PDA

View Full Version : Why does my volume not work? ;_;

Jojee
09-07-2005, 12:43 AM
It is uber quiet no matter what program I open any files with and no matter how loud I have the volume thing turned up on my computer.

When I first got the computer my brother told me to uninstall all this bunch of stuff so I did, and I think I uninstalled something that was crucial for the volume or something :p Erm. Any idea what that might be and how I can get it back?

Cloud No.9
09-07-2005, 12:58 AM
uninstalling stuff that came witht he comp is bad news anyway unless you know what you are doing. you could have deleted some sound driver stuff. best bet is to use the recovery disk anyway. have you checked the volume on the taskbar as well?

Vyk
09-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Double click said "volume thing" to open the advanced options and see if maybe the "wave" volume is turned down. In which case anything with direct sound would be mute even if the master volume is turned up. Happens to me all the time somehow. A good way to test it is to play a midi, as they don't utilize direct sound. But there's really no need to test if you open advanced options... Also, I don't think you can "uninstall" a driver. At least not with your typical "Add/Remove Programs" application. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. Though you might also want to check your device manager... (Right click My Computer. Properties. Hardware tab. Device Manager button. See if anything has a warning icon on it or a crossed out thingy or something)

Rye
09-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Double click said "volume thing" to open the advanced options and see if maybe the "wave" volume is turned down. In which case anything with direct sound would be mute even if the master volume is turned up. Happens to me all the time somehow. A good way to test it is to play a midi, as they don't utilize direct sound. But there's really no need to test if you open advanced options... Also, I don't think you can "uninstall" a driver. At least not with your typical "Add/Remove Programs" application. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. Though you might also want to check your device manager... (Right click My Computer. Properties. Hardware tab. Device Manager button. See if anything has a warning icon on it or a crossed out thingy or something)

Yeah, that happened to me.

Hawkeye
09-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Is it plugged in?

Jojee
09-23-2005, 02:04 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about this ^^

But I tried what you said, Vyk, didn't work, wave was already turned up to max along with everything else. And I don't even know where the recovery disk is, Cloud :p

*dies*

Laugh at face of Danger
09-23-2005, 08:15 PM
check the sound card is at full volume?

Old Manus
09-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Deaf?

Samuraid
09-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Make sure your speakers are plugged into the correct speaker plug and not the line-out plug. Also, make sure you have an amplified pair of speakers, otherwise the output will sound very quiet with an un-amplified set of speakers.

Endless
09-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Also check that the speakers volume (speakers parameters in the audio properties of your control panel) isn't set to very low.