PDA

View Full Version : Piano Lessons

Dr.K
09-22-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm probably gonna start taking piano lessons pretty soon, and would be really grateful if anyone having lessons at the moment, or who has had piano lessons before could just give me some insight as to how tutors (generally, of course) conduct their teaching, for instance: -

a.) Is it imperative you have your own piano? (Silly I know, I'm gonna buy one if needs be - just wanna make sure)
b.) What pieces they started you off on, and what kind of things they taught you in your first few lessons.
c.) How does a standard, new piano cost? How much did yours cost if you own one?

I'm quite good on music theory, I basically need to get the pianist technique though.
Thanks for any help.

Rye
09-22-2005, 08:22 PM
You need a large keyboard, but when you get very advanced, you need a piano. It's better to get a piano if you're committed, because I have trouble playing on a keyboard because the sound and keys are different.

I learned Symphony 9 in my first lesson, pretty simple. Then I learned Yankee Doodle and some other simple songs.

Good luck with them! :)

Such Great Heights
09-22-2005, 08:22 PM
I took piano lessons years ago, and never stuck with it (saxophone, please) but yes, you do really need your own piano unless perhaps you're a college student with access to some sort of music center piano-but still, it's obviously best to get your own.

Little Miss Awesome
09-22-2005, 08:24 PM
I can't actually give you much advise apart from saying have fun and practise a lot :D I would love to play the piano, you are really lucky!

boris no no
09-22-2005, 08:31 PM
i would advise you get a piano/good keyboard to practise on
you cannot get good by just going to lessons, you need to practise at least twice a week
good pianos are reasonabley priced, theres a lasrge range of prices but you can get cheap ones that need work on for a few hundred pounds (this is the lower end of the range...second hand)
i actually son't play the piano myself, flute player me :D but i have friends that do :p
but yeah
i wouldn't TOTALLY go on my price though :p i may be WAAAAAAAAAAAY off :)

crazybayman
09-22-2005, 08:35 PM
I took lessons. From Grade 1 to grade 8. You need to practice almost every day, so yeah you'll need your own piano, or at least a big, piano-size keyboard at first. Like Rye said, you'll need a piano at some point, as there's a tremendous difference between even the best keyboards and an actual piano.

Chances are, you won't spend too much time learning modern music. You will learn some, but not a lot. Instead, for the most part it'll be simple tunes like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star at first, and Sonatinas other classical music as you get more advanced, and other music that allows you to see the theory you've learned applied in music composition. And yes, you'll learn lots of theory. At least, that's what I was taught. I got sick of it after 7 years, and picked up the guitar. Although it wouldn't surprise me if I got back into the piano again, sometime down the road.

Samuraid
09-22-2005, 08:39 PM
You must have a piano (or very nice keyboard) as you will need to practice a lot...like 6-7 times a week.

Piano starts out with very very basic stuff. It may seem boring and very monotonous, but it's essential to learning more advanced stuff. Be very patient while learning, the process can take a lot of hard work with little results at times.

A real piano can be very expensive, as can a good full-size keyboard. If you find yourself short of funds, you can see if someone you know has a piano that you could use for practicing. Also check your school to see if they have a music department/room with a piano you could use for practicing during the day.

Yamaneko
09-22-2005, 09:04 PM
software synth + midi controller = not as expensive :D

Old Manus
09-22-2005, 10:00 PM
It's Keethoven

rubah
09-22-2005, 11:15 PM
We got our piano used for $800. It's an upright Whitney and this was nearly ten years ago.

my piano teacher was a lady who is our neighbor now, and it was $32 for once a week for an hour each month.

I stopped taking lessons before I finished the book series we worked out of-- I had stopped practicing and got burnt out I guess, but I can still play and play a lot now recently.

I wouldn't get a keyboard. *I* want one, but that's just because using my mom's laptop to record music and having to manually enter MIDI is so much trouble xD

Midori
10-06-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm going to school for piano and I have a few songs I am determined to learn how to play. I am aware that it might take me a very long time, but I am more than ready to put in the effort. The only problem is that I am jobless ={ I have a chance to work as a PA for major movie productions but it takes all of my morning and afternoon. Sadly enough, my piano class is between (9:40am-11:15am) and work if 5 days a week from 7am to 5pm. Anyway, I was hoping for any advise as of how to be able to learn a not so much faster way, but more of a better way at understanding music theory. Oh and one of the songs that I am dying to learn how to play is (FFVII Battle Theme) <----yeah I know!!! goodluck right!? lol Its just wishful thinking at the moment.

