PDA

View Full Version : Avril Lavigne topic!

Princess_Yuna
09-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Hello there I'm here to ask you if you like Avril............and talk about her!So everyone who likes her is welcome!(and those who doesn't like her too)............................. :p :D

Destai
09-07-2005, 04:34 PM
This could go places. Yup I like her. :D

Flying Mullet
09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I'd hit it.

Princess_Yuna
09-07-2005, 04:38 PM
This could go places. Yup I like her. :D
At last someone who likes her!You are cool! :greenie: :D

Vyk
09-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Beware, the last Avril topic I saw turned into a "Flame Avril" thread. People around here hate her like they hate Emo. I like her however. I think she's got a lovely voice which projects emotion quite well. Does it matter if its literally her emotions anymore? Supposedly that was what her first album was about. Now she sings someone else's lyrics. But if she gets their point across so people can empathize it, props to her. I like her new album

DK
09-07-2005, 05:57 PM
She's still alive?

Destai
09-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Beware, the last Avril topic I saw turned into a "Flame Avril" thread. People around here hate her like they hate Emo. I like her however. I think she's got a lovely voice which projects emotion quite well. Does it matter if its literally her emotions anymore? Supposedly that was what her first album was about. Now she sings someone else's lyrics. But if she gets their point across so people can empathize it, props to her. I like her new album
Actually she wrote all the songs (with help)in the second album. Thats why the lyrics sound like a 6 year olds. Id really enjoy listening to the songs if I didnt feel embaressed and stupid as soon as I hear the lyrics.

Chris
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
I think people overdo the "I HATE AVRIL BECAUSE SHE'S ACTUALLY MADE IT AND I HAVEN'T". I think she has a good voice and her music isn't all that bad.

bipper
09-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I don't think Avril is bad at all. I am not a huge fan, but she does have a nice voice. Her personality, ugh. Most people who grow up in fame seem that they HAVE to somehow define themselves. (most all people that is) So yah, her most uncomfrotable years were in front of the camera, get over it :D

With that said, I find her sk8er boi song annoying as hell, and her dabut song was overplayed as well. Also all of her songs are written with a victumized style to the lyrics, and yet she acts so tough? I think she needs to loosen up a little, and sing what she wants - then feel how she wants. I wouldn't belive her if she said she was genuine so far, as her attitude, and songs are polar opposites.

Does it matter if its literally her emotions anymore?
It's bad cause it's like watching the cookie monster sing the rubber ducky song :p

Bipper

TheAbominatrix
09-07-2005, 07:39 PM
The last topic didnt involve any flaming in the least, just people explaining why they dont like her.

I, personally, dont like her. I'm really not a big fan of that sort of pop anyway, and her "Im so punk" attitude is quite annoying. Hell, it'd annoy me from someone who was actually punk went on and on about it (and yes, she does).

She did 'write' many of her songs, but most are, as she admitted, written with the help of a lyricist. Nothing wrong with that, of course, I just wanted to point it out.

She seems like a style over substance artist to me. What I have heard of her stuff (and the lyrics I've read) just seem like over-processed tripe to me, but I feel that way about 90% of today's music regardless.

Vyk
09-07-2005, 07:43 PM
I use the term "flaming" loosely. Generally it was just an "I hate (or 'dont like' if you insist XD) Avril" thread. Much like the last Linkin Park thread.

Edit: Though, in general, I usually don't agree with the vocal fixation of "I don't like-" style threads. A lot of them are handled well, but why worry about so much negativity. It seems counter productive. But I guess a discussion is a discussion whether its flow is negative or positive. But if there's going to be a thread about a topic I like, I'd much rather join in if the discussion is of a positive note. Otherwise I get stuck in a position of defending and/or getting lynched XD (Note: I'm also using that term loosely)

TheAbominatrix
09-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Well that's to be expected. For every topic, there are people who like and dislike the subject, and it'd be silly to expect everyone who disagrees to stay quiet. As long as people are civil, it makes for great discussions.

DMKA
09-07-2005, 07:46 PM
I like to parody her "work".

Rye
09-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Well, I'll just say I strongly dislike her and she lacks vocal talent, and leave it at that.

Pure Strife
09-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Can't say I'm a fan.

