PDA

View Full Version : The Car Thread

fire_of_avalon
09-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Now I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I'm some badass grease monkette who can tell you any and everything you want to know about cars, because I'm a long way away from that. I just like cars. To be specific, I like the American Muscle cars of the 1960's-70's. Those are my favorite anyway. While my absolute favorite car depends on the time of day, it's usually between one of the following: 1967 Shelby Mustang GT 500 (the fastback body type is actually the basis for the 2005 "retro" Mustang), 1968 Pontiac Firebird, 1970 Mustang Mach I, and 1979 Camaro. Right now it's the Firebird, mostly because it's kind of always been the underdog of the American Muscle car. In other words, none of my cartalk friends like it but me. xD

So, do you like cars? Do you prefer classic to modern cars? Do you prefer foreign to domestic cars (being specific to your current home country)? Do you think this is all a waste of good thread space? What's your all time favorite car, or what's on the list? What do you drive right now? How does that compare to your dream car? etc. etc. just talk about cars. :D

DK
09-14-2005, 05:13 PM
I like old American muscle cars, don't get me wrong, they're fast and they look nice. The only problem with American cars is that you people don't know what corners are, and the handling is always filth. Of course I learned most everything I know about cars from Top Gear, so i'm bound to be biased. B)

Anyway, looks wise, I prefer older cars, I guess. I don't like the look of many sports cars, being 6'4", I could barely get my legs into most of them. The Nissan Skyline is probably my favourite modern car, along with the Aston Martin DB7/8/9s. I like the ford GT40 as well. The old Mercedes 300SL, "Gullwing", is also nice.

Hawkeye
09-14-2005, 05:14 PM
http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/news_images/4417_11667_8.jpg My future car

Jess
09-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I like cars, but I don't know LOADS about them.
I like more modern cars, rather than the older ones. My dream car would be the car off iRobot :<3:, but seeing as thats not possible I'd love to get the new Golf GTI.
I can't drive yet :( but the cars in my immediate family are, the renault megane sport, Golf VR6 Highline and a toyota celica 2.0.

Hawkeye
09-14-2005, 05:20 PM
To be fairly honest, the only thing I know about cars is how to mantain them. Thats the only knowledge I have about cars, but I dont know all that technical stuff. Makes people look like greasers (NO not the deogratory term)

Old Manus
09-14-2005, 05:20 PM
I like RALLY CARS

silverpigeon97
09-14-2005, 05:31 PM
lamboghini diablo, best car ever made.

Meat Puppet
09-14-2005, 05:58 PM
I had a very old ford laser but it got stolen.
I chose a ford laser because I thought it wouldn't get stolen.

theundeadhero
09-14-2005, 06:09 PM
I drive a monster truck :)

It's a 79' Ford F150. I bought it when I was 16 and since then I've put 35" groundhog tires on it, switched out the body for a nice one, had the transmission rebuilt, gave it a new fuel tank, lifted the body another 3 " for a total of I can't even remember how many inches lifted, and rebuilt a 351 modified engine that currently has less than 2000 miles on it. I've done plenty of little stuff too, but it's not really worth mentioning.

Rye
09-14-2005, 07:39 PM
I like cars more than most girls do, but I'm not crazy about them. I tend to like the newer cars more because I love small cars. :)

crazybayman
09-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Modern. Imported. Rice-Burners. Love 'em.

I really love the Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, and Mitsubishi 3000GT, neither of which they make anymore. And yes, I agree with Kyono that Nissan Skylines are awesome, definitely one of my favorites as well. Too bad they don't mass-produce them here. And Subaru STI (Impreza WRX) *drool*...........

As well, BMWs and the Audi Quattro TT are nice. Pricey though.

Then there's Ferrai, Lambourghini, Porche.......amazing, fast exotic cars. Too bad they're priced only for the rich and famous.

While American Muscle cars are nice, like the old Dodge Charger (General Lee, not sure what year it is though), the old Stingrays and Shelbys. They're incredibally powerful, however they don't handle for $hit, and are complete gas guzzlers.

Right now I drive a Hyundai Tiburon - here in Canada they're not as cheap as in the US, and I wanted a sports-coupe, to change it up from the MAzda B4000 4X4 truck I had prior. Even the Toyota Celica and Mitsubishi Eclipse are a little expensive, and didn't fit my budget, and the Tiburon's warranty kicks a$$. I couldn've affored a celica or eclipse, or Subaru WRX, (they actually run over $30K up here) or something nicer, but that would have meant blowing too much of my salary on a car, and hey, ya gotta be able to afford food and shelter :p .

I like the Tiburon, she handles great, however I wish she had more power. As well a Hyundai's lifespan is probably not as great as a Honda's or Toyota's, so I'll get something different when I'm finished paying the damn thing off.

