PDA

View Full Version : Revolution Controller (and more details about the Rev with video demo)

Sephex
09-16-2005, 10:06 AM
EDIT: Yes, I know that this info is in the sticky thread. However, that thread has been around for months, and I think some people wouldn't think to check it. If a mod/admin thinks this thread is unessesary, just delete it.

Are you ready?

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651275/hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054852879-000.jpg

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651275/hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054930644.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651275/hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054945878.jpg

The entire industry has been clamoring for a taste of Nintendo's so-called next-generation 'revolution.' So have we. Every time Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has opened his mouth, he underscored time and time again Nintendo would not be following the traditional path of a new console. Rumors have persisted for weeks about touch screens, gyroscope functions, virtual headsets, and everything else under the sun.
Nintendo always emphasized they weren't following Sony and Microsoft, and boy, they weren't kidding. Nintendo decided Tokyo Game Show (an event the company typically forgoes in favor of Space World) was the right time to sit down with select members of the press and unveil their vision of gaming's future. And guess what? We were there.

We've seen the Revolution, touched and played with its radically different take on the game controller, talked with visionary designer Shigeru Miyamoto about the reasoning behind Nintendo's new approach and we're back with our lengthy, hands-on impressions.

Has Nintendo struck gold again? Read on and find out.

The Revolution Controller Basics: What The Hell Is It?
The controller for Nintendo's upcoming Revolution home console system is a cordless remote-control-like device designed to be used with only one hand. Two small sensors placed near the TV and a chip inside the controller track its position and orientation, allowing the player to manipulate the action on screen by physically moving the controller itself. For example, you could slash an in-game sword by actually swinging the controller from side to side, turn a race car just by twisting your wrist, or aim your gun in a shooter by pointing the controller where you want to fire.

An expansion port on the bottom of the unit allows for add-on hardware to compliment this "remote controller" (our word for it, not Nintendo's), like a second controller piece Nintendo demonstrated that comes equipped with an analog stick and two trigger buttons (currently labeled Z1 and Z2, for those of you keeping track). When the two controller pieces are attached, the so-called 'Nunchaku' configuration (the two bits are connected by a short cord) can work similarly to current controllers, just with the second analog stick replaced by actual movement of the Revolution controller. Nintendo also mentioned that the controller stick could be slipped inside other, more conventional controller shells, dance mats, bongos, or other peripherals.

A large "A" button sits in the prime spot under your thumb on the face of the controller, with a "B" trigger on the back of the unit for your index finger. Otherwise the button configuration is an interesting mix of old and new: standard D-pad up top, near the power button (to turn the Revolution console on and off), Start and Select in the middle, on either side of the intriguing "Home" button (Nintendo wouldn't go into detail, but sounds like it has to do with navigating system menus, which will be important given the Revolution's promised WiFi connectivity), and two more buttons near the bottom labeled "a" and "b." These last two may seem uncomfortably low for your thumb until you turn the controller 90 degrees and it becomes just like an old 8-bit NES joypad, with the D-pad under your left thumb and "a" and "b" under your right. (Don't forget-Nintendo has promised downloadable versions of their classic games for the Revolution's "Virtual Console.") Nintendo mentioned the button names and their exact sizes could still change slightly before production, but what you see here is close to the final design.

Elsewhere on the controller, the four lights at the very bottom represent which player it belongs to, and that hatch on the back is the battery compartment. (The prototype Revolution controllers we saw used regular batteries just like the GameCube's WaveBird wireless controller-and last a similar amount of time, according to Nintendo-but reps wouldn't say for certain if the final unit would use batteries or some rechargeable option.) The effective maximum range for the wireless controller is expected to be somewhere between 10 and 15 feet. A variety of different colored controllers were on display, including red, lime green, white, gray, black, and silver. Finally, rumble functionality is built in to the controller.

The Revolution Controller Demos: How It Works.
Alright, so enough about sticks and buttons and lights-how does this crazy new controller actually work with games? To answer that question, Nintendo's legendary game creator Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, you name it) walked specially selected members of the press through a series of hands-on technology demos. These were not real Revolution games (all the names for the demos are ours)-they were super-simple, graphically crude offerings designed solely to show off different aspects of how the controller can work. Here's a rundown of what we saw, along with our thoughts on each:

DEMO: BLOCK BUSTER
A firing-range-like contest where two players compete to see who can shoot randomly appearing squares first. Aiming is done by pointing the controller itself at different points on screen, pulling the B trigger to fire.
IMPRESSIONS: A great demonstration of how intuitive the controller can be-pointing it to aim felt perfectly natural, right from the very first second, just like with a light gun. It always shot exactly where it felt like I was aiming, and was incredibly responsive to even slight wrist movements-I barely had to move my hand at all.

DEMO: GONE FISHIN'
Grab a pole and lower it into a 3D pond full of fish. Keep the line steady and when you feel a nibble from the rumble of the controller, pull it up quick!
IMPRESSIONS: An interesting showcase of the controller's 3D movement detection-you position the fishing pole above the pond by moving the controller forward or back, left or right in actual space, then lowered the hook by lowering the controller. It was a bit difficult to keep it steady in the water, but flipping the controller up when you got a bite, mimicking the motion of pulling up a fish in reel life, was a little thrill that just felt right.

DEMO: IRRITATING STICKS
Two players guide rotating sticks through a side-scrolling maze of tunnels and moving obstacles, gathering coins and avoiding touching the walls. (A lot like the PS1 game Irritating Stick, and exactly like the import-only GBA game Kuru Kuru Kururin.)
IMPRESSIONS: Another demo that needed no explanation, you just "got" it immediately-move the controller in whatever direction you want the stick to go. As a 2D game that requires exact movement (the caves get really narrow in parts), this one reinforced how precise and steady the controller's movement detection can be. Another interesting tidbit-if your controller fell outside the detection "box," the demo had an arrow pointing off the edge of the screen in that direction so you could get it back in the correct space.

DEMO: AIR HOCKEY
Exactly what it sounds like: Two players each control a flat stick on either side of a rink by moving around their controller, pushing a puck back and forth, trying to keep it out of the goal on their side.
IMPRESSIONS: A bit sloppy and more sluggish than the other demos, this one was supposed to show how you could put "english" on the puck by twisting the controller but in practice it didn't work as well as in other demos (and I'm not saying that just 'cause I kept scoring on my own goal...wait...OK, actually it is partially because of that.).

DEMO: BASKETBOWL
Two players drag or push a ball to their opponent's basket by making the ground under their controller-maneuvered cursor dip (by holding "B") or rise (by pressing "A").
IMPRESSIONS: This was oddly fun-you could try to move the ball by either making a hill next to it and pushing it along, or making an indentation for it to fall into, then using it to drag it across the court. When you got close to the basket, turning an indentation under the ball into a hill suddenly would fling it up into the air.

DEMO: WHERE'S WALDOASAUR
A simple demonstration of depth perception-the player searches for a particular pokemon on a giant map filled with the creatures (ala Where's Waldo), zooming in by pushing the controller towards the screen and zooming out by pulling away from it.
IMPRESSIONS: Nothing much to say here except that, as a Nintendo rep commented, you can see how this might be put to use for aiming a sniper rifle in a first-person shooter.

DEMO: PILOT WANGS
Manipulate a biplane through the air, trying to fly through rings scattered around the Isle Delfino hub world of Super Mario Sunshine.
IMPRESSIONS: This was about all the different ways the Revolution can detect tilting the controller. It was as if the controller was the airplane itself - as long as your movements weren't too sudden, the on-screen action would mimic your movements with very little lag time. After about a minute I was pulling dramatic dives and loop-de-loops, bullseye-ing plenty of rings.

DEMO: METROID PRIME-TIME
Nintendo saved the best for last. This was the first section of the GameCube game Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, retrofitted to be compatible with the Revolution controller and its analog add-on piece (the "Nunchaku" set-up mentioned earlier). As on the Cube the analog stick controls movement, but instead of holding down a button to look around, you simply point the other controller in the direction you want to aim.
IMPRESSIONS: At first, I was standing up and swinging my hand all around to aim - and my arms got really tired really quick. But once I sat down and relaxed, resting my hands on my legs as I would with a normal controller, everything clicked. It wasn't perfect yet - the Revolution controller functionality had just been added recently and wasn't bug tested or polished, so every so often the view would "spaz out" for a couple seconds - but it was enough to get me excited. As odd as it may look holding the two separate controller pieces, one in each hand, looking around felt incredibly natural, even more than my preferred PC-style keyboard-and-mouse setup. I have to wonder about precision and speed in multiplayer games, but for a more deliberate single-player game like Metroid Prime - and the series is already confirmed for an appearance on the Revolution - this setup already has huge potential.

The Revolution Controller Design Philosophy
So why has Nintendo decided to brazenly break with tradition and the conventions of every other modern console in creating the Revolution controller? According to Mr. Miyamoto, it was part of a conscious decision to make something simple and straightforward enough to reach out to a new audience. "We want a system that takes advantage of new technology for something that anyone, regardless of age or gender, can pick up and play. [Something with a] gameplay style that people who have never played games can pick up and not be intimidated by. We wanted a controller that somebody's mother will look at and not be afraid of."

Of course, Nintendo has no intention of leaving their traditional audience behind, and Mr. Miyamoto is quick to add that the controller is already well suited for a number of popular genres. "[We aimed for something] that is simple enough for everyone," he says, "but also something that people who've been playing games for years will be satisfied with."

LINK: http://gamecube.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

VIDEO: http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html

Endless
09-16-2005, 10:14 AM
A much better quality video is at IGN: http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/dl_1249126.html

Rye
09-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Wow, I really don't like the controller, but the console looks nice. :)

SomethingBig
09-16-2005, 11:49 AM
*Multiple orgasms*

BRING ON THE "RAR IT SUX KOS IT GEY ND FAG!" COMMENTS!

ljkkjlcm9
09-16-2005, 11:54 AM
I had my doubts at first too, but the more you think about it, this could be really amazing!

THE JACKEL

Slothy
09-16-2005, 01:44 PM
This will either be a brilliant innovation, or the worst idea in history. It's all going to come down to implementation. What boggles my mind is that they said the controller would have to work with older games because of their download feature. I'm not entirely sure how this will work with some and still provide controls similar to what gamers remember, while also being comfortable. I think we may see the GC controller picking up most of the older game duties.

Craig
09-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Nintendo aren't stupid. They wouldn't make what seems like such a dumb idea, unless they were sure it'd be Revolutionary.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 02:08 PM
I am a fan of nintendo but for me to get this there will still have to be more info and they will need a slew of killer apps. PS3 for me.

ljkkjlcm9
09-16-2005, 02:09 PM
This will either be a brilliant innovation, or the worst idea in history. It's all going to come down to implementation. What boggles my mind is that they said the controller would have to work with older games because of their download feature. I'm not entirely sure how this will work with some and still provide controls similar to what gamers remember, while also being comfortable. I think we may see the GC controller picking up most of the older game duties.

Well if you turn the controller it's identical to an NES controller, so no, the GC controller won't take up all the old games...

AND, all the third parties are excited about developing for this so I'm quite excited as well

THE JACKEL

Jebus
09-16-2005, 04:23 PM
It's interesting to say the least. I'm sure it'll be decent. I mean it IS Nintendo after all.

XxSephirothxX
09-16-2005, 04:33 PM
It's definitely unique. There's no doubt in my mind that they'll create some really interesting games with it. The only question in my mind is how well it will work with games like Super Smash Bros. It'll take some getting used to, definitely, but the possibilities are limitless.

Raistlin
09-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the new controller looks horrible and retarded?

Craig
09-16-2005, 04:40 PM
How it might work: Considering we already know that a Revolution version of Super Smash Bros. is currently under development, it goes without saying that the wizards at Nintendo have already given serious thought to the use of the controller in fighting games. Now imagine this: you've used the pointer to lock in your fighter selection, and you're controlling a classic Nintendo character in a vast 3D landscape using the attached analog stick. However, rather than reverting to the skilled-yet-panicked method of finely tuned button mashing, you're now making precision strikes to your opponents to thanks to pre-defined motions with the pointer.

Jab three times quickly to the right for a Kirby flurry of punches. Hold the pointer for two seconds to the right and then slam it left for a charged Smash slice from Link's trusty sword. While it may seem awkward to imagine, the possibilities for attacks are plenty, and each character would have its own predefined range of movements to master. Now toss in the buttons -- A for jumping, and B for grabbing items. The shoulder buttons above the analog stick could easily raise your shields and grapple your enemies. From there, how exactly you choose to punish them depends on the flick of your wrist. Given the physical, frantic, and furious nature of most fighting games, this is one genre that could be very satisfying to control with a little added motion. Just be careful not to get too carried away and smash your brand-new controller in the process.

Source (http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651224p2.html)

Destai
09-16-2005, 04:41 PM
No theres plenty of Xbox fanboi's who also could actually give a crap.

XxSephirothxX
09-16-2005, 04:48 PM
No, you'll meet plenty of other people in the world who aren't at all opened minded about this sort of thing.

Raistlin
09-16-2005, 04:53 PM
"Open-minded," in this case, seems to be another word for "Nintendo fanboy" or "afraid to have an opinion."

First off, the right-hand half is freakin' long. It looks like there's only two buttons that you will be able to push at the same time, without moving your hand (not including D-pad). How's that going to work? Two buttons are not enough buttons.

