PDA

View Full Version : Are there unique cards in this game?

Peter_20
09-07-2005, 09:51 AM
I recently got the Zell card, and I was gonna refine it into some nice Hyper Wrists, but Iīm a collector, and I donīt wanna lose any "loseable" stuff here.
Is there any way to get back high level cards like this one after refining them?
Are there more than one?

Iceglow
09-07-2005, 11:36 AM
all GF and Player cards are unique (also there is but one unique boss card...PuPu) but there is something to remember (whilst this is entirely up to you on if you do it) the items gained from refining player and gf cards are very hard to get (disc 3 high level item refining or rare item ability required) and can be very useful for raising powerful gf's. Now I haven't played FF8 in a long while but back when I did I had every card and the clock was frozen (though the memory card clock read well over 500 hours) I had every item and was considered either (a) Insane or (b) one of the most useful walking FF8 guides around here. I believe that there is a way to regain such cards if modded for items on disc 4 (queen of cards her rules such a pain to do.) However I cannot personally remember if it is merely the cards gained in the QoC quest or all said unique cards available in game. My honest advice is if you don't mind playing for extra time and going up to level 100 with all your chars then don't mod especially for hyper wrists (not the best item to come from card modding neither is the samantha souls gained from the Quistis card) and wait untill disc 3 to gain the items from fights and modding items.

Any further questions like where to get player cards and gf then just pm me. Hope I help

Mittopotahis
09-07-2005, 12:22 PM
No, you cannot get back gf or Character Cards. But they are only cards, I am planning on refining them all just before the final battle, cause that is basically there only use then. I just need to get a new 4th disc :(

G SpOtZ
09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
refining the gilgamesh card must be one of the best things i've ever done. although i haven't gotten to using any of the holy wars yet. thought maybe i'd use it against ultima weapon or something. all i recommend is getting EVERY type of card you can. once you have every card (and multiples of every card, becasue sometimes you need to more than one to refine things) you won't have much of a reason to play with the cards anymore, and that's when you know that you can start refining.

Skyblade
09-07-2005, 02:13 PM
You can get back GF cards at least, and I'm fairly sure that you can get back player cards. On Disc 4, if you completed the CC Club quest, play the CC Jack, and he will have "unique" cards that you have already refined. He also has Space Station rules.

Peter_20
09-07-2005, 02:51 PM
You can get back GF cards at least, and I'm fairly sure that you can get back player cards. On Disc 4, if you completed the CC Club quest, play the CC Jack, and he will have "unique" cards that you have already refined. He also has Space Station rules.I guess Iīll just keep the rare cards until I get to this CC thing, and then Iīll try refining one of them and keep a lookout for it while playing the card games against him.
If I spot any of them during the game, itīs REFINEMENT TIME! :D

Skyblade
09-07-2005, 05:51 PM
You can get back GF cards at least, and I'm fairly sure that you can get back player cards. On Disc 4, if you completed the CC Club quest, play the CC Jack, and he will have "unique" cards that you have already refined. He also has Space Station rules.I guess Iīll just keep the rare cards until I get to this CC thing, and then Iīll try refining one of them and keep a lookout for it while playing the card games against him.
If I spot any of them during the game, itīs REFINEMENT TIME! :D

No, you can't get more than one of any unique card. But I have refined Gilgamesh's card, and then won it back in a game against the CC Joker.

Oh, and you have to complete the CC Quest earlier in the game to get them to show up in Disc 4.

Laugh at face of Danger
09-07-2005, 06:35 PM
There are "two" ifrits kinda - but you lose it and get it back so it doesn't really count i suppose

Iceglow
09-11-2005, 07:07 PM
yes but you still cant refine ifrit before loosing him and by the way its exactly the same card. Like I said it is possible to wipe out the rules (apart from open) in every region its just difficult and time consuming (possibly over a 1000 resets throughout the challenge) meaning the CC members on disc 4 all have one rule Open which makes for easy wins

HunterFlamebrow
09-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Why not refine cards? Chances are, most of them you will never use (including unique cards, if you have more than 5), and without all those annoying Level 1-5 cards cluttering up your inventory, Random games become much easier.

And, to my knowledge, there's no reward for having one of each card in your inventory, so really, there's no reason not to refine everything but the things you can't (because you don't have enough, for example Elvorets), and the things you want to use.

nik0tine
09-13-2005, 03:42 AM
If you complete the Card Club sidequest in disk 2 or 3 you can regain any rare card on disk four when you retrieve the ragnarok. It's not that easy to do though, since you have no idea who has what card.

Big D
09-13-2005, 09:26 AM
...but it is helpful to know you can get unlimited replacements for any card, no matter how rare.

Basically, you just need to find the weakest opponent on board the Ragnarok (whoever's using the simplest rules, basically) and keep playing him or her until every rare card is back in your hands. Any given CC Group member can theoretically have any replacement card; a card doesn't get 'assisgned' to a member until you actually play that member and see the card in their deck.