PDA

View Full Version : How did squall survive that big ice chunk?

nik0tine
09-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Seriously.. I've played this game countless times, but I don't think that it ever explaines what happened. He clearly gets impaled by Edea, but when he wakes up at the beginning of the second disc he has no wound at all and is perfectly fine. How is that explained?

Slade
09-12-2005, 07:17 AM
It dosnt get explained but its kind of obvious. Edea needed to know what the meaning of SeeD is. She thinks because Squall is the leader, Cid wouldve told him (which is not the case), so she prevents him from dying after he falls from the parade float. Thats the most logical explaination. Shes got the power!!! :D

boys from the dwarf
09-12-2005, 07:20 AM
its magic. hooray for final :)FANTASY:).

Necronopticous
09-12-2005, 07:42 AM
Simple, he's the protagonist.

ThroneofDravaris
09-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Edea's limit break is piss weak.

Seriously, try it out; it does like, 200 damage on disk 3!

Kamrusepas
09-12-2005, 08:06 AM
Shes got the power!!! :D

Halleluja :D

Masamune·1600
09-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Given that Edea's Ice Strike seems to strike Squall in his shoulder (http://www.ffshrine.org/ff8/fmvshots-disc1/18-endofdisci/00014.jpg), as opposed to the more critical areas nearby, it doesn't really need to be considered a miracle that he survived the attack.

Further, healing beyond normal means is clearly possible in FFVIII. Note that in the D-District Prison, Selphie's attempts to utilize a Cure spell are undone by the presence of an anti-magic field.

Selphie: Draw... Cure!

Zell: Ow ow ow...

Quistis: It's no use. There seems to be an anti-magic field here.

This suggests that even para-magic (to say nothing of the power of the Witch Embodiment) is legitimate as an applicable force in real world physics as well as battle mechanics. As such, it's probable that the means to preserve Squall's life were at hand, if his life was really even in danger.

Mitch
09-12-2005, 09:54 AM
She thinks because Squall is the leader, Cid wouldve told him (which is not the case),

Forgive me if I'm wrong, and forgive me for just being a dick but Squall isn't the leader of SeeD at that point in the game.

But I think it just makes it more dramatic really.

ezzarian
09-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Maybe she just used those sword duds they use in movies to scare Squall's brains out! You know those fake swords with belt-thingies in the middle!

Shadow Bahamut
09-12-2005, 10:33 AM
it is true that Squall got hit in the shoulder, so it's not really surprising that he survived, and there wouldn't be any scar visible cos he wears a shirt and jacket.
I'm sure Square would have an explaination, they wouldn't put something in without reasoning...

Polaris
09-12-2005, 11:20 AM
It was to give some suspense to teh game.... when I saw it I thoght 'no, he can't die' and he dind't... oh man I was sooooo sad!!!! lol I'm joking...

redxiiii
09-12-2005, 03:59 PM

I did try it out and when I used it it did around 3500.

* White Aeris *
09-12-2005, 04:56 PM
same here. maybe depends on the partys levels or something like that.

Gilgamesh of Legends
09-12-2005, 09:57 PM
or her junctions...

Old Manus
09-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Mirrors.

nik0tine
09-12-2005, 10:56 PM
But this still doesn't explain how he can have no wound at all.

Big D
09-13-2005, 12:53 AM
Curaga, Full-Life... all those could easily explain how there's no wound. At the start of the game, Squall's face is deeply gashed by Seifer's gunblade. Seifer suffers a similar injury. Squall wears a bandage for a couple of hours, but then he's fine. Seifer doesn't bother with a bandage at all.

No sutures, no antibiotics, no dressing - but both have a permanent scar within hours of sustaining their injuries. If this were to happen in real life, their wounds would re-open and bleed for days, even weeks. Squall would've had blood all over his face during the entire Dollet mission.
It makes no sense at all, unless some kind of Healing magic were used to aid their recovery. I'm guessing Dr Kadowaki has a stock of white magic spells.

Captain Maxx Power
09-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Simple, he's the protagonist.

Protagonistic duties do not immunity to death make. Granted I can only think of one example where the main protagonist does die.

As for the whole Icicle deal, well here's a logical explination. Upon impact if the ice was cold enough it would have cortorized on the moment of impact. In other words, it would've sealed off the tissue around the wound, thusly no blood loss is suffered, which considering the point of impact would be the cause of death since it quite possibly missed any vital organs. As for how he was patched up afterwards...Magic. Curaga, I dunno. I'm not here to explain this to you people! I'm going for a snooze.

G SpOtZ
09-13-2005, 01:28 AM
maybe there is a giant gaping hole in his chest, but didn't die because of curative magic. they never show squall with his shirt and jacket off, do they? so it's possible he has a giant gaping hole in his chest

nik0tine
09-13-2005, 03:12 AM
He says that there is no wound at all, but I guess the only explanation is magic of some sort.

Big D
09-13-2005, 03:16 AM
That makes sense, what with Edea being a POWERFUL SORCERESS with STRONGER MAGIC THAN REGULAR HUMANS and all that:p

XxSephirothxX
09-13-2005, 03:24 AM
I think "because it's a videogame" fits pretty well in this instance.

Vyk
09-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Or the "icicle" never did any real damage. It was magic itself. Who's to say it was actaully ice. It could have just took the likeness of ice. It could have went through him in an ethereal fashion. Perhaps its purpose was merely to knock him out, drain him, or some such stuff. They never specifically state the reasoning, or purpose. She obviously didn't need to kill him to defend herself.

Squall of SeeD
09-13-2005, 04:06 AM
Or the "icicle" never did any real damage. It was magic itself. Who's to say it was actaully ice. It could have just took the likeness of ice. It could have went through him in an ethereal fashion. Perhaps its purpose was merely to knock him out, drain him, or some such stuff. They never specifically state the reasoning, or purpose. She obviously didn't need to kill him to defend herself.

Remember, Magic is a very real thing in these stories. It can heal a wound or make one. It definitely did damage. Edea just healed it afterward, probably.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, and forgive me for just being a dick but Squall isn't the leader of SeeD at that point in the game.

He was the leader of the group sent to put a bullet in her head. That's what masamune1600 was referring to.

boys from the dwarf
09-13-2005, 07:26 AM

I did try it out and when I used it it did around 3500.
and i tried it out and it did 5400.

ThroneofDravaris
09-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Yeah ok, I get it; I'm wrong....

ezzarian
09-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Maybe he fed some idiot Polyjuice Potion and the idiot took his place while Squall watch(and grinned) from the sidelines! The idiot died and all Squall had to do was act all weak and stuff! The power of wizardry! :D

Captain Maxx Power
09-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah ok, I get it; I'm wrong....

You did Junction her Magic stat right?