PDA

View Full Version : Anime/Manga

SilverWind
09-05-2005, 02:52 AM
What is your favorite anime/manga?If the anime has amanga counterpart and you've read it, which is better?

TurkSlayer
09-05-2005, 02:55 AM
I don't have one favorite anime, but I have a list.

Inuyasha
FLCL
Parinoia Agent
Full Metal Alchemist
Cowboy Bebop
I watched Outlaw Star when it was on.
... I'll remember more stuff later.

Mo-Nercy
09-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Azumanga Daioh is my favourite.

True, it's not the funniest anime out there. But there's so much more to it that just comedy. I like to think of it as:

ONE THIRD hilarity ("If you get lost, gather round Sakaki-chan!")
ONE THIRD weirdness (most of it in the New Year's Dreams episode)
ONE THIRD cuteness (Sakaki playing with Mayaa. "Meow." "Haaah!")

I've read the manga and, yes I've compared it with the anime. The manga has a few more dirty jokes (directed mostly at Sakaki's breasts)but the anime has some golden moments (Osaka feeding Penguin Chiyo)so I guess it evens itself out pretty well. But I still mourn over certain parts that the anime left out that were just so funny in the manga, like Tomo and Osaka's practice for the 'univeristy interview'. "I pounded in a wedge once!" "Good you pass!"

But the Mayaa + Sakaki <3....Couldn't imagine it being done any better.

SilverWind
09-05-2005, 02:58 AM
Good ones, I guess i should put a list down as well, shouldn't I?

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
FLCL
One Piece
InuYasha
Paranoia Agent
Full Metal Alchemist
...Ummm...I thought I had more, but I'll think of more, maybe.

Edit: Oh right, I can't belive I forgot about this. Excel Saga. Many dirty jokes, no sense whatsoever, very hilarious, and a very catchy title theme song. I love this one!

Shlup
09-05-2005, 03:01 AM
My favorite manga is Mars. I don't particularly have a favorite anime, but for now I'll say Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-05-2005, 03:07 AM
Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon. The manga is awesome, and the anime is pretty good though has a slightly different plot (more to the fact not as indepth plot as the manga). yeah, but this could be bias considering my obsession since I firt watched it in the 90's...Codename: Sailor V is a good manga too, well I say this for it the prequel to BSSM.

SilverWind
09-05-2005, 03:08 AM
What's with the Bishojo Senshi in front of the Sailor Moon, though? I understand it's a title, but any idea what it means?

09-05-2005, 03:17 AM
It means Pretty Soldier. In the dub they dropped the "Pretty Soldier" part.

Faris
09-05-2005, 03:19 AM
Mangas: W Juliet, Kare Kano, Love Hina, Full Moon, MARS and Hands off.

Terran
09-05-2005, 03:20 AM
Im really not that Anime heavy but I like shows like Zatch Bell and One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, and Ruroni Kenshin...I'm weird like that. Haven't read the manga thou..*shrugs*

xtreme112
09-05-2005, 03:23 AM
Ok, just a few:
Manga: Rurouni Kenshin, Full metal panic, .Hack//legend of the twilight bracelet
Anime: AKIRA!!! Cowboy bebop, Orphen, Neon genesis evangelion (yeah, love the classics)Peacemaker and the opening song from gundam seed!!!! ^_^

Madonna
09-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Favorite anime(s), currently: Bleach and Beck.

Manga counterparts: Bleach rocks, Beck sucks.

Favorite manga(s): Bleach and Tramps Like Us.

The live-action of Kimi wa Petto (In Japan, Tramps Like Us is "You Are My Pet") is love.

rubah
09-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Well, my anime exposure in entire series is limited to Trigun. I would say it was better than the manga, because the entire mood is different, and the manga is so confusing to read that I don't get much out of it xD

Reles
09-05-2005, 06:44 AM
My favorite manga is Mars. I don't particularly have a favorite anime, but for now I'll say Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.

I've read Mars, well most of it. I liked it. :)

My favorite anime is probably Fushigi Yuugi, the manga is good too. My favorite manga would have to be Imadoki, which is made by the same author as Fushigi Yuugi (Yuu Watase) and she is the best, no doubt! But all her stuff is fairly girly...

Shlup
09-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Imadoki was cute. I like shoujo way too much. :p

Slade
09-05-2005, 07:08 AM
I dont read any mangas but my favorite animes are;

Hellsing
Ninja Scroll
Mezzo
Cowboy Bebop
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Sailor Moon
Dragon Ball/Z/GT (but it drags on)

Not in that order. Theres probably others too.