Craig
09-16-2005, 04:55 PM
In this case, it is.

Destai
09-16-2005, 05:00 PM
"Open-minded," in this case, seems to be another word for "Nintendo fanboy" or "afraid to have an opinion."

First off, the right-hand half is freakin' long. It looks like there's only two buttons that you will be able to push at the same time, without moving your hand (not including D-pad). How's that going to work? Two buttons are not enough buttons.
Considering you dont have to press any buttons at the very end of the remote and looking at its size it looks fine as far as size goes.

XxSephirothxX
09-16-2005, 05:19 PM

I don't have any problem with someone stating they're uneasy about it, as I have my own reservations in mind. But I think it's unique and opens up tons of possibilities, and it would be silly to simply dismiss it before Nintendo's had a real chance to show what it can do and how well it works.
If you look at another picture of it, you can see that the right half is only a bit longer than the width of your average person's hand. Now, it might make it hard to push those buttons at the bottom, but I don't think you'll need them in most circumstances. If you look at all of Nintendo's attempted innovations (E-Reader, Connectivity) they haven't all exactly worked perfectly, or been really useful. Who knows, maybe this will be the same way. But then again, maybe it won't. I'd like to see some real games (Again, like SSB) in action with this thing.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 05:23 PM
I think I have come to the conclusion that Nintendo completely smurfed up. Innovation? How about 3D visor? What about gyros for force feed back on analog stuff. While this idea seems okay they made the controller completley unfunctional. They have taken a big step backwards and it will make a lot of games harder to play.

On a funny side note, now Nintendo will get all the flak because people really will now have to aim a gun in FPS games. Nintendo taught me to murder people.

EDIT: It would be cool if the released a device to plug into the 'controller' so that you could kind of learn matrial arts and other stuff like that. Maybe a real fighting game of sorts. But that isn't really using this POS controller.

MecaKane
09-16-2005, 05:39 PM
You can't even use the d-pad and A at the same time.

Two buttons is really not enough.

Endless
09-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Just because Nintendo's official controller looks like a remote/remotechuks now doesn't mean that there won't be standard pads in the future. Also, if you take the example of an adventure game, you won't be needing many buttons if you can use it like a virtual sword. That said, most of the entertainment will come from watching people play.

Raistlin
09-16-2005, 05:42 PM
You can't even use the d-pad and A at the same time.

Two buttons is really not enough.
Exactly.

Just because Nintendo's official controller looks like a remote/remotechuks now doesn't mean that there won't be standard pads in the future.
But why would they even bother making this piece of crap, anyway?

Also, if you take the example of an adventure game, you won't be needing many buttons if you can use it like a virtual sword.
Yeah, if you want to go back to old-school Zelda GameBoy-style gaming. :p

Endless
09-16-2005, 05:46 PM
I said "use it like a virtual sword". As in, I slice the air horizontally to make Link slice the enemy in a simuilar fashion. Do a circle motion and Link uses his spiral slash. How is that "gameboy style"?
And they made it because they want to *gasp* innovate. You know, like the DS that everyone predicted would flop.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 05:55 PM
I don't think anyone predicted the DS would flop. People saw uses for the Touch screen and they saw uses for 2 screens. But on top of that it had 4 face buttons and the d pad so even if those didn't work out you could still have a normal game. That is the big difference.

XxSephirothxX
09-16-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty sure the Revolution supports up to four GameCube controllers also, so hopefully third-party companies will still release "normal" games for the system and make use of the GCN controller.

Destai
09-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Alright, to the whiny emos in the audience, Between both parts of the controller I can see as many buttons on the gamecube controller as the revolution one.

ughhis
09-16-2005, 06:02 PM
It looks nice.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 06:07 PM
I Count 4 buttons compared to 7 on the cube

A,B,Z1,Z2
A,B,X,Y,Z,L,R

I think a,b will be do the same as A,B even if they don't the point is mute as you would have to move your hand just to reach them. If you want to count the start button then add it to both controllers. Either way I see it as coming up short 4 buttons compared to the competition.

Destai
09-16-2005, 06:13 PM
I Count 4 buttons compared to 7 on the cube

A,B,Z1,Z2
A,B,X,Y,Z,L,R

I think a,b will be do the same as A,B even if they don't the point is mute as you would have to move your hand just to reach them. If you want to count the start button then add it to both controllers. Either way I see it as coming up short 4 buttons compared to the competition.Well I genuinely dont think the second a, b, will work as the same button, but even if it is wasnt having too many buttons what sucked about the n64? I've always seen simplicty portrayed as a good thing and this controller looks fun. Im also wondering wether moving the controller itself will have any effect from the use of it in the trailer.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 06:19 PM
The only thing that would acceptable is if they pack in the controller shell so that you can play other games also. Yes you can use the wave bird but I would like something more in line with the dimond of the SNES and mulitiple shoulder buttons. They said they have a shell to do this but it has not been shown yet. That is the saving grace in my mind.

I believe a,b do the same as A,B because it would be way to confusing other wise. It would be horrendous design in my mind. Its not like the buttons are drastically different in color or shape to make what they tell you to do on scree super intutitive. That is my reasoning behind a,b=A,B.

Psychotic
09-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I think the novelty of it all could wear off quick, just like the novelty of the EyeToy that was all the rage 18 or so months ago. "OMG IT WILL CHANGE THE FACE OF GAMING FOREVER!" the gaming media cried.

Gimmick or revolution? My money is on the former, but I'll wait and see.

Destai
09-16-2005, 06:23 PM
The only thing that would acceptable is if they pack in the controller shell so that you can play other games also. Yes you can use the wave bird but I would like something more in line with the dimond of the SNES and mulitiple shoulder buttons. They said they have a shell to do this but it has not been shown yet. That is the saving grace in my mind.

I believe a,b do the same as A,B because it would be way to confusing other wise. It would be horrendous design in my mind. Its not like the buttons are drastically different in color or shape to make what they tell you to do on scree super intutitive. That is my reasoning behind a,b=A,B.My playstation buttons have faded long ago but I know the controls to all of my games through use. Even with games I havent played before Once Im familiar with the controller it doesnt take long. Its not like I look at the controller as I play and I dont think any gamer does that if a keyboards not involved.

Old Manus
09-16-2005, 06:26 PM
You call that a controller

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I like the diamond face because it is more useful. I can hit Square and circle without hitting the others. Try doing the equivilent of X-B on the cube. You can't. B-Y isn't all the friendly to do either. I want in diamond for functional reasons.

ljkkjlcm9
09-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I like the diamond face because it is more useful. I can hit Square and circle without hitting the others. Try doing the equivilent of X-B on the cube. You can't. B-Y isn't all the friendly to do either. I want in diamond for functional reasons.what games did you ever have to hit B-X or B-Y?

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 06:32 PM
OH MY GOD! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?

*cries*

You didn't but then again they don't really have many fighting games which is where /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif like that comes into play. That and hard action games which the Cube also lacks.

I couldn't imagine playing street fighter or tekken on that system. It would just suck because the controller is not meant to be used in that way.

Destai
09-16-2005, 06:34 PM
OH MY GOD! WHAT THE smurf IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?

*cries*
*satisfied*

ljkkjlcm9
09-16-2005, 06:35 PM

*cries*

You didn't but then again they don't really have many fighting games which is where /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif like that comes into play. That and hard action games which the Cube also lacks.

I couldn't imagine playing street fighter or tekken on that system. It would just suck because the controller is not meant to be used in that way.
are you kidding, this could be the best fighting game system ever. Hold A to do punches as you swing the control, hold B to do kicks, hold both to do grabs.... people could use the same characters, and do completely different moves and create their own combos.

THE JACKEL

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 06:38 PM
*cries some more*

You obvious must be confused or are a total dip/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif.

We were talking about the Gamecube controller right?!?1? RIGHT?!?! So why the hell did you bring the revolution controller into this. I never said it couldn't be used to be a great fighting game thing.

*punches j00 in the face*

Destai
09-16-2005, 06:38 PM

*cries*

are you kidding, this could be the best fighting game system ever. Hold A to do punches as you swing the control, hold B to do kicks, hold both to do grabs.... people could use the same characters, and do completely different moves and create their own combos.

THE JACKALThat would kickass actually. I guess it really is easier to criticise than to come up with ideas.

ljkkjlcm9
09-16-2005, 06:42 PM
*cries some more*

You obvious must be confused or are a total dip/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif.

We were talking about the Gamecube controller right?!?1? RIGHT?!?! So why the hell did you bring the revolution controller into this. I never said it couldn't be used to be a great fighting game thing.

*punches j00 in the face*

we're talking about the GC, uh huh, well I still thnik Soul Calibur 2 played best on the GC, Y+B was a grab, and X+b was non existent, but B was guard, as were the shoulders, so you could use shoulder and Y and it worked, so yeah

THE JACKEL

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Last time I check Sould Calibur used 4 buttons while other fighting games that use more are not on the system. Like Tekken or Street fighter.

Also if it isn't in this thread it could be in the other one where I said it would be cool if they were to have made a matial arts trainer game. It isn't that hard to be creative.

Baseball, Swing the bat.
Football, Tape the controller to your foot and kick :D
Football, Throw the smurfing pass
FPS, DUH! Aim the controller
Racing, You could just hold it like a steering wheel but it isn't all that great...just like using a normal controller isn't all that great for a racer.
RTS could finally be done because it could act like a mouse on the screen.
Fighting games could be don as said or they could make device that plugs in that has 5 sensors it places on your ankels, wrists and head so then you really fight. THAT would be cool.

It isn't hard to come up with ideas but that still doesn't stop me from not really liking it.

Sephex
09-16-2005, 06:52 PM
It isn't hard to come up with ideas but that still doesn't stop me from not really liking it.

I am uneasy about it as well, but this is a wait and see thing. I'm sure that it will work out somehow. Plus, developers can still program games to use the Gamecube's controller, I think. And I'm sure most games will come with an option where you would be able to use the GC controller too.

Relax ed, and check out the MGS4 trailer.

ljkkjlcm9
09-16-2005, 06:58 PM
I really hope they don't make a lot of the games compatible with the old controller, they said they wanted veterans and new games to start on the same ground, so by doing that they wouldn't be on the same ground. Plus, I don't want people who don't appreciate the features using it, seems like a waste, this is going to be awesome, and I think a lot more people will see that when they actually get to use it

THE JACKEL

Zeldy
09-16-2005, 07:01 PM
My brother told me about this over dinner, i dont like it all. ITS A REMOTE!?

Raistlin
09-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Alright, to the whiny emos in the audience, Between both parts of the controller I can see as many buttons on the gamecube controller as the revolution one.
What are you smoking?

With the "Z" button, that makes three buttons that you can push at any given time without sliding your hand down that stick-thingy. Three buttons are still not enough buttons.

And I, for one, don't want my arms flailing about during play.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 07:03 PM
To be fair Raist there are 2 Z buttons that are Z1 and Z2 so that makes four compared to the now standard 8.

ljkkjlcm9
09-16-2005, 07:10 PM
how about we all just wait until we use it and see how it works?

Destai
09-16-2005, 07:10 PM
What are you smoking?

With the "Z" button, that makes three buttons that you can push at any given time without sliding your hand down that stick-thingy. Three buttons are still not enough buttons.

And I, for one, don't want my arms flailing about during play.Stick thingy? Sorry not specific enough, not following. Anyway I see the A,B and a,b and z button for revolution and for GC I see A,B x and y. All its missiong is shoulder buttons and thats easy to overcome in just about any console.

edit: and if they can pack all the same effects into a controller with less buttons then I personally consider it an improvement.

edczxcvbnm
09-16-2005, 07:16 PM
how about we all just wait until we use it and see how it works?

WORK SUCKS! This what I do when I work! :D

Destai
09-16-2005, 07:19 PM
what

edit: Oh right

Shoeberto
09-16-2005, 08:16 PM
I think the novelty of it all could wear off quick, just like the novelty of the EyeToy that was all the rage 18 or so months ago. "OMG IT WILL CHANGE THE FACE OF GAMING FOREVER!" the gaming media cried.
I'm getting the same vibe, and I'm a big fan of the big N. I just...man, it's just too out there. I was a little skeptical with the DS, and that's come out to be amazing, but this is just really, really out there. It's going to take me a bit to get into it.

Raistlin
09-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Anyway I see the A,B and a,b and z button for revolution

It's kind of tough to reach the a,b buttons when it's on the other end of the right-half of the controller (which is what I meant by "stick-thingy"), if not outright impossible. Hence, only the one A, B, and two Z buttons (where's the second one, btw?). I guess this means we're going back to the NES style of only four buttons, instead of the standard 8 buttons.

And the GC has more than 4 buttons. :p

Endless
09-16-2005, 09:50 PM
http://lopez.famille.free.fr/images/revtroller6.jpg

And the GB/GBA/GBA:SP/DS all have only 4 buttons, and zomg, it's enough (except for fighting games).

Destai
09-16-2005, 09:53 PM
http://lopez.famille.free.fr/images/revtroller6.jpg

And the GB/GBA/GBA:SP/DS all have only 4 buttons, and zomg, it's enough (except for fighting games).Boy that sure looks like fun even though I dont know what hes playing lol

Maxico
09-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Alright, I see three buttons that can be easily accessed in the position shown. That pretty much eliminates much of the games they said would be available for emulation on the revolution and most multi platform games without using a gamecube controller. That would mean that if the Revolution was succesful most buyers would have to buy an entire different set of controllers to play certain games.

and isn't the analouge stick supposed to be an optional extra?

