PDA

View Full Version : Who thought of eating this stuff!?!

udsuna
09-17-2005, 02:35 PM
I was thinking of all the things that people consume, for whatever reason. And realized how COMPLETELY INSANE humans are about what qualifies as food. So now I want to compile a list of things that are, somehow, food, but no one in there right mind should have eaten in the first place.

Naturally, standard plant and animal fare, things we learned to eat before becoming our sentient selves, doesn't really count per se.

1. Chocolate... for those who have never eaten a cocoa bean, it looks, smells, and tastes a lot like tree bark. I can understand that someone would try one, fruit is fruit, after all. But to consider it enough of a food that it'd be refined into something edible, who'd have thunk it?

2. Cheese... ok, someone decided to eat the solid portion of spoiled milk. Essentially congealed fat and bacterial agents are the only ingredients in cheese. Again, someone decided to eat this.

3. "Bird's Nest"... in the philippenes, there's a relatively rare bird that builds nests in mountains. They make these nests out of their own spit, they live in them, and then people come along and take these nests and EAT THEM in a soup. It's considered a delicacy, and has been for centuries. It's near impossible to reach these nests on purpose, with proper climbing gear. Yet some pre-european natives did it, then (instead of eating the birds), chose to eat their nest. Which, appearantly, was good.

4. Honey... speaking of gross, at least the above example was made by a vertabrate. WE discovered that the slime coating an insect hive (and a DANGEROUS insect at that) is edible. And good. Despite having bugs crawl in it and eat in, and for that matter excrete it.

5. Mushrooms... generally speaking, humans don't think too highly of eating fungus that grows on animal excrement. Yet, the mushrooms on any standard pizza are raised that way.

So, any thoughts? Or, for that matter, similarly warped examples of human eating habits that just seem wrong.

Rye
09-17-2005, 02:36 PM
I think a lot of those things were accidentally discovered, especially cheese. :)

udsuna
09-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Accidentally discovered, perhaps. But who accidentally puts it in their mouth, chews, and swallows?

Velld Ragnarok
09-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Monkey see, monkey do. Early humans most likely saw an animals eating these things a lot and decided to give it a try. Like bears with honey.

udsuna
09-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Ok, that explains honey. But honey was the EASY one to explain.

We've still got tree-bark flavored beans, congealed milk, bird mucus, and stuff growing on cow /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif.

Meat Puppet
09-17-2005, 02:45 PM
because WE ARE THE SUPERIOR RACE

RPJesus
09-17-2005, 03:24 PM

Exactly why we eat the equivalant in taste of dog crap! Yum!

Meat Puppet
09-17-2005, 03:29 PM

we're above the rest
we can eat WHAT WE WANT

Velld Ragnarok
09-17-2005, 03:37 PM
As comedian Ron White said, "I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots."

DK
09-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Cheese I know was an accident, it was something to do with Shepards in the middle east ages ago, used to carry milk around in the lining of a sheeps stomach for storage, and as it got warm through the day the milk reacted with the enzymes in the stomach and formed a basic cheese, which became food.

Silmaril
09-17-2005, 05:23 PM
I wonder how one eats the bird's nest. With a spoon?

Primus Inter Pares
09-17-2005, 06:03 PM
My bet's on the spork.

Vyk
09-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out"?

Alive-Cat
09-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Youghert is basically the same as cheese, just not as moldy and spoiled.

NeoTifa
09-17-2005, 08:22 PM
i think drinking the juice that comes oyt of an animals titties is disgusting, yet i ate some with my rice krispies this morning. >.>. and i think the eating af cow/pig/chicken fat is disgusting! thats why i always pick at my food. i hate the slimy feeling *gets nausiated*

Odaisé Gaelach
09-17-2005, 08:26 PM
I think I'll stick with a tin of spam and a spoon.

Alive-Cat
09-17-2005, 08:30 PM
They eat monkey brains somewhere. i cant remember where.

NeoTifa
09-17-2005, 08:34 PM
india

udsuna
09-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Well, eating the various parts of animals is no surprise or anything. Hence why I didn't bring up "rocky mountain oysters". I personally think bone marrow is quite tasty.

And animal milk was simply a leap from the idea of breast milk.

rubah
09-17-2005, 09:00 PM
"Oh, bears seem to like honey, perhaps we will too!"

DarknessFromAbove
09-17-2005, 09:05 PM
lol, I was just wondering about the origins of cheese this morning, when I was looking for something to have for breakfast . . . then I decided that I didn't like the idea of milk anymore for some reason O.o yet I continued to pour cream into my coffee . . .

NeoTifa
09-17-2005, 09:08 PM
XD im gonna be a little off topic, but, the way they package and process food is kinda gross. its so unsanitary in some of those factories. you eat like at least 9 cochroaches a year in your food and dont even know it, like 1000 ants, 100 milli bugs, etc, etc. isnt that gross. food that isnt so disgusting acually is.

DMKA
09-17-2005, 09:21 PM
omg racism

-N-
09-17-2005, 10:31 PM
5. Mushrooms... generally speaking, humans don't think too highly of eating fungus that grows on animal excrement. Yet, the mushrooms on any standard pizza are raised that way.There are other kinds of consumable mushrooms, you know. :o

As comedian Ron White said, "I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots.""You can't go three weeks without sleeping with me! I'll sleep with someone else! I know! I've seen me do it!"

udsuna
09-17-2005, 10:34 PM
There are other kinds of consumable mushrooms, you know. :o

Of course, that's why I singled out the specific 'shrooms on pizza. I'm a fan of "sheephead" mushrooms, myself. You find them near old oak trees. And there's this oak forest near where I live.

Zeldy
09-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Mmm Cheese..Mmm Chocolate..

GooeyToast
09-17-2005, 11:22 PM
mmmmm mmmmm feces

Chaos
09-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Sheep eyeballs are a delicay in Arabia I hear.

Mmmmmm yummy.

My boyfriend once came across 'Fried Stick' in a Hong Kong resturant.

Speaking of the weird stuff that people would have to be insane to eat.....Macdonalds anyone?

Chaos

Twisted Tinkerbell
09-19-2005, 01:09 AM
what about seaweed? Who saw that and thought "mmmm, yummie"? Although I like it.

Shlup
09-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Give a stupid guy a dollar and he'll put about anything in his mouth. And then he says "Hey this is good!" and then everyone's like "Dude let me try some!"

Cloud No.9
09-19-2005, 01:19 AM
ever wondered who thought "yeah lets cut down this grass, take the seeds out, grind them, add water and yeast to them and bake it in an oven"?

it's a pretty damn random thing to do.

anyone had haggis. that's the good stuff.

fire_of_avalon
09-19-2005, 02:10 AM
Eggs. I mean wtf. "Hey, look at that thing that animal just pooped out! Let's eat it!"

Spammerman
09-19-2005, 04:27 AM
i think drinking the juice that comes oyt of an animals titties is disgusting, yet i ate some with my rice krispies this morning. >.>. and i think the eating af cow/pig/chicken fat is disgusting! thats why i always pick at my food. i hate the slimy feeling *gets nausiated*
stomachs.not tities.

Big D
09-19-2005, 07:33 AM
2. Cheese... ok, someone decided to eat the solid portion of spoiled milk. Essentially congealed fat and bacterial agents are the only ingredients in cheese. Again, someone decided to eat this.Cow stomachs were once used as storage bags. Some dude in the desert was traisping around with a bag full of milk. It separated out into curds and whey. He was hungry and needed to eat, so he ate the curds. Much to his surprise, it was sweet and tasty. So, everyone came to the logical conclusion: cow stomachs are magical, and turn curdled milk into tasty treats.

That is, so far as anyone knows, the Truth About Cheese.stomachs.not tities.Milk comes from udders. Not stomachs. Udders = mammary glands = "titties"

CaZ!
09-19-2005, 08:32 AM
can i just enquire as to why you find your self superiour as to tel us we shouldn't be eaing things we maybe even (shock horror) LIKE!?!

Reles
09-19-2005, 08:58 AM
can i just enquire as to why you find your self superiour as to tel us we shouldn't be eaing things we maybe even (shock horror) LIKE!?!

No one said we shouldn't be eating anything. This thread was merely pointing out how we could possibly discover these types of foods.

nik0tine
09-19-2005, 09:12 AM

we're above the rest
we can eat WHAT WE WANT
APPLE JACKS!

Primus Inter Pares
09-19-2005, 09:36 AM
I had dinner once

nik0tine
09-19-2005, 09:57 AM
I never understood how people figured out that you can smoke tobacco and marijuana for pleasure. Who the hell comes up with the idea to take a plant, burn it, and inhale the smoke, just for the hell of it?!

udsuna
09-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Well, first, these are both plants native to America. And our indian friends burn just about EVERYTHING. "Smokum peacepipe" indeed. (and, yes, I know that's a bad stereotype. I'm mocking it.)

crazybayman
09-19-2005, 01:36 PM
XD im gonna be a little off topic, but, the way they package and process food is kinda gross. its so unsanitary in some of those factories. you eat like at least 9 cochroaches a year in your food and dont even know it, like 1000 ants, 100 milli bugs, etc, etc. isnt that gross. food that isnt so disgusting acually is.
Meh. Bugs are edible.

If you get caught up in things like that, you actually would probably develop an eating disorder.

As long as my food doesn't become laced with E-Coli (or other fatal bacteria), I'm fine with eating it, no matter where/how its processed.

Plus, if you cook it, that kills all the germs. :p

Captain VooDoo
09-19-2005, 03:06 PM
honey=bee vomit
honey+cheese=puke. :D

Cloud No.9
09-19-2005, 07:36 PM
tobacco needs to be refined before it is smoked. it's actually deadly if taken raw.

you can just totaslly avoid processed food.

udsuna
09-19-2005, 07:39 PM
with E-Coli (or other fatal virus')

Last I checked, E-coli is bacterial. As, for that matter, is almost every disease found in even partially cooked or not-recently-killed foods.

smittenkitten
09-19-2005, 07:43 PM
SEAWEED!!!

DK
09-19-2005, 07:45 PM
2. Cheese... ok, someone decided to eat the solid portion of spoiled milk. Essentially congealed fat and bacterial agents are the only ingredients in cheese. Again, someone decided to eat this.

Cow stomachs were once used as storage bags. Some dude in the desert was traisping around with a bag full of milk. It separated out into curds and whey. He was hungry and needed to eat, so he ate the curds. Much to his surprise, it was sweet and tasty. So, everyone came to the logical conclusion: cow stomachs are magical, and turn curdled milk into tasty treats.

I already explained this :mad2:

And also

Speaking of the weird stuff that people would have to be insane to eat.....Macdonalds anyone?

McDonalds is the greatest hangover food in the world and I won't hear a word otherwise. Nothing like a nutritionless sponge to suck up the crap in your stomach the morning after the night before.

crazybayman
09-19-2005, 07:46 PM
with E-Coli (or other fatal virus')

Last I checked, E-coli is bacterial. As, for that matter, is almost every disease found in even partially cooked or not-recently-killed foods.
You get my point. *goes back to change virus to bacteria*

There's lots of things that many consider disgusting. (Example: OMG, ITS SAYS THIS IS MADE WITH ANIMAL BY PRODUCTS! THAT MEANS COW GUTS AND PIG BRAINS!!! EEEWWWWW!!!!! AND I BET THEY HAVE BUGS IN THE FACTORY WHERE ITS PROCESSED!!! EEWWWWWW!!!!) My point is, (to the post I quoted), as long as its edible, healthy, and not going to harm me or compromise my health, I'll eat it.

Twisted Tinkerbell
09-19-2005, 07:47 PM
SEAWEED!!!

that's what i said! Who the hell discovered that was edible? did someone in all honesty look at it and think mmmm yummie?

Traitorfish
09-19-2005, 07:47 PM

I used to like cheese, until you pointed that out... Thanks a lot, cheese-hater!

udsuna
09-19-2005, 07:54 PM
SEAWEED!!!

that's what i said! Who the hell discovered that was edible? did someone in all honesty look at it and think mmmm yummie?

Let's see you say that after you've been on the ocean for two months, eating nothing but salted meats and... actually, that's it. And it's more salt than meat, as the salt's purpose is to keep bugs out of it.

These people mistook mantatees for mermaids, and saw sea monsters at ever turn. Surely, eating seaweed isn't at all shocking. That it's STILL eaten by some people, that confuses me.

Twisted Tinkerbell
09-20-2005, 10:26 PM
okay, I had sushi the other day (I eat it a lot but that's beside the point) and it made me think of this thread. Octopus tenticals, I mean it still has those little suckery things on it, it sounds gross, it looks worse, but its so good. Who thought, lets nick the little critters tenticals and eat them raw with rice?

Shauna
09-20-2005, 10:34 PM
anyone had haggis. that's the good stuff.

ZOMG! Haggis! Yummy! <3

*sigh* Whoever would have thought Sheep Guts would taste so great? xD

:love:

Sporkeh
09-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Yeah. The percentage of bug parts in food is low though, and it's found in almost every food you eat. And since the parts are so small, the USDA allows it to be sold to the public. o_O;; But I bet it's just like this as with any other country.

Oh well. We gotta have some extra protein in the food, don't we? ;P

(Just like how it's said that you eat like....10 spiders a year or something when you sleep. XD)