PDA

View Full Version : Periced ears

Vyk
09-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Seriously considering peircing an ear. But I'm curious as to what that might mean both to myself and to others. For example, in certain parts of the States during the early-mid 90's if you had your right ear peirced, for some reason that signified you were gay somehow. I'm wondering if peirced ears have ever had any symbolic significance. Some questions: Which ear did pirates usually get peirced? Or did they peirce at all, is it just some hollywood thing? Also I'm sure there's more than a few referenced in tribal lifestyles. Anyone know anything about African tribes peircing their ears? Or (more interestingly to me) American Indians? Or Central/South American tribes? (Nazca, Inca, Maya, etc.) Yes, I realize I could do the diligent thing and google search all this. But I thought we could all learn it together. Also I'd really appreciate thoughts and opinions. I know some girls think a guy peircing his ear is retarded, while others think "Alright! Something to nibble on". Note however if you are disgusted, don't expect me to change my plans based on your opinion :D Anyway, please discuss

XxSephirothxX
09-08-2005, 10:47 PM
I've never really understood the desire for people to get their bodies pierced. I never really minded ear piercings, except when people used huge earrings just to show that they could. Aside from that, anything except a small piercing in the side of the nose I find pretty gross. Belly-button, lip, tongue, eyebrow...I just really dislike them. I don't know what any ear-piercings can signify, but I've always associated guys with one ear pierced as "wild" or "cool."

Rengori
09-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Smurf body peircings.

Dreddz
09-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Ive got my ear pieced, looks hella cool :D

Vyk
09-08-2005, 10:52 PM
This isn't the "body mutilation" trend y'know :D I'm not getting my eyebrow or nose peirced, and its not going to be anything gaudy.

TheAbominatrix
09-08-2005, 10:52 PM
" Historically, beginning in the late 1960’s and continuing until the early 1980’s, gay or homosexual men would signify to one another that they were gay by wearing an earring in their left ear. This practice faded away during the 1980’s as piercing became more and more popular with both gay and straight men who began piercing not just one but, in many cases, both ears so that today the distinction is essentially meaningless."

edit: And as for my opinion, I think it's very cute. The man I love has his ear pierced, twice actually (only one ear), and I think it's incredibly sexy.

Rye
09-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Go for it. I have two piercings in each ear. :) I would like to get my eyebrow pierced eventually, my ears pierced both sides once more and maybe another one on the top of one ear, but that may hurt.

Vyk
09-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Holy crap, we were way off in elementary school. And way behind the times as well. Thanks a lot 'natrix ^_^

Reles
09-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah that whole thing if you had your right ear pierced means you're gay was stupid. I didn't believe it, they're not gay by which ear they pierce, they're gay if they like the same sex. I don't like it on men personally, but do what you want.

Jess
09-08-2005, 11:13 PM
I like peircings in general. In general the only peircing I don't like on somebodys is their eyebrow. It looks good on boys, but I don't really like it on girls. :D

Vyk
09-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Deffinitely better than a tattoo at any rate. If I have any regrets I just take it out and it goes away. No biggy

MushroomZOMBIE
09-08-2005, 11:29 PM
A hot guy with two piercings on one ear,one in another ear & a nose ring works for me :D

Rengori
09-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Deffinitely better than a tattoo at any rate. If I have any regrets I just take it out and it goes away. No biggy
Hey, tatoos are fine.

Vyk
09-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Hey, tatoos are fine.
They're also semi-permanent.

A hot guy with two piercings on one ear,one in another ear & a nose ring works for me
I'm not that hot. Nor am I that into peircings. But thanks for the offer ;P

J/K

Giga Guess
09-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Tattoos are great so long as you KNOW what you're going to get you will like 10, 15, 20 years up the road. Piercings are a bit more forgiving. But they can still leave marks. Still, if you know what you like, both can be great.

DMKA
09-09-2005, 12:40 AM
I have one in each ear. I can't say I'm too crazy about having everything pierced, but it's none of my damn business what others do anyway. I think one in the lip is alright, and maybe the eyebrow...but some people have EVERY last inch of their face pierced and yeah it's definitely not something I find attractive, but again, that's not my business and they don't need my approval.

fire_of_avalon
09-09-2005, 01:01 AM
I have three piercings right now, one in each earlobe and one in my left cartilage. I plan on getting several more in my ears, and possibly an eyebrow or nose piercing.

Piercings don't really mean anything super symbolic now, it's just more vanity and changing your appearance and having things to play with. But historically, different piercings meant different things, to different cultures. For example, in Egypt, a navel piercing could only be worn by the Pharoh, and if anyone else wanted one and got caught, they could be executed for it.

More stuff! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_piercing

Levian
09-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Right ear: Gay
Left ear: Straight
Both ears: Who knows! Usually straight, though.

That's the rules of piercings. In Norway. :cool:

edit: These rules do not apply to girls.

Tai-Ti
09-09-2005, 12:24 PM
thsoe ar ethe rules here two, if you get the top of you ear done, it's eiterh way too, i have two holes in each ear, and my belly button done, i HATE tongue, lip, hand nipple and bull nose piercings. Sorry if anyone here has those, but i just dont like em.

War Angel
09-09-2005, 12:30 PM
I have two piercings in each ear. I would like to get my eyebrow pierced eventually, my ears pierced both sides once more and maybe another one on the top of one ear, but that may hurt.
Oh, coolies! Can I attach a metal link to each one, then attack a chain to each of those, and move you around like a marionette? :D

Anyway, in Middle-Eastern (namely Egyptian) ancient civilizations, men with their ears pierced were slaves, and often euniches (castrated slaves). Do you want THAT stigma? :p

thsoe ar ethe rules here two, if you get the top of you ear done, it's eiterh way too, i have two holes in each ear, and my belly button done, i HATE tongue, lip, hand nipple and bull nose piercings. Sorry if anyone here has those, but i just dont like em.
Did you get your tongue, lips, and fingers all pierced to each-other ,by any chance?

Rusty
09-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I have no desire to ever get my ears peirced, I've just never ever wanted to. I like my ears the way they are. But I am considering getting my belly button peirced.

Dreddz
09-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Go for it. I have two piercings in each ear. :) I would like to get my eyebrow pierced eventually, my ears pierced both sides once more and maybe another one on the top of one ear, but that may hurt.
oh dont, that looks so ugly......

Zeldy
09-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Its entirely up to you. I want my Lip Pierced and my friends try their hardest to put me off but i just ignore them, i cant wait.

Theres a lad in my school with both ears pierced and he is Sexy! He has 2 big holes in his earlobes x3

Jojee
09-09-2005, 08:38 PM
It is fun, and it is kinda hot xD But if you want to be "professional" or taken seriously in certain job interviews etc, then don't ^_^ My bf has long hair, and it's kept neat and stuff... but he still gets a lot of stereotype discrimination and the such from people ;|

Vyk
09-12-2005, 01:53 AM
I used to have super long hair... It got to the point where I'd end up sitting down on it and not be able to move my head. Got annoying. But there seems to be something about me. Its weird. I'm mostly an introvert so I don't project much personality for people to judge me by. But most people seem to like me for some reason. I had no problems with having long hair. Or when I got into dying it weird colors people were fine with me. I doubt I'll have trouble with a peirced ear as it's not nearly as flashy or whatever as wild hair, or just... a ton of hair... as I had. I shoulda joined a rock band XD Oh well.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. I got it done over the weekend. Its weird, but I really had trouble deciding on which ear I wanted peirced. Even right up to sitting in the chair as it was going to be done. Had she asked I was seriously considering saying the right ear as it seems rare, and didn't matter what it meant symbolicly since peirced ears are so common these days. But because of that commonness, she didn't even ask. She put a dot on my left ear lobe. I decided not to argue since it really didn't matter to me. Then it was done. Once I'm done with the stud and having to ritually clean it, I'll replace to a nice dangley cross or something ^_^

Channing
09-12-2005, 02:35 AM
I think piercings are cool. Especially when their appealing like ear or lip. I'm not to keen on nose piercing or anything that looks remotely painful or displaced.

metro
09-12-2005, 02:48 AM

Vyk
09-12-2005, 02:54 AM
Dunno what the guns are. She stuck the earing in a square plastic slidey thing and just shoved it in real quick. It worked by pinching the thing together. Sounds kinda half-assed but it did its job. Didn't hurt any worse than getting pinched or anything. Why? What's wrong with peircing guns? Y'know. I just realized, I totally fugged up the title of this thread XD

Slade
09-12-2005, 06:51 AM
My ears peirced and im planning on getting more. Only in my ears tho.

Meat Puppet
09-12-2005, 07:01 AM
I found a needle on the ground once and my friends bet I couldn't pierce my ear with it so I did but I wish I didn't.

Silmaril
09-12-2005, 01:46 PM
I have my ears pierced. I love wearing dangling earrings. i have loads of them.

bipper
09-12-2005, 01:55 PM
I have my left ear peirced twice. I like it. I can take out the earings, and you will never know they were peirced.

I got the double, because imo the single earing looks to - i dunno boring? The double peircing is a little more fun. Plus, you have to buy a set of two studs, and I wanted my money's worth dammit. :D

I have not worn earings though for nearly two years, as my daughter Kylie Mae had a habbit of yanking. This does not mean I wont wear them again, I will someday.

Bipper

Craig
09-12-2005, 02:03 PM
I had my left ear pierced when I was like, 9-10. But I took it out when I was 11 and went to secondary school. I can still feel where the piercing used to be, it's cool.

Vyk
09-12-2005, 07:00 PM
I have my ears pierced. I love wearing dangling earrings. i have loads of them.
That's my plan, I just had one ordered. Sucks I have to have just a stud for right now >_>; I'm half tempted to trade it out already, I doubt it'd get infected just because of that, but I'm patient...

Laugh at face of Danger
09-12-2005, 07:29 PM
hey hey! ear peircings rule! one ear, left ear, is the best!

pirates had their left ear done, or both. Most hpwvere had the top done and wore a loop, from what i've seen/heard

go for it! just don't whack some huge diamonte thing in the size of china, because it'll fall out, a tasteful gold abll is the way to go!

Vyk
09-12-2005, 07:32 PM
The stud I got in is a gold ball :D But yeah. I'm not putting stones in. I'll betting a cross dangling from a chain when the order comes in.

Laugh at face of Danger
09-12-2005, 07:36 PM
then i'll have to call you Black Adder

Vyk
09-12-2005, 08:03 PM
...Not familiar with that one, I'm afraid o.O;

Twisted Tinkerbell
09-12-2005, 08:23 PM
I have eleven piercinggs, three being in my right ear four in my left, I'm getting a new one soon