PDA

View Full Version : Sound problem.. missing drivers?

Udon
09-22-2005, 10:07 AM
I had a pc reformat. It seems that I'm missing my sound driver. The problem is I don't have the cd to install it. Is there any other way?

Samuraid
09-22-2005, 11:08 AM
If you bought a pre-built computer (like Dell, HP, etc...) you can often go to the manufacturer's website, browse to the support/drivers section, enter your computer model number, and download whatever drivers you need.

If you built your own machine, go to the website for your soundcard manufacturer. If you are using integrated sound (most likely), check the website for your motherboard manufacturer for integrated sound drivers.

Udon
09-23-2005, 04:25 AM
How do I find the name of my sound card? It says 'audio media controller' and 'pci direct output' missing.

Samuraid
09-23-2005, 05:45 AM
Sounds like you need to find the motherboard in your computer instead...either that or look for a driver on the website of your computer manufacturer.

Udon
09-25-2005, 06:12 AM
Is there a website that tells me the name of the driver I'm missing?

Samuraid
09-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Ya, the original manufacturer's website. ;)

For example, say you had a Dell Dimension 5100. You would go to www.dell.com, click on the "Service and Support -> Drivers & Downloads" on the website menu.

You would then choose "Dimension 5100" as your product model.

Next you would select your operating system, for example: Windows XP, and click the "Find Downloads" button.

The next page would contain a complete list of drivers for all the components of your computer. You could click on any drivers you needed.

Websites for other computer manufacturers are very similar.

If it's hard to find the driver, post your computer manufacturer here ("Dell", "HP", etc...) and the model number, and I will find the driver for you. :)