PDA

View Full Version : Genre's, your favorites?

ZeZipster
09-07-2005, 02:31 AM
I like...
Ska
Punk
Indie
Emo / Screamo (Not Hawthorne Heights, more like Hidden In Plain View, Brand New, or MCR)
Synth-Pop / New Wave / Electronic (they're all synonymous)
Alternative
Progressive Rock
Grunge (If you can call it a genre, it's basically like saying I like Nirvana and Mudhoney)
Thrash Metal (If you can call it a genre, it's basically like saying I like Metallica, Megadeth, or Slayer)

Kirobaito
09-07-2005, 02:33 AM
Yay for easy-listening folk-pop. Or whatever you'd call John Denver, James Taylor, Eric Anderson, Tom Paxton, etc.

Buster Sword Strike
09-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Classic rock, SOME heavy metal, and Nirvana is my only outsider that I like.

ZeZipster
09-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Yay for easy-listening folk-pop. Or whatever you'd call John Denver, James Taylor, Eric Anderson, Tom Paxton, etc.

I'd call them country.

Chzn8r
09-08-2005, 03:46 AM
Classic, Progressive, Thrash, Death, and Power Metal; Classic, Progressive, and Folk Rock (with a lot of unclassifiable stuff); Symphonic/Orchestrated stuff (not exactly 'classical' though); some Jazz.

Kirobaito
09-08-2005, 03:49 AM

I'd call them country.
John Denver said that he never considered himself a country artist, and James Taylor certainly isn't. Eric Anderson and Tom Paxton are considered folk. But they're all easy-listening, and folk-like, but it wasn't traditional folk, so I went with folk-pop.

Rose
09-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Ska is like the greatest. I love ska. 'Specially the Specials. They are the greatest band ever.

Then I like punk. But not lame pop punk. Umm...Anti-Flag, Oi! Scouts, The Unseen, The Briggs, Street Dogs are really really gooood. And hardcore like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys and Bad Brains are super rad.

I like some metal/new hardcore. Avenged Sevenfold is probably my second or third favorite band. They are amazingly good. Some emo/screamo is ok.

Classic rock is good. Pink Floyd is awesome.

The Man
09-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Metal, and Scandinavian metal in particular. Other styles of rock come in after metal, but I honestly find Scandinavian metal to be more emotionally intense than most music being made in the US right now.

Dreddz
09-24-2005, 08:45 AM
Hip Hop ( UK is the best )
Grime
Garage
RNB
Reggae
Jungle
DNB

Zeldy
09-24-2005, 10:10 AM
I listen to lots of different styles of music =/
The Rasmus.. My Chemical Romance.. The Used.. Cradle Of Filth..

bipper
09-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Rock, some punk, and anything by Nic0tine

Brian The Pink Shark
09-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Anything in Buster Sword Strike's signature :choc:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/insane_lickerhunter/Sig2.jpg

RPJesus
09-24-2005, 01:11 PM
I like...
Alternative
Grunge (If you can call it a genre, it's basically like saying I like Nirvana and Mudhoney)
Thrash Metal (If you can call it a genre, it's basically like saying I like Metallica, Megadeth, or Slayer)
Err... 'Alternative' is a genre, but grunge isn't? How'd you figure that? What does 'alternative' mean except 'not pop', anyway?
Metallica is heavy metal, Slayer and Megadeath are death metal. Thrash metal's faster stuff, like Motorhead (I know they're old, but they basically invented thrash metal).

EDITOLA:
Squinn likes KISS? Bleuugh!

Rye
09-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Screamo (Not Hawthorne Heights, more like Hidden In Plain View, Brand New, or MCR)
Heavy Alternative/Alternative
Opera Metal

Aurey
09-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Too many to name.

Venom
09-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Heavy metal/hard rock from 70s and 80s.

Brian The Pink Shark
09-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I like...
Alternative
Err... 'Alternative' is a genre, but grunge isn't? How'd you figure that? What does 'alternative' mean except 'not pop', anyway?
Metallica is heavy metal, Slayer and Megadeath are death metal. Thrash metal's faster stuff, like Motorhead (I know they're old, but they basically invented thrash metal).

EDITOLA:

actually megadeth arent death metal, they are thrash metal, also there is only 1 "a" in Megadeth :choc:

jrgen
09-24-2005, 04:03 PM
All those bands are Thrash Metal. You must never have heard Death Metal.

This (http://shop.relapse.com/dbmedia/audio/07%20Lashed3.mp3) or this (http://www.atrocity.de/userdaten/thehunt.MP3) is what Death Metal sounds like.

RPJesus
09-24-2005, 04:26 PM
actually megadeth arent death metal, they are thrash metal, also there is only 1 "a" in Megadeth :choc:
Well, they're all pretty ill-defined genres anyway. It doesn't really make a difference what sub-sub-genre they are.
Those two 'songs' are godawful, by the way, Jrgen. Hell ass awful crap.
Anyway, when did you become an expert on muisc? And under which circumstances are Metalica thrash? Thrash is fast- Metalica isn't hugely fast.

lord shishio
09-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Rock

Shoeberto
09-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Experimental alternative progressive techno rock.

And nerdcore hip hop.

jrgen
09-24-2005, 04:47 PM
That's your opinion. No matter how bad you think they are, they're still Death Metal.

Anyway, when did you become an expert on muisc? And under which circumstances are Metalica thrash? Thrash is fast- Metalica isn't hugely fast.
The music Metallica wrote in the 80s is very typical Thrash Metal. In the 90s, they turned more mainstream, away from Thrash Metal. I am by no means an expert on music, but I do know what Thrash Metal is.

RPJesus
09-24-2005, 05:11 PM
That's your opinion. No matter how bad you think they are, they're still Death Metal.
I never said they were'nt Death Metal, I just said they sucked.

The music Metallica wrote in the 80s is very typical Thrash Metal. In the 90s, they turned more mainstream, away from Thrash Metal. I am by no means an expert on music, but I do know what Thrash Metal is.
Fair enough, then.

Traitorfish
09-24-2005, 05:59 PM
I tend not to generalise with genres. For example, some metal, like System of a Down or Rammstein, is good, some, like Murderdolls, is very, very bad. Some hip-hop, like Rage Against the Machine, is good, some, like anything else, is bad.
If I had to choose, I'd say I like metal and rock. I'm not going to be too specific- all this Doom Metal and BlackDeath Metal and MegaDarkBlood Metal crap is just annoying and confusing.

GooeyToast
09-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Experimental
Heavy Rock
Classic Rock
Classical
Techno
Funk
Alternative
Jazz Fusion
Crazy Melodic Circus Music

I bunch of other styles I can't really explain.

Venom
09-24-2005, 06:29 PM
I like...
Alternative

EDITOLA:

Megadeth can somewhat be death metal on tracks like "prince of darkness"

Traitorfish
09-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I like...
Alternative

EDITOLA:

Megadeth can somewhat be death metal on tracks like "prince of darkness"

Why just quote without adding anything? At least say 'I Agree' or something.

Chris
09-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Mine are:

Reggae
Rasta
Roots
Irish Folk
Big Band
Rock

ZeZipster
09-24-2005, 07:29 PM
I like...
Alternative

I said "if you can call it that" because I don't believe 2 bands constitute a genre. The only two grunge bands I even know of are Mudhoney and Nirvana. As for Thrash Metal, well the Big Four Of Thrash are Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, and Slayer so I've got no idea why'd you say they aren't Thrash Metal.

Death Metal = growling vocals
Thrash Metal = heavy and fast riffs

That's how I characterize them, at least. I'm not going to claim to be the authority on a genre of music that was around and died before I was even born.

Dreddz
09-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Reggae

*mwah*

The Man
09-24-2005, 08:58 PM
As for Thrash Metal, well the Big Four Of Thrash are Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, and Slayer so I've got no idea why'd you say they aren't Thrash Metal.

That's how I characterize them, at least. I'm not going to claim to be the authority on a genre of music that was around and died before I was even born.Zipster knows the score. That said, death metal is still alive and well, at least in Scandinavia.

