PDA

View Full Version : Need serious help - IE popup blocker

Xander
09-11-2005, 02:38 PM
See attached image. How the HELL do I get rid of this and stop it coming up? I've tried disabling pop up blocker and all the obvious things and it won't go away. I have a million problems with my computer right now but this one is gonna bug me the most.

XxSephirothxX
09-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Would lowering the privacy settings in IE help? I don't really know Internet Explorer too well, as I've been using Firefox for a while, but that might work. Also, check under Security and go to Custom Security level. Maybe it's a specific type of thing IE is blocking?

ZeZipster
09-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Quit using IE?

Seriously, WHY do you people insist on using it?

Xander
09-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Azar with a hat, I tried that and it seems to have helped but some things just arent right now. I installed a winXP service update 2 or something and it seems to have messed stuff up. Now I have some firewall thats trying to block programs I open.

ZeZipster, I expected a comment like that, but I'm even getting weird things with Firefox now..(I use both browsers). Look at this screenshot of Ebay its doing it on IE and firefox, only since today. Notice all the missed out categories. If IE is just crap I'd understand, but why is firefox like it too?

XxSephirothxX
09-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Was it Service Pack 2 that you installed? I remember when that came out months ago it caused a hell of a lot of problems for people. Maybe you should check it out on Microsoft's site (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx).

Xander
09-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Yes, it was.

I just did a system restore to an earlier date without that, since its causing more problems than I can be bothered to deal with, and things are better, except ebay still looks like that and I cant figure it out.

rubah
09-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Perhaps you're using adblocker and accidentally adblocked ebay images?

Yamaneko
09-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Go to: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and open up "hosts" with a text editor and make sure the sites you have mentioned aren't included in the file. If they are, either comment them out or delete them from the file.

Xander
09-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Tried both of those guys, no luck, thanks anyway. It seems to be the only site I'm having a problem with at the moment and only on the homepage so maybe I can ignore it.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
09-11-2005, 08:20 PM
i had this problem too
go to start, then setting, then control panel, then add or remove hard ware, then click which pop up thingy u have, and bye its gone

bipper
09-11-2005, 11:05 PM
If you right click on an image in firefox, you can block images from that site. Click tools > options then click the Web Features button and next to load images from site, click the exceptions button. Highlight ebay if it is in there, and click remove site.

I did not know if this was also happening in IE, from what I got it was just Firefox.

Hope that helps a little bit.

And yes, quit using IE. Its a horrible mess, and service pack 2 is great, minus the fact it screws with most people's IE browsers; and other firewall/networking settings :D
Bipper

Xander
09-12-2005, 06:56 PM
I even put ebay in the allowed list, and it still doesnt show them, and yes its doing that in IE too.

Thanks but I think my computer has some serious problem.. I used a registry cleaner to try and fix initial error messages I was getting so I bet I messed something else up while using that.

Haha, and the stupid thing is I did a system restore to before I installed the registry cleaner, although I expect the changes it did still apply and I can't undo them because I don't have the registry cleaner anymore.

I'm so dumb at fixing things.

MecaKane
09-12-2005, 08:26 PM
You might want to delete all of that if your name's not paula, nor anyone's who uses the computer. And then delete the user from control pannel. :eek:

Xander
09-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Eh? I don't get it. That is the local folder I was working from because I was previewing the file in Dreamweaver. Sorry I didn't really make that clear before. That may have been why lowering privacy security etc didn't get rid of it, although I use IE at work and preview in Dreamweaver without that happening!

Lord Magician
09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Same here, but I am fighting a evil corporation!

.......damn you AOL! :shifty:

Endless
09-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Does that page you were working on have javascript/vbscript/activex elements?

Xander
09-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah Javascript. But anyway..I found out the ebay thing may be something to do with my stupid norton internet security. Not sure. Disabling it makes the page a little better.

Endless
09-13-2005, 04:37 PM
I had problems with norton, so I had disabled the real time protection altogether since it was causing some page to never load (megatokyo, for example). When the trial was about to expire, it kept nagging me to register and pay for it, so I just removed it. :D