PDA

View Full Version : EoFF cursed?

udsuna
09-12-2005, 07:41 PM
I've thought about this, and I think EoFF is cursed against relationships that begin, and are declared, here. I've seen three romantic couples form here, and all of them ended within a week of the first public display.

For those wondering the score.

1. Iri Valentine and myself- about two days
2. smittenkitten and apollo- three days, four tops
3. Social Moon Firesky and Bardok- not sure, no more than 5

Of course, I'm not everywhere at once, so I'm sure you guys got your own stories on that one. Which may or may not support my theory.

Rye
09-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Naw, it's really just the ones that start between young people or ones that are pity relationships.

Crystal Tears
09-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I didn't even know about those (bless the newbie) and as far as I'm concerned, my internet relationships are kept as friends

~*Crystal

udsuna
09-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Naw, it's really just the ones that start between young people

Doesn't "young people" cover just about everyone here?

As for "pity relationships"... I'm not aware of any examples.

Rye
09-12-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm talking about young teens, like around 13.

edczxcvbnm
09-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Define young. My relationship with my GF here lasted a year and a few months. That was like...3 years ago when it ended. Possibly more?

udsuna
09-12-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm talking about young teens, like around 13.

None of my examples were that young.

Craig
09-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Are you sure it's not just the internet's fault?

Rye
09-12-2005, 07:52 PM
I've seen a lot of relationships on EoFF last for a very long time, but the people were in their late teens or were adults, so I guess that's what I was trying to get at. :p

Miriel
09-12-2005, 07:59 PM
I've thought about this, and I think EoFF is cursed against relationships that begin, and are declared, here. I've seen three romantic couples form here, and all of them ended within a week of the first public display.

Eh. Ditto Craig and Rye. It's the internet in general, not just EoFF. I see it all the time in FFXI.

"Omg, I love you! Let's get married!"
*2 weeks later*
"Omg, I hate you! I'm quitting the game cause your face sucks!"

But like Rye said, there's been plenty of relationships that have started here on EoFF and have lasted a long time.

Raistlin
09-12-2005, 08:02 PM
I don't think EoFF is cursed. I think that online 13-year-old relationships are "cursed."

Flying Mullet
09-12-2005, 08:03 PM
I don't think EoFF is cursed. I think that online 13-year-old "relationships" are cursed.
Fixed your quotes there for you. ;)

Raistlin
09-12-2005, 08:06 PM
I actually thought of doing that, but I didn't want to sound <i>too</i> mean.

Flying Mullet
09-12-2005, 08:08 PM
No worries, I'll do it for you.

I don't mind being mean to the ungrateful little bastards. :chef:

Raistlin
09-12-2005, 08:09 PM
http://static.zoovy.com/img/therestlessmouse/W150-H150-Bffcccc/4c04

Vyk
09-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Did any of those know each other for more than six months? I think the bad part is they didn't know each other (relatively speaking) before they got involved. Its bad when you learn while in the relationship. 'Cause then the quirks are a surprise. But if those quirks are prestented outside a relationship, i.e. friendship, they're easier to shrug off and get used to. I just think its easier to get involved with someone you already know pretty well. Sadly most of the people I fall for feel differently, and its a case of "waited too long" (which I think is more of an excuse and cop-out) and I land in the friend zone. But I know if I were given a chance, relationships would last a lot longer than the average because we'd know each other. Which is precisely what happened with my ex-. Friends forever, and then an awesome relationship.

Maxico
09-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Not cursed, it's just not a very good way to start a relationship.

MecaKane
09-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Did Raf go to FFL or did Phoenix come here? :eek:

Also you're a dope, lots have lasted longer than a week or a month. Start following relationships that don't concern newbies.

Jebus
09-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Raistlin wins.

Old Manus
09-12-2005, 08:30 PM
wtf I have been with RSL for years now

udsuna
09-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Also you're a dope

And you're rude. Do note that I'm pretty sure I still fall under than "newbie" catagory. Not to mention, "after public display"- no mention of how much time they were together prior to letting the people here know. Also note that I requested stories... aka, actual examples, to either support or refute. Because I knew I didn't possess a complete enough data supply. Nor did you, if this is the kind of stuff I need to clarify.

boris no no
09-12-2005, 08:40 PM
i do not agree really
me and chubbzilla have been dating for almost 2 months
and i don't know how lond lindy and xandie have been together

plus come on iri? she was meant to be dating LWL wasn't she?

Jojee
09-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Actually, I'm with Rye. I know of lot of "pity relationships" that happened and I can guess as to a few more that were pity relationships, but I won't mention them here. ^_^ Many people just don't take online relationships very seriously. :]

Flying Mullet
09-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Dude, you're with everyone.

Jojee
09-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Even you? :-*

Psychotic
09-12-2005, 08:46 PM
PSYCHOTIC AND MEAT PUPPET 2GETHA 4EVA IT IS TRUE LOVE THAT WE SHARE :love:

udsuna
09-12-2005, 08:53 PM
plus come on iri? she was meant to be dating LWL wasn't she?

I got her first, but you've definately got a point. There goes that theory *shrugs*... now, back to that Kennedy assassination thingy....

And Old Manus... if you're with RSL, does that mean you're really Rydia?

Old Manus
09-12-2005, 08:54 PM
WTF HE R 2TIMIN US

Giga Guess
09-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Cloud_Of_Midgar and Sen lasted a while....a couple years, I think.

Reles
09-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Rubah and KB seem to be doing well. :D So far atleast.

EoFF messed up my relationship with my ex boyfriend, but he didn't necessarily go here. Heh.

EDIT: Typo.

Raistlin
09-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Well, if we're talking about relationships that worked, Unney and BUO lasted a number of years until it was brought into the spotlight by the evil Kishi.

And then, of course, the Psychotic - Loony BoB love affair of '04. That was pretty interesting.

EDIT: And who can forget the relationship between Kane and Joel! That's still going on, as far as I know.

Flying Mullet
09-12-2005, 10:34 PM
EDIT: And who can forget the relationship between Kane and Joel! That's still going on, as far as I know.
Hot and steamy from what I hear.

DMKA
09-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Internet relationships?

Fail.

Rye
09-12-2005, 10:40 PM

:<3:

Leeza
09-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Internet relationships?

Fail.
Are you forgetting Spuuky and Calliope? They seem to be doing just fine. :cat:

Dignified Pauper
09-12-2005, 10:46 PM

What about BoB!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

nik0tine
09-12-2005, 10:53 PM
No, it's just that online relationships are lame and don't work.

Agent Proto
09-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Relations that are online only tend to not last very long. That is once the two meet in person, it can either go longer or end there.

And I speak from experience. :D

Faris
09-12-2005, 11:35 PM
I just don't get into relationships online or offline (for the momment). :D

I'm so alone!

Jojee
09-12-2005, 11:37 PM
I'll always B thar 4$U, faris........ :joey: :drool:

Faris
09-12-2005, 11:39 PM
I'll always B thar 4$U, faris........ :joey: :drool:
No thanks Jojo. ^_^

Hawkeye
09-12-2005, 11:41 PM
WTF HE R 2TIMIN US
WTF TRI LEIK 3TIMIN US I H4TE U PLYERZ

Psychotic
09-12-2005, 11:42 PM
WTF HE R 2TIMIN US
WTF TRI LEIK 3TIMIN US I H4TE U PLYERZ
2 GUD 4 DIS JOINT MAN I B33N PLAYIN YALL LIEK A FRIKKIN ACCORDION!

GooeyToast
09-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Me and my dog have been going 8 yrs steady

Jojee
09-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Did you meet your dog online? :drool:

And Faris.... :cry: :cry: :cry: ...Feel the wrath of a thousand monkeys!!! :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: etc ;\

*cough* Yes online relationships work just as well as real life relationships if you're dedicated ^__^

Vyk
09-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Online relationships usually fall under the long distance relationship. Which, yes, will fail, if the distance is never eliminated.

Doomie
09-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Well, about a year ago, Jojo came up to me on MSN and said "Erik -censored-, and after that, I want you to -censored- all night long. Will you please be my online boyfriend?". I agreed because I felt bad. :( We had our fun, but it just wasn't meant to be. :(

Reles
09-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Online relationships usually fall under the long distance relationship. Which, yes, will fail, if the distance is never eliminated.