Traitorfish
09-24-2005, 11:14 PM
I like...
Alternative

I said "if you can call it that" because I don't believe 2 bands constitute a genre. The only two grunge bands I even know of are Mudhoney and Nirvana. As for Thrash Metal, well the Big Four Of Thrash are Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, and Slayer so I've got no idea why'd you say they aren't Thrash Metal.

That's how I characterize them, at least. I'm not going to claim to be the authority on a genre of music that was around and died before I was even born.
Didn't RPJesus already agree that Metalica and the other guys were thrash metal? I'm sure he did.
Anyway, just because you've only heard of two bands doesn't mean that there aren't any more grunge bands. How about Pearl Jam? And Sound Garden? Have you been living under a rock? Not to mention a huge heap of other stuff. It wasn't the 'Seattle grunge scene' just cause of old Kobain.

saintofniceness
09-24-2005, 11:16 PM
i tend to like most ,if not all, genres...but i mostly listen to rock or some form of it

The Man
09-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Anyway, just because you've only heard of two bands doesn't mean that there aren't any more grunge bands. How about Pearl Jam? And Sound Garden? Have you been living under a rock? Not to mention a huge heap of other stuff. It wasn't the 'Seattle grunge scene' just cause of old Kobain.Not to mention Alice in Chains, or the Melvins. Although Alice in Chains is pretty much dead along with Layne Staley, but at least Cantrell's still recording stuff.

Leeza
09-25-2005, 01:34 AM
I tend not to generalise with genres. For example, some metal, like System of a Down or Rammstein, is good, some, like Murderdolls, is very, very bad. Some hip-hop, like Rage Against the Machine, is good, some, like anything else, is bad.
If I had to choose, I'd say I like metal and rock. I'm not going to be too specific- all this Doom Metal and BlackDeath Metal and MegaDarkBlood Metal crap is just annoying and confusing.
Exactly. All of this breaking down of every genre into a hundred other different mini-genres is overdoing things just a tad. You might as well just start to list which bands you prefer instead of which genres if you break each genre down to that extent.

Rock and Metal is what I prefer and of those two genres you will still find some crap just like with anything else, but those are still the two I prefer.

The Man
09-25-2005, 01:38 AM
Styles like death metal and doom metal are very far aside what you will hear on mainstream radio, but there is still significant difference between works of each style, and each style has its own history that is generally largely separate from the history of each other style. Just because you've never heard any music of a certain style doesn't mean that there aren't hundreds of bands that fit in each example. Power metal is not black metal is not sludge metal is not grindcore, and even though there are likely many bands that straddle the boundary between each set of styles, fans of one style are not always likely to appreciate the other styles, even if they seem relatively similar upon first listening. The only reason it all sounds the same on first listening is because you've barely ever heard anything like it before.

ZeZipster
09-25-2005, 01:56 AM
I like...
Alternative

Didn't RPJesus already agree that Metalica and the other guys were thrash metal? I'm sure he did.
Anyway, just because you've only heard of two bands doesn't mean that there aren't any more grunge bands. How about Pearl Jam? And Sound Garden? Have you been living under a rock? Not to mention a huge heap of other stuff. It wasn't the 'Seattle grunge scene' just cause of old Kobain.

No, I'm fairly sure he said Metallica. What's it matter if I'm reiterating what they said? I like to directly respond to people who ask me questions. I find it rude to ignore people, regardless of how many people have responded to them already.

I never claimed that Nirvana and Mudhoney were the only grunge bands. Are you denying grunge's unpopularity? How many people, on average, do you think even know of grunge's existence? Not that many. In addition to that, the difference between punk and grunge is essentially just tempo and distortion. It's barely a genre if not a sub-genre, and even in it's peak it was more scene than a genre anyways. Just like emo is. In fact, a lot new grunge bands are being mistaken for emo bands (www.myspace.com/aprilsixth).