Destai
09-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Alright, I see three buttons. That pretty much eliminates much of the games they said would be available for emulation on the revolution and most multi platform games without using a gamecube controller. That would mean that if the Revolution was succesful most buyers would have to buy an entire different set of controllers to play certain games.

Maxico
09-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Alright, I see three buttons that can be easily accessed in the position shown.

Endless
09-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Oh, it just hit me too, the d-pad on the remote-looking one can act as 4 (albeit not independant) buttons if needed. Two at the very least (up-down as one, left-right as the second, with diagonals as the combination of two). Could someone name a game where you have to press two C-buttons at the same time on the GC? Nevermind that, I'm mixing with the awful N64 controller xD

Edit: not to forget the same can be done using the 3D positioning feature of the remote-looking part (for three extra "virtual buttons").

Destai
09-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Alright, I see three buttons that can be easily accessed in the position shown.I think its smaller than youd imagine. Maybe I'm wrong. If it became a problem I dont have much doubt other options would become available.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-16-2005, 10:01 PM
And the GB/GBA/GBA:SP/DS all have only 4 buttons, and zomg, it's enough (except for fighting games).The DS has as many buttons as the SNES.

Endless
09-16-2005, 10:03 PM
I think I need some rest. Obviously, watching AC with the idiotsubs fried my brain.

Edit: at any rate, using both parts of the remote-chuk gives A + B + d-pad + "3 virtual buttons from remote movement" + stick + Z1 + Z2 = 7 buttons + d-pad + stick. Compared to the GC, you lost the ministick.

GooeyToast
09-16-2005, 10:04 PM
I was hoping for better.

Raistlin
09-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Alright, I see three buttons that can be easily accessed in the position shown.I think its smaller than youd imagine. Maybe I'm wrong. If it became a problem I dont have much doubt other options would become available.
No matter how small it is, there's no way you could easily hit the bottom a and b buttons while keeping your hand up by the D-pad.

And portable systems are made for portable games. Just because the GameBoy made it with four buttons doesn't mean a full console controller should be made that way. Fighting games, sports games, action games, and pretty much every game genre outside of RPG and RTS (where you pretty much just need an analog stick and accept/talk/open, menu, and cancel buttons) all need more than just 3-4 buttons.

"3 virtual buttons from remote movement"
...what? So now I have to wave the damn thing around to do something?
That could be somewhat cool for certain fighting games (as has already been suggested), but I don't want to have to do that for every game. And not using that takes out half the buttons right there.

omnitarian
09-16-2005, 10:09 PM
They should have waited a bit longer to release the controller. You look at that controller and think, "how the hell is that supposed to work?". If they had waited until they could show us a solid demonstration of (for example...) how this wacky l'il controller would work totally awesome with SSB Revolution or somesuch. Did Nintendo actually think this thing would make a good first impression? :-/

Raistlin
09-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Impressions don't matter. Nintendo knew it would be talked about a lot, and gain publicity. No one's going to say "there's no way I'm buying a Revolution now that I've seen the crappy official controller!"

Slothy
09-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Well if you turn the controller it's identical to an NES controller, so no, the GC controller won't take up all the old games...

Except that judging from it's shape, it doesn't look like it would be comfortable to hold sideways (not that the NES controller was either, but we've come a ways since then). I'm not saying that it won't be able to pull it off for all of the older games, but I honestly dread the thought of some SNES or N64 games on that controller. Especially games that pretty much require all the buttons to be in easy reach, or a Dpad. If you're using it sideways as you said for Dpad games, there just aren't enough buttons for it to work with a lot of SNES games. I do think we'll see either the GC controllers or other plug in peripherals for the controller to fit the bill (here's hoping for the former, I hate paying extra for peripherals after already shelling out a few hundred for the console).

I do have problems with the smaller buttons at the bottom of the main controller portion as well. If you're holding it the way it looks like it should be comfortably held (and the way all the pics show it being held) you can't reach them, or at least I can't see how you could comfortably. You may be right about the NES controller thing, but I've always hated buttons that can't be reached on a controller without some creative hand postioning. If you're going to put buttons on a controller, give us the ability to use them all at once, rather than only in certain games, in some situations. It's a waste of space, and poor controller design if you ask me, especially when you could easily fit more buttons where the big A button is.

Nintendo aren't stupid. They wouldn't make what seems like such a dumb idea, unless they were sure it'd be Revolutionary.

I'm sorry, not trying to be rude or anything, but I did almost laugh when I saw this. Nintendo has done a lot of things that were just plain stupid over the years. The entire left side of the N64 controller was pretty much useless (see my above feelings on controllers). They stuck with expensive cartridges, with severely limited space when everyone else was going with CD's. They also decided to use the GC discs which again had far less space than the current standard of using DVD's. They'll tell you that it's to prevent piracy which I can buy, or even that the limited space is to promote creativity from developers (one of their arguments for using cartridges with the DS). One thing developers will almost always agree on is that they like having more storage space. The more the better. I'll give Nintendo credit for trying to put a good spin on some of their weaknesses, but that's about all they do sometimes. I didn't even mention their online policy, but I think I've said enough already. Point is, they've made some pretty sketchy decisions in the past, and in some cases alienated third party developers in the process.

I'll give them credit that this controller looks to be about the most innovative hardware development to come from them or just about any company since the analog stick, but only time and developers are going to be able to tell if it will live up to it's potential.

Destai
09-16-2005, 10:14 PM
No matter how small it is, there's no way you could easily hit the bottom a and b buttons while keeping your hand up by the D-pad.

And portable systems are made for portable games. Just because the GameBoy made it with four buttons doesn't mean a full console controller should be made that way. Fighting games, sports games, action games, and pretty much every game genre outside of RPG and RTS (where you pretty much just need an analog stick and accept/talk/open, menu, and cancel buttons) all need more than just 3-4 buttons.I imagine most of the movement would be on the control on the RIGHT similar to how the gamecube worked. I dont think many gamecube games used the d-pad on the remote.

And if they can fit the feautres of a game with more buttons needed on a controller with less buttons then in my opinion that will make the controller more impressive.

Old Manus
09-16-2005, 10:22 PM
I can imagine the people looking stupid trying to change the channel with the controller

Maxico
09-16-2005, 10:24 PM
The more I look at it the more it just seems like a flashy lightgun.

Madame Adequate
09-16-2005, 10:39 PM
The more I look at it the more it just seems like a flashy lightgun.

The more I look at it the more it seems like it's been designed for lonely and unsatisfied housewives.

I hope Ninty can pull this off. Hope.

I expect the Revolution will bury their console department right next to the Dreamcast.

SomethingBig
09-16-2005, 10:50 PM
I'd take this new idea any day over the Playstation's 3 year old design.

What's the problem with having fewer buttons? The motion sensor covers much movement involved in games. Ex:
Zelda: Movement with analog stick, shield with B button(possibly aim the shield at different locations throw motion sensor), hack away by swinging your controller, D-Pad can be used for your on-hand inventory, A can bring up the menu.

Resident Evil: A can start the aiming process, moving can aim, B shoots.

Honestly, I'm starting to believe people are picking at Nintendo simply because they actually do new and unique things.

Endless
09-16-2005, 10:52 PM
I expect the Revolution will bury their console department right next to the Dreamcast.
Dingo Jellybean made the same remark about the DS by comparing it to the Gamegear (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=48864). Can I stress how much he was wrong?

Maxico
09-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Honestly, I'm starting to believe people are picking at Nintendo simply because they actually do new and unique things.

I can think of very little that Nintendo has done that's completly new and unique.

Analoug sticks were available for the Genisis/Mega Drive, Stylus's, touchpads and tablets have all been available for a while (I used a Wacom tablet with PC games long before the DS was announced), Light Guns have been around for ages.

Now the term "new and unique" would suggest that it has NEVER been done before but all I see is Nintendo taking existing ideas and giving them a bit of spit and polish.

SomethingBig
09-16-2005, 11:05 PM
"New and unique" as in having never been done in the video-game industry.

Endless
09-16-2005, 11:08 PM
I think this article (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/news_6133335.html)'s pretty interesting, given that unlike us, they actually tried the controller.

ughhis
09-16-2005, 11:34 PM
We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

It's something that's just as true for the DS - not every game uses the DS's unique features. But some multi-platform titles do, like The Sims 2 for example. We hope other developers will do the same and look at ways their multi-platform titles can make use of the Revolution's features.It looks nice.

DJZen
09-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Nintendo is now officially dead to me... :cry:

Raistlin
09-16-2005, 11:55 PM
This prompts a "what the hell?" on my part. Are you guys seriously saying that one controller could ruin a system? Are people retarded and completely forgetting that stupid people said the same damn thing about the X-Box? If people don't like the controller, they'll buy a 3rd party one.

You can't predict a system's impact (or lack thereof) until you see its games. And Nintendo will definitely have the Marios and the Zeldas, and so people will buy the system. That's how the GC survived, and I can't see anything different happening with the Revolution.

The form factor on display wasn't the absolute final design for the Revolution controller, and Nintendo reps noted that it is still a work in progress.
That's good to know, at least.

edczxcvbnm
09-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Same thing was said about Dreamcast with the Sonics and Resident Evil and such and such to Raist. A system can die if people don't like or want it.

On a much funnier note...PARADOX!

"Zelda: Movement with analog stick, shield with B button(possibly aim the shield at different locations throw motion sensor), hack away by swinging your controller"

Everything can be used for the motion sensor but in doing so you limit the over all movement you can do. IE: Use your shield but not sword or movement. Or run around...with no sword or shield. You can't have it all.

Shoeberto
09-17-2005, 01:20 AM
I don't remember seeing this posted yet.
http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/101

"We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the GameCube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

"So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

"It's something that's just as true for the DS - not every game uses the DS's unique features. But some multi-platform titles do, like The Sims 2 for example. We hope other developers will do the same and look at ways their multi-platform titles can make use of the Revolution's features."

Maxico
09-17-2005, 01:30 AM
"New and unique" as in having never been done in the video-game industry.

The Playstation and Playstation 2 have had both the G-Con .45 and the G-Con 2 lightguns. The latter of which had a D-pad on the back.

Now how exactly is what Nintendo is doing radicaly different to this?

ZeZipster
09-17-2005, 02:15 AM
Why can't they just make more PS2-ish controllers? Don't they listen to us? Aren't we the consumers? We said we hated the XBOX controller, the gamecube controller and now we're saying the same for the PS3, XBOX360 (strictly due to the fact that it looks like the old controller), and Revolution. I'm sorry. It really doesn't take a genius to realize that people don't want use boomerangs and T.V. Remotes as controllers.

F' you gaming industry.

Rengori
09-17-2005, 02:20 AM
That's just stupid. I just have to say, it looks like it would be hard to play games with this.

Agent Proto
09-17-2005, 03:18 AM
Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

Jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

It's something that's just as true for the DS - not every game uses the DS's unique features. But some multi-platform titles do, like The Sims 2 for example. We hope other developers will do the same and look at ways their multi-platform titles can make use of the Revolution's features.

Eurogamer: Is the freehand-style controller your trump card, or have we got more exciting stuff to look forward to?

Jim Merrick: Let's just say we have more surprises in store.

DJZen
09-17-2005, 03:35 AM
More suprises? Oh god.... No... Please let it end! Lord, why hast thou forsaken me?!

*commits sepukku*

Agent Proto
09-17-2005, 03:50 AM
I look forward to the surprises. Nintendo usually does a good job with their products, except for that one time with VirtualBoy.

Madame Adequate
09-17-2005, 04:10 AM
This prompts a "what the hell?" on my part. Are you guys seriously saying that one controller could ruin a system? Are people retarded and completely forgetting that stupid people said the same damn thing about the X-Box? If people don't like the controller, they'll buy a 3rd party one.

Ok, I wasn't exactly clear up there. I doubt a poor control interface system (If that is what it turns out to be.) which means most games will have to be specifically designed and remodelled if they are ports or whatever will kill the system. I also doubt that having a controller which, essentially, requires that you make an additional outlay in order to play who-knows-how-many games on the system will bury the system. People will do that, just as they'll get what they need if they buy a 'core' X360.

I do think it's likely to be a contributing factor, and a fairly significant one for those of us who aren't Zelda, Metroid, and Mario fanboys. On the other hand, it could do great things for fighting games, as has been suggested.

Also: The X-Box controller rocked like few things before it. It's about damn time there was actually a comfortable controller out there. Of course now I have a ton of trouble getting proper sized replacements.

Dingo Jellybean made the same remark about the DS by comparing it to the Gamegear. Can I stress how much he was wrong?

I can't argue with the sales figures. But I can say the GG kicked ass and I've yet to be impressed by anything the DS can do. I've been unimpressed by Nintendo's gimmicks before, and I suspect I will continue to do so in the future.

Now a dual analogue stick method with in-built rumble packs. That was an innovation which worked.

[Something with a] gameplay style that people who have never played games can pick up and not be intimidated by. We wanted a controller that somebody's mother will look at and not be afraid of."

