PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about Terra

Chris`
09-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Was she intended to have blonde hair instead of green? I remember a long time ago I was using a game genie and just decided to enter some random codes, and terra had blonde hair for 3 sec on the world map, then the game crashed. Is there anyway to "unlock this" in a cart or rom?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Random codes will do crap like that. Even though Tina's character design has blonde hair, her sprite was always intended to be green-haired. There's no reason to believe otherwise, at least.

Sephex
09-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Random codes will do crap like that. Even though Tina's character design has blonde hair, her sprite was always intended to be green-haired. There's no reason to believe otherwise, at least.

They always mess with Amano's designs. :cry:

boys from the dwarf
09-11-2005, 09:07 AM
sucks doesnt it? i prefer the green hair though.

Sasquatch
09-11-2005, 04:57 PM
I kinda like the green hair. Wonder what the FMVs and such would look like with green hair. The green just makes her look more...different than human. Her magical powers, and such, you know? Like Rydia.

boys from the dwarf
09-11-2005, 07:29 PM
i cant imagine on the fmv having green hair but it looks more fantasy with green.

KoShiatar
09-11-2005, 10:19 PM
If they had given her sprite blonde hair, she would have looked too much like Celes. Or so I think...

Vyk
09-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Amano made them look like clones of each other anyway. What's funny is when I got FFAnthology it was years after I shelfed my SNES one. So I'd forgotten how the game began. But I knew Terra and Celes were part of the empire at first. I thought the opening FMV was Celes since it was blond. Its sad. She's a hybrid. Half-human. Green hair helps signify that. Amano certainly didn't think she needed abnormal hair. But obviously the game designers did. I'd go with what the game designers say. I just see Amano simply as an interpreter. His thoughts are not law in my book (otherwise almost everyone in the FF universe would look like a girl XD j/k)

bipper
09-12-2005, 12:43 AM
His thoughts are not law in my book (otherwise almost everyone in the FF universe would look like a girl XD j/k /
That is too true though :) I really love his work, but it seems liek these character artists have trouble making different characters. I dunno, I have ketched nearly my whole life, and I can only name a few characters that look alike. I wonder if they try to make thier style more signatured or what.

I do agree that they prolly did not want Celes and Terra/Tina to look alike. I hate the blonde hair, the green did give her that supernatural half-espar look and a greater style of individualism. The green hair seemd to symbolize her very well, as bieng unique life.

Bipper

x_Hopeless_Deviate_x
09-12-2005, 04:10 AM
Terra's hair is awesome they should've kept it green for the FMV.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-12-2005, 07:38 AM
I'd go with what the game designers say. I just see Amano simply as an interpreter.It's the other way around. Amano designs the characters, and then whoever designs the sprites or models interprets and adapts his artwork.

crashNUMBERS
09-12-2005, 12:50 PM

They always mess with Amano's designs. :cry:
Yeah I hate that!!

KoShiatar
09-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I'd go with what the game designers say. I just see Amano simply as an interpreter.It's the other way around. Amano designs the characters, and then whoever designs the sprites or models interprets and adapts his artwork.

Or so it was back then. Amano came up with a lot of things that weren't originally planned to be in the game, such as Ultros.

Vyk
09-13-2005, 12:20 AM
He's an interpreter now though isn't he? (No, I'm not using that in my defense, I was wrong. I didn't realize he actaully made those first. For some reason that's what I thought he always did. Publicize the characters after their creation.)

KoShiatar
09-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Yes. He's image illustrator, which means he takes someone else's designs and makes promotional images out of them. He did that since Final Fantasy VII.
However, Nomura clearly stated Amano has still been an inspiration for him. Just look at Edea and then look at this:
It's pretty self-evident.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Edea's appearance was lifted from the bottom part of the Goddess sprite (http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/snes/ff6/pictures/Image840.gif) as much as it was that painting.
He's an interpreter now though isn't he?Yes. He was only the character designer for FFI-VI and FFIX.