Vyk
09-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Unlike Rye who has plenty of vocal talent and is widely loved :<3:

Jebus
09-07-2005, 08:23 PM
To avoid ranting, I will just say that I hate her music, and her "ZOMG I'm so punk" attitude annoys the hell out of me.

GooeyToast
09-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Oh Avril, why art thou so untallented?

Rye
09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Unlike Rye who has plenty of vocal talent and is widely loved :<3:

Awww, thank you. :)

Lindy
09-07-2005, 09:47 PM
loldeath

Sephex
09-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Why does this thread have to be so complicated?

GooeyToast
09-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Why does this thread have to be so constipated?

Good question

nik0tine
09-07-2005, 11:52 PM
The lack of hostility in this thread is disapointing... :(

She did 'write' many of her songs, but most are, as she admitted, written with the help of a lyricist. Nothing wrong with that, of course, I just wanted to point it out. Nothing wrong with that? Oh pish posh!

bipper
09-07-2005, 11:55 PM
She did 'write' many of her songs, but most are, as she admitted, written with the help of a lyricist. Nothing wrong with that, of course, I just wanted to point it out.

So great musicians playing some classical music must really suck to o then :)

Being good at somthing means you do it well, not you set it up well. :D

Bipper

Shlup
09-07-2005, 11:56 PM
I think I still have that article saved if no one posted it yet...

Here it is: *link* (http://www.recroommagazine.com/articles/avril.htm)

Rye
09-07-2005, 11:58 PM
I love that article. Even if she wrote every word in every song, I'd still look down on her as the lyrics are pretty awful. I'm sure most people could write better. But the fact that she needs to get people to write THAT stuff... xD

Madame Adequate
09-08-2005, 12:09 AM
- To the pathetic, 11-13 year old Cult of Avril I'm-so-punk-because-I-shop -at-Hot-Topic-and-listen-to- Avril-and-like-sk8er-boiz members: Welcome to the real world. Not everyone is going to like everything that you like. Please get over it.

I suspect I don't need to point out the inherent flaw in this?

But I don't need to dissect the rest of the article. I don't give two tiny molecules of fecal matter about the musician behind the music unless I really dig the music. Mostly I just listen to the music, or I don't. I couldn't care less if it's Kelly Clarkson or Darkthrone, so long as I like the music itself.

And I like some of Avril's stuff. Yeah, her lyrics aren't exactly the deepest and most moving around, yeah, there's plenty of stuff a lot better out there, but I can still sit and listen to her happily enough.

Craig
09-08-2005, 12:25 AM
I'd hit it.

Vyk
09-08-2005, 01:48 AM
I guess I kinda fall in with MILF. I don't know anything about the artists that make the music I enjoy. I just enjoy their music and move on. Good stuff. I couldn't name a member of any band I enjoy x_X;; Just the bands themselves. Guess I'm not much of a music person

Slade
09-08-2005, 07:23 AM
I like quite a few Avril songs. My sister has both the albums. The second album is awsome.

TheAbominatrix
09-08-2005, 07:53 AM
The lack of hostility in this thread is disapointing... :(

She did 'write' many of her songs, but most are, as she admitted, written with the help of a lyricist. Nothing wrong with that, of course, I just wanted to point it out. Nothing wrong with that? Oh pish posh!

Given the amount of artists that do so, it isnt that big a deal, no. It's not like I respect Avril's 'talent' or anything, so why would I care if she needs help to write the schlock she does?

Channing
09-08-2005, 07:54 AM
I believe being a girl and trying to act hard and punky is a total turnoff. Especially when it's fake to the max. I don't find her very appealing. (:

Sephex
09-08-2005, 08:08 AM

Good read. This is also why I never listen to the radio. Most artists on the radio have sor tof agenda like Avril's, as the author pointed out many times.

Leene
09-08-2005, 12:19 PM
:save:i like Avril Lavigne:save:

Cloud No.9
09-08-2005, 01:44 PM
can't sing, can't write, can't do very much musically at all. can't ven thinly viel herself as anything other than pop. it's worse here in britain were we also get busted and mcfly beign "punk".

back in my day.......... punk meant the sex pistols. god save the queen and anarchy in the uk now it seems to mean wearing baggy jeans and holiding a guitar.

