crashNUMBERS
09-18-2005, 01:52 AM
Marth get's my vote...

http://sprites.fireball20xl.com/NSA/Icons/fe1_marth.gif

http://sprites.fireball20xl.com/Banners/tsr-fe6.png

Roy come's close...

omnitarian
09-18-2005, 03:32 AM
Based on what? Coolness? Popularity? SSBM Awesomeness?

I chose Roy regardless.

XxSephirothxX
09-18-2005, 03:34 AM
Marth has the speed advantage, but Roy owns him in power and coolness. And for being Eliwood's son.

Skyblade
09-18-2005, 03:49 AM
"Roy's our boy!"

Sorry, but I've only played FE and FE: TSS, the American ones. I only know Marth from SSBM, and I prefer Roy.

crashNUMBERS
09-18-2005, 04:14 AM
FE TSS is FE8 and FE that is nameless for the gameboy Advance is FE7. Roy's from FE6, My favorite FE, and Marth is from FE1...

Wiegrahf42
09-18-2005, 04:15 AM
Going by SSBM? I dunno probably Marth, I think he's faster or something.

Lionx
09-18-2005, 07:01 AM
If you dont know Marth is considered Top Tier by smash players. :P Roy is just god awful.

Skyblade
09-18-2005, 07:17 AM
If you dont know Marth is considered Top Tier by smash players. :P Roy is just god awful.

Are you kidding? Roy's awesome in SSBM.

Lionx
09-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Not kidding, Roy is too slow and too risky compared to Marth and is considered one of the crappiest.

Rengori
09-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Marth

Rase
09-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Marth, though I don't like either much in SSBM.

Ultima Shadow
09-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Roy's a middle tier. Middle tiers are not god awful, bottom tiers are. :p

But Marth's indeed much better if played professionaly and has a lot more potentionals than Roy and I personally prefere Marth in every way. Marth> Roy in range, speed and aerial game. It's harder to sweetspot the tip with Marth than getting a good close range hit with Roy, but being able to strike at full force from a good range is a much bigger advantage. Also, Marth's WD is much better than Roys. Marth's aerial game completely puts Roy to shame. Marth's also better at combos.

In SSBM Marth simply owns Roy. Roy doesn't "suck", though and it's hard to play Marth professionaly. Anyone can be "average" with Marth and Roy but it takes a lot to master them. :cool:

Lionx
09-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Lol maybe i just suck with him(hated how he was always so slow and unable to multi-hit as well), but even so, Roy pales in comparison to Marth in almost every single way.

Ultima Shadow
09-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Fair enough. :p But more than anything else, it depends on how they are played. Even though Marth has a big advantage over Roy, it doesn't mean that a Marth player automatically will win every battle against a Roy player. After all... it depends more on skill than anything else. I would say that Roy's an average character. His ground tilts are pretty good and his smashes, if you actually manage to get a good hit with them, are very powerful (but if you play against a good player, it may be hard to hit with Roy's relatively slow smashes). His B moves kinda suck, except Sword Dance which is pretty hard to pull off. Sure, Roy's counter has potentional to be extremely powerful. However... the duration where you actually can counter is ridicolously short while the lag time is very long. So if you fail to counter, you're left vournable for a good hit. The most horrible thing about Roy, though, is that his air attacks are among the worst, if not THE worst in the entire game. This, and Marth's speed advantage, is what truely makes Marth so much better since Marth has among the BEST aerial attacks in the entire game. And since speed and air attacks are vital for good combos...

Yeah, well... Marth owns Roy. End of discussion. xD :p

ps: By the way... what characters do you play has, linox? :greenie:

Craig
09-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I don't play as either so I'm going to choose Roy because he has a BIG EXPLOSION.