MJN SEIFER
09-05-2005, 07:32 PM
It means Pretty Soldier. In the dub they dropped the "Pretty Soldier" part.

Silly Americans. The English Translation still has it though.

frenchfries604
09-05-2005, 08:07 PM
naruto
cowboy bebop
bubble gum crisis
full metal alchemist

Spammerman
09-06-2005, 05:00 AM
[QUOTE=TurkSlayer]I don't have one favorite anime, but I have a list.

InuyashaANime+MAnga
FLCL
Parinoia Agent
Full Metal Alchemist

Manga
Ranma 1/2
Naruto, only first book though.
Megatokyo, the one of the terrificist mangas ever.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Let's see, of the anime, a few favorites are Neon Genesis: Evangelion, Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin is nice, but I love Samurai X so much more), Bleach, Tsubasa Chronicle, Full Metal Alchemist, and Escaflowne. With manga, Rurouni Kenshin (so much better in manga form), Fruit's Basket, Bleach, and Full Metal Alchemist. Hikaru no Go is also interesting, and I'm looking forward to the Kingdom Hearts manga as well.

What I really WANT is for the Disgaea manga to come out.

Bahumat
09-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I have lots of favs, including ones already mentioned, but I also like:

Manga: DNAngel, Rebirth, Chronicles of the Cursed Sword, King of bandits Jing, Dragon Knights, .Hack//Legend of the Twighlight Bracelet.

Anime: DNAngel, Gundam wing (all), Chrono Crusade, .Hack//Legend of the Twighlight.

Jojee
09-07-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm a Gundam Wing fangirl :p

I want to see Trigun.

Luara
09-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Alichino; Escaflowne; Trigun; um... and... sailormoon........ (dont laugh at this!) :lovers:

Destai
09-09-2005, 06:32 PM
anime: either .hack//sign or evangelion

manga: .hack//legend of the twilight.

09-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Alichino; Escaflowne; Trigun; um... and... sailormoon........ (dont laugh at this!) :lovers:

Why would people laugh at Sailor Moon. It is the best! *hugs BSSM*

Luara
09-09-2005, 09:53 PM

:love: very people said its for kids... :love: but I love that story...

09-09-2005, 10:12 PM

FWell you know what I would tell them...(I know it is aimed at 8-12 year old girls) Me too, I am 18 and I am downloading the episodes, and I read the manga. I even have it in my sig. Sailor Moon, though intended, for younger audience, I find has many themes that are suitable for older audience as well.

Shoden
09-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Because I'm in the UK I have to dload good anime.

Inuyasha
Fullmetal Alchemist
Gundam Wing
Rave Master

Manga. (aint read much)

Ranma 1/2

Luara
09-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Ups, I forgot ---> Excel Saga :D :love:

Rengori
09-10-2005, 05:11 PM
My favorite Anime is Last Exile.
My favorite manga is Beet the Vandel buster.

I haven't seen either of their counterparts.

kikimm
09-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop, but maybe more importantly, the best manga ever is Lament of the Lamb. Waaaaaay better than it's anime counterpart, so on the offchance that anyone actually is curious, go for the manga.

Yoruhoshi
09-10-2005, 08:52 PM
I really really REALLY love Yu Yu Hakusho for reasons that should be obvious. And DBZ, which was my gateway anime. And Naruto and Crescent Moon and Digimon and Magic Knight Rayearth and Fruits Basket..........the list goes on forever. *sighs* I'm such a nerd.

PS. If anyone fancies a chat sometime, clicka on my YIM or AIM. I'm always willing to talk.

Use the edit button instead of double posting please.-kikimm

Fuzakeru
09-11-2005, 12:31 AM
. . . favorite anime, but for now I'll say Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien was SO sad. ;_; I don't understand why so many people say its boring and overly done ( daram wise ) . . . well, I can understand a little but it captured my heart. :<3: I read the first manga for Mars and didn't really get in to it. I think I might try again after I finish up reading the thousand other mangas I've put off. :spin:

The anime is quite sad in my opinion and way to geared toward kids; so much in fact that it made me feel molested. Jaykay, slightly. -sigh- It is though a hollow shell of what COULD have been quite awesome. I'm a HUGE fan of the manga!!!!! Usagi is too adorable to not love.

Anyone who says that Sailor Moon is just for kids have them pick up a manga. Usagi is quite sexually complicated in what gender she likes every other book ( xD! ) and the badguys are much more cynical. I lubs you SM. ( even the anime secretly, tee )

I dont read any mangas but my favorite animes are;

Hellsing

If you LOVE Hellsing the anime . . . then you HAVE to read the manga. Andersong ( they wimped him out HARDCORE in the anime ) is my particular favorite character alongside his other crazy Iscariot members like Yumie/Yumiko Takagi and Heinkel Wolfe. Maxwell is CRAZY in the manga with his army of freak killing Catholics and there's a vampire Nazi party who THRIVE on killing and starting war.

In other news for Hellsing, an OVA is coming out that will start over from the beginning and inclue these things from the manga that were left out in the manga. ( HOW could you NOT inclue Rip and Pip!?!?! ) Also, Incognito is the WORST anime villian ever thought up in a drunken rage! Seriously, WTF?

Anyway, like I said the manga is soooooooooooooooo good. Can't afford it . . . then cheat like the rest of us. =D How?? Well . . .

--I don't want to post the link here since there is nudity on other parts of the site and Hellsing itself contains Nazis and lots of gore and I don't feel like testing my freedom of speech. xD! Just PM me and I'll more than gladly link ya. On this site there is also translated scans for Tenjou Tenge, Evangelion, Chrno Crusade, Samurai Deeper Kyo and some older manga.--

As far as me! My favorites include -

Manga ( excluding my favorite doujinshi )

Chrno Crusade
Hellsing ( OH YEAH )
Trigun ( The manga is SO seriously FANTASTIC )
Chobits
Ikkitousen
Indian Summer
Mahoromatic
Azumanga Diaoh
Getbackers
Real Bout High School ( love the manga, hate the anime )

Anime ( excluding my favorite hentais )

Lunar Legend Tsukihime ( Ok, seriously, this one is brand new and awesome )
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Azumanga Diaoh ( cause Chiyo and Sakaki are ADORABLE in motion ( in Japanese ) )
Excel Saga
Puni Puni Poemi ( If you like Excel . . . you'll love Puni Everyone else WILL be scared )
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai X
Midori no Hibi ( O.M.F.G )
Elfen Lied ( Nyuu! Such an incredibly awesome anime )

My gosh, there's so many animes I love.

Black Mage FF1
09-12-2005, 03:41 AM
You're joking, right?

Actually im not. DBZ is the only anime that I can stand to watch. Is there a problem with that?

ThroneofDravaris
09-12-2005, 06:11 AM
Only in that when people talk about boring, slow, tedious anime, DBZ is at the top of the list.

"I have am about to use the ultimate technique to destroy you...but first let’s talk about it for 50 F@#$ing episodes..."

Black Mage FF1
09-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Only in that when people talk about boring, slow, tedious anime, DBZ is at the top of the list.

"I have am about to use the ultimate technique to destroy you...but first let’s talk about it for 50 F@#$ing episodes..."

Same can be said for many animes. Or at least the ones I have seen on tv. And the only time DBZ is on any of those lists are when obessive anime nerds are argueing over what is the best show and someone comes in and says he likes DBZ and gets flammed to hell. Simply because it IS a very popular show. Almost everyone who watches any type of anime knows about DBZ, not everyone knows about most of that crap on the list.

Oh and before any here starts going crazy, I was talking about anyone here. I was talking about a different message board (i think it was gamefaqs). Where I mentioned I like DBZ and I was flammed to death.

ThroneofDravaris
09-12-2005, 03:19 PM
The problem is, DRZ suffers from the same illness that plagues FF7: Fan Boys. You get the same sort of mindless fanatics creating shrines to DBZ characters that you do creating shrines to Sephiroth. The sad thing is, most of them haven’t watched it in Japanese, and have only seen the edited US version. So yeah, most of the time if you saw you like it, you’ll get jumped by elitist bastards like myself. I think the only ‘children’s’ anime that has been shown in the US and is still alright to talk about on ‘true’(and I use that word loosely) anime boards is Card Captor Sakura, and only because the Jap version has 10 year old lesbians…

*drools, then snaps out of it after realizing how f@#$ed up that is*

As for other anime being slow moving, most of the time you will receive some character development during the more tedious scenes. In DBZ however, you get pounded with flashbacks of crap you just saw in the last episode, mixed with lines that a rephrased over and over again to make it seem as if it was new dialogue.

Rengori
09-12-2005, 06:13 PM
ToD wins.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
09-12-2005, 08:28 PM
No he doesnt

Rengori
09-12-2005, 08:48 PM
YES HE DOES.

Black Mage FF1
09-12-2005, 09:21 PM
The problem is, DRZ suffers from the same illness that plagues FF7: Fan Boys. You get the same sort of mindless fanatics creating shrines to DBZ characters that you do creating shrines to Sephiroth. The sad thing is, most of them haven’t watched it in Japanese, and have only seen the edited US version. So yeah, most of the time if you saw you like it, you’ll get jumped by elitist bastards like myself. I think the only ‘children’s’ anime that has been shown in the US and is still alright to talk about on ‘true’(and I use that word loosely) anime boards is Card Captor Sakura, and only because the Jap version has 10 year old lesbians…

*drools, then snaps out of it after realizing how f@#$ed up that is*

As for other anime being slow moving, most of the time you will receive some character development during the more tedious scenes. In DBZ however, you get pounded with flashbacks of crap you just saw in the last episode, mixed with lines that a rephrased over and over again to make it seem as if it was new dialogue.

You say that if it is a bad thing. So what if I havent seen the Japanese version. I live in the USA and they play the USA version. Seeing the Japanese verison doesnt change ANYTHING. Doesnt make you special or anything. And so what if it has a lot of fanboys? Let people enjoy what they want. You want to know why it has so many? Because obviously both FF7 and DBZ are pretty damn good. Now creating "shrines" is going to far, but other then that. Having FF7 as your favorite game or DBZ as your favorite show, there is nothing wrong with that. Its all about opinion.

09-12-2005, 09:53 PM
The anime is quite sad in my opinion and way to geared toward kids; so much in fact that it made me feel molested. Jaykay, slightly. -sigh- It is though a hollow shell of what COULD have been quite awesome. I'm a HUGE fan of the manga!!!!! Usagi is too adorable to not love.

Anyone who says that Sailor Moon is just for kids have them pick up a manga. Usagi is quite sexually complicated in what gender she likes every other book ( xD! ) and the badguys are much more cynical. I lubs you SM. ( even the anime secretly, tee )

Well in the anime (I mean the original not the dub bs that we got in NA) they all show a tendancy to have feelings for both sides. I love Haruka and Michiru scenes in the anime when they flirt with each other. Also is it me or in the manga does Usagi have sex with Mamo, while Chibi-Usa is sleeping in the other room at Mamo's? Cuz it pretty well hinted to that (I am refering to the Dark Moon saga or w/e you want to call it)

Also I find in the manga the plot is so much more deeper, and has many underlining issues like the relationship between good and evil, and their bittersweet attraction.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
09-12-2005, 11:25 PM
YES HE DOES.No he doesnt

kikimm
09-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Yo. Guys. Knock it off, and get back on topic. =D

Skarr
09-13-2005, 12:17 AM
fuck off..........cowboy bebop

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
09-13-2005, 12:27 AM
smurf off..........cowboy bebop
Ha :laugh: Ha Ha :laugh: :bgl:

ThroneofDravaris
09-13-2005, 02:35 AM
You say that if it is a bad thing. So what if I havent seen the Japanese version. I live in the USA and they play the USA version. Seeing the Japanese verison doesnt change ANYTHING. Doesnt make you special or anything. And so what if it has a lot of fanboys? Let people enjoy what they want. You want to know why it has so many? Because obviously both FF7 and DBZ are pretty damn good. Now creating "shrines" is going to far, but other then that. Having FF7 as your favorite game or DBZ as your favorite show, there is nothing wrong with that. Its all about opinion.

Actually, it’s all about authenticity. Basically, no matter how close the English script is to the original, the Japanese script will always be closer to the directors original intent. That’s not to say that all English scripts suck, indeed I prefer watching serious shows like Evangelion and Serial Experiments Lain in English, simply because it’s easier to perceive the emotion behind pivotal scenes. However, shows like these are either VHS or DVD releases, so they don’t suffer from the ‘editing’ that DBZ went through.

Shows like DBZ, Card Captor Sakura ( it was changed to simply Card Captors in the US) and Yu-Gi-Oh all suffer from the same problem in the US: Sensors. They literally cut the s@#$ out of these shows, to make them suitable for western youth audiences. For some reason, the Japanese are more liberal with the amount of sex/violence etc. that can be screened on television over there, so when it gets over here seemingly innocent cartoons can have all sorts of ‘distasteful’ material in them. I don’t really care about violence being cut from anime, but when they start removing things like the sexual attraction between Tomoyo (changed her name to Madison in the US…bastards) and Sakura, simply because the US is a little more homophobic is when they go too far.

Yeah, so anyway they is nothing wrong with liking DBZ or ‘Card Captors’ (..ergh), but I wouldn’t ever bring it up on an Anime board, especial if you then mention that you’ve only seen the US version; that would just be suicide. You will be jumped, and they will enjoy it.

