PDA

View Full Version : The "correct" jobs for all main characters presented!

Peter_20
09-05-2005, 02:35 AM
http://www.finalfantasyultima.com/ff2.html

I found this site a few minutes ago, and I´ve drawn conclusions from the artwork which jobs the characters are technically intended to have.
I actually think the following party is the correct one:

Frioniel: Paladin
Maria: Black Wizard
Guy: Fighter/Monk
Lionheart: Knight/Swordsman

The reasons?
Frioniel, I think, looks Paladin-ish somehow; he reminds me of Cecil from FF4, with that outfit and stuff.
Also, in the game, it just feels like he´s intended to have skills from both the fighting and healing department;
I dunno why, I got that impression.
Maria has got this darker, "curvy" Black Wizard kind of look, and actually, she starts out with the highest Intelligence. Guy is obviously a Monk or something similar, that´s really, really obvious; I mean - a GIANT with super muscles!
Lionheart looks like this typhical soldier, and he always carries those swords around.
So he´s most likely a pure Knight, no healing abilities but far superior to Frioniel in physical strength.

I like to think of them this way.
It makes sense. :)

TurkSlayer
09-05-2005, 02:39 AM
Congratulations, you've given them jobs that everyone else who's ever played has.

Crossblades
09-05-2005, 04:47 AM
Cool :) h

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-05-2005, 05:12 AM
Since when have Black Mages been characterized by being curvy? If anything, Maria should be a Hunter or an Archer, considering the huge bow on her back.

crashNUMBERS
09-05-2005, 05:21 AM
You have a point I relized about 2 day's ago. Frionel is much like Cecil. Why?? Look at the similarities..

http://www.ffshrine.org/ff4/amanoart/ff4_24.jpg
http://re2.mm-c1.yimg.com/image/1147996177

The way they hold their weaponary. Their hair. They just have some more similarities to discover..

Megalixir
09-05-2005, 05:45 AM
Firion
Maria
Gus
Leon

crashNUMBERS
09-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Firion
Maria
Gus
Leon
Yes that's their origin's name. But what was the point of that post??

Peter_20
09-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Since when have Black Mages been characterized by being curvy?It´s impossible for me to explain, I just associate curviness and certain kinds of looks with black magic.
Maria somehow looks like a Black Wizard, I get that impression.
There is no real reason for this, just like there is none to my impression of Frioniel being a Fighter *and* a decent White Wizard.
I just feel they are destined for these jobs.

Also, concerning the Hunter thing; don´t care about that! :p
If she were a hunter, then where´s the Black Wizard? :confused:

But all right, like this then:
Maria: Hunter/Black Wizard

:D

Crossblades
09-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Refresh my memory. Did Maria ever say in the game that she wanted to be a Black Mage? I could've sworn she did, but then again I could be wrong

boys from the dwarf
09-05-2005, 07:33 PM
i see your logic. firion is a true good guy but a fighter so uses weapons and white magic. marias colours look like black mages (purple and black.) so it makes sense to teach her black magic. guy is a proper tough guy so make him pummel the enimies and leon i dont quite understand. hes a strong fighter but i think you should make him a dark knight(weapons and BM.)but making him a bit of everything isnt a bad idea(swords WM and BM.).

Nick Schovitz
09-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Yeah but what are the jobs for people like on FFVIII and X? I have no clue.

rubah
09-05-2005, 07:38 PM
The only problem with making them specialize in everything is that it doesn't work in this game.

DJZen
09-05-2005, 08:42 PM
all right, like this then:
Maria: Hunter/Black Wizard

That's a terrible idea. Bows cripple intelligence like nobody's business.

Refresh my memory. Did Maria ever say in the game that she wanted to be a Black Mage? I could've sworn she did, but then again I could be wrong

She has about 5 lines in the game, which, paraphrased, amount to:

"Lionheart is still missing, what if he's..."
"Josef! No!"
"That black knight seems familiar, could he be..."
"I'm afraid Richard is..."

and my all time favorite:

"..."

Hinky the Pickle
09-05-2005, 09:53 PM
I always thought X was pretty obvious...

Tidus: Fighter
Yuna: White Mage/Summoner
Lulu: Black Mage
Wakka: Well, I guess you could kind of consider him a Ranger. Just a different kind of Ranger who uses Blitzballs instead of arrows.
Kimahri: Dragoon/Blue Mage
Rikku: Thief/Chemist
Auron: Samurai

Of course, they can evolve beyond those jobs but that's what they start as initially.

