PDA

View Full Version : why do so many people hate Areis?

Carl the Llama
09-11-2005, 10:51 PM
[TR][TD]iv been wondering why so many of you people hate Areis? she was commited she was nice to everyone she gave her life for the planet and yet you people seem to mock her why is that IMO she is the best character in the game i mean in armageddon (the film with bruce willis) did you hate him? he gave his life for the planet and he saved his daughters husband do you really think she is such a bad person? people should respect her not hate her while she wasnt that good in battle she had a kind and gental heart hell she even cryed when her enemy died so tell me why do you hate her (or indeed why you dont hate her)

DMKA
09-11-2005, 11:23 PM
How could anyone even think about mocking Aeris?

Faris
09-12-2005, 01:46 AM
Because she doesn't have Tifa's boobs.

TheAbominatrix
09-12-2005, 01:51 AM
She cried when her enemy died? When was this?

Aerith, in my opinion, was a selfish person in many instances. The way she treated Tifa most especially, by hanging all over Cloud and demanding things like her love fortune read right in front of poor Tifa, whom she knew had feelings for Cloud. I'm not saying Cloud belongs to Tifa or anything, but a little tact and kindness on Aerith's end would be nice. The fact that being mean to Tifa will bring your points with Aerith up but doing the same to Aerith will make your points with Tifa go down says a lot about both girls.

Besides, it's all a matter of opinion. We dont 'need' to respect her, and we dont need to share the same views on her. Personally, I was quite glad when she died, and glad to be rid of her. She annoyed me to no end.

Vyk
09-12-2005, 02:01 AM
Personally I saw that as Aeris trying to goad Tifa into confessing by putting her into awkward situations. Had Tifa gotten upset and made a scene, she would have finally been able to vent her feelings and get it off her chest. I saw it as an attempt at a good thing. But I can see how it could be the other way around. I think Aeris was just a big flirt really. I'm not positive she woulda went into a relationship with Cloud even if she could. I think she was just enjoying his company. But anyway, to the heart of the matter. Judging from people's responses on these topics I'd have to assume it's because Aeris is a goody-two-shoes. She tried to be too much of a goody-goody? Its not natural to be that uh... for lack of a better word, "pure". People see it as 'trying too hard' and assume she's not being herself. She's not "human" enough. It would have been interesting to see a bit of a bad side I suppose. Tifa on the other hand had the conflict of unrequited love throughout most of the game that most people can relate to which makes her very human to them. So naturally a lot of people would choose Tifa over Aeris on surface value. I have to admit though for some reason I was doing a lot of reading between the lines as far as Aeris was concerned. So I prefer Aeris, but not all if is based on things given at face value. So in the most literal sense, it's merely my opinion. :D

Edit: About the crying thing. I honestly don't remember either. But I could see her having feelings about Tseng being killed. She was always running from the Turks, but somehow she had developed a bond with them as well. Especially him. But its been too long since I played it for me to really remember.

TheAbominatrix
09-12-2005, 02:08 AM
I didnt find Aerith to be much a goody-goody at all, despite the 'church girl' label everyone gives her. She was weak (physically), but she was a very forward girl, not at all a goody-goody in my eyes. Especially once I learned about how mean-spirited she can be in the triangle, as far as love points go.

As for the Tseng thing, she knew him since she was a child... so even if she did cry over his death, that isnt 'crying for an enemy', that was crying for someone she'd known her whole life. It wasnt like she cried for Hojo, or Prisdent ShinRa, or whoever.

Momiji
09-12-2005, 02:49 AM
I never did like Aeris. Not as a character or in battle. Too weak and annoying. I was kinda happy she died. *awaits insults from Aeris fans*

Vyk
09-12-2005, 02:56 AM
I don't insult people that hate her. They're entitled to their opinions. You just didn't really exlpain why you don't like her :D Or rather, why you consider her annoying.

leu
09-12-2005, 03:08 AM
I don't personaly like here she had usless atacks and all her best stuff was only found after she died.

G SpOtZ
09-12-2005, 03:55 AM
Why do so many people hate Aeris?
because she sux.

Slade
09-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Well I liked her. Why? I just did.

boys from the dwarf
09-12-2005, 07:13 AM
aeris has an annoying personality and isto much of a good guy. not even the slightest bit of evil. she is weak andjust sucks. she kis although friends with tifa trying to get to cloud before her.aeris is jusy an unlikable character.

ThroneofDravaris
09-12-2005, 07:46 AM
How could anyone even think about mocking Aeris?

If the irony was intended, then lol.

Channing
09-12-2005, 01:29 PM
I personally never cared for Aeris as a character. Her style was extremely weak and finding out sooner or later that she would be deceased really made her time in the game pointless.