Ultima Shadow
09-18-2005, 12:23 PM
I don't play as either so I'm going to choose Roy because he has a BIG EXPLOSION.
Which is impossible to hit with as long as you don't play against a CPU or a complete idiot. :p

Marth's Sheild Breaker is actually much better than Roy's Flare Blade since its power increases faster, it's more powerful in the very begining of the charge and it's very good at... yeah... "breaking sheilds". Just hitting with a completely uncharged Sheil Breaker on a sheilding character will almost annilate the sheild immediately.

Maxico
09-18-2005, 01:51 PM
WOW, it's just like being on GameFaqs.

Doomie
09-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Which is impossible to hit with as long as you don't play against a CPU or a complete idiot. :p

Or in a four player battle with someone looking the other way.

In SSBM, I'll take Ganondorf over Zelda all the way. (Though I won't leave her as Zelda for long, Sheik for me, kthx. I will also take Roy over Marth. His Strength makes up for his lack of speed, and I spent quite a while mastering Roy's Counter attack making it quite useful for me in battle.

crashNUMBERS
09-18-2005, 02:21 PM
I was talking about Fire Emblem wise but I guess you can fit SSBM. And Roy has a stronger (Way stronger) charge B attack (Or whatever) but it's too damn slow. Anyone can predict another that they're about to use it. It's only good when someone's about to jump on you or something. Oh wait. Still too long. Roy is way better in Fire Emblem 6 even if it's a turn based game...

Tifa's Real Lover(really
09-18-2005, 03:31 PM
all i know is tht i can use either of them but marth has tht lil more power in his sword, even tho roy has fire in his :cool: but i perfer both, but marth is 10% better

Ultima Shadow
09-18-2005, 03:51 PM

In SSBM, I'll take Ganondorf over Zelda all the way. (Though I won't leave her as Zelda for long, Sheik for me, kthx. I will also take Roy over Marth. His Strength makes up for his lack of speed, and I spent quite a while mastering Roy's Counter attack making it quite useful for me in battle.
But even then it takes a lot of pure luck if you actually want to connect with the explosion. 90% of the times it's not completely charged when you release it. And I actually almost only use the charged Flare Blade/Sheild Breaker for edgeguarding anyways. :greenie:

I almost only use Ganondorf for 4 player battles. He's a bit too slow for my taste when it comes to 1 VS 1 (he's still ok, though). But in 4 player battles he's da bomb! :cool: Also... doomie... did you know that you can start out as Sheik instead of Zelda? Simply press down the A button when the stage is loading and don't release it until the battle screen appears. You'll start out as Sheik immediately. :cool:

While Roy's strength may make up a bit for his lack of speed, it still doesn't make up for his lack of power in aerial attacks. Roy's counter IS indeed very powerful if you time it correctly and are countering a powerful move, but just keep in mind that you can't counter grabs and that you shouldn't use it too often. If the counter becomes predictable, you're screwed since your openent will just have to wait for you to do the counter instead of attacking and then charging a smash on you or something like that. Use the counter as a suprise attack and when your openent least expect it. :cool:

Skyblade
09-18-2005, 05:10 PM

No, that's when you grab Jigglypuff, walk up and go to sleep. :D

True, Roy is a terrible midair combatant. So play with him on the ground, or use items to compensate for it.

Dreddz
09-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Roy > Marth

Cruise Control
09-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Marth is Pimp

Black Mage
09-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Marth wasn't only in FE1, he was in FE3, a remake of FE1 for the SNES.

In SSBM Marth is my character of choice. His speed, air-game, and with some mixed in wave dashing, he's a tough character to play against.

ljkkjlcm9
09-18-2005, 06:12 PM
I think we should note that Roy is stronger with the middle of his sword, and Marth with the tip, which also makes it safer to do more damage with Marth, however I still prefer Roy

THE JACKEL

Lionx
09-18-2005, 06:40 PM
I like to use Marth, Link(bomb hop!), and sometime learn other characters. I am still quite a newb compared to my puerto rican friend who is a $#@%^ with Fox. He is way better than me(i play CvS2 more), but that doesnt mean i am not learning. ^^; Gotta start somewhere, his skill inspired me to try Smash more than a party game(even though i know it can be more i never bothered til now xD).