This makes no sense. I have only ever in many years of gaming known the PC to be intimidating to people. Something that looks like a remote control and which so obviously breaks with the tradition of what people see gaming as, is that going to instil confidence? I mean, I dunno, maybe it will, but I find it more likely to speculate that people will think not even us hardcore gamers will know WTF is going on.

Sephex
09-17-2005, 04:12 AM
Whoa. Some of you are being way too cynical about this. I wonder how many opinions would be changed around here if an official Final Fantasy title was going to be released for it.

As I said before, I'm kind of worried about the controller. I swear I'm the only person that has a "wait and see" attitude. I think it's a bit to early to say that the controller is bad or good.

Madame Adequate
09-17-2005, 04:14 AM
Whoa. Some of you are being way too cynical about this. I wonder how many opinions would be changed around here if an official Final Fantasy title was going to be released for it.

As I said before, I'm kind of worried about the controller. I swear I'm the only person that has a "wait and see" attitude. I think it's a bit to early to say that the controller is bad or good.

If an RPG was announced it wouldn't really matter, because that and strategy games are the only conventional genres which can probably get away with such an awkward design. But if it was an FF, sure, that'd pull the sales in. Doesn't make the console good or bad, though.

DJZen
09-17-2005, 04:14 AM
They had a hope with the DS. At least you can see right off the bat how the new features are fun, but it's still a very familiar design (especially to anyone who's seen a Game & Watch). This, however, is going to alienate EVERYONE who's not already a Nintendo fanboy. Think about it. Sony fans will be laughing their heads off when they see this. There's no way they'll be won over. Xbox players will... umm.... well they'll have Halo I guess. Casual gamers (non-dedicated gamers who play for a while and don't give a darn for brand loyalty) have already shown they prefer Playstation, and this new controller will only confirm it for them. They'll look at it and say "gay" and go right back to PS3. Old schoolers will apparently feel right at home with the sideways NES style layout, but really, how many games will be designed with that in mind? This controller will be awful for sports games, I just can't see anyone wanting to play Madden on this system anymore.

Its strengths will lie pretty strongly in gimmick games. Sure, you can get a "shell" to use an old style controller, but you know that that won't be well recieved, and everyone who gets a Revolution is probably just going to buy one of those anyway. This reminds me a lot of the XaviXport, where the only real way to play more games is to buy the proprietary controller for them. This makes each game that much more expensive.

I'm NOT a closed minded gamer. I'm neither a new school mainstream gamer nor am I an old school traditionalist who poo poos everything that's come out since Super Mario Bros. 3. I gave the DS the benefit of the doubt and even supported it in spite of it being the unpopular system. As far as I'm concerned, however, this could well be the nail in the coffin for Nintendo as a console manufacturer. I know it's still early yet, which is why I say could well be and not is going to be. However, Nintendo has lost a LOT of footing ever since the PS1 came out, and they've been losing more and more with each new generation of consoles. This isn't going to be a popular move on their part. Right now, Nintendo needs to focus on their market research a little more and see what real gamers really want. They're REALLY pidgeonholing themselves with this one. If they survive, I'll be elated. If they somehow manage to come out on top (good luck, going up against 2 of the biggest names in electronics IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!), I'll be revelatory. However, right now, it really seems like Nintendo up and shot themselves in the foot...

Rengori
09-17-2005, 04:17 AM
They had a hope with the DS. At least you can see right off the bat how the new features are fun, but it's still a very familiar design (especially to anyone who's seen a Game & Watch). This, however, is going to alienate EVERYONE who's not already a Nintendo fanboy. Think about it. Sony fans will be laughing their heads off when they see this. There's no way they'll be won over. Xbox players will... umm.... well they'll have Halo I guess. Casual gamers (non-dedicated gamers who play for a while and don't give a darn for brand loyalty) have already shown they prefer Playstation, and this new controller will only confirm it for them. They'll look at it and say "gay" and go right back to PS3. Old schoolers will apparently feel right at home with the sideways NES style layout, but really, how many games will be designed with that in mind? This controller will be awful for sports games, I just can't see anyone wanting to play Madden on this system anymore.

Its strengths will lie pretty strongly in gimmick games. Sure, you can get a "shell" to use an old style controller, but you know that that won't be well recieved, and everyone who gets a Revolution is probably just going to buy one of those anyway. This reminds me a lot of the XaviXport, where the only real way to play more games is to buy the proprietary controller for them. This makes each game that much more expensive.

I'm NOT a closed minded gamer. I'm neither a new school mainstream gamer nor am I an old school traditionalist who poo poos everything that's come out since Super Mario Bros. 3. I gave the DS the benefit of the doubt and even supported it in spite of it being the unpopular system. As far as I'm concerned, however, this could well be the nail in the coffin for Nintendo as a console manufacturer. I know it's still early yet, which is why I say could well be and not is going to be. However, Nintendo has lost a LOT of footing ever since the PS1 came out, and they've been losing more and more with each new generation of consoles. This isn't going to be a popular move on their part. Right now, Nintendo needs to focus on their market research a little more and see what real gamers really want. They're REALLY pidgeonholing themselves with this one. If they survive, I'll be elated. If they somehow manage to come out on top (good luck, going up against 2 of the biggest names in electronics IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!), I'll be revelatory. However, right now, it really seems like Nintendo up and shot themselves in the foot...
Very in depth, DJZen.

ljkkjlcm9
09-17-2005, 04:23 AM
I don't know people, I watched the entire Nintendo press release video, all 50 minutes of it, and it seems like Nintendo really did their homework on this one. I'm going to wait and see how this turns out.

And for the record the DS increased the portable market by a very large amount

THE JACKEL

SomethingBig
09-17-2005, 04:25 AM
The Playstation and Playstation 2 have had both the G-Con .45 and the G-Con 2 lightguns. The latter of which had a D-pad on the back.

Now how exactly is what Nintendo is doing radicaly different to this?
Because the GunCon was used for just shooting, whereas the Revolution controller will control movement and attacks. There hasn't been a console yet that used motion sensors to this extent.

And as much as I hate to admit it, I agree with DJZen.

Agent Proto
09-17-2005, 04:26 AM
Hey guys, Nintendo is creating a shell that resembles a "normal" controller, so don't dismiss that this current controller will be the only kind on Revolution.

bipper
09-17-2005, 04:45 AM
BRING ON THE "RAR IT SUX KOS IT GEY ND FAG!" COMMENTS!

RAR IT SUX KOS IT GEY ND FAG
Simply put, thier controler should look like this:
http://www.isopixel.net/images/hotpants.jpg

For those who like to keep it to the hands - this highly advanced model should still be followed:
http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/other/images/nintendo_nes-004.jpg

Madame Adequate
09-17-2005, 04:52 AM
Hey guys, Nintendo is creating a shell that resembles a "normal" controller, so don't dismiss that this current controller will be the only kind on Revolution.

I like the idea of not having to buy a new peripheral for half my games.

Just me though, I wager.

Agent Proto
09-17-2005, 05:27 AM
oh yeah.

STFU naysayers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/proto3k2/revcontrollers.jpg

Just to let you know, it's not the official shell, but what it may look like. It may have a different look when Nintendo officially showcases the shell.

Rengori
09-17-2005, 05:35 AM
I hated the Gamecube controller too. That's just me though.

Agent Proto
09-17-2005, 05:38 AM
It's not going to look like that. It may, but I'm pretty sure it will have a better look.

Besides, the GameCube controller is the most comfortable controller, like ever.

bipper
09-17-2005, 05:39 AM
the SNES controler was the last one that made any sence to me.

Excelsior
09-17-2005, 06:44 AM
I love how everyones bitching about this controller before they've ever touched it, and yet everytime I complain about Advent Children or Final Fantasy XII and how lame there gonna be, everyone chews me out and tells me to have an open mind.

DJZen
09-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Well as I've always said, it's the games that make the system. Nintendo's new philosophy seems to be that the system should make the games. Will Nintendo release some sort of add on? Yes, they've already said they would, it's kind of a given at this point. But how much will it cost? With the GC controller you could play just about any game released for the system. Okay, so Dance Dance Revolution with Mario is a bit of an exception, but that's one game out of hundreds. I fail to see how this controller will accomodate your typical Mario game. You can't even play Mario Sunshine with only 2 buttons, it just wouldn't work. You know how camera angles in 3D games are really annoying WITH the ability to rotate the camera? Well, kiss that camera rotating option goodbye. Oh, and remember that Kingdom Hearts game that everyone was talking about? Yeah, that'd never work with this controller either. Oh and how about those two games that every GC owner bought? What were they called again? Oh that's right! Soul Calibur 2 and Super Smash Bros. Melee! I guess this controller isn't so good for games like that either.

It's different alright, but that in and of itself isn't always a good thing.

Also, I'm not saying the system will suck. For all I know it'll be the greatest thing ever made. However, I DO know a bad marketing decision when I see one, and this has "suicide" written all over it.

gokufusionss1
09-17-2005, 08:05 AM
[quote=somthingbig]

For those who like to keep it to the hands - this highly advanced model should still be followed:
http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/other/images/nintendo_nes-004.jpg

ahh the glory days!

This idea is actualy starting to grow on me.

Madame Adequate
09-17-2005, 01:10 PM

True. It's the only controller I've ever used which actually causes my hand to be in pain.

Raistlin
09-17-2005, 04:06 PM
I love how everyones bitching about this controller before they've ever touched it, and yet everytime I complain about Advent Children or Final Fantasy XII and how lame there gonna be, everyone chews me out and tells me to have an open mind.
I haven't said that to you, but it's much easier to judge a controller by a picture than it is for a movie or a game. :p

Destai
09-17-2005, 05:12 PM

True. It's the only controller I've ever used which actually causes my hand to be in pain.What? are your hand square or something? They fit the shape of a hand much better than the playstation or X-Box (ESPECIALLY the Xbox) controller.

Madame Adequate
09-17-2005, 06:20 PM
True. It's the only controller I've ever used which actually causes my hand to be in pain.What? are your hand square or something? They fit the shape of a hand much better than the playstation or X-Box (ESPECIALLY the Xbox) controller.

Complete opposite for me. I like the PS controller, it's always been fairly comfy. I love the X-Box controller, and I'm currently trying to hoard as many of the old, large models as I can. The GC controller ends up hurting with most games after a half hour.

Rengori
09-17-2005, 06:24 PM

Complete opposite for me. I like the PS controller, it's always been fairly comfy. I love the X-Box controller, and I'm currently trying to hoard as many of the old, large models as I can. The GC controller ends up hurting with most games after a half hour.
Same here, minus the X-Box statement as I have never touched an X-Box (WAY too many Halo fanboys at school to risk it), though i might go for a 360 if more RPG's or platformers emerge.

Sorta off topic, I wasn't impressed with the DS because only about 10 games actually use the second screen wisely.

Psychotic
09-17-2005, 06:41 PM
The fact that they're making a "classic shell" says to me like they're admitting they know this thing won't be popular before it's even out. Yeah, they say it's because of retro games, but that's obviously PR spin. Retro games should not be the main selling/focus point of a brand new console, especially at this stage in its development, and if they are, it just shows how little faith Nintendo has in its new crop of games. Not good.

Also why are people jumping on people criticising it saying "IT'S NOT OUT YET HOW DO YOU KNOW IT'S GOING TO BE BAD!!!!!?!?!?!!?!" and then defending the damn thing. To that I say: IT'S NOT OUT YET HOW DO YOU KNOW IT'S GOING TO BE GOOD!!!!!?!?!?!!?! It's the same logic. :)

Shoeberto
09-17-2005, 06:45 PM
The fact that they're making a "classic shell" says to me like they're admitting they know this thing won't be popular before it's even out. Yeah, they say it's because of retro games, but that's obviously PR spin. Retro games should not be the main selling/focus point of a brand new console, especially at this stage in its development, and if they are, it just shows how little faith Nintendo has in its new crop of games. Not good.
Actually, if you read the article I posted, that was also made so that developers could make cross-platform ports and not have to worry about how to get it to work with the radically different style.

bipper
09-17-2005, 06:53 PM
I agree with psycotic and its hat. I think its all jsut a PR spin so nintendo can play it safe. They seem to trying so many different things with thier Gameboy systems, and thier desktops, I think the more that the try to be 'special' the more mainstream players they will loose. It jsut reminds me of the genius running the show at Apple. I belive in functionality over style when it comes to hardware.

Admit it, the standard of the industry is the bigger controller that you can grip tightly and swing around at your friends when they are owning you in a FPS. I don't see how treatenint one could be waving a remote around :(
If there is an idustry standard, I think it would be in Nintendo's best intrest to adhir to it. Off their hippy controller, as a freebie on the side, or a seperate unit imho.

bipper

Madame Adequate
09-17-2005, 07:10 PM
I just realized.

People who say you can turn it on its side and you have a NES controller; look at what would be directly under your left hand.

That's right. The inexplicable power button.

MecaKane
09-17-2005, 07:40 PM
The lazer wireless thing would also be covered up, actually. It'd better be pretty powerful to get through fat ol' nerd hands.

ZeZipster
09-17-2005, 08:21 PM
oh yeah.

STFU naysayers.

Just to let you know, it's not the official shell, but what it may look like. It may have a different look when Nintendo officially showcases the shell.

That looks like the XBOX controller. >=/

Destai
09-17-2005, 08:33 PM
oh yeah.

STFU naysayers.

That looks like the XBOX controller. >=/
Dream cast more like.

omnitarian
09-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Wavebird, more like.