Light Mage
09-12-2005, 01:42 PM
She cried after Tseng died in the Temple of the Ancients.

I think Aeris had all the innocence and 'lack of tact' of a child. Aeris was a sweet girl, not fighter, although she did have a strong fighting sprit...

Aeris, while having the character flaws that come with emotional immaturity, was a beautiful, pure and light spirit in a corrupt world, to have grown up in the Slums of Midgar and still retain her peaceful nature suggests she was a very special person - ie her primary weapon was called the "Guard" Stick and not the "Attack" Stick... for instance.

Carl the Llama
09-12-2005, 06:22 PM
because she sux.

[TR][TD]why do you think she sucks? is it because she is weak? she has good magic and great limit breaks (i mean filling 2 bar's for the price of one and of corse there is final limit break which makes the party invincible) she has the best limits of the whole party so why do you think she sucks? and as to her being forward with cloud there's an old saying that suits her attitude "all's fair in love and war" what is it you dont like about her?

Dreddz
09-12-2005, 06:29 PM
I dont see why people hate her, I bit too optimistic, but thats not that bad.....

MJN SEIFER
09-12-2005, 07:44 PM
I liked her. Her persons was good and she was a very pwerful fighter too.

TheAbominatrix
09-12-2005, 08:03 PM
because she sux.

[TR][TD]why do you think she sucks? is it because she is weak? she has good magic and great limit breaks (i mean filling 2 bar's for the price of one and of corse there is final limit break which makes the party invincible) she has the best limits of the whole party so why do you think she sucks? and as to her being forward with cloud there's an old saying that suits her attitude "all's fair in love and war" what is it you dont like about her?

Treating other people cruelly and flirting opening in front of them is not fair. When someone does it to you, see how fair it feels. It isnt fair, it isnt nice. If you think she's still a good person, fine, but I certainly dont.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
09-12-2005, 08:37 PM
i din't like her because i like to rely on physical attacks in battle (this helps as u have lots of MP when it is essential to use magic. and as a physical fighter, she was pants. Her limits were good but not worth the effort needed to get them

Carl the Llama
09-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Treating other people cruelly and flirting opening in front of them is not fair. When someone does it to you, see how fair it feels. It isnt fair, it isnt nice. If you think she's still a good person, fine, but I certainly dont.

[TR][TD]in her mind i think she already knew that she was going to go to the city of the anchients to use holy and that since she was doing it on her own she probly also knew that she would die so she wanted to know how compatable she and cloud were... so what she loved him and he loved her (you can obviously tell from the way he reacts when she dies) and also if tifa "loved" him as much as aeris then why didnt she do anything about it, ill tell you why, because she wanted cloud to be happy (or at least thats what i think) and he could be happy with aeris but i dont think her asking cait sith how compatable she and cloud are is cruel and id also like to note that is the only time i see her flirting in front of tifa and as a final point:

Tifa: ...And you are? Hey you're the one with Cloud in the park...

Aerith: Right, with Cloud.

Tifa: Oh......

Aerith: Don't worry. We just met. It's nothing.

Tifa: What do you mean, 'Don't worry'... about what? No, don't misunderstand. Cloud and I grew up together. Nothing more.

nuf said

KoShiatar
09-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Perhaps Aeris was too pure to have grown up in the slums...I have to admit she was much less harmless than I was thinking before I played the game.

Carl the Llama
09-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Perhaps Aeris was too pure to have grown up in the slums...I have to admit she was much less harmless than I was thinking before I played the game.

[TR][TD] remember she only came to the slums when her mother died and also dont forget she was a cetra they could have different behaviour patterns to humans.

Anniexo
09-12-2005, 09:23 PM
I don't see why anyone could hate her i mean come on look at her limit breack healing wind usefull so i think it is a sham that she has to die

Masamune·1600
09-12-2005, 10:21 PM
For whatever reason; Aeris tends to be an extremely polarizing character among the FF community at large; this is further compounded by the fact that both her fans and her detractors are often fairly vociferous as regards Aeris' character.

In any case, it seems that the most people that dislike Aeris fall into three broad categories. These are admittedly generalizations, but they cover most aspects of the debate.

The first category includes people that dislike Aeris based on her ostensible lack of utility in battle. This category itself divides into two subgroups; people that think her magical inclination/relative physical limitations make her a bad character (in terms of gameplay), and those who dislike her for her death, as this effectively renders all statistical development with Aeris pointless.

The first argument has more to do with style of gameplay than anything else, although judgment of Aeris in this way is usually misplaced. While her Strength growth curve is the lowest of any party member, and her Vitality and HP growth curves are significantly below average, her MP, Magic, and Spirit curves are by far the highest of any character. Her Dexterity and Luck growth are average. However, all statisitical variation is relatively meaningless in FFVII; there's never a huge difference, and anyone can be turned into a statistical powerhouse via Sources. Aeris leaves the party before Morph can be effectively turned to the purpose, of course, but at the time she leaves no one can derive these advantages.

The best way to evaluate a character in battle, really, is based on Limit Breaks. This can, depending on how you play, petrify your opinion of Aeris in battle. Given that her Breaks are all healing/defensive/indirect, as opposed to damaging, interpretation of Aeris can and will vary. Had Aeris survived, however, Great Gospel would have been almost undeniably the best Limit; it would have, really, unbalanced the already easy gameplay even more. Still, considering that most consider it a burden to level up Aeris' Limits/acquire Great Gospel while she's with the party, this isn't a necessarily significant factor.

My point here is that actually disliking a character based on battle doesn't really make a great deal of sense. As to her death ruining her development, just use her as desired.

The second category lays the only real claim anyone should have with regards to disliking a character (unless there's a character who really does suck compared to everyone else in battle). In this case, aspects of Aeris' personality, and interpretation of her character as regards the story, can lead people down wholly different paths as far as opinion goes.

Aeris' detractors in the area of character tend to point to several different developments and facets of personality. The one I find most relevant is her supposed cruelty to Tifa; there's no denying, after all, that she flirts incessantly with Cloud, undoubtedly aware of Tifa's feelings. I personally differ with many people on this score; however, I can certainly appreciate their point of view. While I don't feel that Aeris' actions regarding Cloud were meant to hurt Tifa, I can certainly see why somebody could hold a different opinion here.

The other character criticisms are somewhat undone by inconsistency; it's amazing how many people criticize her for being "quiet" and "subdued." While anyone can really attack any character trait (some people, for example, might be turned off by Aeris' optimism), this argument is flawed simply because Aeris did not display those traits.

I would thusly consider the "cruel to Tifa/flirting with Cloud" angle to be the primary relevant criticism, although (as I said) I don't necessarily see it that way myself.

The final group is basically the people that have jumped on the "I hate Aeris" bandwagon. People like these are inevitable; you'll also find no dearth of "FFVII fanboys/girls for no reason," "FFVII haters for no reason," "FF classic fanboys for no reason," and so on. That's not to say anything as regards other characters and titles, either positively or negatively; I merely suggest that there are many that have no reason to hold their views or are incapable of articulating why they hold them.

Aeris' fans probably fall into a larger number of groups, although they can generally be patterned after the same groups as the detractors. I won't go into greatdetail here, as the thread revolves around why people dislike Aeris, but her battle utility is a two-edged sword. The more magically inclined will certainly find her useful, although (as I said earlier) statistical variance generally balances out.

Aeris' fans, regarding character, are generally laudatory as regards her sacrifices, her general cheerfulness/optimism/trying to keep characters up, and her resolve regarding events at large as the game unfolds.

Like the detractors, there are also "bandwagon Aeris fans."

For myself, I've always liked Aeris' character. Strangely, I've always been a fan of Tifa as well; the two, along with Rydia, are probably my three favorite playable females in the series.

G SpOtZ
09-12-2005, 11:26 PM
never really thought of that. but still...

she simply sux.

Vyk
09-13-2005, 12:16 AM
:<3: Masamune

Though you bring up a point. When FF7 first released... for like a year or more the fans were rabid, and it was like you had to choose just ONE female in there to like, and it was always a horrid debate between Tifa and Aeris. Like you wouldn't be allowed to like both. I'm with you though. Why not like both? They're both nice and have plenty of personality when contrasted with other certain characters in the party (*coughvincentcough* ;P Yeah, I know, he was meant to be that way, and I have nothing against him for it) But yeah. I defend Aeris, but I'm not exclusively in her fanboy group. I like Tifa too. But people only ever hate her because she has big boobs. For the most part she's tolerated or well loved. She doesn't need defending. So I know I certainly look like an Aeris fanboy. I just don't see anything wrong with her. Personally or plotwise. Though I can understand people not wanting anything to do with her because she dies.

SuperMillionaire
09-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Wait a minute... could Tifa have hooked up with Vincent Valentine?

TheAbominatrix
09-13-2005, 04:25 AM

[TR][TD]in her mind i think she already knew that she was going to go to the city of the anchients to use holy and that since she was doing it on her own she probly also knew that she would die so she wanted to know how compatable she and cloud were... so what she loved him and he loved her (you can obviously tell from the way he reacts when she dies) and also if tifa "loved" him as much as aeris then why didnt she do anything about it, ill tell you why, because she wanted cloud to be happy (or at least thats what i think) and he could be happy with aeris but i dont think her asking cait sith how compatable she and cloud are is cruel and id also like to note that is the only time i see her flirting in front of tifa and as a final point:

Tifa: ...And you are? Hey you're the one with Cloud in the park...

