PDA

View Full Version : Hahaha, these cards rule!

Peter_20
09-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I´ve recently discovered the incredible possibilities the cards in this game give you, you just seem to gain access to just about anything in the whole game!
I´m particularly amazed at the amount of magics you can get.
I mean, take a look at this:

5 Torama cards = 1 Life Ring = 20 Lifes
1 Mesmerize card = 1 Mesmerize Blade = 20 Regens
1 Anacondaur card = 1 Venom Fang = 20 Bios
1 Abyss Worm card = 1 Windmill = 20 Tornados
1 Tri-Face card = 1 Curse Spike = 10 Pains

All of these cards, and these are just a handful of examples, are disgustingly common in the BEGINNING OF THE GAME, and you should expect to see them at least every third card game round.
Heck, I don´t mind, I LOVE this stuff, I just think it´s amazing that you´re able to reach practically any magic in the game this early.
I mean, 100 Regens per character? :cool:

Flying Mullet
09-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Yes, FFVIII is different in that it's built more around strategy than leveling up. Card refining and magic assignment play two key parts of this strategy.

Laugh at face of Danger
09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
beautiful isn't it? how dispicably easy it becomes to play this game

Peter_20
09-07-2005, 05:42 PM
beautiful isn't it? how dispicably easy it becomes to play this gameEasy? To me it almost becomes HARDER, since I accidently level up all the time while learning Abilities!
Besides, it´s always been ridiculously easy to me, so it´s not like it matters anyway.

Also, doing all this training will eventually give you access to new drawable magics!
I tell you, it´s much more fun drawing stuff like Curaga and Quake instead of Cure and Sleep. :D

Mirage
09-07-2005, 05:43 PM
I've been doing this for years now :p. Try buying tents and refining them into Curagas too.

Peter_20
09-07-2005, 06:52 PM
I've been doing this for years now :p. Try buying tents and refining them into Curagas too.t3h old, that's the first thing I tried. :)

However, I totally own the T-Rexaurs right now!
Squall is at LV40 with Blizzaga and Sleep junctioned to his weapon, Extinction, :D, with Str+40% and a Str Bonus that's developed for quite some time now.
With these setups, I cause about 9000 DMG to the T-Rexaurs, and I'm still on my way to the Timber mission!
:D :rolleyes2 ;) :D

Skyblade
09-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Sleep? Just refine some Belhelmel cards into Saw Blades, then use L-Magic Ref to turn those Saw Blades into Death magic. 100 Deaths to S-Atk J = Dead T-Rexaurs.

SeeDRankLou
09-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Easy? To me it almost becomes HARDER
You want hard, try this......When you card a Bomb or a Buel (both in the Fire Cavern), they sometimes leave a Krysta card.

1 Krysta Card=10 Holy Stones=10 Holys

You can theoretically get 100 Holys for each of your characters before leaving for Timber. How's that for strong magic early on?

Peter_20
09-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Sleep? Just refine some Belhelmel cards into Saw Blades, then use L-Magic Ref to turn those Saw Blades into Death magic. 100 Deaths to S-Atk J = Dead T-Rexaurs. :eek:

I never thought about that!
I did know about it before, but I forget. :p
I'll try it now! :tongue:
T Rexaur - ph33r me today!!! :D

Damn it, I've got too many FFs in action now; FF1, FF2, FF6, FF8 and FF9 AND Dragon Warrior!
And now I´m thinking of restarting Zelda: Ocarina of Time!
All this WHILE looking for a job, trying to get a driving license AND hanging out with my friends!
Which game should I go with now, before I go to sleep?
I CAN'T DECIDE! :mad:

:D

G SpOtZ
09-07-2005, 07:52 PM
ffvii.

rubah
09-07-2005, 11:23 PM
100 triface-> 100 curse spikes-> one dark matter.

Megalixir
09-08-2005, 12:38 AM
1 gayla- 1 mystery fluid- 10 melt/molten xD (vitality!)

Mirage
09-08-2005, 11:10 AM
*meltdown, and that magic is more fun because of the status effect it inflicts :p

Strawberry_Mew
09-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Some of the player cards give you great items as well XD

FFVIII Fan
10-17-2005, 11:23 PM
ha! before i went on my first mission as a seed i had the punishment for squall, his strenght over 100 his magic around 80 etc. he was unbeatable, and i was only around lvl 12. So all i have to say is that yes, cards kick ass!;)

BG-57
10-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Playing Triple Triad with the cards is fun too. :D

ShaunOfShadou
10-18-2005, 04:23 AM
Mesmerize Card -> Mesmerize Blade -> 20 Regens. Regen junctions really well to HP.
Tonberry Card -> Chef's Knife -> 30 Deaths. A quicker way of obtaining it for Status Atk-J.
Adamantoise Card -> Adamantine -> Item for Lionheart/Ehrgeiz.
Tri-Face Card -> Curse Spike -> 10 Pains. Excellent for Status Def-J.

Neco Arc
10-18-2005, 07:35 AM
ha! before i went on my first mission as a seed i had the punishment for squall, his strenght over 100 his magic around 80 etc. he was unbeatable, and i was only around lvl 12. So all i have to say is that yes, cards kick ass!;)

how is this possible? I dont think you can get the magazine for the 2nd group of weapons before even leaving for timber...

and

100 triface-> 100 curse spikes-> one dark matter.

= very long time

Ultima Shadow
10-18-2005, 08:06 AM
how is this possible? I dont think you can get the magazine for the 2nd group of weapons before even leaving for timber...
You don't need the magazines to upgrade the weapons, just the items required.

ShaunOfShadou
10-18-2005, 08:09 AM
You don't need the magazines to upgrade the weapons, just the items required.
Not true. If you don't read about the weapon upgrades, then they won't appear in the Junk Shop list, with the exception of Weapons Monthly March as it only contains info about starting weapons.

Neco Arc
10-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Not true. If you don't read about the weapon upgrades, then they won't appear in the Junk Shop list, with the exception of Weapons Monthly March as it only contains info about starting weapons.

exactly...

Russielloyd
10-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Or you can refine the cards you collect to get death (after you get sirens) and most things becomes a one hit wonder!

Captain Maxx Power
10-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Yes, FFVIII is different in that it's built more around strategy than leveling up. Card refining and magic assignment play two key parts of this strategy.

Well, less strategy more uber-refinement. Just bare in mind that I played the card game and won every card possible. It added about thirty hours onto my game.

Qurange
10-19-2005, 09:40 PM

Actually, they will appear if you have all of the items necessary to upgrade the weapon, whether you have the magazines or not. They just won't appear until you either have the items or have the magazine.

Also, I'm inclined to agree that playing Triple Triad with the cards is an enjoyable use of them, too. That game is so addictive.

HunterFlamebrow
10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I agree.

In a way though, you really need the card refinement rule to succeed -- how else do you get rid of all those pesky level 2 cards that ruin you in Random games? It's a lot easier to refine the cards than to fuss around with spreading rules, IMO.

ShaunOfShadou
10-20-2005, 08:44 AM
It's a lot easier to refine the cards than to fuss around with spreading rules, IMO.
You can easily tiptoe around spreading the Random rule, though. I've heard if you exit a challenge with the Random rule enough times, the person will stop asking to mix rules and just go for a regular card game. Haven't confirmed this, though.

The Lunar Base is probably the most brutal place to play cards, as every rule is in effect up there. Random and Plus are particularly nasty. It took me hours to get the Alexander/Laguna cards.

FFVIII Fan
10-22-2005, 03:00 PM

well im afraid thats actually untrue, do it yourself and see, you get the right items and the weapons will appear in the junkshop with or without the magazines.

Leprechaun_boy3
10-22-2005, 10:06 PM
I always have problems in alot of card games since I don't understand how to use plus, same, same wall etc.

GunbladeMaster
10-22-2005, 10:14 PM
u will
it easier than Tetra Master
ull eventually learn it
its really fun :D