Zeldy
09-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Thats definatly like a Wavebird.

Ultima Shadow
09-17-2005, 10:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/mousedown/revo.swf

Excelsior
09-17-2005, 11:23 PM
I haven't said that to you, but it's much easier to judge a controller by a picture than it is for a movie or a game. :p

True, but I could probably write you an essay about why FF XII is probably gonna be the worst one ever. Not so much with Advent Children, I just think that movies gonna be a bad idea, but it could be good. There's so many things wrong with FF XII though, its ridiculous.

Tidus Andronicus
09-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Seems that most people, actually like the new controller idea, once they take some time and actually read up about how it works... lol It grows on you! XD

Even so there are still a lot of people that are... unsure about it, to say the least... :rolleyes2

Basically, we wont really know until we can use it, and see the games made for it... it really depends on the games... I'm seriously hopping that Nintendo doesn't release too many gimicky games, and instead focus more on solid games... (unlike with the DS, were most games, at least when it started, were very "minigameish" and novelty)

With the Revolution, I'm starting to want it more than the PS3... I think in the end, for me, it will depend on release dates, as to which I get first... but the PS3 and Rev both have a huge library to start out with... so thats a plus on both ends... The PS3 can play PS1+2 games... while the Revolution can play all Nintendo games, back to the NES! Most will actually be free! Supposedly, games from NES through the N64, that are 1st party Nintendo games, will be totally free to play on the Rev... and as for other games done by 3rd parties, well its up to the them to deside prices.
The Library on the Revolution and cost, as well as the inovative controller, really make me want the Rev more than the PS3 first!
Also Nintendo is most likely to price the Revolution at $200 at launch!! And I would be surprised to see it any higher than that... MAYBE $250.
I will say that I'd really like to see the Rev's graphics before I make a desision... but even without knowing that, I can deal... after all, can you resist the idea of all those classic games for free?

As far as the controller is conserned, yea Nintendo has announced several add-ons for it, including one that would attach to the "remote" and make it more like a classic controller... Imagine a classic controller shape with the motion detection of the Rev! >=3
But even without the controller add-on, the Controller itself still has a TON of possiblilities! Many buttons that we used to need for playing games like FPSs or even party games, can be subsituted by the Motion/tilt detection! To straife in a FPS, you could just tilt/rotate the controller a little to the right or left, for example. Also, for say in game aiming, you wont need a seperate analog stick, instead you can just aim the remote at the TV screen, and a crosshair will assist you to show where your pointing... This allows the player to do multiple actions relatively easilly! Tilt a little right to straife accross a room, while aiming at different enemies and taking them out! ^_~
And can you imagine playing a game like Super Monkey Ball on the Revolution!! The whole game would be played just by tilting the controller! XD
Also, the controller allows for totally new ways of playing games, that was previously not hear of... I dont even know what they will come up with, but that trailer Nintendo created for the Rev controller really makes me think!^_~

All I can say to those that really seem against this, is give it a shot! Please try it before you condem it!

I can't wait for the PS3 and the Revolution, and come next year I'm sure I'll be buying both (even if I'm still uber poor)... It is likely that the Nintendo Revolution will come out about the same time as the PS3, which could be bad if Nintendo doesn't advertize a lot, to prevent Sony from overshadowing them... But at only $200 and such a huge FREE library (and free online services), how can it fail??
Maybe its just wishfull thinking, but I'd be willing to bet that the Nintendo Revolution will sell a lot better than the Gamecube did!

Maxico
09-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Tilting sounds like a nightmare to me. It would basicaly mean that you would have to keep your controller completly flat alot of the time. Now I don't know about those people but I move around alot when I play games, I sometimes play lying down and often have to scoot across the sofa to let someone sit down. Now it sounds like if I did any of those with the revolution I would Crash, Tailspin, Stall or send my monkey to a watery death.

XxSephirothxX
09-18-2005, 12:37 AM
I thought the Controller Shell mockup IGN made was awesome. The GameCube controller with a better right joystick and an extra shoulder button? God, I'd love it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-18-2005, 01:56 AM
http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/nintendos-genre-innovation-strategy.html

Don't worry about the length or the dry tone; you should be able to speed-read and still get the idea. Or, here's a summary courtesy of Jeremy Parish.
To wit: The current direction of the gaming industry is to cater increasingly to a specific group of people, which alienates everyone else and will ultimately prove harmful as genres continue to become overspecialized (thus appealing to a smaller and smaller core group). Nintendo is trying to move outside that shrinking hardcore constituency using hardware innovation. In other words, the company is defining its own terms of success -- especially since games for Nintendo systems cost far less to develop than those on competing systems, meaning developers and publishers can make a healthy profit with fewer sales, thus freeing them to go after less clearly-defined audiences.

This is, I think, exactly why the fanboy press is so baffled by Nintendo's continued existence as a first-party hardware creator. The company increasingly refuses to cater to them. And I guess that's why I tend to gravitate toward its creations, too; at some point I think I fell outside the "primary hardcore" circle of the Venn diagram. I still can't muster up an ounce of enthusiasm for God of War, but Trauma Center looks pretty rad. (Hopefully admitting that fact won't get me fired.)

Tidus Andronicus
09-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Wow... that was a good read... very insightful. And I'm surprised how well I understood that!

I suggest anyone that doubts or dislikes Nintendo to please read the article Kawaii Ryűkishi posted!

That really expanded my understanding of Nintendo, and the gaming industry as a whole. It would seem Nintendo has a pretty strong strategy... And after reading that, I hope Nintendo is able to maintain their business model for many years to come.
When you think about it this way, Nintendo does a lot more for the gaming industry than the current 'hard-core' competition between Sony and Microsoft... All they manage to do between themselves is to keep pushing the current hardcore genres higher, which would soon tire out the consumers, if not for Nintendo to introduce new genres.

They've been doing it for years, and although right now, their choices might seem a little outlandish, the industry is once again at a point where a change this radical, at a core hardware level, is needed to keep gaming from slipping into a decline. At first glance, the industry looks like its doing wonderfully, lots of people play games, and a new generation is on its way... But step back and take Nintendo out of the equasion. What happens? The genres become saturated, the core fan base starts to get bored, and the gaming industry begines to decline from lack of interest.(granted that this would be a slow process) With out a company like Nintendo, to introduce something new, at such a core level as a controller, its hard to maintain the industry on current genres alone. As the article says, changes such as a new style of controller are only truely needed once in a while, as that is just enough to allow the new change to grow and mature and become standard. Eventually technology gets better, and allows a new change to come along and refresh things too.
Though, as long as Nintendo remains in the equasion, their surface impact seems quite small, yet their influence goes just deep enough to keep things interesting.
I'd bet that in 6-10 years when this next console generation is over, that all systems like PS4 will have this new motion detection in its controllers...

I'll admit, over these last 2 years, I've greatly lost interest in most games. After reading this article, I can see why the few games I play right now are games like Katamari Damacy, and even why I bought a GC and also a DS (forget that those are Nintendo products, I needed something different), since I was tired of the same stuff on PS2... Heck even Final Fantasy can sometimes bore me these days, cause even with great stories, its still very simmilar gameplay. So I've very curious to see what the Revolution will bring. ^_~

Destai
09-18-2005, 12:29 PM
21 pages? pffft screw that

Tidus Andronicus
09-18-2005, 03:48 PM
O_o... 21 pages of what? That article is no where near 21 pages... its like maybe 2 pages. xD

DJZen
09-18-2005, 10:05 PM
I've read the article and there's a bit more to it than Kishi's quote, but he gets the gist of it across. Now, I will respond.

To wit: The current direction of the gaming industry is to cater increasingly to a specific group of people, which alienates everyone else and will ultimately prove harmful as genres continue to become overspecialized (thus appealing to a smaller and smaller core group). Nintendo is trying to move outside that shrinking hardcore constituency using hardware innovation. In other words, the company is defining its own terms of success -- especially since games for Nintendo systems cost far less to develop than those on competing systems, meaning developers and publishers can make a healthy profit with fewer sales, thus freeing them to go after less clearly-defined audiences.

This is, I think, exactly why the fanboy press is so baffled by Nintendo's continued existence as a first-party hardware creator. The company increasingly refuses to cater to them. And I guess that's why I tend to gravitate toward its creations, too; at some point I think I fell outside the "primary hardcore" circle of the Venn diagram. I still can't muster up an ounce of enthusiasm for God of War, but Trauma Center looks pretty rad. (Hopefully admitting that fact won't get me fired.)

Bullocks to that. This controller is ITSELF like a new genre, in that we will see a broad spectrum of innovative, yet weird titles at first, then we will see a kind of "rennaisance" as developers finally get the formula down. After that the standards will sink in and things will immediately become stale. Was the bongo controller innovative? Well, there's been bemani games before, but it was the first controller of its type to require you to clap, and it was the first to be used for something other than a bemani game. But seriously, how many games can you make for a controller like that? It's just not suitable for every type of game. You could TRY to make a baseball game for it, but you'd be met with marginal if any success.

So really, Nintendo has put a PHYSICAL limitation on the type of gameplay experience you'll get to have. They'll be forced to release an add on just to accomodate traditional types of games (and people whose arms get sore), making the main controller moot.

Innovative gameplay my foot! It's the way in which the developer uses the controller that makes it innovative, not the hardware itself! Sure, anything that hasn't been done before is innovative, but let's look at Dance Dance Revolution for a minute, shall we? The controller idea had been used before. It's just a simplified version of Nintendo's very own Power Pad. However, it was Konami's bemani gameplay coupled with the controller that made it an innovation. Now let's examine the games Pump It Up! and Techno Motion. Both games used a new style of controller (in PIU!'s case, it was a 5 direction pad using the diagonals and center, and in TM's case, it used a 9 direction pad), but the games themselves were immediately seen as knockoffs, and rightly so. They use the exact same style of play. Thus, they are not innovative. This is even why further bemani series (Drum Mania, Guitar Freaks, Keyboardmania, and games like Donkey Konga and Taiko no Tatsujin) failed to generate as much fervor. While the controller was completely new and innovative, the games were all exactly the same.

Nintendo's original controller was so well received because it was simple, but it accomodated any type of game you wanted to play, except for pong clones, but people were sick of those at that point anyway. Actually, what we SHOULD be talking about is the paddle controller. One knob and one button was all you got. Sounds limiting, doesn't it? Well, developers naturally overcame that and produced a pretty good selection of games (including Warlords, which is one of the best games ever). However, there's only so far you can go with an interface like that. It's great for games that only require a limited field of 2D movement, but beyond that it's horrible. The reason that the "gamepad" style of controller was so succesful is because it was ACCOMODATING. It was much better for a much wider variety of games.

Unfortunately, that's not why it's going to be unpopular. It's going to be unpopular because "NintenDUMB is for teh f4gz!!!!!!!11". Oh society... When will you learn...

DMKA
09-18-2005, 10:25 PM
SNES Controller > All others since. PS/PS2 Controller comes second since it's so close to the SNES controller.

ughhis
09-18-2005, 10:42 PM
I hate Excelsior.
The controller looks awesome, by the way.

Shadow8017
09-19-2005, 12:24 AM
.. I have mixed feelings about it and my worst fear is that they'll dedicate this system too much to making lame ass games in an attempt to appeal to people who have never played videogames before ( This has been openly stated by the pres. of nintendo and miyamoto himself as one of their primary marketing strategies )

but on the other hand I understand their move with this. It's no secret nintendo's been gradually losing more and more third party support ( name one exceptional game for the gamecube that wasn't developed by nintendo themselves ) and for that reason it took a 3rd place seat. I think the gamecube was nintendo's realization that the n64 was such a setback that they can no longer compete with sony and microsoft at their own game ... the result in trying to do so is the limited success they had with the gamecube. So now they're trying to tap into a new market with drastic changes to their hardware.

the problem is ... im just not so sure how "revolutionary" this controller is. Didn't basically the same technology exist 15+ years ago when we were playing duck hunt on the nes? I think for true seasoned gamers, the real revolution in gaming right now is online gaming in home consoles, and sony and microsoft seem to understand this better.

Tidus Andronicus
09-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Anyone that wants some good info on how the Revolution controller works and what it can be used for, read this:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html
Thats a great peice of info all in one place on it.^_^ Since a lot of people have been asking these questions!

Shlup
09-19-2005, 01:23 AM
The teaser makes me laugh every time.

I like it 'cause it caters to all those gamer n00bs that move their whole damn body when they move the controller.

DJZen
09-19-2005, 01:30 AM
name one exceptional game for the gamecube that wasn't developed by nintendo themselves

Resident Evil? Viewtiful Joe? Soul Calibur 2? Eternal Darkness? Alien Homonid? Baten Kaitos? Beyond Good & Evil? Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals? Anything with the word "James Bond" in it? Anything with the word "Bomberman" in it? Starfox Assault? Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes? Dude, have you even SEEN a Gamecube?

and for that reason it took a 3rd place seat.

No it was for several reasons. Mainly it was because the Playstation caused Nintendo to fall so far behind in the market (and the developer unfriendly N64 certainly didn't help things) that people were soured to Nintendo from the getgo. The new school of gamers whose first console was a Playstation had decreed that anything made by Nintendo was inherently "ghey". It probably didn't help that the original Gamecube model was purple. There were some grumblings about the Gamecube's lack of multimedia functions (you couldn't use it as a CD or DVD player), lack of 3rd party support, and complete lack of a killer app (Not that the PS2 had any at the time of its launch. Fantavision? Pffft.). People also had complaints about the controller (as you can still see on this forum). However, one BIG reason that people don't tend to notice as much has to do with corporate reasons. Compared to Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo is a small fry. Sony and Microsoft were huge corporate giants long before either of them ever dreamed of making a game console. They OWN ENTIRE FACTORIES WHERE THE CHIPSETS ARE CAST. If you were to TAKE MICROSOFT'S ENTIRE WAREHOUSE FULL OF XBOX360S AND BLOW IT UP they WOULDN'T EVEN BAT AN EYE. These are corporate MEGA GIANTS who can afford to loose more money EVERY DAY than most of us will EVER SEE IN OUR ENTIRE LIVES. They could BUY OUT Nintendo several times over with no noticeable financial loss. Because of this, they can afford to make crazy new technology at a whim. Notice how Nintendo's entire console is outsourced to other companies? Yeah, there's a reason for that, and it hits them right in the pocketbook.

Didn't basically the same technology exist 15+ years ago when we were playing duck hunt on the nes?

No.

I think for true seasoned gamers, the real revolution in gaming right now is online gaming in home consoles, and sony and microsoft seem to understand this better.

I think true seasoned gamers are smacking their foreheads at how many games are starting to include online support. The REAL revolution will come when people start to realize there's a lot more to gaming than Halo and GTA.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-19-2005, 02:04 AM
I like it 'cause it caters to all those girls and women that move their whole damn body when they move the controller.Fixed.

XxSephirothxX
09-19-2005, 03:40 AM
DJZen, I think you made some good points and it's admirable that you defended Nintendo despite disagreeing with their move with the controller. I think, though, that if they do the controller shell right, they won't be limiting games. If they make the shell right, they should, in effect, be saying "Hey look, guys, use this to make your so-called 'normal' games, and when you want to do something interesting for a change, use our new controller." I think it IS an innovative idea, but it's really the way company's utilize it that proves its worth.

DJZen
09-19-2005, 05:06 AM
Yes but the fact remains that it's looking like you'll have to buy it seperately. The main controller is still the remote control looking thing... What do you even call it? A butterstick? Joymote? Joy-Log? Gah... Yes, I'll defend Nintendo as a company, primarily because they're the only console manufacturer that's actually a game company these days. But also because I'm not some obsessed fan-boy out to flame anyone who dares pick up a non-Sony controller. I'm just saying I think it's a seriously bad move on Nintendo's part.

Also, if you want to see some reactions, check out the 1-up.com forums, there's definitely people there who've already called it "the g4yest controller that ever g4yed". Now, I want to smack them all personally, but I really think that popular opinion is going to go against Nintendo's favor here.

I like it 'cause it caters to all those girls and women that move their whole damn body when they move the controller.

Marry me.

Shlup
09-19-2005, 06:09 AM
I like it 'cause it caters to all those girls and women that move their whole damn body when they move the controller.Fixed.
Hehe, I was thinking specifically of my mother when I posted that too.

Shadow8017
09-19-2005, 06:10 AM
name one exceptional game for the gamecube that wasn't developed by nintendo themselves

Resident Evil? Viewtiful Joe? Soul Calibur 2? Eternal Darkness? Alien Homonid? Baten Kaitos? Beyond Good & Evil? Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals? Anything with the word "James Bond" in it? Anything with the word "Bomberman" in it? Starfox Assault? Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes? Dude, have you even SEEN a Gamecube?

give me a break, you damn well know these are not games that come to mind when people think of the successes that belonged to gamecube. I mean, lets take a look at some of these games you managed to throw up there. FInal Fantasy Crystal Chronicles? A game with mixed reviews that's "edge" was largely based on the "dual functionality" of the gba and gamecube which was nothing more than a money-making gimmick. In short, the game sucked and it fell flat on its face to most final fantasy fans who expected more. Beyond Good & Evil? The game didn't sell for /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, next. Alien Homonid? Now you're just getting downright petty, would you ever even feign to think of this being a ps2 or an xbox defining game? Yeah, I didn't think so. Out of that multitude of games you no doubt racked your brains for I could maybe hand you like 1 or 2 games that were both gamecube exclusive and remarkable games. Yeah ... sorry im afraid my general point still stands. Gamecube pales in comparison to sony and microsoft in 3rd party support.

and for that reason it took a 3rd place seat.

No it was for several reasons. Mainly it was because the Playstation caused Nintendo to fall so far behind in the market (and the developer unfriendly N64 certainly didn't help things) that people were soured to Nintendo from the getgo. The new school of gamers whose first console was a Playstation had decreed that anything made by Nintendo was inherently "ghey". It probably didn't help that the original Gamecube model was purple. There were some grumblings about the Gamecube's lack of multimedia functions (you couldn't use it as a CD or DVD player), lack of 3rd party support, and complete lack of a killer app (Not that the PS2 had any at the time of its launch. Fantavision? Pffft.). People also had complaints about the controller (as you can still see on this forum). However, one BIG reason that people don't tend to notice as much has to do with corporate reasons. Compared to Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo is a small fry. Sony and Microsoft were huge corporate giants long before either of them ever dreamed of making a game console. They OWN ENTIRE FACTORIES WHERE THE CHIPSETS ARE CAST. If you were to TAKE MICROSOFT'S ENTIRE WAREHOUSE FULL OF XBOX360S AND BLOW IT UP they WOULDN'T EVEN BAT AN EYE. These are corporate MEGA GIANTS who can afford to loose more money EVERY DAY than most of us will EVER SEE IN OUR ENTIRE LIVES. They could BUY OUT Nintendo several times over with no noticeable financial loss. Because of this, they can afford to make crazy new technology at a whim. Notice how Nintendo's entire console is outsourced to other companies? Yeah, there's a reason for that, and it hits them right in the pocketbook.

No argument out of me here. That's all very true. Except for the part about making Nintendo sound like they're poor or something ... their success on pokemon and gba alone ensures they wont be going bankrupt anytime soon. But yeah, insignificant compared to the networth of sony and microsoft.

Didn't basically the same technology exist 15+ years ago when we were playing duck hunt on the nes?

No.

Yeah, a big pat on the back for you for not offering any sort of an explanation. I suppose I was silly for thinking I could intrude upon your impalpable intellect there with such a vain, stupid, and just utterly asinine question. Hmm lets see ... in the days of duck hunt you used this contraption called a light gun that emitted infrared light to interact with the little things you saw on the screen. Clearly, the revolution is leaps and bounds ahead of this ( I M3aN li3k CMON itz g0t Rev0luti0n iN Teh NAmE!) as outlined in this excerpt taken from http://www.gamesfirst.com/index.php?id=677 :

"Another enticing attribute of the Revolution controller is its ability to function as a pointer. The controller emits a beam of infrared light that can be located on the television screen, potentially allowing for Nintendo DS style "touch" gameplay on the big screen. And since a pointer is essentially a light gun with very rapid fire, other more traditional light gun style interactions might also be possible."

In conclusion, dont try and be an internet cool-man with such a curt, rude answer to a question frankly you obviously dont know a whole lot about. But then again I guess just typing in "no" and dismissing it as foolish rhetoric was a whole lot easier than actually formulating an intellegent response. go figure.

I think for true seasoned gamers, the real revolution in gaming right now is online gaming in home consoles, and sony and microsoft seem to understand this better.

I think true seasoned gamers are smacking their foreheads at how many games are starting to include online support. The REAL revolution will come when people start to realize there's a lot more to gaming than Halo and GTA.

funny, I didn't get the online version of GTA ... man I feel scammed. Anyway, look I commend Nintendo for the path they've chosen and standing out from the crowd. However, they're not the only ones pushing those quirky innovative titles. Katamari Damacy, for example, is arguebley the most innovative game of 2004 and is NOT found on the GC. Upcoming games like Okami http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/okami/615010p1.html which is ... wait for it ... a ps2 exclusive title, also looks promising. Nintendo's brand of revolution and innovation seems to be pushing new mediums of ways in which we interact with games. An example aside from the revolution is the nintendo DS and its touch screen application. Unfortunately I've just yet to be impressed with the implementation. Things like petting dogs with a stylus and other trivial tasks such as chopping food or fishing (Both of which were showcased in the revolution controller trailer along with other ridiculous looking crap) with a tv-like controller just doesn't appeal to me. but its a step in the right direction, and who knows the revolution could truly be revolutionary, but given nintendo's history of flops that involved quirky imaginitive and ambitious hardware ( Virtual boy, dual functionality of the gba and gc ) I'm thinkin no.

Endless
09-19-2005, 08:58 AM
The controller has the ability to detect tilting (in 3 dimensions, mind you), which clearly, the NES light gun doesn't have.

Tidus Andronicus
09-19-2005, 09:52 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Nintendo isn't like Sony or Microsoft... They actually care more about their consumers than the majority of companies out there. (Or at least, Nintendo knows how to be good to its customers, to keep them loyal.)

For those of you that keep complaining... over and over... about having to buy the add-ons... For one, no one will force you to buy them, and a lot of games probably wont need them... and second Nintendo ISN'T expensive! They've never been! Heck, the Revolution probably wont be more than $200!
Nintendo prides themselves for being able to give us products, at actually reasonable prices! (unlike other companies) Sometimes Nintendo sacrifies graphics to do so, but they never sacrifice quality.

Its most likely that the add-ons for the Rev controller will be packaged with the games that need them... in a simmilar way that the EyeToy was packaged with its games... selling them both with and without.
And I'm gonna beleive, from what I've seen in the past, that those 'with add-on' packages wont cost more than $5-10 more than the ones without. We might not even see difference in price.
For the controller add-on, (to make it look traditional) they could definantly sell that in stores seperately, for maybe $15 or so... But its also very likely, since this add-on will probably be widely needed, that Nintendo will just package it with the Revolution.

I can't really predict what will happen... so we'll just have to wait and see... But imagine how expensive things like add-ons would be if this was an Xbox, or a Playstation! Just be glad Nintendo is cheaper than the rest! =P
For what its worth, the way I see it... Nintendo is the most deserving of the 3 companies, to get my money! I still can't wait for a PS3... But we owe Nintendo a lot, and they still play a very important part in the industry. I wish more people would actually consider that when choosing a console.

Lionx
09-19-2005, 09:55 AM
You know that article reminds me of how people are saying how much FFXII sucks without it comming out. As mean as it sounds it does lower my perception of alot of people who just cant like something thats made with alot of thought and effort into it, and DEMAND that the game fit their mold. :rolleyes2 While its good to have old games rehashed and refined its also good to explore new grounds. People are dismissing things before it comes out AGAIN and AGAIN. Its old people >_>; Its one thing to have concerns for Revolution because yes it is different, however to say its ghey or whatever and Sony pwnt Nintendo in everyway possible is just rofl.

No one appreciates anything anymore until everything is completely the same. *sighs* Wonder if we will hit the same Video Game market crash back in the 80s.

That and i always thought Sony and MS were just that..posers. Psh.

Tidus Andronicus
09-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Wonder if we will hit the same Video Game market crash back in the 80s.
You know, its interesting you brought that up... lol If I base my idea on the article Kawaii Ryűkishi posted... then I could easily say that Nintendo is one of the major reasons that we haven't really gone into a video game market crash since the 80s. That sounds a little odd if you haven't read the article... lol, but its actually a decently strong idea.
As long as Nintendo is able to maintain a good place in the Industry, I don't think that we will see a crash for a while... hopefully. lol

I'm gonna rant a little about the recent history, seeing as its 4am, and I dont feel like sleeping. XD

The way I see it... the fact that Microsoft even joined the console race to begine with, was a major blow to the industry... in a very bad way. All Microsoft is trying to do, is to capitalize on yet another growing market that they can shove their greedy hands into. And if they had their way, they'd get a monopoly over it, just like they have with the PC world. As a result of Microsoft's push into the, shall I say 3 man elevator 3 because thats really the max number of good console companies that the market can deal with, the weak man of the group had to leave... This was of course Sega at the time, a great company with a lot of potential, just like Nintendo.
Take Microsoft out of the picture, and right now, you'd have Sony and Nintendo competing for the top... You'd also have more homes that Sony and Nintendo could get into! Sony works hard to compete for the top, and Nintendo seems very good at introducing very new ideas! These 2 companies would do very good together in the market. Both companies at this point would still have the strong fan bases they did back before the Xbox was a factor. You can even put Sega back into the show at this point, and imagine what they'd do for the industry! Sega was a mix of Nintendo, and more hardcore style and content. In my mind, the most perfect state the gaming industry could acheive, would be 2 or maybe 3 companies (2 is probably best, so that consumers dont get confused by too many different formats). You can't take a company like Nintendo out of the picture, you just can't... or everything falls apart, as Kawaii Ryűkishi's link shows.

Put Microsoft back in, and look at what they are doing right now... they are mearly trying to power through! They aren't bringing much of anything new into the scene, they are just trying to make money off of the stuff thats already there... They use their almost never ending supply of money, to go on extreamly intrusive advertizement campain, so that the consumer sees more of them than any other company...
And now picture Microsoft as the top company! What do you get? well, thats easy, another big market crash, due to all the consumers getting bored of the same stuff... And also, the market wouldn't improve or go anywhere. I'm not talking about just hardware either, in general hardware improvements are awesome, and fun, but they dont do too much to the general market... Its the gameplay, and the new things/ideas, that keep the general market interested enough to empty their wallets for more.