Aerith: Right, with Cloud.

Tifa: Oh......

Aerith: Don't worry. We just met. It's nothing.

Tifa: What do you mean, 'Don't worry'... about what? No, don't misunderstand. Cloud and I grew up together. Nothing more.

nuf said

If you love someone, you do what's best for them, not what's best for you. Tifa cared about Cloud, but was quite aware that now was not the best time to tell him given the events going on and the fact that Cloud wasnt even in his right mind. Tifa was willing to step aside and let Aerith have Cloud, not for herself, not for Aerith, but for Cloud. That doesnt neccesarily mean Aerith would have made Cloud happy, or even that Tifa would. That lies on Cloud's end, and Tifa was willing to let Cloud make that decision for himself.

And that quote shows what? That Tifa denies her feelings for him because she's shy? Yep. Good job there.

Aerith's cruelty is cruel, whether she knew she was about to die or not. I hate people like that, so naturally I strongly dislike Aerith.

edit: Oh, and before anyone gets rabid on me... I just dont like her, and these are of course my opinions. Im not a rabid Tifa fan, and I really dont care who Cloud winds up with.

Light Mage
09-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Aeris' fans probably fall into a larger number of groups, although they can generally be patterned after the same groups as the detractors. I won't go into greatdetail here, as the thread revolves around why people dislike Aeris, but her battle utility is a two-edged sword. The more magically inclined will certainly find her useful, although (as I said earlier) statistical variance generally balances out.

Aeris' fans, regarding character, are generally laudatory as regards her sacrifices, her general cheerfulness/optimism/trying to keep characters up, and her resolve regarding events at large as the game unfolds.

Like the detractors, there are also "bandwagon Aeris fans."

For myself, I've always liked Aeris' character. Strangely, I've always been a fan of Tifa as well; the two, along with Rydia, are probably my three favorite playable females in the series.

I love Aeris the most out of all the others simply because she's the "healer" character. My favourite characters in all the Final Fantasy games are those with proficiency with restorative magic. And unlike the earlier FF games Aeris can also hold her own in battle when needed.

As for her cheerfulness/optimism she just can't compare to Rikku from FFX-2 or Selphie from FFVIII...

leu
09-13-2005, 12:34 PM
plus aeris had that personality that just pissis me off like in ten-2 you should of burned down the temple and wasted a few lives but no instead you send more in and they could of died I mean really throw sephiiroth through a wood chipper thats the end of him or throw a nuke down his hole not "we must use holy it's the only way"

Light Mage
09-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Wasn't Ifrit the Aeon in Besaid temple?

He's a fire elemental right? Burning down the temple would have been THE WORST course of action to take...

Nuking Seffie wouldn't have stopped Meteor as it had already been called (if they even had a Nuke Materia in the first place).

Heh. That's be cool. A Nuke Materia... like a combination of Flare and Ultima all in one.

Crop
09-13-2005, 05:00 PM
I liked Aeris I didnt like Tifa and I also dont like posting long explanations why.

Strawberry_Mew
09-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I didn't really hate Aeris. I loved her limit breaks they always came in handy XD Was really shocked she died when I first played it... made my jaw just drop :eek:

Carl the Llama
09-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Wasn't Ifrit the Aeon in Besaid temple?

[TR][TD] no he was in Kilika temple (its where Wakka go's to "pray for victory") the one in Besaid is the first temple which has Valefor

Rinoa_Heartillly
09-13-2005, 11:36 PM
I liked her, but sometimes she just got in the way.

Rengori
09-13-2005, 11:58 PM
1. It's spelled Aeris.
2. She sucks.

raskerino
09-14-2005, 12:10 AM
You people are missing a valid point: sometimes people just don't like someone... I couldn't stand her mainly for the reasons that Abominamatrix has stated really well, and also because I didn't find her character to be remotely interesting which is my opinion (there doesn't have to be a reason she just wasn't interesting).

Also something else, people say she sacrificed herself. I never noticed that, I personally only saw her go off optimistically thinking she was going to succeed, saying to Cloud not to worry- this did not strike me as going off to sacrifice yourself. It was also plain stupid if she thought sacrificing herself was the case because with a group she'd have time to complete the prayer- if she thought she'd die she'd have no way of knowing whether she'd have time or not.

So I consider her not to have sacrificed herself as I can't remember any evidence for that, I consider her to have tried and died trying, without expecting there to be much risk.

FFX_fanatiq
09-14-2005, 05:35 AM
sssssssssss

TheAbominatrix
09-14-2005, 05:37 AM
While I hate the love triangle argument, I would like to know what makes Tifa 'just lusting'. If anything, Aerith would be 'just lusting' (not saying she is).

Tifa has known Cloud all her life. Aerith just met him, and her intial attraction was because he reminded her of her dead boyfriend Zack. Aerith never even knew the real Cloud, as his memories and persona were screwed until the Lifestream incident.

FFX_fanatiq
09-14-2005, 05:39 AM
ssssssssssssss

TheAbominatrix
09-14-2005, 05:41 AM
I still dont see how that's nothing but lust.

Tifa didnt exclude Cloud from the group... he was far to shy to approach or join any of them, and she was too shy to ever reveal her feelings to him.

Can you please explain how that's nothing but lust, but Aerith's feelings are true?

FFX_fanatiq
09-14-2005, 05:45 AM
ssssssssssssssssssssssss

TheAbominatrix
09-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Okay, you have still yet to explain to me how any of that is lust. Really.

lust Audio pronunciation of "lust" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lst)
n.

1. Intense or unrestrained sexual craving.

I still dont see how Tifa is just lusting for him.

The rest is up to interpretation, though I will say that Cloud would have been very very hurt if anyone had died that day, particularily if he had failed them directly as he had failed Aerith. I find it very annoying that CloudxAerith fans will act like Cloud wouldnt have heavily mourned anyone but her, Cloud isnt that shallow of a character.

Rinoa_Heartillly
09-14-2005, 07:01 AM
I wouldn't say lusting, that's kinda slutty. I love Tifa.^^
Well, she just had that kinda of crush you have with your bestfriend since elementry school and never wanted to say anything until the time is right or and end. I still feel bad for Tifa when Aeris was around Cloud.

cookieface
09-14-2005, 07:07 AM
Aeris rocked the house biotch. Well, not really, but she was no better than Tifa in annoyance factor. She could beat stuff with a stick, no? What more do you want? Sure, it doesn't make sense for her to be kicking butt with a staff, her being so meek. But what does make sense in that game? How are we supposed to figure that Cid is good with a spear? Why? Sure, he builds high tech machines and flies rockets, but give the man a spear as a weapon :rolleyes2

ZuZu
09-14-2005, 08:49 AM
[TR][TD]iv been wondering why so many of you people hate Areis? she was commited she was nice to everyone she gave her life for the planet and yet you people seem to mock her why is that IMO she is the best character in the game i mean in armageddon (the film with bruce willis) did you hate him? he gave his life for the planet and he saved his daughters husband do you really think she is such a bad person? people should respect her not hate her while she wasnt that good in battle she had a kind and gental heart hell she even cryed when her enemy died so tell me why do you hate her (or indeed why you dont hate her)I hate Areis but I like Aeris

G SpOtZ
09-15-2005, 03:29 AM
I'd tap it. (tifa, i mean. not aeris. i wouldn't tap aeris even if i was a horrible desperate lonely lesbian. if i was a girl. lol.)

TheAbominatrix
09-15-2005, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't say lusting, that's kinda slutty. I love Tifa.^^

Lust IS the definition of a crush
of course we dont go around saying it

Lust isnt the definition of a crush. Crush means you like that person and would like to be in a relationship with them. Lust means you just want to be physical with them.

Yliette
09-17-2005, 12:20 PM
1. Although she has great limit breaks, she still dies not even halfway through the game hence rendering those limit breaks futile.

2. She may have a specialty over magical attacks but the Walled Snake boss at the Temple of the Ancients (where Aeris is a mandatory character) has rampart defense against magical attacks, again rendering Aeris futile.

3. How can someone so pure be so flirtatious over the guy she loves and in front of another girl who loves the same guy?

4. And the way she never considered Barret's feelings at the Gold Saucer. All she said was "Let's have some fun!" not even caring how bad Barret's mood was that time regarding his past towards Corel.

5. She may be 22 years old but still acts so juvenile. Far more sickening than Rikku from FFX-2 IMO. She's older than both Cloud and Tifa but the two former act more maturely than she does.

6. And basically, it was Tifa who actually cared. She held Aeris's hand when she died. And even after Aeris expired, Tifa still reminded Cloud of her in her memory.

7. And besides, Aeris never loved Cloud because of his natural being but because of his resemblance to Zack. Basically speaking, her feelings for Cloud are merely a reiteration of her feelings for Zack.

Vyk
09-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Well #7 she basically admits openly in a sort of off-handed fashion. As well as could be admitted anyway, since it wasn't known yet that Cloud was being Zack. And why aren't uh... "pure"? people allowed to flirt? I think Aeris's motive most of the time was just to have fun. Like at Gold Saucer? Having fun was probably the best medicine for Berret. Though I'll admit she might have just wanted to have fun herself. I won't presume to speak for her. But it is possible she just wanted him (and probably everyone else) to get his mind off his worries.