DJZen
09-18-2005, 09:05 PM
He owns you with Fox because Fox is cheap, but not as cheap as Falco. Falco is just plain broken. Just like Mars, which is why Mars wins.

Skyblade
09-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Kirby and Jigglypuff are the uber-powerful characters. I can smack down anyone with Kirby.

BTW, should we get back on topic, or change this to a SSBM thread? :P

Also, how are the FE games related in terms of storylines? I knew of Roy and Marth from SSBM when I first played FE7, and Roy showed up there, so I thought that they may have been connected somehow, but then TSS involved a totally new continent. Are the plotlines of the various FE games related?

crashNUMBERS
09-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Roy = FE6
Elliwood (Roy's father) = FE7
Marth = FE1 and 3 as BM said...

Ultima Shadow
09-19-2005, 06:50 AM
He owns you with Fox because Fox is cheap, but not as cheap as Falco. Falco is just plain broken. Just like Mars, which is why Mars wins.Falco's only better than fox on Final Destenation.

Kirby and Jigglypuff are the uber-powerful characters. I can smack down anyone with Kirby.

BTW, should we get back on topic, or change this to a SSBM thread? :P
I'm sure your kirby don't stand a chanse against my Sheik, Marth, C.Falcon or Ganondorf. :p

The later option. :D

ps: I'll be on europe's greatest smash tourney in January 2006. :cool:

Skyblade
09-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Kirby can defeat anyone. He's the most well rounded and versatile character in the game, without even taking his swallowing abilities into account. He has awesome throws, excellent midair attacks, surprisingly powerful jumps, and the game's best recovery ability. I could whoop your Ganondorf, Falco, Sheik, or Marth. Guaranteed. Kirby is the uber-powerful butt-kicker of the game.

Lionx
09-20-2005, 01:24 AM
No Jigglypuff and Peach have better recovery. Even link does.

Black Mage
09-20-2005, 01:33 AM
Kirby was "crazy good" in the original Smash Brothers, but has been since toned down to near uselessness.

Salmon King
09-20-2005, 01:45 AM
I don't care for either Marth or Roy. I used to use them both, but I'll use Link if I want to be using a sword (and for the range weapons), thank you very much.

Luigi is god in SSBM. Luigi Cyclone wreaks havoc in 4 player bouts, and so does up+B. The rocket move is great for recovery, the only times I can die is if im star-KOed or smashed hard when in a high %. And not to mention the wavedashing (look it up if you don't know what it is). The ground attacks are good, but the aerial attacks are where it's at, thanks to the hovering bit Luigi does.

Luigi > your character of choice

Tifa's Real Lover(really
09-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Kirby was "crazy good" in the original Smash Brothers, but has been since toned down to near uselessness.
yep, he was my favorite in the original, link just sucked in tht one

Salmon King
09-20-2005, 02:06 AM
Yes I'll agree Kirby was good in the original, but I know the reason why.

The meteor smash. It could be pulled off easily and quickly.

I used Ness in the original, and Lord Chainsaw can testify as a witness how crazy I could be with Ness's meteor smash. (meteor smash into the ground 3-6 times, followed by the bat FTW)

Cruise Control
09-20-2005, 02:16 AM
Links recovery is teh Shizzle!

Salmon King
09-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Links recovery is teh Shizzle!

Silly goose, everyone knows Hyruleans can't jump.

Lionx
09-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Thats why they bomb jump.

Salmon King
09-20-2005, 03:03 AM
Never tried the bomb jump. I always figured it'd be too late by the time the bomb detonated on hand to allow for an extra spin attack.

Skyblade
09-20-2005, 07:28 AM
What is this "bomb jump" of which you speak? I thought that was one of Samus' skills...

Also, while I agree Kirby was nerfed in SSBM, he's still among the game's top characters.

