graphics were soooo good apparently, that the game crashed.

Dreddz
09-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Red Dead Revolver should of won sumin......

bipper
09-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Its common thought that you can make the best game ever, and if no one hears of it, it will flop. The same goes for advertising the hell out of a mediocre game - it will do well.

The game awards are voted on; there for your "Red dead pistol" or w/e prolly was not as hyped as halo 2; and did not get the votes :(

I wish they had some nerd judges that were required to play all the games and then release the awards. I would then like to be on eof them judges. Take a brige - get a car - and a bad game still makes the top spot. Nice :D

Bipper :D

Cloud No.9
09-05-2005, 09:32 PM
this is why democracy sucks. a few good people deciding what is best is the way to go.

Lindy
09-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't see what a system of government really has to do with video game awards.

Not one single bit, actually.

Rye
09-05-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't see what a system of government really has to do with video game awards.

Not one single bit, actually.

Cz
09-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Votes should be made by unbiased people who actually count, not by random teenagers thinking, "OMFG TEH X BUX IS TEH OWNZ GMVCKYOOB IS TEH LUSS!!!".The obvious solution is to round up the aforementioned teenagers and confine them to work camps. ;)

It doesn't really matter which game wins these sorts of awards, because we all know that it's going to be some overrated mainstream rubbish. In fact, since we all know that these games aren't nearly as good as people say they are, why should it bother us if they win awards they don't deserve. It's not as if the title of Game of the Year has any serious merit among the informed community. They all know that RE4 is a better title, and don't need some cheap awards ceremony to tell them.

Cloud No.9
09-05-2005, 10:00 PM
becauase like the oscars and stuff the greatness of anything should be determined by the educated few not the masses. critics know what is best compared to folk who buy the games. look at how many movie tie ins get to no1 in the charts but are total crap.

voting and popular numbers are not a way to judge anything.

Shoeberto
09-05-2005, 10:06 PM
becauase like the oscars and stuff the greatness of anything should be determined by the educated few not the masses. critics know what is best compared to folk who buy the games. look at how many movie tie ins get to no1 in the charts but are total crap.

Actually, video game critics suck, and have a previous history of being paid off for a positive opinion of a game.

Cz
09-05-2005, 10:08 PM

voting and popular numbers are not a way to judge anything.My point was that the educated few don't need awards statuettes to tell them what's good. It's best to leave the masses to their foolish opinions and remain proud of your own superiority.

Oh, and Hsu gave a proper reason as well. :D

XxSephirothxX
09-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Personally, I think Halo 2 is overrated by its massive fanbase (they think it's the best thing ever, obviously) and underrated by others. But that's beside the point, really. I watched GPhoria last year, and wasn't especially impressed by it, though it was far, far better than the SpikeTV awards. The only awards show of any kind I've had much respect for is the Oscars, and, even then, I'll never agree with everything that wins. It's not a situation that will work out for everyone involved, so I just don't bother caring about it.

Sephex
09-06-2005, 01:52 AM

Actually, video game critics suck, and have a previous history of being paid off for a positive opinion of a game.

*cough*GAMEINFORMER*cough* Mortal Kombat Deception was an improvement over MK: DA but a 9.5? Right.

Anyway, I don't really trust a lot of game critics because most of them have their own agenda. I hate to pick on Game Informer again, but they do this all the time. I remember they gave a Mario Party title a 2.0 just because they are sick of it. I don't really like Mario Party titles myself, but I thought it was VERY unprofessional of them to rate the game on a personal level like that. I understand that you have to be personal to an extent, but giving a game a bad score because you personally thought the series should stop is very immature.

Lord Chainsaw
09-06-2005, 05:05 AM
Both Halo 2 and Katamari Damacy came out last year.

Well let's all assume for argument's sake then that since we're talking about an award's show this year, "the best games I've played this year" would constitute as whatever range of games would be covered at this year's show meaning Sept 2004 - Sept 2005 seeing how 2005 isn't over yet.

Really, it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about. There's not a gamer in the world that doesn't remember the month of November 2004.

Cloud No.9
09-06-2005, 11:24 PM
what happened then?

Shoeberto
09-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Half-life 2, for one.

I don't think anything else really matters.

Lord Chainsaw
09-07-2005, 11:00 PM
The fact that the biggest games of the year for each of the consoles was released in November is why it's important. Technically though San Andreas was released at the end of October, but you can easily substitute Metal Gear Solid 3 for it as the big PS2 November release.

PC received Half Life 2
Xbox received Halo 2 (11/9/2004)
PS2 received Snake Eater
GCN received Metroid Prime 2

There you go.