PDA

View Full Version : Iaido vs. Medieval Fencing

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-09-2005, 10:11 PM
This is an argument a friend and I are constantly having, so I thought I'd put it to a poll. Which fighting style would win in a duel between two people of equal levels? Iaido, the Samurai style (from which Kendo is derived), or the medieval fencing style from which modern fencing is derived? Remember, neither Kendo nor modern fencing are as brutal and efficient as the original combat styles, so don't use those for a complete basis.

I will refrain from stating my opinion until later.

Madonna
09-09-2005, 10:14 PM
What're you fencing with? What quality are the weapons? Would the opponents be equipped with only one weapon? As in, does all the samurai have is one katana (and which one of his set) and does the fencer have a dagger or something to parry with?

It's kind of vague so far.

rubah
09-09-2005, 10:43 PM
I'll go with fencing, as my preacher fences :O

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Since it's basically supposed to be even setting, if the fencer has a dagger or other secondary weapon then the samurai has the wakizashi, as it is part of a set. Weapons would be of basically equal quality, as far as the respective blade qualities are concerned. A katana of good quality against a rapier of good quality, as is dictated by the overall quality of the sword.

So we'll say samurai with katana and wakizashi (full daisho) against a fencer with a rapier and a dirk to parry with. Neither are armored.

Aphelion
09-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Iaido, I guess. I think it's cooler, at least.

Dreddz
09-09-2005, 11:19 PM
My vote goes to Fencing.....

Shoeberto
09-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Iado, or at least general samurai combat arts, always seemed a lot more graceful and smooth than European sword combat techniques. My vote goes towards Iado.

Quina
09-10-2005, 05:23 AM
I've never been to Idaho so I'll pick fencing.

Masamune·1600
09-10-2005, 05:28 AM
Iaido, I would say.

Madonna
09-10-2005, 06:13 AM
I have a fear that the katana may break the blade of the rapier. I'd love to go against my anime-fan instincts, but it seems to be leaning that way.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Aside from the fact that a katana would probably be able to break the rapier, I also think that the iaijutsu would be a massive advantage against the fencing style. Assuming that the fencer knew about the iaijutsu, however, I still think the attack would be extremely effective, given the ease it can be changed to a two-step attack. While thrusts are indeed quite fast, I don't think they quite compare to the iaijutsu attack.

nik0tine
09-10-2005, 08:15 AM
How do you guys know about all of this?

Necronopticous
09-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Iaido. There is no doubt about it.

Meat Puppet
09-10-2005, 10:05 AM
How do you guys know about all of this?

Momiji
09-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Although I like the samurai, the elegance and style of fencing just seems neater. So I'll go with fencing.

Madonna
09-11-2005, 08:38 PM
How do you guys know about all of this?When you have an interest in things, you do a little research on them, no? Also, some experience swinging a sword or two and getting a feel for them is always fun and educational.

But this contest; it's a fight I would love to see done in person.

Peegee
09-11-2005, 09:06 PM
If you both have a sword, Iaido. But in a streetfight it's no-holds.

Old Manus
09-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Iaido is spelt stupid so therefore it is cooler so therefore it wins.

-N-
09-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Iaido is spelt stupid so therefore it is cooler so therefore it wins.

Resha
09-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Fencing is hilariously fun. Never really tried Iaido (sp?) so I'll be biased and go fencing.

lordblazer
09-11-2005, 10:35 PM
This is an argument a friend and I are constantly having, so I thought I'd put it to a poll. Which fighting style would win in a duel between two people of equal levels? Iaido, the Samurai style (from which Kendo is derived), or the medieval fencing style from which modern fencing is derived? Remember, neither Kendo nor modern fencing are as brutal and efficient as the original combat styles, so don't use those for a complete basis.

I will refrain from stating my opinion until later.
they didn't start fencing until the gunpowder age.
Medieval european fighitng style was more of a long sword style. They used two handed weapons. They preferred to fight above waist and anything went. If the enemy gets close I shall kick him. Allt hat good stuff. Watch Kingdom Of Heaven. Man it surprised me when i saw that mpovie and it showed that style.

Anyway the samurai styleis one of concentration. They are war machines just like european knights are. My opinion is. The only style that is superor to those two is the style of busting a cap in yo azz. lol.

Seriously though. If you mean fencing vs. Samurai style. Well i dunno. I would say fencing but Fencing wouldn't stand a chance. Simply put. Fencing was a european sword fighitng style. Meaning other europeans sowrd foguht using fencing. No one has reallly used a fencing style against another culture's sword fighitng style.

As for the Japaneese. I think they dealt with some foreigner's. I think the mongols wait no it was the koreans.

This is relaly a tough call because there are sword fighting styles that just never stood a chance against other styles due to the fact that it wasn't a flexible enough style. With fencing. It was more of a matter of style over killing. While the Iaido style actually branced off into several hundred different "sub styles." That emphansized on both style and kiling.

Doomie
09-11-2005, 11:04 PM
final fantasie duz iado or samurai stuf, liek auron, so i wil go wit iaido.

Jojee
09-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Iaido.