Sorry for ranting this much... but I really dont like Microsoft... LOL And I had a lot of, ideas in my head I needed to put here. XD To just clearify my preference, I'm not against Sony or Nintendo, I feel pretty equal about how much I like both.

(oh and btw, I just wanna add, I've seen people say that Sony was inovative cause they made eyetoy, and yea, they are, to a very minor extent, but they didn't create the EyeToy, EyeToy is a ripoff of a Sega Dreamcast device called the DreamEye!)

*sigh* I miss Sega... =3 In the game industry, I think Sega and Nintendo should be where Microsoft is. XD Them against Sony... dono if it would work, but I'd like to see it. XD

ljkkjlcm9
09-19-2005, 12:40 PM
I'd like to note that everytime I look at the console race, and the position of the consoles, it's usually Sony in first, and Nintendo and Microsoft basically even, Microsoft pretty much ignores Nintendo and is just competing against Sony, and Nintendo ignores Microsoft, at least in every fiscal review article I've ever read

THE JACKEL

Madame Adequate
09-19-2005, 12:57 PM
If we're going back to which companies should be making consoles, then I say get rid of Nintendo and bring back SEGA. That's just me though.

At any rate, the X-Box is growing constantly in popularity, and for a good reason: It's an awesome machine. If things are multi-platform, I always go for the X-Box version. Why? It plays best, has the best graphics, and oftentimes has the best controls. The GC is never even a consideration unless I can't get something elsewhere or won't be able to for a long time (Resident Evil 4, Animal Crossing, SSBM.). The PS2 remains awesome, although much of the time I prefer the 'Box because it's just a slicker package IMO. But, while the X-Box and PS2 both have a raft of games which make the consoles worthwhile, similar games on the Cubay are very few and far between. (Resident Evil 4, Animal Crossing, SSBM... that's about it.)

So, it does not seem to me as though Nintendo's vaunted capacity for making games instead of consoles is so wonderful. Whilst Sony and Microsoft rely largely on third party groups, and have a good selection of games, Nintendo has a much, much smaller base of games and this is often due to their failure to appeal to third parties. (For example, making the N64 cartridge instead of CD based, and the small discs for the GC.)

Nintendo's innovation can be brilliant. But so can the other groups. For example: Kula World, Intelligent Qube, Katamari Damacy, Ico, and Amplitude. The X-Box doesn't have the same originality, but it does things incredibly well at times instead. EG Halo, sports games, Soul Calibur II.

I do hope this works out well. Of course I do. I'm a gamer, I want to see more games doing more things in more ways. But I have very strong doubts that this will do well.

bipper
09-19-2005, 02:19 PM
I have read several reaviews, and while I think including this controller as the only controler iis a horrible idea, I will still confess it does have a chance.

As for DJzen's defensive comments, I will just say one thing, the public controls weather the machine will sell good or not. Nintendo wants sales, and it seems to me like they are trying too hard to take a risk. (Much like SEGA's marketing did)

I think the nintendo Rev has a lot of good things going for it. I would honestly buy one. I am not crazy for the controler. I will give you that the nintendo controler was different at the time, but it was still close to competitors. This new ... thing - may just cause several people to go with another machine. I still remember people whining about the Game cube controller. I just think nentendo would be better off offering a traditional controler for the system.

I for one am going back and forth between the PS3 and the REvolution. I dont think the xbox 360 has much going for it in comparison to the other machines. That is too bad too, I rather like supporting the American console.

Bipper

edczxcvbnm
09-19-2005, 04:33 PM
I have a question. Why didn't nintendo make a normal controller with the movement thing in it? You would get all your buttons and have a normal controller.

Endless
09-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Because it's not aimed at already-gamers, mostly, I'd say.

Also:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=165

Madame Adequate
09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Because it's not aimed at already-gamers, mostly, I'd say.

Also:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=165

VGCats for the win, but;

I'm starting to see where they're coming from with the getting non-gamers on board idea, and I don't like it. I don't want the Revolution to be a console of minigames - the exact thing I don't like about the DS - but that seems almost inevitably the destination.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-19-2005, 05:16 PM
It's true that the DS's library was host to numerous "glorified tech demos" last year, but times have quickly changed and there are now numerous first-rate games available It's not unlikely that the same thing will happen with the Revolution: development groups will be puzzled at first at what to do with the technology, but then they'll get into it and everything will be gravy.

omnitarian
09-19-2005, 05:18 PM
The DS's "minigame" problem wasn't the fault of the hardware design, but the fact that developers didn't have enough time and resources to develop "complete" games for it. Every system has a patch of "dinky" games that show up right after it's first released... the only problem with the DS was that its dinky games were dinky and silly. I'd certainly like to see someone call Meteos, Advance Wars DS, or any of the big fall titles a "minigame".

As Kishi's article points out:

So when games come out slowly and only appear to be technology demos, I wouldn’t worry too much. A ‘gimmicky game’ is really just another name for a new core game mechanic that hasn’t been polished.

Edit: Kishi beat me to my point. Curse my lneed to spend several minutes articulating my posts!

Tidus Andronicus
09-19-2005, 08:01 PM
If we're going back to which companies should be making consoles, then I say get rid of Nintendo and bring back SEGA.

O_o... so you'd rather kick out the company that started it all... and leave Microsoft, the company that forces computer destributers to put its software on all its computer, in the market... Microsoft really doesn't need another market to screw with. Microsoft was the reason Sega had to leave...

As I said, Microsoft hasn't really introduced anything that new... They just copied the ideas of others... and added more power, so that people will praise them as a good system. I'll admit, in terms of power, the Xbox (not 360) was a good system, and it shows when playing cross platform games. MS waited until everyone else announced their systems, then just took what they saw and add a little power. Xbox live wasn't really anything new/good either, they just used their knowledge of computers and internet to make... Besides, PS2 online still has more users, its just Sony didn't make a big deal out of it, and MS constantly advertized their's.

The main reason MS gets so many developers, is because they offer them more money. Microsoft bought out a lot of game companies, like Bungie, by offering a lot more money than they were getting. Bungie was a MAC game company! Yet MS's money even managed to get them...

Luckly, this time around, the 360 doesn't have anything(hardware wise) over the PS3... Although they will always have those developers that they buy... -.- And of course, now that the pandora's box is open... lots of developers will flock to MS, just because it looks cool.

So I still maintain that Sony, Sega, and Nintendo are probably the best companies to have in the industry. And I wouldn't be complaining about MS... if they weren't who they are...

Back on the topic of the Revolution, yes, minigames are a little silly... and usually nothing more than tech demos... but they are nessisary for getting new kinds of hardware off to a good start.
Oh, BTW, remember Feel the Magic? That was the best minigame for teh DS! ^__^/ And I can't wait for the second one... guess what, Sega made that game!
I'm sure we'll see a few minigames on the Revolution... And probably a lot of early attempts by developers to use the hardware... who knows, it might be good, it might not... Supposedly the Revolution is easy to develope for. =/
Honestly I love the Revolution controller, I think if the games are good, and Nintendo can do this right, the Rev will become a very popular system. Also remember, the Revolution is more than just the controller, there are a lot of other great features.

SomethingBig
09-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Let's not forget that third parties are already excited about the revolution, including the critically acclaimed Hideo Kojima.

LunarWeaver
09-19-2005, 09:55 PM
I love my Gamcube and I even love the usually despised GC controller layout...But I have seen plenty of pictures of the remote stuck in a casing of a normal controller, so I'm sure Nintendo will make "normal" controlled games as well.

My problem is third-party developers. I just don't see many hopping on the bandwagon...But that may not be the case.

I like Nintendo, I really do, but I'm going to have to be cliche and go with the PS3 instead. It seems to me that is the safest bet to get the most software and quality for your money. I'm poor, and I need safe bets.

However, I can almost see future controllers keeping the regular layout and also adding a pointer like sensor at the top but giving you the option to use it. It would give point and click PC games like Diablo or Dungeon Siege a fair chance and make strategy games possible.

Honestly, I hope Sony just rips them off so I can get the regular Playstation controller and the new innovation. No one had a problem ripping off analog sticks or rumble features so who knows.

Madame Adequate
09-20-2005, 01:36 AM
The DS's "minigame" problem wasn't the fault of the hardware design, but the fact that developers didn't have enough time and resources to develop "complete" games for it. Every system has a patch of "dinky" games that show up right after it's first released... the only problem with the DS was that its dinky games were dinky and silly. I'd certainly like to see someone call Meteos, Advance Wars DS, or any of the big fall titles a "minigame".

Rayman, Ridge Racer, Raiden Project, Street Fighter: The Movie, Kileak: The DNA Imperative, NBA Jam Tournament Edition, ESPN Extreme Games, Battle Arena Toshinden. That was the PS1's launch lineup. It was closely followed by games such as Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Loaded, and Theme Park.

I'm hard pressed to call any of those gimmicky.

O_o... so you'd rather kick out the company that started it all... and leave Microsoft, the company that forces computer destributers to put its software on all its computer, in the market... Microsoft really doesn't need another market to screw with. Microsoft was the reason Sega had to leave...

Sorry, where did I say I wanted to kick Atari out of the business? They've produced Civilization III, and Indigo Prophecy. 'Cause I know it's been awhile since the 2600 but they're still alive and kicking. The Atari 5200, the Magnavox Odyssey, and the Colecovision (Just remembered; The Intellivision did as well.) all existed before the Famicom, or for that matter the SG-1000. Hell, PONG was a commerically available product. Nintendo have done a lot for the industry, anyone trying to deny their influence is insane, but the fact is, they didn't start the industry at all. The closest claim they can make to that is working with both Mitsubishi and Magnavox to manufacture the Odyssey in Japan. Five years after the US release.

As to Microsoft - if they were actually bad, they'd fall to pieces. The fact is, my X-Box has held together since I got it. It continues to load faster than anything else I play games on. It continues to have excellent graphics. (Splinter Cell Chaos Theory beats even Resident Evil 4 in my opinion.) It continues to have a wide selection of games which I wish to play. Hence, I want to keep them. Nintendo on the other hand produce some amazingly good games, but only at a rate of about one per aeon.

SEGA certainly weren't helped by the release of the X-Box, but that was more because the PS1 and N64 enjoyed more success than the Saturn and DC did, already causing damage. Then the PS2 was released, and effortlessly wiped out all claims the DC had to being the most powerful machine out. With the Box and the Cubay on the way as well, there wasn't really much chance for them. It is utterly naive to proclaim that one company was solely and entirely responsible for the ousting of another. Also, as Nintendo seem desperate to do, SEGA made some serious blunders in their decisions which crippled them. Specifically, they released the 32X addon for the Mega Drive very shortly before the Saturn and PSX showed up, at a high price; then developers and licensers decided the Saturn was a better possibility. A lesson was learned but the damage was irreversable. Various other errors over time, and an inability to compete with Sony in the fifth and sixth gen eras, all contributed to SEGA's unfortunate downfall.

As I said, Microsoft hasn't really introduced anything that new... They just copied the ideas of others... and added more power, so that people will praise them as a good system. I'll admit, in terms of power, the Xbox (not 360) was a good system, and it shows when playing cross platform games. MS waited until everyone else announced their systems, then just took what they saw and add a little power. Xbox live wasn't really anything new/good either, they just used their knowledge of computers and internet to make... Besides, PS2 online still has more users, its just Sony didn't make a big deal out of it, and MS constantly advertized their's.

And the very reason that World of Warcraft has 4 million worldwide users and has won not only accolades of 'best MMO ever', but some of 'game of the year' and 'best game ever', is not because it does anything especially new or innovative, but because it does things that work and it does them incredibly well. The same holds true for the X-Box. That's why people love Halo. Nobody with an ounce of brains claims it's original, it's not, very few (if any) FPS games are: It's good because it does something people like better than almost everything else out there.

X-Box Live is an amazing sytem, it's not necessarily innovative, it's just good. I cannot see the problems with a company using their expertise in one area to make something work well in another. It is akin to saying Nintendo don't deserve praise for making an awesome Zelda game because they know how to make Zelda games.

The main reason MS gets so many developers, is because they offer them more money. Microsoft bought out a lot of game companies, like Bungie, by offering a lot more money than they were getting. Bungie was a MAC game company! Yet MS's money even managed to get them...

And how many people would have played Halo on a Mac? All three Mac users, possibly! Fact is the deal has been good for Bungie as much as for MS. Also, take a look at Bioware. the X-Box is the only console they develop for: I know barely anybody who dislikes the KOTOR games and even fewer who dislike Jade Empire. Exclusivity is a fact of life, and frankly it's Nintendo who needs it more than anyone else. If it weren't for a handful of killer apps like Metroid, Animal Crossing, and Res 4 I sicerely doubt the GC would be anywhere noteworthy. Meanwhile, the PS2 and X-Box can get along just fine on their wide bases of games, from many developers.

So I still maintain that Sony, Sega, and Nintendo are probably the best companies to have in the industry. And I wouldn't be complaining about MS... if they weren't who they are...

"I wouldn't be complaining about this if it were completely different." Doesn't strike me as the most obtuse of statements. At any rate, I stand by my former comments. My ideal of the 'big three' is Sony, SEGA, and Microsoft. Maybe that's just because I've never been a big Ninty fan, I was always a SEGA baby, but that's the way my opinion falls.

