PDA

View Full Version : FF2: I keep thinking about proper jobs...

Peter_20
09-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Damn it, I´m having a serious dilemma on this job stuff.
What are the chars actually intended to be?
I know I wrote some requests a while ago, but they always seem to have drawbacks in one way or another.
Firion seemed like this typhical Fighter dude, but he also should use white magic to a certain degree.
That´s alright, his abilities might conflict somewhat, but whatever, not that you´ll need to use white magic every round, just use it in the menu, as long as you´re not in serious need to use it in battle.
Maria, though, I´m not sure; she looks like a mix of a Hunter and a Black Wizard, and if you give her both jobs, then those will conflict a lot.
I was thinking about mainly using black magic with her, and save the bow for use if she runs out of MP, but what if she has to use the bow a lot? That = seriously decreased Intelligence.
And I don´t like running, she might run from a battle I really wanna finish.
Also, I can´t stick her with permanent bow training, cuz I want a Black Wizard in my party, or else it doesn´t feel complete.
Gus is a lot easier, he´s obviously the pure Fighter guy.
Just give him two axes and hack away.
Same with Leon, he´s this Dark Knight/Swordsamn guy, two swords and you´re set!
But the again, what of Maria?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-06-2005, 11:07 AM
What jobs the characters were intended to be, or what jobs you should mold them into? Which one is it?

Peter_20
09-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Both, if possible.
For example, I like thinking of Firion as a Paladin, and Leon as a Knight or something similar, but I´m having trouble with Maria.
She looks like a Hunter, but if that´s her job, then where´s the Black Wizard?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-06-2005, 11:55 AM
You'll certainly have an easier time if you get it out of your head that a Black Wizard is absolutely necessary.

Peter_20
09-06-2005, 12:57 PM
You'll certainly have an easier time if you get it out of your head that a Black Wizard is absolutely necessary.Well, I´m really used to Black Wizards in FF games, and it just wouldn´t feel right with, like, four Knights or something.
I want a complete party, and that means I want a AT LEAST a Knight, White Wizard and Black Wizard in it.
They are like the basics for me, the required ones.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Frioniel: Warrior
Guy: Fat Warrior
Maria: Archer
Lionheart: Dark Knight

Ming Wu: White Wizard
Josef: Monk
Gordon: Royalty (Gilbert's class in the SFC version of FFIV)
Layla: Pirate
Richter: Dragon Knight

rubah
09-07-2005, 12:46 AM
With Ultima and Holy, you don't need black magic.

I never really liked maria as an archer.

Just give them all white magics (cure, life, aspl holy) and just use brute force.

Truly this sets the stage for FF6, 8, and 10. (and I guess 7 also)

DJZen
09-07-2005, 01:43 AM
And VI... And V... And III.... Goodness...

You can make them whatever you want. It really doesn't matter. The whole point of FFII is for you to be in control of who does what, not some designer. For that atter you might as well discuss what the light warriors in FFI were intended to be. Classes were pretty obviously never "intended" until FFIV, and even then, an "intended class" was only a concept in FFIV, FFVI (sorta), FFIX and FFX (kinda). 4/11 (12? 13?) games hardly constitutes a majority, and all of the games with "intended classes" kinda of mixed things up a bit. In FFIV, Rydia can use white magic at first, and black and summon magic always. In FFIII and FFV, Summoners by default only know Summon magic. Edge can steal like a thief, even though he's a ninja. In FFVI, Cyan doesn't have Gil Toss even though he's a samurai, that ability was given to Setzer, the first ever gambler. You can also give out abilities normally given to specific jobs (counter attack, jump, etc.) arbitrarily thanks to the relic system. In FFIX Zidane is generally recognized as a thief, but he has other abilities as well that thieves don't normally have. Amarant might see like a monk at first, but he also has the ninja's throw ability. Eiko and Garnet can both summon AND use white magic, although Eiko has a trance geared toward white magic and Garnet has one geared towards summoning, which is completely backwards since Eiko is the one who still has her horn. In FFX they gave the jump command to the blue mage (Kimahri) and mamde it a basic attack, gave the command input system previously used with monks to Auron who may or may not be a warrior or a samurai, continued mixing up the summoning and white magic with Yuna, and completely made up two new classes with Wakka and Rikku. All that without even getting into Tidus's apparent lack of a class and the fact that you can pretty much just give whichever abilities to whomever you want.

*whew*

Wait... what was I talking about again?

Cloud No.9
09-07-2005, 01:44 AM
make them all all-rounders and equip them with axes.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-07-2005, 01:45 AM
For that atter you might as well discuss what the light warriors in FFI were intended to be.Uhm.

Creed
09-07-2005, 02:04 AM
This is how I made the Characters(this is the DoS but if your playing the Original i think it will be the same either way)

Firon:Warrior with White and Black magic
Maria:A Monk with White and Black magic(frount line)
Guy:Axe thrower with Black magic
Leon:Swords axeman

DJZen
09-07-2005, 02:38 AM
For that atter you might as well discuss what the light warriors in FFI were intended to be.Uhm.

Uhm what? Did I make some sort of glaring typo that I overlooked?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-07-2005, 02:41 AM
The classes in FFI are all clearly defined, so what you said appeared to make no sense. Only now do I get that what you meant was, "You may as well discuss which four classes the Light Warriors in FFI were intended to be."

And yes, you did make a typo. "Atter"?

DJZen
09-07-2005, 02:45 AM
My keyboard's misbehaving again ;P

And yes, I meant you might as well discuss which light warrior was meant to have which job, and now that I think about it, what their names ought to be as well.

Fireblade13
09-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Firion: Paldin
Maria:Your choice with black magic because she starts with 15 int.
Guy: Dual Axes
Leon: Not Axes or swords just 2 really high powered weopens
Both Guy and Leon: Haste, Berserk, Drain

Endonian
09-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Instead of focusing on "Job types" focus on "battle types." Maria is meant to be a mage, yes. But that leaves her other stats lagging behind. Firion can be a good warrior, but he also has a capacity for magic. Again, it's up to you, but the team i always used was:
Firion, All weapons and Black Magic
Maria, Staves, bows, knives and white magic
Guy, Axes, Bare hands and a little bit of white magic, only to be used in emergencies
Leon, Obvious
And don't forget about the shields trick for mastering weapons. Just master the magic FIRST.

ReloadPsi
10-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Just search YouTube for HCBailly Final Fantasy II and go with that. He probably has the most efficient setup I've ever seen for that game.

Benjirino~!
12-30-2011, 11:49 AM
As far as the four 'main' characters go...

Firion is a Paladin, he's got the stats to wield a sword and be your curer. He's not the one you need to prioritise hitting the enemy with, so he can switch to white magic spells when need be.

Maria is a Black Mage, she's back row material thanks to her bow, and is by far the strongest of the four in magic.

Leon is a Dark Knight/Dragoon combo, which basically makes him the coolest guy in the series in my estimation. Though he's initially stronger with axes and bows, his best weapon actually winds up being a spear. He has little MP to begin with, but this does build up, and can be used effectively as a status changer for your opponents.

Guy is a classic Berserker but with an axe, but since I tend to like to double class all my characters except black mages, I also tend to make him a green mage, giving him protection and boosting spells, mostly that he can use on himself (though Firion tends to get the essential ones too).

Of course, any of them could be any number of classes (for example, my team doesn't include a dedicated white mage, which some people would insist is essential for particularly tough boss battles), but that's how I tend to play it.

Pike
12-30-2011, 02:55 PM
My current playthrough of this game is so bizarre. Guy is a wimp with his axe so I just have him cast spells while Maria dishes out some serious damage with her staff.

Yeah I dunno. :Oo:

EDIT: I just realized that this thread was started in 2005. Well then!

Tigmafuzz
12-30-2011, 04:17 PM
My current playthrough of this game is so bizarre. Guy is a wimp with his axe so I just have him cast spells while Maria dishes out some serious damage with her staff.

Yeah I dunno. :Oo:

EDIT: I just realized that this thread was started in 2005. Well then!
You can thank Endonian for the six-year bump.