PDA

View Full Version : FF IV points for PS

karatehero
09-07-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm playing FF IV for the first time on the PS. I've played the version for the SNES about 10 bazillion times, so I've noticed a couple things.

1 - As I said in another quote, the sound in this game is terrible. All the effects sound like they are in a box.
2 - It takes WAY too long to save your game. It takes like 45 seconds each time. The SNES version only takes about 2 seconds.
3 - Why did they add a bunch of items like SilkWeb and Baccus and give you no way to figure out what they do without the manual?
4 - Is it just me or is this game MUCH harder? I NEVER had a problem with the SNES version. This new version seems much more difficult.

Anyone agree?

Takara
09-07-2005, 08:21 PM
I won't commen on 1 and 2 since the subject was brought up and discussed countless times already, but as for 3 and 4, it's because the PSX version is the original version of FFIV (AKA Hardtype). The SNES version we had (which was released BEFORE the Easytype version in Japan, by the way) was made much easier because apparently, we people in North America were considered too stupid to play such a hard game with so many different items.

So in the SNES version, enemies were all on one row, for example, whereas in the original version, they were in the front and back row like the characters. And instead of having various items to heal status effects in the SNES version, they only had one. The original had maiden kisses to cure frog, diet foods to cure piggy, and so on. Plus, we get those nifty items like the ones Cecil uses in the intro that we can use in combat. And let's not forget the uncensored stuff. ;)

If you ask me, loading times and horrible sound aside, I'm quite glad they decided to release the original version on the PSX insted of giving us "Final Fantasy II" again. We finally got to play the game as it was designed to be played, and the challenge makes it worth it.

DJZen
09-08-2005, 02:02 AM
3 - Why did they add a bunch of items like SilkWeb and Baccus and give you no way to figure out what they do without the manual?

Because it's an RPG. You're SUPPOSED to read the manual with RPGs.

karatehero
09-08-2005, 02:50 PM
I see what you mean. However, they make a short menu at the top of the screen that gives info on some items. Like it says potions raise HP. Why not do that for all of them?

I didn't know the game was made harder, I just thought I was rusty :rolleyes2 . Its good to know it isn't my skills.

Seriously though, the sound and loading times drive me nuts! :mad2:

Lawr
10-14-2005, 11:14 PM
I have that type too.
Easy type you can beat the game at level 51+
In Hadrtype now thats a whole nother story
At level 51 Hardtype you can barely beat a Behemoth
and plus you can only buy Ethers at one shop in the whole
world, and Elixers sometimes sell for 1 GP but are bought
for at least 150,000. Lots of things have changed but there is a good thing,
The only reason to get Hard type...the Developers Room.

TheAbominatrix
10-14-2005, 11:18 PM
The American version wasnt Easy Type. It was easier than the Japanese original (Hard Type) but Easy Type was WAY easier than either of those. There's a link to all the Easy Type differences in the FAQ of this forum.

KoShiatar
10-15-2005, 10:08 PM
The American version wasnt Easy Type. It was easier than the Japanese original (Hard Type) but Easy Type was WAY easier than either of those. There's a link to all the Easy Type differences in the FAQ of this forum.

Uh, I hadn't gotten that. Ok, now I know something more.

TheAbominatrix
10-15-2005, 11:29 PM
I didnt know either, until someone pointed it out to me and I did a bit of research on it. It's cool to know :)

DJZen
10-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Yeah, it's one of those instances of common knowledge being wrong. Like the people who think that Final Fantasy Adventure isn't a Final Fantasy game, or the people who think that Aeris can't be revived.