PDA

View Full Version : SegaCD

Vyk
09-08-2005, 10:51 PM
This'll probably be a short lived topic. Its hard to find anyone who even owned a SegaCD most of the time. Let alone find someone who liked them. Especially on a message board that centers around a series of games that never even considered going anywhere near a Sega system. But I figure it's worth a shot. I love nostalgia. And the era of gaming that surged a war with the Genesis and SNES. Good times. And the memories of that time that shine most brightly in my mind are oddly enough from a system that was basically not even part of the war (but did spurn on the next generation war [i.e. Saturn vs Playstation {as Playstation was originally intended to be an SNES add-on to combat the SegaCD}]). It was the beginning of a short-lived gaming trend that probably began the revolution that cinema and video games could play well together. In my opinion anyway. Dubbed "true-video" games (meaning they used live video in cut-scenes) hit as close to mainstream on this system as they probably ever would have. And obtained a lot of controversy with games like Night Trap and Snow Job or whatever. And SegaCD is the only console I know that had a rampant amount of tabboo "Adults Only" games. Arguably the best Sonic game was released on this system. And it had more than its fair share of quality point-and-click adventures (Snatcher, Rise of the Dragon, Willy Beamish ^_^) In short: I loved my SegaCD, and I still love it. Great nostalgia. Anyone else ever get a chance to appreciate this fine machine?

XxSephirothxX
09-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Two years ago I had a short-lived obsession with obtaining a SegaCD. One of my friends, who collects videogame systems anyway, felt the same way, and he actually bought one. I borrowed it for awhile, and loved Sonic CD, but the rest of the games he had were crap. But Nightrap. Man oh man. Was that game hilarious. Besides E.T. and Superman 64, it was the worst game I ever played, but it cracked me up watching those bad actresses sing the Night Trap theme. I'd still like to buy a Sega Saturn; that was a fantastic system with some great titles. The original Wipeout is still one of my favorites.

escobert
09-08-2005, 11:54 PM
My brother had one when they came out. I played it a faur amount. Don't remember it much though.

cookieface
09-08-2005, 11:54 PM
I never had a SCD, just Genesis. I always had delayed consoles up until the time I could buy them myself. I got hand downs from my cousin when the next thing came out. But there was no SCD. The fact is that it was pretty crappy. Eventhough I remember sitting on planes and reading EGM magazine, or something, about games like Keio flying squadron, and Popful Mail. Those looked really cool, as they would to any anime loving doofus (those were the days, back when anime was exotic). The best part is they were fully in English! Never got to play them though; on the real thing that is. I was never a huge Sonic fan, so I didn't care about Sonic cd, which is probably the best game on that system.

But the Turbografx CD looked cooler to me. My cousin actually got that. Then returned it soon after. The games sucked. I think through him I've played most of the pieces of crap that were ever released, but it's a blur.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-09-2005, 04:20 AM
I had a Sega CD, but I the only worthwhile games I ever had for it were Sonic CD, Ecco II, and Mickey Mania. So, I missed out on Snatcher, Willy Beamish, the LUNAR games, Popful Mail, etc. What a punk.
it cracked me up watching those bad actresses sing the Night Trap theme.Your love is like a Night Trap.

Sephex
09-09-2005, 04:24 AM
My friend bought one a couple of years after it "died", and we had fun with it--even with the bad games. Sewer Skark is probably one of the runiest games EVER. Dragon's Lair was cool too, and those death scenes were a riot! Rebel Assult was neat, but it always looked like you were flying around in vomit and a random death cut scene popped up. Good times.

DMKA
09-09-2005, 04:44 AM
And SegaCD is the only console I know that had a rampant amount of tabboo "Adults Only" games.
No it's not...infact, it didn't have ANY, nor did any other system before PS2, because Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is the first and only game to recieve an "Adults Only" rating. Night Trap just caused alot of controversy and made people go bat/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif and determined that videogames were evil.

As for myself, I never played one...I've seen maybe two of them in my life. I never really had interest in anything Sega did, except Dreamcast because it's the only console that "Project Justice" was ever developed for (dammit I want it). But yeah, generally Sega just never entertained me much. I even had a Sega Genesis (aka "Mega Drive") that I next to never played.

Big D
09-09-2005, 06:48 AM
Right at the end of the Mega Drive's lifespan, when the N64 and PSX were on the rise, I grabbed a Sega CD 'cause it was really cheap. So were the games.
There was some great stuff on that console. Ecco CD is still one of my all-time favourite games; I play the soundtrack in my stereo quite often (gotta love games with the soundtrack encoded as separate tracks). Sonic CD was good, but expansive and complex to the point that I never finished it with the good ending. Tomcat Alley was a neat exercise in real-video gaming; pity about fairly lame "blowing up kitset models" special effects. Road Avenger came with the console, a fairly bizarre interactive FMV anime game about a badass with an indestructible Corvette who's taking on a brutal car gang.
Prince of Persia CD was a fun challenge; again, it benefits from live music.
Yumemi Mystery Mansion, also known as The Mansion of Hidden Souls, is a kind of point-and-click first person puzzle/mystery game. Short, but clever. The candle puzzle kept me stuck for months - it took ages to work out that the sequence was important, not just the locations.

Well... that's it for my Sega CD collection. I still have all the games, but they're no more use 'cause I sold my Mega Drive. However, Sonic CD and Ecco CD still reside in my soundtrack collection:D
And obtained a lot of controversy with games like Night Trap and Snow Job or whatever. And SegaCD is the only console I know that had a rampant amount of tabboo "Adults Only" games. Really? Never knew about that... details plz?

Maxico
09-09-2005, 07:25 AM
I really wanted a Sega CD but I could never get one.

Shame really, I really want to play Sonic CD. I guess I should dig around for the ISO or something.

Vyk
09-09-2005, 12:24 PM
No it's not...infact, it didn't have ANY, nor did any other system before PS2, because Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is the first and only game to recieve an "Adults Only" rating.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or speaking strictly from the ESRB rating system. But before the ESRB formed a system, Sega had long since been rating their own games for content. The ESRB just took that over

Really? Never knew about that... details plz?
I'll have to hunt down the old Sega Visions or Game Players magazine that had the article on adult games, but one that sticks out in my mind was called Brain Seed. But that was rated for adults only more because of its mature complexity and whatnot. And gore. But I don't think there was anything sexual in it. I dunno. I'll dig around and get back to you guys. But I know there were quite a handful of very mature games on SegaCD.

Roogle
09-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I had one. Coincidentally, all the Sega CD games I owned were published in the States by Working Designs:

LUNAR: The Silver Star
Vay
Popful Mail
LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue

DMKA
09-09-2005, 11:33 PM
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or speaking strictly from the ESRB rating system. But before the ESRB formed a system, Sega had long since been rating their own games for content. The ESRB just took that over
I'm actually being serious. In the United States, before the release of Mortal Kombat II, there were no ratings on games. Furthermore, when they did establish the rating system, it wasn't until Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that anyone would release a game needing of an AO rating (there were games that people attempted to release before with the AO rating, but no one would sell them).

So yeah, there weren't any, here in the US anyway. Even Night Trap had only an "M" rating, and it was pulled from the shelves for awhile.