It's odd though. I'm a big fan of Rikku. But even I think Rikku is the more juvenile of the two. Of course... she is also a lot younger ^_^

Skyblade
09-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Well #7 she basically admits openly in a sort of off-handed fashion. As well as could be admitted anyway, since it wasn't known yet that Cloud was being Zack. And why aren't uh... "pure"? people allowed to flirt? I think Aeris's motive most of the time was just to have fun. Like at Gold Saucer? Having fun was probably the best medicine for Berret. Though I'll admit she might have just wanted to have fun herself. I won't presume to speak for her. But it is possible she just wanted him (and probably everyone else) to get his mind off his worries.

It's odd though. I'm a big fan of Rikku. But even I think Rikku is the more juvenile of the two. Of course... she is also a lot younger ^_^

Then she shouldn't have been so mean to Tifa, since she knew that Tifa had real feelings for Cloud.

Vyk
09-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Well its merely my opinion, but as I stated it earlier, I don't think she was trying to be mean to Tifa ;P I think she was trying to goad her into letting her own feelings flow. Aeris was a very open person. She probably thought it was best to let it out. That's always the advice people give others in that situation. You have a secret crush on someone? Just tell them! I think Aeris was trying to present Tifa with a situation to do just that. I really don't think Aeris was trying to hook up with Cloud. Considering the date was optional it would have been more the gamer's perogative. Had the date with Aeris been an absolute then maybe...

Skyblade
09-17-2005, 08:54 PM
I think she should've been "open" herself then. She should've tried just advising Tifa to tell Cloud how she felt than trying to trick her into doing it by making her jealous...

Yliette
09-17-2005, 11:51 PM
If she really was this goody-goody then she wouldn't have been so tactless to ask Cait Sith about Cloud and her fortune right front of Tifa.

and another thing that's ludicrous, how can she possibly say that she's used to danger if she asked Cloud to be her bodyguard? If she really is used to danger then she would have managed alone without occasionally yelling "Cloud! Help!"

tan
09-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Aeris was alright to me, but she was just kinda there. I think that the only reason she started flirting with Cloud in front of Tifa was because Tifa never made any move towards Cloud in the first place. If Tifa wanted Cloud she should've just gone after him :p

TheAbominatrix
09-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Tifa refrained from making a move because Cloud was not himself. Again, she was thinking of Cloud and trying not to further complicate things for him, not thinking of herself. If you love someone, you do what's best for them, not what's best for yourself.

Skyblade
09-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Tifa refrained from making a move because Cloud was not himself. Again, she was thinking of Cloud and trying not to further complicate things for him, not thinking of herself. If you love someone, you do what's best for them, not what's best for yourself.

Exactly. And I think Tifa would have let Cloud go with Aeris in order to make him happy, but I don't think Aeris would have done the same.

Carl the Llama
09-18-2005, 12:21 AM
um how do you know she refrained because cloud was not himself? (please not im not trying to be smart: its meant to come across as a question) and to further that how was Aeris suposed to know he was not himself (up to the point where he gave the black materia he acted normal which id also like to point out that was after she had finnished flirting with him (finnished as she was no longer in the party and not because she didnt want him) so tell me how was she suposed to know?

Yliette
09-18-2005, 12:22 AM
And Aeris neve loved Cloud as himself but of his resemblance to Zack. It was that scene when they sat together at the park in Sector 6 when she admitted that Cloud reminded her of her boyfriend - Zack.

TheAbominatrix
09-18-2005, 12:27 AM
I never said Aerith was supposed to know he wasnt himself.

Tifa's actions in the game suggest many many times that she knows Cloud is not himself. She knows he wasnt in Nibelheim, and has a good hunch he was never in SOLDIER. She continually tries to steer his fractured memories back on track.

Tifa
"You forgot the promise, too."

Cloud
"Promise?"

(Tifa looks down.)

Tifa
"So you DID forget."
"Remember.... Cloud. It was seven years ago..."

And multiple other times during the story. She knows the truth about the events in Nibelheim (at least to a degree) and knows that something is wrong with Cloud. However, she doesnt straight out tell him because she knows it could break his already fragile psyche. She uses the same care in her relations with him, not to mention that Tifa is a very shy, reserved person. She doesnt just blurt out her feelings, they're too important to her to do so.

XxSephirothxX
09-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Personally, I really liked both Aerith and Tifa. =(

Yliette
09-18-2005, 12:36 AM
And to think that Aeris fans label Tifa as a slut for what she wears. She dresses like that 'coz she's a bartender just dressing one's occupation. And during the game, Tifa and Aeris treated each other like best friends. Now if one knows that her best friend is in love with the same guy then she wouldn't have been so tactless to go ask fortunes in front of her best friend! Aeris should have thought that if she did care.