NOT TRUE NOT TRUE NOT TRUE.

Oh and go R and KB! Again...

Cuchulainn
09-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Online relationships will not & can not last. I'm waiting for the exception to that rule. I've known people who met online & maybe STARTED it online, but progressed to meeting etc etc, they can work. But unless you plan to meet, wave goodbye to your typing foreplay and your emoicon affections.

PS: Shabba.

Vyk
09-13-2005, 12:59 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant. I never said any kind of time limit. But they WILL die eventually if you never meet. You can't (or at least shouldn't) get married and grow old together online.

Shlup
09-13-2005, 01:20 AM
Most relationships fail in general. Maybe humanity is cursed?

DK
09-13-2005, 01:30 AM
BoB is MY man, you heathen bitches. And so is James Latimer Cockney Rebel/Joaquin but he never posts anymore.

Dr Unne
09-13-2005, 01:32 AM
Nothing can come between me and RSL.

RSL
09-13-2005, 01:33 AM
:love:

Jebus
09-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Like someone said, online relationships are, at their core, long distance relationships. Unless of course you live in the same city or nearby.

Those aren't likely to last, although some do. Nothing has a 100% success rate, but that also means it doesn't have a 100% failure rate. It might be luck, it might be something else. Who the hell knows. Or cares for that matter.

Yamaneko
09-13-2005, 01:45 AM
Internet relations? I thought that was only legal in Alabama.

rubah
09-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Well darn.

Vyk
09-13-2005, 01:56 AM
Most relationships fail in general. Maybe humanity is cursed?
Winner!

Sasquatch
09-13-2005, 01:57 AM
There's a difference in a relationship over the internet, though, and a relationship which starts over the internet. While I was in Iraq, a lady friend back home "set me up" with one of her friends, who I talked to online, but met a couple months later when I came home on leave. If we had decided to make a romantic relationship out of it, it wouldn't have been an internet relationship, just a temporarily-long-distance relationship. Now, though it's not what I wanted, we ended up just becoming friends, and even if went somewhere else and couldn't talk to her but online, it still wouldn't be a simple "online relationship". Online relationship rarely work, because of the lack of (for lack of a better term) closeness. There's trust, physical contact, plenty of things that you don't have except in a "real" relationship.

Vyk
09-13-2005, 02:06 AM
Well, to stick up for all those in a good online relationship for the moment, I understand. Sometimes all you need (for a while anyway) is just for someone to care. Its easy to be patient if you have that foundation. In an online and/or long distance relationship, more than anything else I'd imagine, it really is the thought that counts. I was in a long distance relationship for a year and a half before I couldn't take it anymore. It was like dangling a carrot in front of me. I could never quite get it, but it was there. A lot of people consider online relationships to be fake. Like the person on the other end is just an illusion or something. Its comforting to know someone real somewhere out there really cares about you. That carrot deffinitely is real. It just sucks, eventually, to not be able to grab it. Sometimes you just want, or need to hold, or be held.

SomethingBig
09-13-2005, 03:14 AM
I was wondering where Iri went.

It's not EoFF; it's you guys(no offense). You joined EoFF within a few days of Iri and how long did it take for you to get to know her, then start "dating" her? Do you live in the same country as her? I think the male EoFFers who look for their girlfriends on this site decide, "OMFG FEMALE GAMER 4TW HOT DATE NOW!" instead of, "Let's see, where do I live in comparison of this person? Should I get to know her first? I mean it will be a long-distance, internet relationship which will take LOTS of time and effort." You guys don't take into consideration the hard work an online, long-distance relationship needs.

By the way, smittenkitten and apollo are 15 year olds.

Sasquatch
09-13-2005, 04:12 AM
I was wondering where Iri went.

So was I, actually. Where'd she go?

Reles
09-13-2005, 04:31 AM
She left. That's all I'm gonna say.

