PDA

View Full Version : Charity~~

Mo-Nercy
09-09-2005, 12:59 AM
I just had a hard morning's work of volunteer work, selling badges, wristbands and stickers for Father Chris Riley's "Youth off the Street" program. It was rewarding work. It felt good to ambush people walking out of train stations:
"Would you like to support Father Riley's Youth off the Street program?"
"Buy a badge or a wristband for Shine Day?"

I got a lot of sales, but I also got a lot of weak excuses:
"I don't have any money."
"I'm late for work."
"I no speakee english."
"*snub*"

If you've ever done charity work like this, what are some of the excuses you've received? Or what excuses do you give when attacked by these money-sucking non-profit organisations?

DK
09-09-2005, 01:24 AM
"Sorry, mate, i'm on my way to a job interview."

Works perfectly fine.

Edit: Oh wait, you just meant the ones who ask for money. Those I just say no, because i'm a tightarse. But that excuse works great for the people like "Age Concern", or the RSPCA or whatever who try to sign you up to do this that or the other.

Shoeberto
09-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Well, where I've done it, it was actually in the middle of a street, so when people went by and stopped at the light or just passed us they could stop and donate, so there was very little contact with people who didn't want to.

You could always tell who wasn't going to donate, though, because they would never look you in the eyes.

Meat Puppet
09-09-2005, 05:34 AM
I donated lego to David Firth.

Dr.K
09-09-2005, 09:33 AM
"Excuse me sir, I was wondering could I take a minute of your time to..."

*silence*
*walks faster*

Tai-Ti
09-09-2005, 12:14 PM
i normally donate summat like $2 if they knock on my door, they don't approach me in the street, but if im not in the mood for donation wen they come-a-knocking, i pretend to be a few years younger and say my mummy isn't home.