Levian
09-08-2005, 02:31 PM
- To the pathetic, 11-13 year old Cult of Avril I'm-so-punk-because-I-shop -at-Hot-Topic-and-listen-to- Avril-and-like-sk8er-boiz members: Welcome to the real world. Not everyone is going to like everything that you like. Please get over it.

I suspect I don't need to point out the inherent flaw in this?

But I don't need to dissect the rest of the article. I don't give two tiny molecules of fecal matter about the musician behind the music unless I really dig the music. Mostly I just listen to the music, or I don't. I couldn't care less if it's Kelly Clarkson or Darkthrone, so long as I like the music itself.

And I like some of Avril's stuff. Yeah, her lyrics aren't exactly the deepest and most moving around, yeah, there's plenty of stuff a lot better out there, but I can still sit and listen to her happily enough.

Thank you. I agree with you. Couldn't have said it better myself. As long as the music sounds good, I couldn't care less about the person singing it. And Avril's voice is actually rather nice to listen to, when she doesn't sing live.

ThroneofDravaris
09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Kill Bill soundtrack owns Avril lavigne

Rusty
09-08-2005, 03:46 PM
I don't like her music or 'I'm so punk' attitude either. Nor can she sing. In my opinion.

Madame Adequate
09-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Kill Bill soundtrack owns Avril lavigne

Thus the only thing every worth listening to is the single best track - or even the single best chord - ever.

Aphelion
09-08-2005, 07:16 PM
All I know about her is that she's on Brazil, and she'll sing in various cities here. Yeah, I guess that's all I know about her.

Mr. Graves
09-09-2005, 04:17 AM

I posted that back in early '03, back in the day :eek:

She sucks. Very untalented, and yes, has no substance at all.

Cloud No.9
09-09-2005, 02:10 PM
punk used to be good........... then americans found out.

Jack
09-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I, personally, dont like her. I'm really not a big fan of that sort of pop anyway, and her "Im so punk" attitude is quite annoying. Hell, it'd annoy me from someone who was actually punk went on and on about it (and yes, she does).

She seems like a style over substance artist to me. What I have heard of her stuff (and the lyrics I've read) just seem like over-processed tripe to me, but I feel that way about 90% of today's music regardless.

The same, and thank you for being VERY tactful TheAbominatrix.

Lindy
09-09-2005, 04:19 PM
punk used to be good........... then americans found out.
You know, I don't even know why you're going on about "the good old days of punk", since you weren't even BORN then, you're younger than I am for christ's sake.

And there are more than enough good american punk bands, more than there are and were English in fact, if you just took the time to look and listen maybe.

TheAbominatrix
09-09-2005, 04:58 PM
No prob, Jack <3

And Cloud, I wouldnt whine about what 'Americans' did to punk considering the large amount and influence of American punk bands, and the fact that there's still a heavy scene in many parts of America.

Not to mention that Avril isnt at all punk, so that has no bearing on this discussion.

DK
09-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Not to mention that Avril isnt at all punk, so that has no bearing on this discussion.

If i'm not mistaken when she first appeared she did claim she was the new Sid Vicious, though. Which made me want to laugh and kill in equal parts.

TheAbominatrix
09-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Yep, she did make that claim, and it's the equvilant of the Pope proclaiming himself the Rick James of his generation.

Luara
09-09-2005, 05:14 PM
I hate her, and I have reasons for that... who said that she sings well?! She doesnt sing well, did somebody saw her singing at one concert? she was terrible... and she said that her style 'will never change'... look now to her, ...blondie! if thats punk... wow... Yup, the music, and all, are cool, and she as talent for that but... if it wasnt for 'makina put her sing well', it would be popular only to laugh... did I related that I hate her?... :mad2: sorry about grammatical errors, *upset* well... all people has its op... ideas lol

Princess_Yuna
09-09-2005, 08:06 PM
She's still alive?
Yeah she's still alive!You won't be.........

Luara
09-09-2005, 08:51 PM
She's still alive?
Yeah she's still alive!You won't be.........
:chuckle: eheheh

Princess_Yuna
09-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Why does this thread have to be so constipated?

Good question
This thread is complicated like Avril's song!

Vincent69
10-05-2005, 02:41 PM
she has reall nice EYES ;)