I believe that Tifa has a much deeper personality and past than Aeris does. The only aspect that makes Aeris esoteric is that she has Cetra (Ancient) blood in her but her personality is just too shallow.

Vyk
09-18-2005, 01:18 AM
What? Aeris wouldn't have stopped them. And nobody said she was a goody goody. She's just presented in that light @_@ And she liked Cloud herself. So why not flirt with him? Granted she liked him for the wrong reasons. But she knew and accepted that herself. Not to mention Tifa tried to convince her that there was nothing between herself and Cloud. Is that not a green light? You people hate Aeris for being too "pure" one minute, and then hate her for being human the next XD (Note that by "you people" I certainly don't mean everyone :D)

Edit: Wow, my post looks stupid now XD Musta got a delayed update on the thread as there's been like 10 replies since what I was replying to ^_^ *Whistles and casually walks away*

Yliette
09-18-2005, 08:09 AM
The correct way is by saying that we hate Aeris for being judged as someone so "pure" by her fans when on the other side of the coin she's just some flirtatious bimbo girl with a dim personality.

Euan_hmfc
09-18-2005, 09:47 AM
I couldn't actually tell you why I hate Aeris, but I guess I'm not a white mage type of person. I barely ever use them (and maybe that's why I've never completed a FF game, or even a RPG ;)), and she just seemed weak in comparison to everyone else.

Alive-Cat
09-18-2005, 01:39 PM
You've never completed an FF game?
Anyway, I didn't know ANYONE hated Aeris...personally everyone i know has a huge shrine to her in their closet...what...you dont? uhh i dont etiher...

Quiksilver326
09-20-2005, 08:37 PM
*SPOILERS*

Cloud and Tifa have a kid......in Advent Children

Carl the Llama
09-20-2005, 10:23 PM
*SPOILERS*

Cloud and Tifa have a kid......in Advent Children

[TR][TD]are you sure? the kid in the clips is Marleen (i know this as i have a trailer with subtitles) or have you actully seen the movie?

Quiksilver326
09-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Yeah it's that guy with the brown afro.

Mercen-X
09-20-2005, 11:45 PM
There are two kids shown throughout the movie. Marlene and Denzel. Marlene is already known for her debut in VII. Denzel is just a kid with Geostigma that Cloud and Tifa are helping . . . along with all the other kids.

Cloud and Tifa don't have a kid. Honest. There's not much to suggest they're even a couple save a ring they both wear on their right hands (as pointed out by Abominatrix, I believe.) I'd love nothing more than to see a kid of Cloud and Tifa. But bear in mind, this movie takes place only TWO YEARS after the game. Any kid in the film would have had to undergo a serious growth spurt or heinous genetic engineering which you know neither Cloud nor Tifa would even consider. So far, I haven't seen any tiny tots in the Advent Children trailers. So . . . that's a no.

In response to the above post . . . what kid/guy has an afro?

Masamune·1600
09-21-2005, 03:35 AM
Obviously, Denzel is neither Cloud's nor Tifa's son. According to Kazushige Nojima's On the Way to a Smile, which helps bridge FFVII and AC, Denzel's parents were named Abel and Chloe. Abel was a Shinra employee, promoted to head of section shortly before Shinra collapsed the Sector 7 plate. The family lived on the Sector 7 plate, and, given his position, Abel was forewarned. Denzel was sent to Sector 5, but Abel went looking for Chloe (who had run off). Both Abel and Chloe presumably died when the plate collapsed.

DarkLord
09-27-2005, 04:15 PM
If a person like her existed i'd like them, but that wont happen, she was too perfect, good but annoying

Winter Nights
09-27-2005, 05:52 PM
My biggest problem with Aerith is that se keeps getting thrown into this pure light by fans and now by the creators with Advent Children.. But in the game, she was nothing like that. Hell, her death was her own damn fault for running off. They state in the game that really didn't expect to die, so the sacrifice bit is a bit dumb.

Ceil
09-28-2005, 01:09 AM
She cried when her enemy died? When was this?

Aerith, in my opinion, was a selfish person in many instances. The way she treated Tifa most especially, by hanging all over Cloud and demanding things like her love fortune read right in front of poor Tifa, whom she knew had feelings for Cloud. I'm not saying Cloud belongs to Tifa or anything, but a little tact and kindness on Aerith's end would be nice. The fact that being mean to Tifa will bring your points with Aerith up but doing the same to Aerith will make your points with Tifa go down says a lot about both girls.

Besides, it's all a matter of opinion. We dont 'need' to respect her, and we dont need to share the same views on her. Personally, I was quite glad when she died, and glad to be rid of her. She annoyed me to no end.

What he said :)

1. Although she has great limit breaks, she still dies not even halfway through the game hence rendering those limit breaks futile.

2. She may have a specialty over magical attacks but the Walled Snake boss at the Temple of the Ancients (where Aeris is a mandatory character) has rampart defense against magical attacks, again rendering Aeris futile.

3. How can someone so pure be so flirtatious over the guy she loves and in front of another girl who loves the same guy?

4. And the way she never considered Barret's feelings at the Gold Saucer. All she said was "Let's have some fun!" not even caring how bad Barret's mood was that time regarding his past towards Corel.

5. She may be 22 years old but still acts so juvenile. Far more sickening than Rikku from FFX-2 IMO. She's older than both Cloud and Tifa but the two former act more maturely than she does.

6. And basically, it was Tifa who actually cared. She held Aeris's hand when she died. And even after Aeris expired, Tifa still reminded Cloud of her in her memory.

7. And besides, Aeris never loved Cloud because of his natural being but because of his resemblance to Zack. Basically speaking, her feelings for Cloud are merely a reiteration of her feelings for Zack.

What he said too :) (soz i forgot the name; i had that in my clipboard as I read the thread)

Anyway, Aeris is a useless character. She wasn't that good even before she died. Once I found out she wouldn't see the second disc, I never used her again. I just couldn't be arsed building up a character that I can't use throughout the game.

kikimm
09-28-2005, 01:23 AM
I just think Aeris is really, really obnoxious most the time, and I really, really like Tifa. :D Aeris is like, the embodiment of everything I can't stand in a person.

I'll admit, she does have her moments, but most of the time, that's the way I feel about her.

kratos_GoS
10-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Damn you all!!!
Aeris was a great character and i will allways buy the flower from her

cleristhkilla
10-18-2005, 06:18 PM
The Aeris in FF7 is way different than she is in Advent Children. In Advent Children, she's represented as being this goddess like figure. I hate her. And her stupid fans make it worse for me. I'm glad she died, that bitch should burn in hell for all the things she did. :)

Light Mage
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
What things were they, then...?

*sharpens a Masamune*

Yliette
10-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Damn you all!!!
Aeris was a great character and i will allways buy the flower from her

And I will always buy the flower from her and give it to Tifa! Talk about cruel irony!

cleristhkilla
10-19-2005, 12:22 AM
What things were they, then...?

*sharpens a Masamune*

I won't elaborate for you since many of the posters already did. She's selfish and tacless, and way overrated. Not deserving of most of the praise she gets at all.

G SpOtZ
10-19-2005, 01:19 AM
The Aeris in FF7 is way different than she is in Advent Children. In Advent Children, she's represented as being this goddess like figure. I hate her. And her stupid fans make it worse for me. I'm glad she died, that bitch should burn in hell for all the things she did. :)
LMAO i mean i hated her as a character, but DAMN! hahah woww... good laugh, good laugh.

Rengori
10-19-2005, 02:09 AM
And I will always buy the flower from her and give it to Tifa! Talk about cruel irony!
Aeris is probably crying in her grave. But since it's underwater, she probably won't be heard. :lol:

soulICE
10-19-2005, 02:59 AM
and buying the flower from Aeris in the beginning doesnt count towards the "dating game". giving the flower to Tifa does :p

TheAbominatrix
10-19-2005, 03:02 AM
Yes it does. It gives you points towards Aerith if you buy the flower, points towards Tifa if you give it to her, and points towards Barret if you buy it from Marelene.

DarkLord
10-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Burn In Hell!!!!

ThroneofDravaris
10-26-2005, 03:15 PM
I will......when Hell freezes over!

...wait.

Christmas
10-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Well, maybe because people used to love her until she is dead and we realized she cannot be revived. So:

Love ---> Grief ----->Sorrow-----> Despair ----->Anger----->Hatred.

In the end, those that love her begin to hate her and those that had never love her begin to hate her even more.

:D

ThroneofDravaris
10-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Someone has either been watching too much star wars, or playing too much FFIX...

KadajDE
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
[FONT="Impact"][/FO
NT]This wouldnt of happened if Cloud wouldve of stopped Sephiroth,too late,oh well,Yunie didnt die though,thats not fair at all

KadajDE
10-26-2005, 03:33 PM
da hell?y'd my title cam out like that?!DAMN,ALL CAUSE OF SEPHIROTH

Light Mage
10-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Ya know, you can just go back and edit the post to fix it ;-)

thewarlock
11-04-2005, 12:49 AM
I think that she let you down when you need her the most game-wise, I mean, you level her up so much and she dies permantly! It was a real let down for me. (Sure, you get yuffie, buts its not the same).