As for VIII, well that's a whee bit tougher in my opinion since they all have easy access to all types of spells and summons, so here's what I've gathered from their behaviour/weapons:

Squall: Fighter
Zell: Monk
Irvine: Ranger
Quistis: Blue Mage
Selphie: Thief

Rinoa is the only one that doesn't stand out as being really obvious to me. I guess going with the Final Fantasy sterotypes though she'd be a White Mage.

Sorry for going so off topic. :p

Crossblades
09-05-2005, 09:57 PM

FF X

Tidus - Warrior
Auron - Samurai
Lulu - Black Mage
Yuna - Summoner/White Mage
Rikku - Thief
Wakka - Blitzball Player
Khimari - Blue Mage/Dragoon

Edit - Damnit, nick! We posted at the same time! :p

Ashley Schovitz
09-05-2005, 09:59 PM
What about your peeps on FFVII? their jobs.

Crossblades
09-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, that's kind of hard but here goes

Cloud - Warrior
Tifa - monk
Barret - Sniper?
Cid - Dragoon
Aeris - White mage?
Yuffie - Ninja
Cait Sith - Gambler
Vincent - Shapeshifter?
Red XIII - Fire Beast?

rubah
09-05-2005, 10:04 PM
I would say that Rinoa would be a black mage, considering her Angel Wing limit break.

FF7 would be

Cloud: knight/fighter
Aeris: white mage
Tifa: marital artist/monk
Vincent: gunner
Yuffie: Ninja/Thief
Barret: no clue xD I never used him much. Distance attacks?
Cait Sith: Gambler (setzer :D)
Cid: Dragoon
Nanaki: dunno. blue mage? xD

I wouldn't count kimarhi as a dragoon as it only shows up in one of his overdrives and the fact that he uses a lance. Wakka would be a distance fighter

Crossblades
09-05-2005, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't count kimarhi as a dragoon as it only shows up in one of his overdrives and the fact that he uses a lance.

So? Those are the reasons I consider him a Dragoon

Ashley Schovitz
09-05-2005, 10:11 PM
What are firebeasts and gamblers? and shapeshifters as I never played FFVII due to the ban I've heard, but I can borrow it from someone since at the place we went to says they can't sell them anymore.

Crossblades
09-05-2005, 10:21 PM
What are firebeasts and gamblers? and shapeshifters as I never played FFVII due to the ban I've heard, but I can borrow it from someone since at the place we went to says they can't sell them anymore.

Firebeast and Shapeshifters are classes I made up

Gamblers use slots as attack.

And the FF VII ban is a false rumor

Hinky the Pickle
09-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Yes we did, but my name isn't Nick. :P

Crossblades
09-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Yes we did, but my name isn't Nick. :P

My fault. I was looking at Nick's username and then your post :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-06-2005, 02:57 AM
Okay, I guess this is a General Final Fantasy thread now.

DJZen
09-07-2005, 02:32 AM
*le sigh*

You know, jobs aren't really that difficult to determine, you just make stuff up randomly, it's not like Square is above that... For example, let's examine the jobs in FFVI:

Terra: Mage Warrior (completely made up, I think they meant "we have no idea either)
Locke: Adventurer (what? thief? no! don't be silly!)
Edgar: Mechanic?
Sabin: Monk (natch)
Shadow: Assassin (no, NOT a ninja)
Cyan: Samurai (who didn't see that one coming? I mean really)
Gau: Wild Boy (basically just a description of his character)
Celes: Rune Knight (describes her ability to seal magic, although it's entirely invented just for this game)
Mog: Moogle (nope, not a dancer, just a Moogle)
Setzer: Gambler
Strago: Blue Mage
Relm: Pictomancer (never used before or since, made up for this game)
Gogo: Mimic
Umaro: Snow Man (not berserker)
Bannon: Priest (his "heal" command is supposed to be "pray", which Rosa and Yuna had)
Leo: Great General (they're GRRRRRRRReat! Also just made up, it's not like Celes wasn't a general after all... Shouldn't he be a dark knight or something?)
Biggs & Wedge: Imperial Soldier (or maybe it was the kanji for "meat shield", I'm not sure)

As you can see, Square is perfectly happy inventing names to describe classes when they can't think of any prior standard. Because of that...

Cloud: Soldier, it only fits since he's convinced that that's his identity
Barret: Gunner, he has a gun, what else could he be?
Aeris: Priestess? She can heal you for free like Bannon, only not as often, but more potently.
Tifa: Monk, duh
Red XIII: Lion? Wolf? Wion? Is there even a name for his race? If there were, you can be sure that would be his job.
Cait Sith: Gambler, obviously, even though he uses a bard's weapon
Cid: Lancer, since he's not a dragon knight (there's no king, who would knight him?)
Yuffie: Ninja, again, duh
Vincent: the only point of contention, I say he's an Experiment, but everyone has their own interpretation. It's like electroclash.

Or, if you want to be finnicky, just go with what Square lists their jobs as:

Cloud: Mercenary
Aeris: Flower Merchant
Tifa: Bar Hostess O_o
Barret: Leader of Avalanche
Red XIII: Beast
Cid: Pilot
Yuffie: Materia Hunter/Ninja
Cait Sith: Toysaurus
Vincent: Unemployed :D

FFVIII's character's are another story. You could construe it this way:

Squall - SeeD
Rinoa - Sorceress
Zell - SeeD
Quistis - SeeD
Selphie - SeeD
Irvine - SeeD

This would certainly describe their jobs insofaras they're stated in the game. However, if you were to match it up to other FFs, it would probably be something like:

Squall: Soldier
Rinoa: Mage? Something? I still say Sorceress
Quistis: Blue Mage (sorta)
Selphie: Gambler? Red Mage? Magical Gambler?
Irvine: Sniper

And that's not even getting into the others...

Edea: Sorceress again, probably
Laguna: Ummm.... Adventurer? Soldier?
Ward: Soldier? Lancer?
Kiros: Uhhh.... Knife... Guy? Soldier? Something else entirely?

But all of this theory goes to the wind the minute you apply materia or junctioning. Or espers and relics for that matter.

FFIX is another can of worms.

Zidane: Thief, right? But he has Soldier like abilities as well! Tholdier? Soldief? Bah... He's probably just a "Genome".
Steiner: Knight... With other abilities... Magic Knight? Oh not wait, that's something else...
Garnet: Summoner! With white magic... And... racquets?
Vivi: Black Mage (yay! one that makes sense!)
Freya: Dragon Knight (another one! we're on a roll!)
Amarant: Ninja Monk? (drat...)
Eiko: Summoner... with a white magic oriented trace... errrrm....
Quina: Gourmand. ANYONE WHO SAYS BLUE MAGE GETS EATEN!

It really doesn't help that they don't list jobs at all, especially with all the hybrid classes that could go one way or the other. Not to mention the fact that EVERYONE uses MP in this game. X_X

Next we have FFX. FFX gives everyone classes, right? WRONG!

Tidus: He's not a warrior, warriors never had time magic, and he does very low damage for the most part, unless you decide you want him to do more damage, in which case he can.

Auron: I'd want to say samurai, but he doesn't have any samurai abilities period. I also want to say warrior, but... but... Since when do warriors have enfeebs?

Yuna: Oh great, more of this white mage + summoner nonsense, and now she gets that "pray" ability that I thought they only gave to priests! I really wish they'd stop making all these hybrid classes, it gets rather silly.

Wakka: Aha! Here's an easy one! He has one of the only long range attacks, so he must be the equivalent of an archer! Not so fast, Sparky! His attack/status/element/whatever reels are NOT an archer ability, and archers enfeeb through weapons, not through abilities. So he's basically a whole unique class, which isn't so bad. We can just call him a "blitzballer".

Lulu: Black mage. Right. No further discussion there... Wait... Focus? Where did... OH NOES!!!

Kimahri: Ow! You got your blue mage in my dragoon! Oh yeah? Well you got your dragoon in my blue mage! And why the heck can I cast Ultima?!

Rikku: She can steal, so obviously she's the thief. Oh wait, she uses knuckles like a monk. Well that's ok, because she doesn't have any monk abilities, so clearly she's a thief still. Only she can use unique items and mix them together for different results. Okay, so she's a chemist/thief/monk. Oh and she can enfeeb. WELL THAT'S JUST DANDY!!!!

So you see, there's really no definitive answer. After all, in a game like FFVII, any character could easily wind up being a Knight/Red Mage/Monk/Summoner/Thief/Blue Mage/Mime/Beastmaster hybrid class anyway, AND DON'T TRY TO TELL ME YOU'VE NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE! XD

But for FFII, there's no real correct jobs. Even Amano's art work isn't consistent from one drawing to the next, and the character drawigns on the cover of FFII show Frioniel and Lionheart with swords, Guy with a rifle, and Maria with a bow. Examine the into movie in Origins, and Lionheart still has a sword, but Frioniel uses a sword AND a knife. In the artwork for DoS, Frioniel and Lionheart have swords, Guy has a HUGE sword, and Maria still has a bow. Buggery...