The Man
09-25-2005, 02:05 AM
I think quite a few people, when you say the word "grunge," will immediately think of Seattle. Perhaps your generation, not having been old enough to remember the early Nineties well, is largely ignorant of the style, but I'd be sorely disappointed in anyone my age who didn't know what it was.

ZeZipster
09-25-2005, 02:09 AM
I think quite a few people, when you say the word "grunge," will immediately think of Seattle. Perhaps your generation, not having been old enough to remember the early Nineties well, is largely ignorant of the style, but I'd be sorely disappointed in anyone my age who didn't know what it was.

My generation? My parents don't know about grunge, neither do any of my parent's friends (or so I'm assuming). Grunge had a short life.

The Man
09-25-2005, 02:15 AM
By the same token, your parents were probably too old for grunge. Most people in our parents' generations stopped listening to new music in the mid-Eighties (I'm grossly overgeneralizing here, of course).

Vaprice
09-25-2005, 02:20 AM
Kpop..................and more kpop.....

fire_of_avalon
09-25-2005, 03:21 AM
Hey, I like music.

crashNUMBERS
09-25-2005, 03:50 AM
Punk
Grunge
Emo
Alternative
Rap
Hip-Hop (Not the same)
Techno
Trance
Old school rap

jrgen
09-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Styles like death metal and doom metal are very far aside what you will hear on mainstream radio, but there is still significant difference between works of each style, and each style has its own history that is generally largely separate from the history of each other style. Just because you've never heard any music of a certain style doesn't mean that there aren't hundreds of bands that fit in each example. Power metal is not black metal is not sludge metal is not grindcore, and even though there are likely many bands that straddle the boundary between each set of styles, fans of one style are not always likely to appreciate the other styles, even if they seem relatively similar upon first listening. The only reason it all sounds the same on first listening is because you've barely ever heard anything like it before.
Exactly!

Although if someone claims that Power Metal and Grindcore sounds the same, he's most likely an idiot.

Rusty
09-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Rap, hip hop and some R&B. But I have songs I like which are from other genre's too.

The Man
09-25-2005, 08:58 PM
One other thing to note is that a band don't always provide the best classification of their own music. For example, Mikael Åkerfeldt once remarked that Opeth are a black metal band, or so I hear. :shifty:

jrgen
09-25-2005, 09:01 PM
One other thing to note is that a band don't always provide the best classification of their own music. For example, Mikael Åkerfeldt once remarked that Opeth are a black metal band, or so I hear. :shifty:
Haha.

Crushed Hope
09-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Thrash metal is a genre, just because you only know the three most popular bands in it doesn't mean there are not others in it.

Here is a list of my favorite genres and bands.
Death metal:
Miasma
Amorphis
Possessed
Death
Atheist
Saprogenic
Necronomicon
Crypt of Kerberos
Vital Remains
Psycroptic
Sleep Terror
Demilich
Nocturnus
The Chasm
Pestilence
Epoch of Unlight
Krisiun
Wormed
Malevolent Creation
Seance
Monstrosity
Deathchain
Rottrevore
Deceased
Lykathea Aflame
Cephalectomy
Decapitated
Gorguts
Disarmonia Mundi
Spawn of Possession
Massacra
Darkthrone
Rigor Mortis
The Amenta
Intestine Baalism
(first album) Bal-Sagoth
Repulsion
Pentacle
The Project Hate MCMXCIX

Power/Thrash/Heavy:
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Heathen
Morgana Lefay
Winter's Bane
Iced Earth
Kamelor
The Lord Weird Slough Feg
RUnning Wild
Falconer
Alogia
Nevermore
Cyberya
Manticora
Megadeth
King Diamond
Coroner
Exodus
Hirax
Blind Guardian
Grave Digger
Edguy
Rage
Seven Witches
Nocturnal Rites
Virgin Steele
Helloween
Sex Machineguns
Savage Circus
Persuader
Therion
Sauron

Avant-garde/Post-Black/Progressive:
Pain of Salvation
Arcturus
Ephel Duath
Maudlin of the Well
Kayo Dot
Subterranean Masquerade
Carnival in Coal
Fantomas
Spastic Ink
Spiral Architect
Dream Theater (to a point)
Gordian Knot

