PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Q.

cookieface
09-14-2005, 06:37 AM
We all know Chrono Trigger deals with time travel, so the "chrono" name makes sense. C. Cross, is dimensional travel, right? So what gives... Makes no sense for it to be named "chrono". I think that's the root of why it wasn't as good.

Masamuneˇ1600
09-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Actually, Chrono Cross is a very appropriate title. Considering the nature of the word "cross," one can interpret the title as referring to crossing between and among Timelines. This doesn't just have to refer to Home World and Another World, though; it can also reference the Time Crash, in which Chronopolis (circa 2400 AD) was thrown back in time 10,000 years, while simultaneously introducing Dinopolis from the Reptite Timeline into the Human Timeline.

Of course, there's also a much simpler reason. A major plot element was the idea of the Chrono Cross, which could be used against the Time Devourer in the Darkness Beyond Time to save Schala. It's necessary to use the Chrono Cross, as opposed to simply dealing damage to the Time Devourer, in order to see the real ending.

Finally, Chrono Cross is a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger. As such, it should hardly be surprising that there is a degree of similarity between the titles. Coupled with the fact that the Chrono Cross is (as suggested earlier) important to the story, it makes perfect sense for the game to bear its title.

Finally, I hope you realize that suggesting that CT is superior to CC, or vice versa, is merely a matter of opinion.

cookieface
09-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Yes of course it's a matter of opinion. But I have to say, the only reason you name which makes sense to me is the third. Not that anyone wouldn't know that already, but I'm just pointing it out. It just had to carry the name since it was the sequel.

But still it remains fact that "chrono" has no meaning other than related to time, not alternate universes. The title in the original had the charm of this relation, AND had the item that had to be used. CC only has the item thing. A step back as far as I can tell. Anyone agree?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Nahh.

ehsteve
09-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Nope.

cookieface
09-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Boy am I glad I sought out eloquent rebuttals. (that was close)

GooeyToast
09-16-2005, 03:49 AM
There's nothing to rebuttal against that isn't common knowledge.

cookieface
09-17-2005, 07:40 AM
There's nothing to rebuttal against that isn't common knowledge.

At least you agree with me :p

DelightfulSpekkio442
09-28-2005, 05:19 AM
I'm wondering if maybe you don't understand the whole part of the plot that revolves around timelines.

Which is like, all of the plot.

The whole "action starts here" point of the game is when Serge travels from Home World to Another World for the first time, much like in Chrono Trigger when Marle gets thrown back in time and Crono and Lucca go to rescue her.

Pay attention to what happens to both heroes. It's a real surprise to Crono to walk around this place that looks just like Guardia, but everyone he talks to is like, "Dude, fo' shizzle it's the year 600 A-to-tha-D." Serge finds out he's dead. That's kinda freaky.

SPOILERS!

Now correct me if I'm wrong, cause the plot is a little hard to grasp fully, but what happened was that when Serge was seven years old (in 1010 AD) he was at Opassa Beach when a tidal wave came. Schala (from Chrono Trigger), who was merged with Lavos and stuck in the Darkness Beyond Time, reached through time by sending a clone of herself (Kid) to save Serge's life. Now, how she did this was by having Kid be "born" into the world about the same time as Serge (roughly 1003 AD), and then having her travel back in time from 1020 AD (when she was 16) to save Serge's life. Remember the FMV flashback that Serge has where he sees Kid standing at Opassa Beach, looking out over the water, and then she turns, smiles at him and seems to be drying his face (can also be seen in the opening sequence - the part where the drums and wind instruments stop and just the strings play)? My theory is, that's Serge remembering Kid saving him. Now the interesting part is that Serge can't exist in Another World yet, because in order to make it possible for Kid to save him in the past, he has to save her life in the future - something which happens over the course of the game (and once again correct me if I'm wrong - it takes place in Home World!). It's like a time loop - something has to happen in the future to make sure that someone can then go back into the past and make sure that the thing that happens in the future can happen.

Confusing enough for ya?

Sephex
09-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Boy am I glad I sought out eloquent rebuttals. (that was close)

The reason no one is bothering to write some 800 paragraph long responce is becuase this discussion has been done to death.