PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the PS1 version of FFV

TheDragoonKain
09-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Some time ago I bought FFV & FFVI (Anthology in North America) for the PS1. I haven't played either in forever, but after going back and FINALLY beating FF4 on Chronicles (also PS1) I decided I want to beat all the old FFs. I started at FFVII and played until X, now I'm going back and doing these. Maybe someday I'll get around to the NES ones.

Anyway, I know that there were a couple of differences in the PS1 FF4 from the Original SNES FF(2?) in NA and then of course differences also from the Japanese Hardtype (which it more closely resembles). I was just wondering if there was anything like that with FFV? Are there difficulty/translation differences in the PS1 version that were or weren't there in the SNES English version? I guess I'm asking, overall is the PS1 port an improvement from the English SNES version, or closer to the Japanese SNES version? I know that this is probably a matter of opinion but I'd like to hear all the different sides of it.

Last question: is the sound better on SNES than the PS1? I heard it was that way for FF4.

And I have to say, just watching the opening, FFV seems alot better at least as far as graphics and sound than FF4... very nice!!

TheDragoonKain
09-09-2005, 09:42 PM
hah... hrmm... is no one going to answer this? I looked over the board to see if this question had been answered already and as far as I can tell it hasn't. I'm just curious.

nik0tine
09-10-2005, 12:46 AM
There was no official english script as far as i know. So.. the script is gonna be way different. :p

ThroneofDravaris
09-10-2005, 02:11 AM
No one is going to be able to answer this, since:

A) The anthology version has the only official script.

B) It was never released outside Japan in any other form, so no one has ever played it on a SNES.

As far as I know though, the only differences are you can hold down the 'cancel' button in order to run, and the added FMV's.

I would just take the Anthology version as being the only real version, and leave it at that. There might be someone here who has the Japanese version, or knows all of the specific differences though…

It isn't like FFIV though, there is no 'hard' or 'easy' type of game.

boys from the dwarf
09-10-2005, 12:30 PM
be a bit more patient.it was the middle of the night when you posted it so you cant expect quick answers. ive had to wait longet though.

nik0tine
09-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Plus it's the FFV forum. You can't expect quick answers in here ANY time. :p

TheDragoonKain
09-10-2005, 08:39 PM
haha sorry-
and yeah, i can't believe i forgot that FFV was the one never released outside of Japan (along with III on NES I think?) Man, haha my bad...

but yeah, I'm actually hoping to go back and play FFIV and V on the Super Famicom in Japanese once my Japanese gets better, see what all the scripting differences are.

Thanks for responding to an idiotic question, I can't believe I forgot that... haha