Lionx
09-20-2005, 08:02 AM
you can gain extra height and distance with this move, you basically take out a bomb, throw it up on yoru double jump, then spin attack up INTO the bomb itself detonating it and making you able to do the special move again.

Bomb Jumping: Samus can actually jump using her Bombs to propel her. She cannot stay in the air indefinitely, but it is very useful as a recovery. Basically, after being knocked off the stage, lay a bomb, fall a little, lay another bomb(causing you to stall long enough for the first bomb to explode), then push the control stick in the direction you wish to go (DI), then repeat the process. Samus can also grapple the stage when she gets close enough. Link also has the ability to bomb jump, but it is not quite as effective and much more difficult to pull off. Basically once you’re off the edge (from being hit), pull a bomb out, throw it, and proceed to jump and up B, if you do it correctly then the bomb will blow up on you and you will be able to perform another up B move.

You can go from the center stage of oldschool Yoshi's Island to the FAR edge cloud using Link's bomb jump. You can also seemingly go up alot higher than previously thought of and out of sticky situations especially with good hookshot control(which i am working on ><).

As for Tiers this is the only tier list that i feel is accurate and up to date:

Tier List

Intro: Alot of people ask about the tier list, so here it is. Just for a note though, do not make topics regarding the tier list, they will (99% of the time) be closed (For new people especially, PM me if you have any questions). Trust me, if you have a problem with this list (say the Ice Climbers placement), it is already known. If you think tiers in general are false, go to gamefaqs, cause that arguement will get closed here for sure. Ohh, and the link to the topic from March 19th, 2005:
Tier Topic

Top Tier
Sheik
Fox
Marth

Upper Tier
Peach
Falco
C. Falcon
Samus

High Tier
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario
Ice Climbers

Middle Tier
Luigi
Link
Roy
DK
Pikachu
Zelda

Lower Tier
Ness
Young Link
Yoshi
Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser

Bottom Tier
Mewtwo
Pichu

Fire_Emblem776
09-20-2005, 08:20 AM
marth is hot hot hot! :love:

Rostum
09-20-2005, 08:25 AM
I sucked at the original but it was loads of fun. I haven't played the second one and that makes me cry.

Jack
09-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Marth

Samuraid
09-20-2005, 10:14 AM
http://www.deviantart.com/view/16824103/

Black Mage
09-20-2005, 04:04 PM
He owns you with Fox because Fox is cheap, but not as cheap as Falco. Falco is just plain broken. Just like Mars, which is why Mars wins.

Is Mars what the Fire Emblem community calls him? To my understanding, which only consists of playing a couple of hours into the Japanese FE1 and FE3, as well as Super Smash Brothers Melee, Marth is just as logical a name as Mars, based on the katakana.

If I recall, it is マルス (Marusu). I prefer Marth, personally.

Ultima Shadow
09-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Kirby can defeat anyone. He's the most well rounded and versatile character in the game, without even taking his swallowing abilities into account. He has awesome throws, excellent midair attacks, surprisingly powerful jumps, and the game's best recovery ability. I could whoop your Ganondorf, Falco, Sheik, or Marth. Guaranteed. Kirby is the uber-powerful butt-kicker of the game.Almost nothing you said is true. To begin with, I would say Sheik is the most well rounded character in the game. Kirby's swallowing ability is easily punished and has som lag time. Mewtwo, Zelda, C.Falcon, Mario, Doc, Sheik, Ganon and many others have far better throws than Kirby. Either in power or combo ability. Kirby has "good" midair attacks but far from the best, thus far from being considered "excellent". As linox already stated, both Peach and Jiggly have far better recoveries than Kirby.

I would like to battle your Kirby with my Sheik, Marth and Ganondorf. I'm sure you wouldn't consider your Kirby all that powerfull after that. :D

http://www.deviantart.com/view/16824103/xD!

Another thing to notice, is that a good C.Falcon actually is 1 of Marth's absolutely toughest matchups. :greenie:

Tifa's Real Lover(really
09-20-2005, 04:22 PM
but i can still beat u

Ultima Shadow
09-20-2005, 04:35 PM
but i can still beat uI really, really doubt that. :)

ps: skyblade... I don't say that Kirby's a bad character. But he's far from being the uber-powerful butt-kicker of the game. There's people who can kick serious ass with him, though.

Also... something to notice about the tiers is that a Fox will not necessarily kick a Bowser's butt just because he's top tier and Bowser is bottom. For actually being able to be placed into tiers, the characters in SSBM are increddibly even. And some characters are better at countering others, thus making some middle tiers stand a better chanse against a top tier than another top tier etc. It's possible to own with every character......... except Pichu. xD! :p

Skyblade
09-20-2005, 07:02 PM
but i can still beat uI really, really doubt that. :)

ps: skyblade... I don't say that Kirby's a bad character. But he's far from being the uber-powerful butt-kicker of the game. There's people who can kick serious ass with him, though.

Also... something to notice about the tiers is that a Fox will not necessarily kick a Bowser's butt just because he's top tier and Bowser is bottom. For actually being able to be placed into tiers, the characters in SSBM are increddibly even. And some characters are better at countering others, thus making some middle tiers stand a better chanse against a top tier than another top tier etc. It's possible to own with every character......... except Pichu. xD! :p

I am one of the ones who is really good with Kirby. Maybe in terms of damage done and available moves, he's not the best character. But he is powerful as hell in the hands of someone who knows how to use him. He isn't tops in anything, but I think he's better than average for most of his attacks, and while he may not have the infinite returnability of Jigglypuff, Peach, and (apparently) Link, he can come back from the farthest edges of the screen safely. He has decent abilities all around, except ranged combat, and specials for every situation. I am a master of Kirby. Maybe he isn't the most powerful character in the game, but he's powerful when used properly.

Actually, I think the game's most dangerous character is Giant Jigglypuff. Among normal sized enemies Giant Jigglypuff is powerful as heck, especially since Rest's damage zone is increased.

Pichu is ok against the computer, but he sucks against a normal player. He's too frelling light, and he damages himself. Bad combination there.

Ultima Shadow
09-20-2005, 09:43 PM
I am one of the ones who is really good with Kirby. Maybe in terms of damage done and available moves, he's not the best character. But he is powerful as hell in the hands of someone who knows how to use him. He isn't tops in anything, but I think he's better than average for most of his attacks, and while he may not have the infinite returnability of Jigglypuff, Peach, and (apparently) Link, he can come back from the farthest edges of the screen safely.Any character is powerfull as hell in the hands of someone who really knows how to use them. :p

Anyways... there's only 3 things that I think Kirby really lacks. His move speed both on ground and in the air, though his controll over aerial movement kinda makes up for the aerial speed. And no, by aerial speed I don't mean his falling speed. I mean that he travels upwards and diagonally very slowly. And the fact that he's a bit on the slow side when it comes to movement means that...

His combo ability is a bit limmited. He have many fast attacks, but many of them lacks the ability to be followed up by another move before the openent gets a chanse to counter or escape.

And 3th... he's not good at dodging attacks in any other manner than aerial movement. Hit sidestep, dodgeroll and wave dash are all pretty bad.

And 1 last thing... both Kirby and Link are much, much easier to edgeguard than Peach and Jiggly.

Now... let me finish this by saying a few good things about Kirby for a change. :p

He's easy to controll, has much more aerial possibilities than most other characters, save Jiggly and Peach. It's pretty easy to play defensively with him and as long as he's a pretty good bit above the edge, he's extremely hard to edge guard.

I am a master of Kirby. Maybe he isn't the most powerful character in the game, but he's powerful when used properly.Well... what do YOU consider a master?