*goes back to watching Eva instead of studying*

Rengori
09-13-2005, 02:37 AM
ToD hit it right on the spot. Anyone who's read the first seven Yu-Gi-Oh graphic novels knows how much was edited out.

Mo-Nercy
09-13-2005, 03:18 AM
Shows like DBZ, Card Captor Sakura ( it was changed to simply Card Captors in the US) and Yu-Gi-Oh all suffer from the same problem in the US: Sensors. They literally cut the s@#$ out of these shows, to make them suitable for western youth audiences. For some reason, the Japanese are more liberal with the amount of sex/violence etc. that can be screened on television over there, so when it gets over here seemingly innocent cartoons can have all sorts of ‘distasteful’ material in them. I don’t really care about violence being cut from anime, but when they start removing things like the sexual attraction between Tomoyo (changed her name to Madison in the US…bastards) and Sakura, simply because the US is a little more homophobic is when they go too far.
Too right. One Piece, Initial D and Naruto are all in th process of being Cartoon Networked. One Piece and Naruto, though not too great to begin with, are going to be butchered and ruined beyond all belief when the violence is filtered out and cut down. *yargh*

ToD hit it right on the spot. Anyone who's read the first seven Yu-Gi-Oh graphic novels knows how much was edited out.
My library recently opened a manga section and all the little kids who have borrowed Yu-Gi-Oh expecting something similar than the cartoon were met with a huge surprise. xD

Rengori
09-13-2005, 03:20 AM
My library recently opened a manga section and all the little kids who have borrowed Yu-Gi-Oh expecting something similar than the cartoon were met with a huge surprise. xD
That must've been funny. :D
And no fair, your library has a manga section?

ThroneofDravaris
09-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Lol, Australia doesn't even have Manga in major novel outlets...

Rengori
09-13-2005, 03:28 AM
(smuggle them from America. SHH!)

Mo-Nercy
09-13-2005, 03:35 AM
That must've been funny. :D
And no fair, your library has a manga section?
I live in a pretty asian area. One opening night it was four full shelves worth but I don't think we'll ever see them all together again given that everyone borrows and reserves. I've reserved Azumanga like 11 times over. xD

Kinokuniya! King's Comics!

I'm pretty sure those two shops are the only places in all of Sydney that are reliable for finding manga. Anime's a bit more accessible but manga's a bitch to track down, especially given that Kinokuniya restock once every 1200 full moons and King's Comics don't specialise in manga but comics/merchandise in general.

ThroneofDravaris
09-13-2005, 04:00 AM
Yeah...I live in Perth (It's the captital of the western side that no body knows about...) so the best I can find is Empire Toys...

JaytodaP
09-13-2005, 08:23 PM
It all sucks.

Madonna
09-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Yeah, so anyway they is nothing wrong with liking DBZ or ‘Card Captors’ (..ergh), but I wouldn’t ever bring it up on an Anime board, especial if you then mention that you’ve only seen the US version; that would just be suicide. You will be jumped, and they will enjoy it.

*goes back to watching Eva instead of studying*I would like to point out that a lot of anime fans also revile Neon Genesis Evangelion because it is a bunch of nonsense, crap, and whining fused together.

However, it is best to see the unedited versions of the aforementioned anime titles (DBZ or CCS), because you get much more out of the story and it isn't mangled like a puppy's chewtoy.

09-13-2005, 11:30 PM
You know what is funny, I could only get CSS in french, cuz at the time I had cable, my friend who had satellite could watch it in English. All I have to say French version is better than the english one.

chocobo hunter
09-14-2005, 12:13 AM
My Favorite Anime: Rahxehpon, Fullmetal Alchemist, Shaman king, Inuyasha

My favorite Manga : Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist

ThroneofDravaris
09-14-2005, 12:19 AM
I would like to point out that a lot of anime fans also revile Neon Genesis Evangelion because it is a bunch of nonsense, crap, and whining fused together.

...I think you'll find that there are far more anime fans that dislike DBZ than there are that dislike Eva. Most anime fans can follow a simple plot line.

Yew-Yevon
09-14-2005, 12:31 AM
see if you like it...http://www.wingsee.com/ghibli/nausicaa/music.html

Rinoa_Heartillly
09-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Favorite manga: Kare Kano, Mars, Sailor Moon, and Wedding Peach
Favorite anime: Inuyasha, season five of Sailor moon, Ah my goddess, Tenchi Universe and Muyo.