Necronopticous
09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
I like concept cars.

Strider
09-14-2005, 08:02 PM
I've always wanted to own a Ford Mustang. One day, I will. :D

Drift
09-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo series, Evo 7 is my personal favourite

Xander
09-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Old VW beetle, end. Only car I'm interested in at all really, and I love them. I collect models and I have about 50 now. I drive a beetle and I have been since I passed my test about 2 and a half years ago.. if I ever get a new car it'll just be another old beetle, but I'd love a blue one. One day I'd also REALLY like a campervan because that is the only other vehicle I love. :) People seem to either love or hate beetles, but I get people telling me how cute it is, and I have even managed to change some people's mind about it ^_^

Plus I love how with beetles, when you see other beetle owners we always wave at each other, and the same with campervans. It's a nice friendly cute car community which is nice to be a part of!

boris no no
09-14-2005, 09:46 PM
i would like to like cars
but i will never be able to afford one ;_____;
so i don;t think abotu them
i'll just like one that got me from a to b really :D

fire_of_avalon
09-15-2005, 02:33 AM
Right now I drive a Chevy Cavalier. Yeah, it's pretty much the farthest thing from a dream car, but it's still a pretty fun little thing.

And undeadhero, I want pictures when you get the chance :D?

Rusty
09-15-2005, 02:34 AM
I love cars. I prefer most of the modern cars, I love Holdens so you could say I like the domestic cars more. My all time favourite car is the Holden Clubsport. I don't drive anything right now - so it doesn't really compare at all. But I would so love to have a Clubsport one day.

I go to watch the V8 Supercars whenever they are in town - so my love for Holdens is fueled even more - that's why I hate Fords. I love the V8 Supercars.

www.hsv.com.au - you can go to see the Clubsport there.

rubah
09-15-2005, 03:31 AM
I enjoy pampering my car. Waxing it and hosing it down and vacuuming it to phonograph music out the house windows.

The inside windshield is inexcusably dirty right now, but until Daylight Savings ends, I'll be good.

escobert
09-15-2005, 05:14 AM
I'm buying a 93 SAAB 9000 aero this weekend. 225 hp, 5 speed, turbo and I <3 SAABs, <3<3<3

Del Murder
09-15-2005, 05:26 AM
I drive a 97 Mercury Sable and her name is Dharma. She's good except for the fact that there is no rear winshield wiper and that gets annoying this time of year.

eestlinc
09-15-2005, 05:34 AM
95 Toyota Corolla 4 door baby. I miss my old Acura Integra though. I guess my dream car is a Porsche.

Tama2
09-15-2005, 05:53 AM
I like my cars small and powerful. Just like my little '82 B210 Datsun. It still can do burnouts, fishtails, and brodies like a pro. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: I love it soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......................

Raistlin
09-15-2005, 06:00 AM
My dream car's a BMW 330i. Mostly because my aunt bought one a year or so ago, and DAMN, that's a nice car.

I drive a '95 Lexus ES300. I am definitely spoiled by how my car drives. My car was in the shop with something that wasn't a big deal a good while ago, but getting to it involved taking most of the engine out (something to do with the oil, I believe), and I had to drive around a '99 Honda Civic for a while and I hated it. Handling and acceleration = <3. That and the damn A/C didn't work right in the Civic and it was summer and it sucked.

I like cars, but I don't know much about them. My mom's the head accountant for a guy who owns a used car chain, so most of my knowledge comes from talking to salesmen and shop workers. I did help sand and paint my own car, though, which is more than most people can say.

Leeza
09-15-2005, 06:33 AM
I guess you and I like a lot of the same stuff, foa. I love the Muscle Cars, especially the Mustangs, but I prefer the '69 Camaro over the '79. :)

So, do you like cars? Yes. :)
Do you prefer classic to modern cars? Classic, except I would love to have a 2005 Mustang.
Do you prefer foreign to domestic cars (being specific to your current home country)? Domestic. Meaning American.
Do you think this is all a waste of good thread space? No.
What's your all time favorite car, or what's on the list? Mustang. Preferably the '65 Fastback or '67 Shelby.
What do you drive right now? Chevy Cavalier and an Eagle Summit.
How does that compare to your dream car? The Cavalier is a good car, but it doesn't compare in the least. :(

DMKA
09-15-2005, 07:13 AM
I hate cars. With a passion. I love high gas prices.

mike without a hat
09-16-2005, 03:08 AM
You cant tell me this car isnt the sexyest slab of pure engineering genious youve ever seen.
1975 Citicar pwns you!

fire_of_avalon
09-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Leeza, you are the best ever. :love: