PDA

View Full Version : Vagrant Story Boss Question

LunarWeaver
09-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Being the cheap piece of crap that I am I just now bought Vagrant Story...I'm stuck on the Wyvern boss (the second dragon type boss you fight)...I hit its tail with edged weapons and only do 3-4 damage, and I have a piercing spear with 23 dragon affinity and Prostasia cast on myself and still only do 3-4 to its head and body and all other body parts. Is the only way to beat it to reflect damage and heal? What's the deal!

Necronopticous
09-09-2005, 05:01 PM
This inevitably happens the first time anyone plays through Vagrant Story at some point. The problem I see here is that, oddly enough, the Wyvern, unlike the Dragons in Vagrant Story are strong vs. Piercing Weapons. They are the weakest if you have a blunt weapon, however, their tail is weak against edged weapons. You might have some luck with your spear if you manage to hit the body, but beside that the Wyvern is pretty much protected against the piercing weapon you're trying to use. Hope this helps.

Don't get discouraged, remember Vagrant Story is an incredibly difficult game. You're actually doing quite good to have made it this far before encountering low damage on a boss.

Lord Chainsaw
09-09-2005, 11:40 PM
You're just going to have to deal with doing low damage, no matter what your affinity. Best thing to do is go to that armor statue in the room before the minotaur and just practice your chains. Although it goes without saying, I recommend you never, ever have the 50% total accumulative damage skill off of either your circle or square chain button.

All you need to be effective with that chain working for you is ANY damage at all on your first hit. See Necro's post on Wyvern's for their weakness, the club or whatever blunt you have on you. You don't need to smack it for 15-20 damage a hit though. Hell, even 3 or 4 damage is fine. VS is a very low HP game, so if you get a 3 on your first hit, then build up your chain with the accumulative damage button, you'll be doing 12-13 points of damage a hit around your 9th or 10th hit. That's easily 60-70 points of damage each turn provided you practice your chaining. Put reflect damage as your second chain ability. Keep pounding circle and square, and watch the damage build.

Keep in mind that your risk will go up. Don't panic if it reaches 100 (which it will if you plan on doing these 15-20 hit chains), because although you will continue to miss a whole lot during your chain while your risk is at 100, it is still very effective to keep chaining until you mess up. Most of the damage from your chains will come when your risk is already at 100, or very close to it. At 100 risk you'll probably miss 3 out of 4 times, but by the time you're at 100 risk your "cumulative" ability will be doing a good 20-25 points of damage a hit. All you need to do is land two or three of those late in the chain and you'll already have done 50-70 damage to the boss.

Don't use vera bulbs either. Only use vera roots. And only if you have a lot of them. You'll usually be fine simply getting out of battle position (or in to battle position, I forget which stance recovers risk faster) and waiting for your risk to go down back to 0 before starting your 20-25 hit chain all over again. The reason I say not to use veras is because there actually are some very difficult bosses such as the Earth Dragon, where you will need those vera bulbs.

Always use spells and items while you have your weapon out. They're more effective. That goes for stat upping elixirs too.

And one final thing: Don't use attack spells. Ever. They're worthless. You do your damage by chaining. All you need to beat the game are the buff spells, the debuff spells, and the healing spells.