PDA

View Full Version : What kind of junk can/should I put in my resume?

Peegee
09-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Other than experience and education, most of what I can bring to my job involves the knowledge I have (whatever it is) involving computers. Now seeing as I don't have things like A+ cert, I'll have to itemise it all, and it's driving me bonkers because most of the stuff isn't 'applicable' to an office setting (and if I don't get an office job none of it matters anyway).

Knowing how to upload files via ftp or ssh may or may not be relevant, but then again nowadays it's as easy as drag and drop. I'm not a total doofus with the computer so I'm familiar with proper practices with using a computer (spyware/virus check/registry cleaners and the like), but does a company really give a jeff about that stuff?

So far I have listed html, office/works/open office, data entry, the ability to research and prepare a working manual for an accounting firm.

I have experience with photoshop, collating stuff, filing, installing hardware/software, basic troubleshooting skills, etc etc.

Just toss out ideas I may be able to put in, or advice in general, like not showing up to the interview in baggy jeans.

Because my parents will tell me that even though it's obvious.

:D

Endless
09-11-2005, 09:19 PM
What job are you applying for? I mean seriously, because obviously, what you can do with photoshop is completely irrelevant if your job is to type down accounting charts. Similarly, if you're going to be doing web edition, your knowledge of how to install hardware is unnecessary.

Peegee
09-11-2005, 09:27 PM
I haven't started looking as the resume's not updated, but hopefully something inside an office, or involving office work, rather than, say, McDonald's or mowing lawns (not that such jobs are bad/lowly, but I'd go mad doing it too long).

It's still vague -- can I be a data entry clerk? :D

-N-
09-11-2005, 09:50 PM
You'll at least need a one-line objective at the top of your resumé indicating what kind of field and what level position you're looking to find. That should also help you narrow down what you want to put in it to about a page.

Xander
09-11-2005, 10:11 PM
PG, don't be a data entry clerk that must be the most boring job ever...or one of them. I'm sure you can do something better than that.

Just make yourself sound good, relate it to the job you're going for, (you can always change it a bit when you actually apply for a job to suit that job), include as much experience as you can in relation to things the job asks for. It really does depend. Leave off irrelevant stuff, and I dont think it's even worth putting stuff about your interests although some people do.

They can ask you questions at the interview so keep it short and relevant! I'm sure it'll be easier when you have an exact job you want to go for.

bipper
09-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Completley correct. You must tweak (if not rewrite your resume for nearly EVERY job you go for). I would not suggest puttin that you networked 6 computers for a lan party onces, and all were using different Operating Systems. While that can be a feat, Make sure you jsut say that you have experience in networking multiple platforms together etc.

Any job that you have to be enitrely stiff for, is not worth it in my opinion. Be relaxed, and let your resume do all the stiff talking. Just don't try to explain things or go off on tangents in your resumen. A good saying, is simply don't air out your dirty laundry.

Good luck
Bipper

Dr Unne
09-13-2005, 01:20 AM
I agree that you should fit your resume to whatever job you want. When I applied for my job programming, I put stuff like "Independent Projects" which show that I'm a geek and code in my spare time. Then "Technical Skills" listing the programming languages I know, and the OSes I've used, etc. If it wasn't a programming job, no one would give half a crap. Think of what skills you have that would be useful at the job you're applying for. I think it's also good to put work experience no matter what kind of work it was, even if it's completely unrelated, just to show that you are willing to work and are capable of keeping a job. Someone's only going to spend 30 seconds looking at your resume anyways.