Back on the topic of the Revolution, yes, minigames are a little silly... and usually nothing more than tech demos... but they are nessisary for getting new kinds of hardware off to a good start.

See my opening paragraph for response. Additionally, the PS1's tech demo was of a bigass T-Rex which did very little other than walk on nothing and roar silently. It was awesome. Oh, and there was a manta ray as well. It's better than weird minigames, I assure you.

I'm sure we'll see a few minigames on the Revolution... And probably a lot of early attempts by developers to use the hardware... who knows, it might be good, it might not... Supposedly the Revolution is easy to develope for. =/

Hopefully it will be. Whatever my other comments, I sure as hell DON'T want to see an industry with only two console manufacturers. I most sincerely hope Nintendo pull something great off with this. And it certainly does have potential. But if you take into consideration their stated goals with the Revo, I can't see how you can come to any conclusion other than "Are you sure you don't have a temperature, Yamauchi-san?".

Honestly I love the Revolution controller, I think if the games are good, and Nintendo can do this right, the Rev will become a very popular system. Also remember, the Revolution is more than just the controller, there are a lot of other great features.

But Nintendo themselves are the ones who are drawing so much attention to the controller. Again, I hope that Nintendo do something great here, and that it gets them back into a position of real strength in the industry. I merely have sincere doubts that this will be the case.

On a lighter note, I absolutely love your username. It's even better than my old idea, 'Titus Androgynous', which would probably go to places which even Thailand thinks are illegal.

Tidus Andronicus
09-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Sorry, where did I say I wanted to kick Atari out of the business?
I dont disagree with you on most of what you say... but maybe I should have worded that statement better... We owe a lot to Nintendo cause they were the first really widely excepted home game console (of our generation). My parents had an Atari, and I played it when I was little... but almost none of my freinds had ever played atari... and atari only started the industry, they didn't keep it going, in such a big way that Nintendo did.
The NES is why we can still play video games now. Atari almost killed the market with the crap it put out. NES set the bar for games of today. With out the nes you would be playing sport outside right now.=P

please keep in mind that I was just ranting at 4am when I wrote all that XD... and I just dont like MS... They've never been a good company, and they've done plenty wrong in the computer industry... and thats why I will never give them my money.

Edit: Wow, after really thinking about it... the Revolution is really going to be the FPS king! might even be better than PC! You'll be able to aim so accuratly now and still have great control, even when moving!

Rengori
09-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Of course, we can just turn to VG Cats.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/050919.gif

EDIT: Dammit, some one beat me.

XxSephirothxX
09-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Way to post something that was posted last page. :p
And, please, can we keep this from turning into a Microsoft bashing thread? Whether people like it or not, they're here to stay, and it's not like they're much worse than Sony as a crazy-powerful corporate juggernaut. Like Sony cares about gamers but Microsoft doesn't? Please. They both want money, and they're willing to provide the best content they can to get it.

Lionx
09-20-2005, 02:54 AM
And, please, can we keep this from turning into a Microsoft bashing thread?

Apparently not D: Wheres the 360 thread for pro-xbox anyway?

Fire_Emblem776
09-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Quote:
And, please, can we keep this from turning into a Microsoft bashing thread?

Apparently not D: Wheres the 360 thread for pro-xbox anyway?

personaly i will be so angary if ff gets relesed for their system, but square may need the cash.

Agent Proto
09-20-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm sure edc made a post concerning the position where you can play the Revolution with the controller. In fact, you can play at any angle from the screen: http://www.gamesradar.com/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=37344&subsectionid=2504

JaytodaP
09-20-2005, 08:20 PM
I got a game you can play: Xtreme Channel Changing!

Max
09-20-2005, 08:50 PM

KentaRawr!
09-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Yes! Extreme Channel Changing! Genius. n_n

Most innovative title of our time.

First, you must find Fox News, then Cartoon Network, and finally Noggin.

Seriously though. I think that this could be very good for alot of games. (Like a Tennis game or an FPS, as others have said.) But if it is true that you will be able to put the Remote into a Normal Controller like a VMU, I will probably use that most of the time.

They should probably include the Nunchaku Add-On and the Regular Controller with the entire system, so that people don't find themselves buying different types of controllers.

Gnostic Yevon
09-21-2005, 01:29 AM
I don't like it. The analog portion looks fairly small and easy to loose, especially for the NRev's most likely audience, small children. Secondly, held sideways, the controller is akward. So you'd pretty much have to buy the shell just to have a decent controller. I can't imagine "casual gamers" wanting to shell out $200 for the system, $45+ for each game, and then another $15 for a useable controller. It just seems like a huge hassle. I think "casual gamers" would want to get a system, maybe a game or two, and use it right away.

ljkkjlcm9
09-21-2005, 01:37 AM
I don't like it. The analog portion looks fairly small and easy to loose, especially for the NRev's most likely audience, small children. Secondly, held sideways, the controller is akward. So you'd pretty much have to buy the shell just to have a decent controller. I can't imagine "casual gamers" wanting to shell out $200 for the system, $45+ for each game, and then another $15 for a useable controller. It just seems like a huge hassle. I think "casual gamers" would want to get a system, maybe a game or two, and use it right away.

all right let's look at nintendo history....

The system will definitely be cheaper than Microsoft or Sony's next gen, which means more likely for a casual gamer. The joystick part will be included when you buy the system, so not any extra money. And chances are, like back in the day of say... N64, where the expansion pack was included with DK 64, and the transfer pack for GBC games came with Pokemon Stadium, if you actually need this controller, for a lot of games, it'll be included with one at some point. Who knows, maybe it'll be included with the system at the start, or more likely, as some deal after a few months.

Nintendo has always been the cheapest system, and even with these add ons, it still will be. System probably around 200, the other two probably around 400, there's still 200 dollars you saved, and i think you can spend 15 on a controller add on... Therefore, more geared towards the casual gamer, because not as much of an investment.

THE JACKEL

Excelsior
09-21-2005, 02:35 AM
Wow. If thats what Scott actually thinks, Ive lost all faith in him.

Rengori
09-21-2005, 03:17 AM
Nintendo has always been the cheapest system, and even with these add ons, it still will be. System probably around 200, the other two probably around 400, there's still 200 dollars you saved, and i think you can spend 15 on a controller add on... Therefore, more geared towards the casual gamer, because not as much of an investment.

THE JACKAL
Actually, the xBox 360 and possibly the PS3 are estimated to come out at around $300. Though I can see where you're coming from.

Salmon King
09-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Yes I fear the XBOX 360 and PS3 prices. One of the main reasons I'm getting a Revolution myself, Nintendo has always been cheaper.

Super Christ
09-21-2005, 08:11 PM
That article 'Kishi posted got me thinking - Nintendo *has*, with every system, done something new with the control setup, and it has always been copied. They pretty much invented the D-Pad, something you still see on every controler today even though it isn't used much anymore. They did the shoulder buttons with the SNES. And with the N64, they had the analog joystick, the rumble pack, AND 4 controller ports. All copied. And with the Gamecube, they introduced 1st party wireless controllers, something which both the PS3 and X-Box 360 have, I believe. Granted, I do recall seeing one or two wireless controlers for systems before the Gamecube, but they were all crappy 3rd party ones.

While I wouldn't bet on it, I would not be in the least bit suprised if the PS4 and XBox-whatever had a controller like this. What I would bet on, however, is that they'll copy the motion/position sensing mechanism from the Revolution controller.

JaytodaP
09-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Id probably whack my self in the face trying to act Bruce Lee Style with nunchucks. I dont want to use 2 controlers(Like postioned earlier) to play a game. I dont want to be moving around. It'll be like Eye Toy. That was fun for 5 minutes. I want to lay down and relax and play madden or something. FPS would be so confusing, especially with split screens. Even though the games make or break any system, if you wailing your arms around like an idiot and not knowing which button to push, then your game is a POS waste of 50 bucks. Nintendo will be rolling in dough after you by the four or five attachments you already bought to play. The only developers will be Nintendo cause theyll be the only ones who know how to work it. Its not gonna be "It puts you right in to the action" bullcrap, cause you wont know whats goin on.

Lionx
09-22-2005, 01:43 AM
So i guess the push to VR simulation like .hack wont be accepted then after all if this wouldnt be even given a chance D:

Excelsior
09-22-2005, 05:21 AM
Id probably whack my self in the face trying to act Bruce Lee Style with nunchucks. I dont want to use 2 controlers(Like postioned earlier) to play a game. I dont want to be moving around. It'll be like Eye Toy. That was fun for 5 minutes. I want to lay down and relax and play madden or something. FPS would be so confusing, especially with split screens. Even though the games make or break any system, if you wailing your arms around like an idiot and not knowing which button to push, then your game is a POS waste of 50 bucks. Nintendo will be rolling in dough after you by the four or five attachments you already bought to play. The only developers will be Nintendo cause theyll be the only ones who know how to work it. Its not gonna be "It puts you right in to the action" bullcrap, cause you wont know whats goin on.

so what your saying is, is that this nintendo controller is going to suck because people in general are all going to suck at it? Interesting. Whats more intresting is the fact that you must have some sort of time machine and you already know how its going to turn out, since your presenting all this as fact.

bipper
09-22-2005, 12:57 PM

so what your saying is, is that this nintendo controller is going to suck because people in general are all going to suck at it? Interesting. Whats more intresting is the fact that you must have some sort of time machine and you already know how its going to turn out, since your presenting all this as fact.

90% of the posts here are extremly biased - or prehapse these people do have time machines. If you do happend to have one, please (don't) pm me.

I am excited to see it, but I just think its too different and extreme. It seems really cool for certain games, but not as a mian method of controlling. Now I have read mixed reports that it is the main controller, and others that say that it is a sepreate buy or somthing. What is the final answer on this.

Sides all this, I think having people move around, while zoned into a game causes a ton of hazards to any people or objects standing near by :D Steer clear of mom's favortie lamp...
Bipper

ljkkjlcm9
09-22-2005, 01:38 PM
everyone seems to think you're going to need dramatic movement to make this work, I don't think it's going to be that way. From what I read it's simple wrist movements that do most of it and work it quite fluently. YES, it will be the main controller, and everything else will plug into it. The nunchuck style joystick will be included with the purchase of the system, and as I stated earlier, chances are they'll have some deal where you get the classic controller shell with the system as well. Nintendo has always been the best when it comes to saving money. Also, many third parties are already going into development for the system, including square-enix, so I have no doubt that Nintendo won't be the only ones producing games for it.

THE JACKAL

omnitarian
09-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Don't forget the Gamecube controller ports (http://www.nintendo.com/newsimagelarge?articleid=5aa8631e-d4a0-45d9-a88c-e5931b807091&currentNo=2&page=newsmain).

bipper
09-22-2005, 06:03 PM
everyone seems to think you're going to need dramatic movement to make this work, I don't think it's going to be that way. From what I read it's simple wrist movements that do most of it and work it quite fluently. YES, it will be the main controller, and everything else will plug into it. The nunchuck style joystick will be included with the purchase of the system, and as I stated earlier, chances are they'll have some deal where you get the classic controller shell with the system as well. Nintendo has always been the best when it comes to saving money. Also, many third parties are already going into development for the system, uncluding square-enix, so I have no doubt that Nintendo won't be the only ones producing games for it.

THE JACKAL

Ah cool, thanks for that. As far as the wrist movments goes, I can just see people getting way to into it. As others have said, the hyperactive kids who become beserking, flailing monsters when they get there paws on these games.

I am now stoked about it, with the gamecube controller port, and all the shell comming with the system. Seems like a bunca great moves.

Another question, when you said uncluding square-enix, did you mean included, or are you making up words :D Also, is there any direct news on weather or not final fantasy games (or remakes) (and I mean the main series, no cc etc) will make revolution releases?

Bipper

ljkkjlcm9
09-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Ah cool, thanks for that. As far as the wrist movments goes, I can just see people getting way to into it. As others have said, the hyperactive kids who become beserking, flailing monsters when they get there paws on these games.

I am now stoked about it, with the gamecube controller port, and all the shell comming with the system. Seems like a bunca great moves.

Another question, when you said uncluding square-enix, did you mean included, or are you making up words :D Also, is there any direct news on weather or not final fantasy games (or remakes) (and I mean the main series, no cc etc) will make revolution releases?

Bipper

Now lemme just say that nintendo didn't officially say the main shell would come with the system, but they did say the nunchuck would. It's just with past experience of Nintendo, they'll probably have some deal where it does. Either that or like the expansion pack for the N64 that came with DK64, the first game that completely requires it will come with it.

As far as Sqaure-Enix releasing any FF games, the only ones currently announced are FFCC for the Rev, and FFCC for the DS, however, their exclusive new main series games with Sony is dissipating as can be seen by FFXI on the X-Box, and with all these early FF games going to the portable Nintendo market, it wouldn't surprise me if they might release a main series game on the Rev, but it would have to use the shell cause it'd probably be multi-platform. However, I feel FFCC will take full advantage of this new controller, in some way shape or form, as I'm sure they'll probably produce a number of other different games as well for the system

THE JACKEL

Swordicanus
09-29-2005, 11:48 PM
I don't like the contoller I think Ninty are being too strange and are masking as something "different"......... it looks crap