PDA

View Full Version : When music becomes true art ...

Crushed Hope
09-12-2005, 10:06 PM
I have been recently been listening to alot of classically influenced music, and dear god. I have been missing out on so much.

I really don't care for classical music in and of itself, but music that has classical influences in it, are god damned amazing.

I recently picked up a copy of Green Carnation - Light of Day; Day of Darkness, and I can honestly say, Tchort is the single greatest composer of out time.

The album is such a great display of how music doesn't have to have that catchy hook to it, and is so damned artistic it has a baby crying at the beginging and end.

So yeah ... which albums do you feel transend the daily demands of "music" and become true art?

Vyk
09-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Its hard to concentrate on what you said what with me being in so much awe from your signature. Awesome. Anyway... I have to ask, since I've never heard of what you speak, is this all instrumental. It sounds fascinating. And if so, I used to be a Celtic music addict. I could mention works from Enya or Loreenna McKennitt which are above the usual par. But there's lesser known artists, one album springs to mind called Celtic Nights by two girls named Enaid and Einalem who just use the Celtic influence and make wonderful use of ambient sounds of nature and such, which I assume is much like the baby crying in what you're talking about. People going outside the norm can find great uses for ambience. In fact I'm a huge fan of the Ambient genre as a whole. Great stuff to fall asleep to.

Madame Adequate
09-13-2005, 01:39 AM
For me, Brian Eno is the master of ambient kinds of things. Not at all classical, of course, but he does what he does more than a little masterfully.

Slothy
09-13-2005, 01:45 AM
So yeah ... which albums do you feel transend the daily demands of "music" and become true art?

Being a rock fan, I'd say off the top of my head some albums that do it for me are Lateralus by Tool, Francis the Mute by The Mars Volta, and a bunch of others I can't really think of right now since my memory sucks. But those two certainly transcend to a musical level beyond a lot of the crap the music industry tries to pawn off on us these days. Being a drummer I almost have to mention Terry Bozzio's solo drum stuff. It'd be a safe bet the vast majority of you wouldn't be familiar with his work, but he takes drumming way beyond the rythmic and percussive aspect of it and into the melodic. The guy is an orchestra of a drummer and pushes the boundries like few ever have the ability or the chance to.

jrgen
09-13-2005, 01:37 PM
I really like classical music, but I've found some of the most amazing compositions in music of our time(and not contemporary classical music). I think a lot of classical music gets classified as genious just for being classical music.

tailz
09-13-2005, 03:48 PM

the album once from nightwish its perfect balance with orchestra and metal its even better as symphonia and metallica

DK
09-13-2005, 06:08 PM
I don't see why this should be labelled in such a way. As far as i'm concerned, art is something that connects with you, taps into your soul and just clicks. I don't see why "art" should be defined and then applied to certain things and not others. The most simple thing could be the thing that brings a person the most joy. Also, a lot of musicians music is an expression of themselves, they're laying their being down on paper and projecting it to the world through their music. In that sense, all music is art of some form. Except manufactured crap which is made for nothing but money. That's just my opinion, though.

And the Band that have affected me most are The Mad Capsule Markets. Not for the reasons previously stated. They just have songs that literally fill me with joy just to hear them, and also songs that, well, I can't explain it. I just love them. Yeah.

valentine
09-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Check out Malice Mizer and Sopor Aeternus

jrgen
09-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Sopor Aeternus is pretty interesting music.

Nod
09-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Ulrich Schnauss. Awesome landscape music.

Crushed Hope
09-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Anyway... I have to ask, since I've never heard of what you speak, is this all instrumental.

No, Green Carnation - LoD;DoD is not instrumental, and I must say that I would not be as impressed with it as I am, had it been.

I mean, not to say I dislike instrumentals, because I love them, but the vocals add so much more depth to the song.

Being a drummer I almost have to mention Terry Bozzio's solo drum stuff. It'd be a safe bet the vast majority of you wouldn't be familiar with his work, but he takes drumming way beyond the rythmic and percussive aspect of it and into the melodic. The guy is an orchestra of a drummer and pushes the boundries like few ever have the ability or the chance to.

Bozzio is probably one of the greatest drummers of all time. I love how he can convey such strong emotions into his drum work. It amazes me to no end.

For me, Brian Eno is the master of ambient kinds of things. Not at all classical, of course, but he does what he does more than a little masterfully.

Brian Eno is an amazing composer in the ambient music field. Amazing.

Craig
09-13-2005, 08:28 PM
american idiot by greenday lol billy joe is da best lolz so hot :love: :love:

Crushed Hope
09-13-2005, 08:34 PM
american idiot by greenday lol billy joe is da best lolz so hot :love: :love:
Please tell me that your typing is a joke. I mean I don't mind that you would think that song is art but ... your typing kills.

Chris
09-13-2005, 08:37 PM
The passion comes flyin' in from the Jamaican shores. Joined together with the erotically challenged enigma; blue, black. Lacerations echo in the mouth's open, erotic sky where dance together the lost frenzies of rhythm and an imploring immobility. Ladies and Gentlemen: Miss Grace Jones.

:love: