PDA

View Full Version : Proxy server + web frontend?

Shoeberto
09-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Alright, I spend three periods a day in a class with computers. Unfortunately, the school's connection goes through a proxy that blocks damn near everything (EoFF was even blocked before the server switch) and I'm getting really tired of it.

Here's what I'm wondering: Would it be possible to set up my own proxy, with a web frontend to access sites? Like set up an Apache server in conjunction with the proxy software, and have a page with an input field that takes whatever address I want and then forwards it to me? So rather than it going Me -> School's proxy -> Website, it'd be Me -> School's Proxy -> My proxy -> Website. I remember there being a Japanese site that worked on this same principle until the school's block stopped access to it. Is there any easy way to do this on one of my machines?

Cloud No.9
09-17-2005, 01:59 AM
do it the way i did.

run the first page you go to through the alta vista translator. set it to chinese so it doesn't change anything.

this works because most blocking thingies use the urls and attahced stuff. but this way the only page it continues to read is the translating page.

Shoeberto
09-17-2005, 02:03 AM
That'd work for text, but I don't think I'd have any images or other media from the offending site, since it's still loading directly from the original host. I'd like to have full browsing if it's possible/reasonable.

Cloud No.9
09-17-2005, 02:28 AM
you should still get the images. it worked fine for me at school

bipper
09-17-2005, 05:08 AM
Find out more about the network. Several easy loopholes are httpTunneling, SSH terminal (how i played muds through middle/highschool), connect HTTPS (works for some sites & sometimes when you got to a HTTPS address, the filter will switch off)

Those are the only known exploits I have used. The best way is to find out if what filtering system the server uses, then googlec hacking bess (replace bess with your schools guard :))

Good luck

Shoeberto
09-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Bess is exactly what we have. I didn't even think to do something as simple as that. I figured the only way around was the hard way that I came up with. I'll check Google.