Gothic:
Saviour Machine
Penumbra
Tiamat( Yes, I know they have Death material but I love their more Gothic material)
Green Carnation
Graveworm
Theatre of Tragedy
The Sins of thy Beloved
Theatre des Vampires
Beseech

Black/Viking/Folk:
Aes Dana
Agalloch
Ancient Rites
Ancient Wisdom
...and Oceans
Anoerexia Nervosa
Arkona
Ashtar
Asmegin
Aura Noir
Axis of Perdition
Bathory
Beherit
Belenos
Blut Aus Nord
Borknagar
Burzum
Butterfly Temple
Celtic Frost
Covenant
Darkthrone
Deathspell Omega
Diabolical Masquerade
Dornenreich
Drudkh
Einherjer
Elfsword
Eluveitie
Elvenking(while power I like to keep them on my folk playlist)
Emperor
Empyrium
Ensiferum
Enslaved
Enslavement of BEauty
Equilibrium
Falkenbach
Fejd
Forefather
Gate
Glittertind
Grand Alchemist
Grand Belial's Key
Graveland
Hirilorn
Immortal
Imperial Crystanline Entombment
In Extreme
In the Woods
Isengard
Judas Iscariot
Keep of Kalessin
Korpiklaani
Lacrimosa
Limbonic Art
Manegarm
Menhir
Mithotyn
Moonsorrow
Negura Bunget
Nokturnal Mortum
Otyg
Peccatum
Sad Legend
Saurum Lamderth
Sigh
Sirius
Skyclad
Sorcier Des Glaces
Stargazer
Stille Volk
Subway to Sally
Summoning
The Meads of Asphodel
Thyrfind
Tyr
Ulver
Velvet Cacoon
Venom
Vesperian Sorrow
Vintersorg
Windir
Woods of Ypres
Yggdrasil

Doom/Sludge/Stoner:
Acid Bath
Agents of Oblivion
Candlemass
Grief
St. Vitus
Isis
Melvins
Ocean Chief
Seemless
Sleep
Spiritual Beggars
Cult of Luna

Dreddz
09-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Rap, hip hop and some R&B. But I have songs I like which are from other genre's too.
*mwah*

jrgen
09-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Intestine Baalism
Therion
Covenant
Dornenreich
Lacrimosa
Nokturnal Mortum
Sad Legend
Sigh
Subway to Sally
Awesome bands! Dornenreich is one of my absolute favourite bands. New album in November.

Lyde Lyde
09-28-2005, 01:28 PM
No I'm more into classical, soul, and smooth R&B.
They sooth the soul.

RPJesus
09-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Thrash metal is a genre, just because you only know the three most popular bands in it doesn't mean there are not others in it.

Death metal
Power/Thrash/Heavy
Avant-garde/Post-Black/Progressive
Gothic
Black/Viking/Folk
Doom/Sludge/Stoner

Some of these, e.g. Post-Black, Sludge, seem to be barely existent sub-sub-genres. There's no point in pigeon-holing bands- you may aswell put every single band, or even song, in to a genre of its own. That is, if they didn't all sound exactly the same.
p.s. I've accepted death and thrash metal as genres, so don't bother me about that. And no 'Oh, so as long as you accept it...' crap.

ZeZipster
09-28-2005, 07:22 PM

Death metal
Power/Thrash/Heavy
Gothic
Black/Viking/Folk
Doom/Sludge/Stoner

Some of these, e.g. Post-Black, Sludge, seem to be barely existent sub-sub-genres. There's no point in pigeon-holing bands- you may aswell put every single band, or even song, in to a genre of its own. That is, if they didn't all sound exactly the same.
p.s. I've accepted death and thrash metal as genres, so don't bother me about that. And no 'Oh, so as long as you accept it...' crap.

I would agree with this, if most of the bands themselves didn't use the sub-sub-genres to describe themselves on their purevolume and myspace.com pages.

jrgen
09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Some of these, e.g. Post-Black, Sludge, seem to be barely existent sub-sub-genres.
Just because you don't know of a band doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Crushed Hope
09-29-2005, 01:08 AM

Death metal
Power/Thrash/Heavy
Gothic
Black/Viking/Folk
Doom/Sludge/Stoner

Post-black is a very "different" genre yet it does exist, check out Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors, Solefald - Pills for the Ageless Ills, Vintersorg - The Focusing Blur.

Sludge is also a very legit genre.

Check out: Eyehategod, Crowbar, Grief, Bongzilla, Cult of Luna, Acid Bath, Pelican, Soilent Green, Corrosion of Conformity etc.

kikimm
09-29-2005, 01:18 AM
I've never been able to understand how to categorize what I listen to; alternative, punk, emo, screamo, I just don't get it, and I'd cool with that.

I like rock music. :bigsmile:

The Man
09-29-2005, 01:57 AM
Post-black is a very "different" genre yet it does exist, check out Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors, Solefald - Pills for the Ageless Ills, Vintersorg - The Focusing Blur.I'd add Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape to that list, as well. I still really need to get some Arcturus.

Sludge is also a very legit genre.

Check out: Eyehategod, Crowbar, Grief, Bongzilla, Cult of Luna, Acid Bath, Pelican, Soilent Green, Corrosion of Conformity etc.Yes. To this list I need to add Isis as well. Soilent Green in particular is excellent.

Slade
09-29-2005, 03:12 AM
Any type of rock music and any type of classical music. And its awsome when both are mixed.

jrgen
09-29-2005, 02:39 PM
I'd add Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape to that list, as well.
I'd add all of Sigh's later albums.

Moose Knight
10-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Graveland

haha

Crushed Hope
10-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Graveland

haha

You have a problem with Darken good sir?

RPJesus
10-03-2005, 07:19 PM

Death metal
Power/Thrash/Heavy
Gothic
Black/Viking/Folk
Doom/Sludge/Stoner

I would agree with this, if most of the bands themselves didn't use the sub-sub-genres to describe themselves on their purevolume and myspace.com pages.
I didn't mean that it was the bands that catergorised themselves that way (although some do). It's usually just stupid fans and journalists. A really good band can move between genres, and so can't really be classified.

Some of these, e.g. Post-Black, Sludge, seem to be barely existent sub-sub-genres.
Just because you don't know of a band doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
i've heard of some of those bands (I never said they didn't exist), but the genres are just idiotic attempts to over-classify everything.

jrgen
10-03-2005, 07:40 PM
i've heard of some of those bands (I never said they didn't exist), but the genres are just idiotic attempts to over-classify everything.
There is no such thing as over-classifying if it's done properly. Are you saying music that doesn't fit in any existing genres should be left unclassified?

RPJesus
10-04-2005, 07:02 PM
There is no such thing as over-classifying if it's done properly. Are you saying music that doesn't fit in any existing genres should be left unclassified?
It's not done properly. That's the problem. And I never said any of that. Just that bands shouldn't be put in to genres so ridiculous and precise.

jrgen
10-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Personally I find precision to be something postive when reading a description of some sort. And what's wrong with genres such as post-black metal?

Crushed Hope
10-04-2005, 08:25 PM
It's not done properly. That's the problem. And I never said any of that. Just that bands shouldn't be put in to genres so ridiculous and precise.
I did do it properly thank you, listen to the bands I mentioned as Post-black and then come back later.

Those bands are not put in ridiculously precise genres, post-black has a very (while each band making it sound very unique) general sound.

I don't really blame you, as I doubt you listen to all the different genres as I do (not bragging about it) but if you did you would realized that there is a reason for all the minor classifications.

RPJesus
10-05-2005, 05:48 PM
I did do it properly thank you, listen to the bands I mentioned as Post-black and then come back later.
I have heard some. But my point wasn't what genres the bands belonged to, but how stupid some of those genres were.

Those bands are not put in ridiculously precise genres, post-black has a very (while each band making it sound very unique) general sound.
That makes no sense. It's generic but original?

I don't really blame you, as I doubt you listen to all the different genres as I do (not bragging about it) but if you did you would realized that there is a reason for all the minor classifications.
Genres can be vague. They don't all have to be so exact. Because one bands guitar sounds slightly different than an other isn't a reason to create or put it in another genre.

Captain VooDoo
10-05-2005, 06:16 PM
I like metal.
love,heavy and the general metal.
its loud.
i also like rock,vaguely alternitive folk rock,grunge,whatever the cure are and death metals pretty good.

Captain VooDoo
10-05-2005, 06:20 PM

Genres can be vague. They don't all have to be so exact. Because one bands guitar sounds slightly different than an other isn't a reason to create or put it in another genre.

RPJesus is sort of right, genres are preety vague sometimes, but there just a way to sort things out, like cheeses have different names to sort them so people do not get confused, besides genres don't matter it should really be about the band not what genre they are.

jrgen
10-05-2005, 06:51 PM
There are stupid genres, such as white metal or love metal, but post-black metal is without a doubt a valid genre.

Moose Knight
10-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Graveland

haha

Have you ever read one of his interviews, or seen one of his album covers? Graveland renders joke bands like Impaled Northern Moonforest obsolete. And he's a POLISH NAZI.

Crushed Hope
10-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Yes, I have read Darken interviews and have seen his covers ...

Graveland renders joke bands like Impaled Northern Moonforest obsolete.
Haha, no.

So what if he is a Polish Nazi? His music is great.

ZeZipster
10-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Graveland

haha

And he's a POLISH NAZI.

That's discrimination. Polish people can be just as good Nazis as Germans. They just make sausage instead of oppressing people and stuff. Nazis need sausage.

Omi4000
10-06-2005, 08:27 AM
rock and urban because 2-pac rulz

jrgen
10-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Graveland

haha

Have you ever read one of his interviews, or seen one of his album covers? Graveland renders joke bands like Impaled Northern Moonforest obsolete. And he's a POLISH NAZI.
He looks good too.

http://ruthlessreviews.com/pics5/bm2/bm9.jpg

Moose Knight
10-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Haha. That's seriously my favorite picture ever.

His music's not even that great either. Its just Bathory with worse vocals.

Crushed Hope
10-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Haha. That's seriously my favorite picture ever.

His music's not even that great either. Its just Bathory with worse vocals.

o_O It is just ... no.

Graveland is Bathory with just as good music, and more folky elements added into it. Immortal Pride >>> Hammerheart.

RPJesus
10-07-2005, 09:24 PM
There are stupid genres, such as white metal or love metal, but post-black metal is without a doubt a valid genre.
Love-metal is just the name of one of HIMs albums. They're not really. Because it doesn't exist as a genre.
Post-black, a valid genre. Alright, then explain it. Something you've failed to do. Blame me 'cause I don't know squat, honestly! No ones told me! :rolleyes2

jrgen
10-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Love-metal is just the name of one of HIMs albums. They're not really. Because it doesn't exist as a genre.
Post-black, a valid genre. Alright, then explain it. Something you've failed to do. Blame me 'cause I don't know squat, honestly! No ones told me! :rolleyes2
I honestly can't make out what you're trying to say here. Sorry.

Crushed Hope
10-08-2005, 01:06 AM
He was asking for this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-black_metal

Moose Knight
10-08-2005, 07:14 PM
He was asking for this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-black_metal

As a side note, does post-black differ from "avant-garde" metal or are they the same? I always see the same bands listed in either category (Arcturus, ...And Oceans, Ulver, etc.).

jrgen
10-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Avant-garde just refers to the unique/original elements of the music. Post-black metal does often contain many unique(or avant-garde) attributes, but there are also common, non-avant-garde elements, which all post-black metal bands share. Otherwise it wouldn't be a genre. Avant-garde isn't an actual genre as it could be anything. It's more like an adjective to put in front of the genre it shares the most similarities with, just like, for example, the word 'experimental'.

escobert
10-08-2005, 08:03 PM
rap/pop punk :D I know you all really hate me now ;)