KoShiatar
09-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Edea's appearance was lifted from the bottom part of the Goddess sprite (http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/snes/ff6/pictures/Image840.gif) as much as it was that painting.
Of course. I tried to point out at one of the sources, but it was not the only one.

Yes. He was only the character designer for FFI-VI and FFIX.

From what I saw in my copy, someone else is indicated as FF IX character designer. And preliminary designs don't definitely look Amano-style. Can you clarify that for me?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-14-2005, 04:30 PM
There are about six different people credited as character designers for FFIX. Amano presumably had just as much input as Hideo Minaba, etc.

KoShiatar
09-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Oh, I see. @_______@ *total confusion*

Shooting Star
09-14-2005, 05:11 PM
i liked her green hair because she looked too much like celes with blonde. I keeped getting them mixed up! :clone:

bipper
09-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Green again being a very symbolic color of her life. Green itself being a color of life, inhuman (thus offering foreshadowing of her true identity), energy (specifically life energy), and even peace (as she represented a mutual peace between two races).

Brilliantly done. I am sure you can find or create some symbolism for blonde, but I personally do not see much suiting as well as green. Brilliance.

Plus FMVs seemed to be made by square employees in training or somthing. They were not nearly as fluid or nice as other FMVs at the time. Seems kinda like Disney's crap sequals they keep puttiing out; in that they lack the magic of the originals (or in FF games the nearest comparison's of the time). I was VERY dissapointed in the collection sets they released.

Bipper

Chris`
09-22-2005, 05:16 AM
ah, so im not the only one who thinks they are half assed :).

Also, the speed of them is atrocious. With a 33mhz RISC cpu, the psx should be able to run that game at *least* 2x as fast as the snes did(thats for non-video related work). the psx had 2mb of ram, which is a hell of a lot for a console in it's time(you cant compare it to ram in a pc). as the ff3 engine(which im re-inventing :P) doesnt take THAT much memory, as most of it is used in the gfx related stuff ie tiles etc :P. The 3 seconds of lag to open the menues was awful, and the overall speed felt very very very bogged down, ie less than 30fps.

methinks square just wrote an emulation/conversion layer underneath the game engine for it to work on psx, and took the easy route instead of the "proper" route :P

bipper
09-22-2005, 01:06 PM
ah, so im not the only one who thinks they are half assed :).

methinks square just wrote an emulation/conversion layer underneath the game engine for it to work on psx, and took the easy route instead of the "proper" route :P

You are correct there. The game was not designed to be thrown into ram, but read from rom. This game ran of the CD rom, which is a slower medium than cartrages, and there fore guilty of having to search the tracks for information. Very poor translation indeed.

Good eye!
Bipper

Such Great Heights
09-22-2005, 08:30 PM
It's quite funny, because-and feel free to correct me-you never hear such complaining about the FFV port, only FFVI. Chrono Trigger also had problems, but I don't know if it was painful FFVI-slowdown or something else. I don't know what that says about the awful SNES emulation. Never put much time (or cash;) into Anthology and whatever the other one was-Origins?

Chris`
09-22-2005, 10:43 PM
ffv wasnt great, thats for sure, but it was better than the others.

Bowser
10-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Eh, the green hair sure spices her up. She would be too boring with Blonde. :eyebrow:

Sasquatch
10-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I always wondered about Chronicles, too. I think Chrono Trigger takes forever to get to the menu, and FFIV takes forever to save.

umm... Green hair. I agree. Spices her up.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Anthology load times: FFV's are fine and FFVI's are unbearable
Chronicles load times: FFIV's are fine and CT's are unbearable

KoShiatar
10-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Now that you brought up Chronicles, I have the possibility to get it in a game shop near my town. Should I, just for Chrono Trigger's added contents, or is it better left where it is?

bipper
10-09-2005, 07:37 PM
I think CT's remake is so worth it. The animated cutscenes are sexy enough to constitute buying a remake or two!