Actually, I think the game's most dangerous character is Giant Jigglypuff. Among normal sized enemies Giant Jigglypuff is powerful as heck, especially since Rest's damage zone is increased.Giant Jigglypuff is not a character. It's just a Jigglypuff under the effect of a max mushroom. And to be completely honest, I actually think a Giant Marth is more dangerous because of the insane range of all his attacks. The giant effect shouldn't be considered when characters comparing characters strength's and weaknesses. I could just as well say that the most dangerous character is a giant Marth who's under the effect of cloaking device, bunny hood and invurnability star. :D

Actually... I never take items into consideration when comparing characters since I hardly ever play with Items. And when I do, I have healing items, max mushrooms, mini mushrooms, stars, metal boxes, red shells, cloaking device and hammers all turned off. And I either have the items on very low, low or in a few cases medium. :greenie:

Pichu is ok against the computer, but he sucks against a normal player. He's too frelling light, and he damages himself. Bad combination there.And computers doesn't ever count since thay are so incredibly stupid. :cool:

...And yes, I love this thread. ;)

Salmon King
09-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Yeah I really don't understand the point of Pichu, other than being the character one uses in Training to plant 10 Bob-ombs on at 999%. He just leeches on Pikachu's popularity, and wastes a space that could've been for another Pokemon (I wanna use Snorlax :( ) or character.

I never play with items unless I'm playing against the CPU or for fun against someone else. When I play seriously, I have to take items off.

XxSephirothxX
09-20-2005, 11:25 PM
I just want to say that I love reading this thread. It makes me want to go practice Smash Bros., except I know that I'll probably never be good enough to beat a few of you (US and lionx, anyway). I started with Fox, but wasn't used to his speed enhancement from the original, so switched to Young Link, who I used quite a bit. Now, I'm once again a Fox player, but I seem to have lost my skill and can't get it back. I used to tototally own all my friends, but now, in the rare events that I play, I barely win or come in 2nd or 3rd. :( It's still a super fun game. I liked playing as Roy, but didn't do it that much because I'm more of an aerial attacker, and his jump/recovery moves just suck. I'm surprised Marth is so much better.

Doomie
09-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Saying im bettur den u will get you absolutely nowhere. What we need to do is fly down to wherever the smurf you live and play against you. Other than that, you are wasting time. I also love Shads because the three characters he uses are the three characters I use, Sheik being the one I use the most.

FUN FACT: When I started the game, Kirby was the first level 9 computer character I beat. :)

Ultima Shadow
09-20-2005, 11:49 PM
I just want to say that I love reading this thread. It makes me want to go practice Smash Bros., except I know that I'll probably never be good enough to beat a few of you (US and lionx, anyway). I started with Fox, but wasn't used to his speed enhancement from the original, so switched to Young Link, who I used quite a bit. Now, I'm once again a Fox player, but I seem to have lost my skill and can't get it back. I used to tototally own all my friends, but now, in the rare events that I play, I barely win or come in 2nd or 3rd. :( It's still a super fun game. I liked playing as Roy, but didn't do it that much because I'm more of an aerial attacker, and his jump/recovery moves just suck. I'm surprised Marth is so much better.Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's addicted to this thread. :D

As long as you keep practising, you'll be able to get better. A good way to train is to go to training mode and try out all the moves of your character. Then you can try to train your ability to do air combos by hitting the oponent into the air and then trying to keep it in the air until you eventually can do an aerial finisher etc. Then, once you feel that you're good enough at it, set the oponent to "evade" and then try to both do the same aerial combo, and just simply hit the oponent until you can finish it without having it escape from you even once.

The best way to train, though is to simply play against other human players. If you want, I can send you a few tips and tricks trough PM. :D

Saying im bettur den u will get you absolutely nowhere. What we need to do is fly down to wherever the smurf you live and play against you. Other than that, you are wasting time. I also love Shads because the three characters he uses are the three characters I use, Sheik being the one I use the most.

FUN FACT: When I started the game, Kirby was the first level 9 computer character I beat. :)
Yeah, that's right. I actually wish I could meet some of you and play some SSBM against you. That would be so awesome. :cool:

I love you too, doomie! xD