Hinky the Pickle
09-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Lulu: Black mage. Right. No further discussion there... Wait... Focus? Where did... OH NOES!!!
Um... you do realise that Vivi, a Black Mage in it's purist form, had the exact same technique? Since Focus hasn't been used by any other job class other than a Black Mage in the past I think it's fair to say that Lulu is a pure Black Mage. At least at the beginning, but anyone can evolve beyond that.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Since Focus hasn't been used by any other job class other than a Black Mage in the pastIt was originally a Monk technique, even if it didn't work exactly the same way.

Crossblades
09-07-2005, 03:10 PM
*le sigh*

Shadow: Assassin (no, NOT a ninja)
Mog: Moogle (nope, not a dancer, just a Moogle)

I disagree. Shadow is indeed a Ninja. You can't throw weapons and use ninja techniques and NOT be called a Ninja. Even the strategy guide said so

As for Mog, he is indeed a Dancer. How you gonna Dance and NOT be called a Dancer?

Garnet: Summoner! With white magic... And... racquets?
Eiko: Summoner... with a white magic oriented trace... errrrm....

They're also white mages. If you recall, at one point in the game you get a White Robe and it's description says "Robes made for White Mages." Who are the only White Mages in the game? Obviously, Eiko and Garnet.

Quina: Gourmand. ANYONE WHO SAYS BLUE MAGE GETS EATEN!

Say what you will. Anyone who uses Blue Magic is obviously a Blue Mage

Auron: I'd want to say samurai, but he doesn't have any samurai abilities period.

*cough*Bushido*cough*

Yuna: Oh great, more of this white mage + summoner nonsense, and now she gets that "pray" ability that I thought they only gave to priests! I really wish they'd stop making all these hybrid classes, it gets rather silly.

But Hybrid classes are cool :)

Kimahri: Ow! You got your blue mage in my dragoon! Oh yeah? Well you got your dragoon in my blue mage! And why the heck can I cast Ultima?!

You don't have to teach him Ultima ya know. Besides, by the time you get a lv. 4 sphere, the player would probably be to lazy to go back to the beginning of the grid just to learn one ability

Mirage
09-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Kiros: Uhhh.... Knife... Guy? Soldier? Something else entirely?

They are some sort of katars. As for job, I have no idea.

Yuffie514
09-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Yuffie: Ninja/Thief

Yuffie: Materia Hunter/Ninja

...i am not meant to be understood...

DJZen
09-08-2005, 03:53 AM
I disagree. Shadow is indeed a Ninja. You can't throw weapons and use ninja techniques and NOT be called a Ninja. Even the strategy guide said so

As for Mog, he is indeed a Dancer. How you gonna Dance and NOT be called a Dancer?

It's simple, that's their given jobs. The game refers to Shadow as an assassin and Mog as a moogle. If you want to argue this one, take it up with Square, I didn't decide this, they did.

They're also white mages. If you recall, at one point in the game you get a White Robe and it's description says "Robes made for White Mages." Who are the only White Mages in the game? Obviously, Eiko and Garnet.

White mages can't summon. Duh.

*cough*Bushido*cough*

*cough*giltoss*cough*
*cough*bladecatch*cough*

Not that it matters much, Square themselves can't make up their mind what Samurai are supposed to be canonnically speaking.

V: they have the above abilities
VI: Cyan has 8 different sword techniques
Tactics: They have the exact same abilities as magic knights X_X
X-2: some sword techniques... and gil toss
XI: they can ward off demons, and are resistant to demons and blindness, they also have some sword techniques

You don't have to teach him Ultima ya know. Besides, by the time you get a lv. 4 sphere, the player would probably be to lazy to go back to the beginning of the grid just to learn one ability

And you don't have to teach Lulu any black magic, and you don't have to teach Yuna any white magic, and you don't have to teach Wakka any abilities whatsoever. Still, Ultima is the only real ability besides Lancet (which is a DRAGON KNIGHT ability!) in his immediate path. Go figure.

Vivi, a Black Mage in it's purist form

My darling, a black mage in its purest form is the kind you see in FFI.

Crossblades
09-08-2005, 03:41 PM
White mages can't summon. Duh.

So what? They're still White Mages. You can be two jobs. That's why Eiko and Garnet are Summoners/White Mages

DJZen
09-09-2005, 02:49 AM
I'm saying that Square completely breaks all of their own rules, defies all logic, and makes things up as they go with regard to jobs. This makes the whole concept of "correct jobs" not only a moot point, but dependant on perspective as well. You could say that the cast of FFII is entirely made up of red mages, but the fact is from the perspective of any game that HAS a red mage, they're not red mages at all. Red mages have specific weapons and armor that they can learn, and in most (all?) cases they can't learn any spell they feel like. You might as well try and discuss what the correct jobs are in FFV, which I've never heard anything more than a "well I like to go with..." on.

RedCydranth
09-09-2005, 02:53 AM
I agree. People CAN be 2 jobs. Its not a hybrid single job, its the fact they are 2 different jobs. Look at FFT. Yes Orlandu first comes as a Holy Swordsman but you can give him any other job as well. Does that mean orlandu is always a Holy Swordsman/Chemist/Knight/Monk/Preist/Wizard/Time Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/ yadda yadda? No.

This goes for other games. You CAN be 2 different jobs. and yes, there can be alternating skills in different classes.

Here is how I break Down Classes in ALL Final Fantasy Games

Knight - Uses a sword as main weapon, sometimes defends
Monk - Uses fists/claws, can heal sometimes
Theif - Uses Daggers and steals
Black Mage - Uses Black Magic and a rod like weapon
White Mage - Uses White Magic and a staff like weapon
Blue Mage - Uses Blue Magic and has a variety of weapon choices.
Summoner - Uses Summon Magic. Most summoners come with a small array of Black or white magic as well.
Ninja - Uses throw command, and katana or nunchuck weapons
Samurai - Uses samurai baldes and special sword techniques.
Ranger - Ranged weapon. This includes guna, bows and yes, Blitzballs and wrenches.
Dragoon - Uses a lance and jumps to harm opponents often.
Unique - There is nobody else ever like this in any FF. Or if there are, its a job class in either FFV or T

Here's the breakdown of who is what from FFVI, VII, VIII, IX, and X

FF6-
Terra - Knight/Black Mage
Locke - Theif
Edgar - Knight
Sabin - Monk
Celes - Knight/White Mage
Shadow - Ninja
Cyan - Samurai
Gau - Unique (Beast Mimic)
Setzer - Unique (Gambler)
Mog - Dragoon
Relm - Unique (Pictomancer)
Strago - Blue Mage
Gogo - Unique (Mime)
Umaro - Unique (Berzerker)

FF7:
Cloud: Knight
Tifa: Monk
Barret: Ranger
Aeris: White Mage
Red XIII: Unique (Beast)
Yuffie: Ninja/Theif
Vincent: Ranger
Cid: Dragoon
Cait Sith: Unique (Machine)

FF8:
Squall: Knight
Selphie: Ninja
Quistis: Blue Mage
Irvine: Ranger
Rinoa: White Mage/Ranger
Edea: Black Mage
Seifer: Knight
Laguna: Ranger
Kiros: Monk/Theif
Ward: Dragoon

FF9:
Zidane: Theif
Garnet: Summoner/White Mage
Vivi: Black Mage
Steiner: Knight
Freya: Dragoon
Eiko: White Mage/Summoner
Amarant: Monk/Ninja
Quina: Blue Mage
Beatrix: Knight

FFX:
Tidus: Knight
Rikku: Theif
Yuna: White Mage/Summoner
Wakka: Ranger
Kimahri: Blue Mage/Dragoon
Auron: Samurai/Knight

And for fun.. FFIV
Cecil: Knight
Kain: Dragoon
Rosa: White Mage
Rydia: Summoner/Black Mage
Edward: Unique (Bard)
Yang: Monk
Palom: Black Mage
Porom: White Mage
Cid: Ranger
Tellah: Black Mage/White Mage
FuSoYa: Black Mage/White Mage
Edge: Ninja

There's a few interesting choices, let me explain.

Mog is a dragoon because he equips a lance always and I feel he best fits the dragoon boots because in the WoR his dances suck, so he needs something to boost his usage. He's the closest that game has to a dragoon. Sure Edgar can equip spears too, but he is better with swords and his special is nothing close to a dragoons. Not that Mog's was.

Selphie is a ninja only because she uses the nunchucks other than that she's not any class really. her special isn't too unique to a specific class. It does allow magic usage, but its not specific to black or white.

Everything else fall into their nice unique categories. If you want to go all hard on it and say that Lulu isn't a pureblood Black Mage because of Focus first being a Monk skill that sucked, then you really are too hard pressed for what you consider a job class. You must take in account that these are different worlds, each with different systems of magic and leveling up and skill learning. If all those can be different, why can't the job specs differ from game to game?

About FF2,3,and 5. Those characters do not have any given specific class and they are so open with how you raise them its impossible for anyone to fully agee that said person is supposed to be said job class.

Basing it on artwork and what I remember of the game, FF2 would be:

Frioniel: Knight
Maria: Ranger
Guy: Monk
Lionheart: Knight
Josef: Monk
Ming-Wu: White Mage
Richard: Dragoon
Gordon: Knight
Layla: Theif

Any questions? Comments?

Oh, the following "classes" are so unique that they really aren't full classes in all/many FF games:

Chemist - Simply because in most games items can be used by all
Berserker- Because it became a status effect, a pretty bad one too. its like calling Poisoned a job class
Red Mage - Aside from FF1, this class hasn't been done right. Or barely at all. If it weren't for the awesomnes of FF1 i don't think anyone would even recognize the red Mage as a class in its own, but they'd see it as a sucky version of a combo White/Black mage
Bard - Because, so far singing hasn't proven effective as a way to thwart enemies. I think that's why they aren't seen often.
Dancer - Like the Bard, dancing has to come with something else to harm enemies. Unless your opponent is already down and you're wearing cleats, I can't see dancing be too painful, other than to the eyes.
Preist - Well. Its just a rehashed name for a White Mage. Preists heal, as do White Mages. Preists use a staff. So do White Mages. Preist suck physically, so do White Mages. No difference. The use of "Pray" as a skill determines the difference? The why did the ONLY class acctually called preists (FFT) Not have that? They DID have all the White Mage's skills and wore theose white robes with red triangles white mages in FF wear though.
Sniper - See Hunter and Gunner
Archer - See Hunter and Gunner
Hunter - Uses a bow to hit enemies. Long range unit. Aside from that, there's nothing to set this guy apart, and with the set up of FF battles the idea of a long range assailant is rediculous because you all have to stand in a line to fight anyhow. His specialty is the fact that IF there is a back row, he/she can do the same mediocre damage from there as if he/she were in the front row. Only FFT can masterfully make use of a long rane unit.
Gunner - Forget the fact that bullets don't kill in FF. The gunner is essentially the same thing as a hunter, except he does mediocre damage with a Gun instead of a Bow. For the sake of simplicity, these 2 have been combined to Ranger
Paladin - What do paladins attack with? Swords. Always? Yes. So whats the difference between a Paladin and a Knight? A wee bit of white magic? Ok, so whats the difference between a Knight/White Mage and a Paladin? Nothing? So if the person can cast white magic and is a strong swordsman, then they are a Knight/White Mage
Time Mage - The use of time magic has been thrown around the magical spectrum that i feel anyone can use it. Early on there were Time spells in both white and Black magics. Later it became its own job class in the job system, but the class sucked because it never really did damage or helped. Tidus has some time skill for some reason, but it works out. Time Mage isn't a class, its a group of spells that can be thrown into a variety of other classes. From any of the 4 Magic types to status effects of Knights and Rangers.
Oracle - See Time Mage basically.. its just mish mashed. Place where usable in each game.

As far as I'm concerned the classes I named in the character description are the only ones that are real classes in the FF series, the rest are support classes.

Yuffie514
09-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Well, that's kind of hard but here goes

Cloud - Warrior
Tifa - monk
Barret - Sniper?
Cid - Dragoon
Aeris - White mage?
Yuffie - Ninja
Cait Sith - Gambler
Vincent - Shapeshifter?
Red XIII - Fire Beast?

regarding his ability to shapeshift with his limit-breaks, can Vincent also be somewhat classified as part Morpher? Morphers attack w/monster souls captured by Hunters. many of the abilities that Morphers use can also affect status, as well as some of Vincent's limit-breaks.

NeoCracker
09-09-2005, 11:04 PM
I say cait sith has no class, cait sith isnt a person nor does it have a personality. The real question is what is its controllers class? I say Puppetteer cause i like the sound of that

Crossblades
09-10-2005, 04:26 AM
I like the way you think, redcydranth :)

ljkkjlcm9
09-10-2005, 04:41 AM
you know what, I think there are only 8 classes, you heard me, eight, and they're all in FF1

You got your basic fighter, a knight, a thief, a ninja, a monk, a black mage, a white mage, and a red mage. THAT's it... Any character can be put into these classes, a Dragoon you say, well that's just a fighter who uses spears, a summoner, well those are just really good black or white magic spells really, blue magic, again just different white and black magic, basically a red mage with it's own special magic. Samurai, no man, that's just a different type of knight. Ranger, that's kinda dumb, they're just a fighter attacking in the back row, I mean in FFVI anyone could be in the back row and attack long range.

And as for all this unique stuff, those are just different types of fighters, or mages, I mean the characters that use terrain to attack, that's just a type of magic, I mean FFVI mog's dance were basically magic.
SO there, that's what I think...

you know what... I'll edit this to my way
FF6-
Terra - Knight/Black Mage... hmm how about Redmage
Locke - Theif... agreed
Edgar - Knight... definitely
Sabin - Monk.... uhm yeah
Celes - Knight/White Mage... again, red mage
Shadow - Ninja.... yep
Cyan - Samurai... no come on, he's a knight, the best knight in Doma
Gau - Unique (Beast Mimic).... his "beast mimics" are just different magic or physical attack, so he's a red mage
Setzer - Unique (Gambler)... just a different type of fighter
Mog - Dragoon... no man, he's another kind of red mage
Relm - Unique (Pictomancer).... hmmm, i think red mage, she actually did have the best magic atk in the game
Strago - Blue Mage.... nope, definitely red mage
Gogo - Unique (Mime).... no way man, he's just everything, i mean, he's like an FFV character, he can be whatever you want... wait, there were mimics in FFV, what the hell?
Umaro - Unique (Berzerker)... just a fighter with a status effect

FF7:
Cloud: Knight
Tifa: Monk
Barret: Ranger... uhm, fighter
Aeris: White Mage
Red XIII: Unique (Beast)... another fighter
Yuffie: Ninja/Theif
Vincent: Ranger.... I think red mage cause of his limit breaks
Cid: Dragoon... yet another fighter
Cait Sith: Unique (Machine)... fighter

FF8:
Squall: Knight
Selphie: Ninja... sure I suppose
Quistis: Blue Mage... red mage
Irvine: Ranger... fighter
Rinoa: White Mage/Ranger.... red mage, i mean she is a sorceress and her angel wings or whatever limit will cast ANYTHING
Edea: Black Mage
Seifer: Knight
Laguna: Ranger... fighter
Kiros: Monk/Theif... interesting, sure I'll go with it
Ward: Dragoon... fighter

FF9:
Zidane: Theif
Garnet: Summoner/White Mage... red mage anyone?
Vivi: Black Mage
Steiner: Knight
Freya: Dragoon... fighter
Eiko: White Mage/Summoner... another red mage
Amarant: Monk/Ninja
Quina: Blue Mage... argh, red mage
Beatrix: Knight

FFX:
Tidus: Knight
Rikku: Theif
Yuna: White Mage/Summoner.... sheesh, RED
Wakka: Ranger... fighter
Kimahri: Blue Mage/Dragoon... another red mage
Auron: Samurai/Knight... sorry, just a knight

And for fun.. FFIV
Cecil: Knight
Kain: Dragoon... fighter
Rosa: White Mage
Rydia: Summoner/Black Mage... red mage, she did even use white earlier, if i remember correctly
Edward: Unique (Bard)... fighter, a crappy one, but a fighter
Yang: Monk
Palom: Black Mage
Porom: White Mage
Cid: Ranger.... fighter
Tellah: Black Mage/White Mage... a red mage
FuSoYa: Black Mage/White Mage... the ultimate red mage
Edge: Ninja

THE JACKEL

Ashley Schovitz
09-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Oh Yeah here's my list for FFX and X-2
Tidus:Warrior/time mage
Yuna:summoner/white mage/gunner/dancer & singer/moogle
Wakka:Gambler/Ranger
Auron:Ummm I don't know, he has moves like steiner's
Lulu:Black Mage
Rikku:chemist/thief/cait sith
Kimahri:dragoon/blue mage
Paine:Warrior/tonberry
Seymour:Summoner/white mage/ black mage
Hey If you gave these people classes what would they be? K*L5
Zaden Star: weilds a scissorblade, specials abilities are using wind magic and grenades

Christina Bryant:weilds a rosewhip and a snake sword, uses white magic, summons SG's

Mike Piatza:Weilds a samurai sword, special abilities the quickest character, throws ninja stars, and limit break uses a spinning wheel to choose a random attack.

Sarina Torres:weilds broadswords and guns. Uses grenades and steals from enemirs

Sersha:Is an oracle, she weilds magical tree branches and uses black magic.

Justin Star:weilds a claw and uses small and giant ninja stars, likes to poison his enemies:

Sasha:weilds a fan and a parasol, uses white magic, is an oracle.

Cystrella: weilds a wrist statue/ uses dark magic and causes staus ailments to enemies/ is an undead girl.

Krystal Kobal: Is a kelka, uses a lance, and that's about it.

Christmas
09-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Anyway, here is some references about jobs on various FF characters:

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/jobs.shtml

Ashley Schovitz
09-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey you didn't answer my question!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-10-2005, 06:40 PM
That's probably because those aren't Final Fantasy characters. Stay on-topic, please.

crashNUMBERS
09-10-2005, 07:29 PM
you know what, I think there are only 8 classes, you heard me, eight, and they're all in FF1
I think your wrong. You heard me. I think your wrong!!

ljkkjlcm9
09-10-2005, 07:52 PM
I think your wrong. You heard me. I think your wrong!!

that's great but someone posted that exact same link two posts earlier... and just cause they list all these little jobs, doesn't mean they don't all come from those 8 basic jobs...

THE JACKEL

crashNUMBERS
09-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Oh now you explain it's 8 basic's. And someone already posted them?? Damn!!

ljkkjlcm9
09-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Oh now you explain it's 8 basic's. And someone already posted them?? Damn!!

yes, they are THE 8 jobs/classes or whatever you want to call them, and any other job you people claim there is, or even Square claims there is, is just one of those jobs

THE JACKEL

rubah
09-10-2005, 11:10 PM
I think you're over simplifying, really.

That's like saying "In the entire world, you can pick one of fifty careers. And that's it."

ljkkjlcm9
09-11-2005, 12:03 AM
I think you're over simplifying, really.

That's like saying "In the entire world, you can pick one of fifty careers. And that's it."

uhm basically that's what you do....

THE JACKEL

rubah
09-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Right then. Not according to the ACT registration packet.

ljkkjlcm9
09-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Right then. Not according to the ACT registration packet.

and why does that have to be correct?

THE JACKEL

DJZen
09-13-2005, 04:50 AM
So right, here's the real question... Why do we care about this again?

ljkkjlcm9
09-13-2005, 04:52 AM
uhm we don't really care, we're just bored and felt like having an argument... which is the reason I say there are only 8 jobs, to cause more controversy, cause it's fun!!!

THE JACKEL

NeoCracker
09-13-2005, 06:47 PM
uhm we don't really care, we're just bored and felt like having an argument... which is the reason I say there are only 8 jobs, to cause more controversy, cause it's fun!!!

THE JACKAL

*Bows*

DJZen
09-13-2005, 08:04 PM

THE JACKAL

Oh yeah? Well... Uhhhhhh....

You're dumb for saying there are only 8 jobs because there's even less. Thieves, Warriors, Knights, Monks etc. can all be lumped into "fighter". ;P

ljkkjlcm9
09-13-2005, 10:49 PM
hey i never said warrior...

THE JACKEL

OMG I just noticed something that's pissing me off, this stupid auto spell check makes it so my name is spelt JACKAL, but I spell it J-A-C-K-E-L, but it goes and changes it!!! ARGH, is there any way to change this?

rubah
09-14-2005, 01:22 AM
What auto spell check.

ljkkjlcm9
09-14-2005, 04:05 AM
What auto spell check.
well there's definitely something because it keeps putting JACKAL instead of JACK-E-L, I mean I have to put in the dash or it will come out wrong like this JACKEL, see I typed that with an E.

THE JACKEL

Skyblade
09-14-2005, 04:50 AM
There are only two job types. Fighters and Magic Users.

See? Oversimplification is ridiculous. There are tons of classes. Some may be similar, but each has its own abilities.

As to the arguement that a Paladin is a white magic using knight, I beg to differ.

Paladin: Melee class specializing in protecting allies. Skills include Cover, Defend, and other defense oriented non-magic skills.

DJZen
09-14-2005, 11:27 PM
The jobs ACTUALLY break down into tank, damage dealer, healer, buffer, de-buffer, and "etc."