DMKA
09-13-2005, 04:49 AM
There's a difference in a relationship over the internet, though, and a relationship which starts over the internet. While I was in Iraq, a lady friend back home "set me up" with one of her friends, who I talked to online, but met a couple months later when I came home on leave. If we had decided to make a romantic relationship out of it, it wouldn't have been an internet relationship, just a temporarily-long-distance relationship. Now, though it's not what I wanted, we ended up just becoming friends, and even if went somewhere else and couldn't talk to her but online, it still wouldn't be a simple "online relationship". Online relationship rarely work, because of the lack of (for lack of a better term) closeness. There's trust, physical contact, plenty of things that you don't have except in a "real" relationship.
In Iraq?

Fail.

Sephex
09-13-2005, 04:55 AM
If Eoff is cursed in terms of relationships falling apart, then real life is DOOOOOOMED!!

Dazed and Confused
09-13-2005, 05:15 AM
Sorry guys but I am cabbege. Can someone please clear this up for me? These online relationships, do they just consist of people talking on line and then 'going out' but never seeing each other EVER because they live in different countries etc???? No thanks, personally.

Vyk
09-13-2005, 05:54 AM
There is no "going out" in an online relationship. There is however the feeling of commitment and attachment. Like I said earlier, sometimes, for some people, it is enough to just have someone out there that cares to tide you over. And its not always never ever. Like I said, they NEED to meet... eventually.

o_O
09-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Erik and Moomba lasted for quite a while. I haven't seen Erik for ages. :(

Endless
09-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Did Raf go to FFL or did Phoenix come here? :eek:

Also you're a dope, lots have lasted longer than a week or a month. Start following relationships that don't concern newbies.

She had registered at EoFF long before I joined FFL, but in truth, it's on Bastardly Prod.'s boards we talked the most.
Also, we had our 2nd wedding anniversary last month.

ZuZu
09-13-2005, 10:16 AM

what? Kitty and Bardok?! never knew about this.....

Mitch
09-13-2005, 10:21 AM
It's scandalous

Faris
09-13-2005, 12:14 PM

what? Kitty and Bardok?! never knew about this.....
*cough* (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60823)

Loony BoB
09-13-2005, 01:33 PM
No offence to the individuals, but I both didn't know about the relationships you stated and, reading at least one name out of each of the three examples, am not surprised they didn't last.

A couple is made up of two individuals, and unless both are capable of holding together a serious view on the relationship, it will collapse.

My relationships that started at EoFF have lasted seven months, four days, thirteen-fourteen months, three months and three months. Of the four that were serious enough, I only actually met two of them.

People can work online relationships into offline relationships if they have the right kind of mind and heart for it - and of course for their partner. If they don't, they won't, and that's that.

DK
09-13-2005, 01:35 PM
:(

Lindy
09-13-2005, 01:40 PM
I've always wondered how online relationships work when the people get together.

I mean, how do they get used to such primitive forms of communication as touch and speech?

Do they spend the first few months in different rooms talking to each other on computers, or just leave notes around for each other?

To : dave@bathroom.home.com
Subject : How long are you going to be?

Luara
09-13-2005, 01:41 PM
whatever... :rolleyes2

Behold the Void
09-13-2005, 04:23 PM
I have seen an online relationship work, but it was approached with the intent of it not ALWAYS being online. That's one of the important parts about it, it cannot remain online or it will fall apart, just like long-distance relationships.

Sasquatch
09-13-2005, 05:13 PM
In Iraq?

Fail.

It wasn't an online relationship, slick. That was my entire point. It didn't matter if it was while I was in Iraq, or at a Klan rally in Oklahoma, or bombing abortion clinics in Georgia, or wherever. The point was that it wasn't liked I lived eight thousand miles away, I was just staying there for a little while, and I'd be pretty close to the girl when I got back. So we could make plans to meet on a semi-regular basis, which would disqualify it from being classified as an "internet relationship".

In the future, please be smart enough not to make a post with the sole intent of...whatever the hell that was supposed to do.

Scottie
09-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Online relationships...what are those?

Meat Puppet
09-13-2005, 06:43 PM
I read someword like Psy and Misfit lasted a minute or something.

Could be wrong.

It doesn't matter because they say Psy is with me now. :kiss:

EDIT: Wait, am I gay or am I a girl? :confused:

CaZ!
09-13-2005, 06:46 PM
In my oponion i don't think Eoff is cursed i just think that internet relationships can't work very well because you can't hear each other speak and stuff like that and i just don't think its the same

Psychotic
09-13-2005, 06:46 PM

Could be wrong.

EDIT: Wait, am I gay or am I a girl? :confused:17 minutes actually. It was the happiest time of my life. :cry: (goddamned skank wasn't supposed to say yes)

And you're both, dear. :lovers:

Rye
09-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Online Relationships only work if both people are commited and love each other to wait to see each other. The advantage though is you know that the person doesn't only like you just for your jugs or whatever, in most cases. That's my two cents, anyways. :p They CAN work, but it's not common.

Lindy
09-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Xander and I worked, and is working, but then we met each other within a week of saying "lol ur pixels r hot", and kept it to talking on the phone from then on along with usually seeing each other at least once a month.

So, not exactly an online relationship, even from it's inception.

Rye
09-13-2005, 07:49 PM
"lol ur pixels r hot"

xD

Yeah, I would hardly even call you guys a long distance couple let alone an online couple, because you two don't too far from each other, which is good. :)

Nod
09-13-2005, 07:55 PM

Could be wrong.

EDIT: Wait, am I gay or am I a girl? :confused:

Hang about, Psy is with you? Well, Im totally crushed now. :mad:

EoFF doesn't curse relationships.

MecaKane
09-13-2005, 08:11 PM
50% of marriage couples get devorced, the only way <i>any</i> relationship has "worked" is if one of you is dead, and not of a suicide or killed by the other one. :love:

Kamiko
09-13-2005, 08:57 PM
EoFF has a romance virus?!?!
Umm... actually Long Distance stuff just doesn't work.
They are LD.
"Like, dumb!"
Well not really.
But it gets rather boring after a while, never seeing the person.
I've dated other girls long distance before though, because the pressure to be physical isn't so evident/

Jojee
09-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Well, about a year ago, Jojo came up to me on MSN and said "Erik -censored-, and after that, I want you to -censored- all night long. Will you please be my online boyfriend?". I agreed because I felt bad. :( We had our fun, but it just wasn't meant to be. :( Oh shu'up, you know those were the best times of your life :p

It's not EoFF; it's you guys(no offense). ^_^

My online relationship lasted 2 years, four months. I beat Bawb. xD *poses*

Loony BoB
09-13-2005, 09:07 PM
I've always wondered how online relationships work when the people get together.

I mean, how do they get used to such primitive forms of communication as touch and speech?

Do they spend the first few months in different rooms talking to each other on computers, or just leave notes around for each other?

It wasn't like that with any girlfriends, but that's totally how it is with Tiff.

Zeldy
09-13-2005, 09:13 PM
I never knew about Kitty either, ZuZu o:

I have been out with somebody over the internet, it only lasted a couple of days.. i felt stupid. I was only 11!
I am for it, mind. A relationship isnt all about physical, personality means alot to me.

Dignified Pauper
09-13-2005, 09:51 PM

It wasn't like that with any girlfriends, but that's totally how it is with Tiff.

I knew there was something fishy going on there.

Endless
09-13-2005, 09:51 PM
My online relationship lasted 2 years, four months. I beat Bawb. xD *poses*

Psh, I still win.
And for those who wonder, yes, sometimes, my wife and I IM each other. We're in a studio, one room, 20 mē. IMs. Yes.

Social Moon Firesky
09-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Social Moon Firesky and Bardock- not sure, no more than 5

Ours lasted about two weeks, but we kept it on the hush for a while first.

Raven Nox
09-15-2005, 03:59 AM
Well, I don't wanna think that my relationship with Apollo will never work. >.< I'd really like to meet him someday, though, that'll be awhile. I can wait, doesn't bug me.

Yep
"o baby your text is sooo hawt,ya baby so is urZ"
*whistle*

Not everyone does this online. Not anyone I know anyway. XD

Meat Puppet
09-15-2005, 04:59 AM
It's like the matrix.

Del Murder
09-15-2005, 05:45 AM
All relationships end at some point.

Yamaneko
09-15-2005, 05:53 AM
And some never begin.

Calliope
09-16-2005, 04:28 AM
Leeza :love:

Admittedly, Joe has been very distant for the last seven months.