PDA

View Full Version : Videogames and Movies (Advent Children specifically)

raskerino
09-20-2005, 09:14 PM
I really enjoyed advent children but their became too much fighting without saying enough or developing enough the characters. Which brought me to thinking about storyline advantages a game has for a movie:

1. Their is much more time to develop a subtle storyline within a game and develop the characters.

2. Having more time with the characters you love them much more in game than in movie.

Throughout the game while I didn't feel that the characters were too different from the originals, what I did feel was their wasn't enough depth in them. As it was a different story than 7 I treated the characters as mostly different people especially when they had no character within Advent Children. Barret, Cait Sith, Red 13, Yuffie, Cid- all got absolutely no development, I know it's a movie but did the lack of truly in depth characters feel shallow to anyone but me? Clous was OK for me and Tifa was good (though even they weren't developed really well) and Rude and Reno were OK too. But Kadaj is a new enemy who wasn't really developed into an opponent I could care about. He wasn't a 'bad guy' I could connect with or like which is one thing the FF series usually gets me to do. Sephiroth felt shallow compared to a character who had so perfectly connected to the other characters in FF7. I could go on... I did like what they did with Rufus though.

And while I probably sound really negative I'm not someone who hated this, I really enjoyed it. The graphics were beautiful to watch, the story was fine and the characters were good, a little more fighting than I would have liked for a movie but still very good.

Yes I did just say the characters were good- and I think they were given the premise of being a movie and having space taken by fighting.

So what is this thread about?

I guess two topics;

One is the advantages games have over movies in story and characters (not neccasarily always but Advent Children is a good example of what I mean).

And connecting to it kind of how this relates to Advent Children and FF7.

I've tried to discuss both of these topics above and hope if anyone reads this and responds it's on topic cause I think it's interesting...

Jippedo
09-22-2005, 09:07 AM
[!]OMG you just wasted precious moments of my life reading that ridiculously horrible mass of words you call a post. Here's my two ideas
1. I don't know if you missed the memo but there already was game that did just fine developing the characters.
2. This movie was made for fans of the game who wanted more of the story, what happens to cloud, tifa, barret etc.
Not for stupid geeky anime nerds like you who think that they know about anything beyond the internet and your computer screen.

Warmest Regards,
Jippedo[/!]

We don't say things like this to other members. Don't do it again.

~Void