Dignified Pauper
10-06-2005, 04:36 AM
a good keyboard with weighted keys = perfection. You'll spend in the upper hundreds low thousand mark for one though.

Optium
10-06-2005, 04:58 AM
I played for years on a crappy Casio with no touch sensitivity, and missing
like 4 octaves. I got a new keyboard that's only missing 1 octave, but
still the keys aren't weighted, on Christmas of last year. Just a month ago
I aquired an actual piano from a friend who passed away.

Basically, if you're commited, all you need is a few keys at first. If you
want to be able to HAVE FUN while you're practicing, I'd suggest getting a
good piano. If it sounds good you can start to improvise like crazy and
then you end up practicing without actually practicing.

Good luck though. Even if you stop taking lessons a couple months into it
like I did, keep practicing on your own (Nobuo Uematsu songs are good to
learn) and in time you'll really get the hang of it.

.opt

Rainecloud
10-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I struggled learning Piano with my Keyboard. Certain things just aren't the same.

You could see it as a big challenge, I guess. Good luck.

Monster Hunt
10-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Umm... well if your going to have a piano lesseons you at least need a keyboard to practise on. In the first few lessons I learnt stuff like hand position and simple stuff like the short and easy version of "ode to joy" and "raining cats and dogs (all you have to do is the notes like this= cdcdcdcdcdcd!)". Unfortunately I don't know prices... my piano i've got is acctually my landlady's! But i've got a mini organ and a keyboard and and other instuments like the recorder to practise the notes on!

Anyway if you decide to take the lessons good luck and have fun!

Rye
10-08-2005, 03:31 PM
I struggled learning Piano with my Keyboard. Certain things just aren't the same.

You could see it as a big challenge, I guess. Good luck.

Same. I hate having to practice with a keyboard.

Slothy
10-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Like any instrument (and as others have already said) you need something to practice on. Even a cheaper keyboard that doesn't feel the same as a Piano is better than nothing. I started out on a pretty cheap set of drums with pretty low quality hardware for example. Eventually I reached the point where things like my bass drum pedal being low quality were holding me back, but I still learned a lot and developed a lot of valuable techniques and abilities on that kit, even if it wasn't the same as playing on a kit that cost thousands, and where every piece of hardware is made so you can play your best.

Everybody has to start somewhere, and personally I think getting along with cheaper gear at first is a better idea than buying a fairly expensive keyboard or piano out of the gate. You'll appreciate the good stuff more when you eventually buy it, and if you don't stick with it, you aren't out too much money.

Monster Hunt
10-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Like any instrument (and as others have already said) you need something to practice on. Even a cheaper keyboard that doesn't feel the same as a Piano is better than nothing. I started out on a pretty cheap set of drums with pretty low quality hardware for example. Eventually I reached the point where things like my bass drum pedal being low quality were holding me back, but I still learned a lot and developed a lot of valuable techniques and abilities on that kit, even if it wasn't the same as playing on a kit that cost thousands, and where every piece of hardware is made so you can play your best.

Everybody has to start somewhere, and personally I think getting along with cheaper gear at first is a better idea than buying a fairly expensive keyboard or piano out of the gate. You'll appreciate the good stuff more when you eventually buy it, and if you don't stick with it, you aren't out too much money.

:eek: ! That's basically the best way to explain it! :D

CaZ!
10-10-2005, 02:13 PM
i have piano lessons and i love them they are realy fun its really good that you are starting up it gives you a real thrill and understanding in music.

Shadowflare
10-11-2005, 02:23 AM
I've been taking lessons since I was 5. My mom is a music teacher, so I couldn't escape the clutches the music world.

a.) Is it imperative you have your own piano?
It helps immensely, but a small 88-key keyboard also suffices. So long as you can practice.

b.) What pieces they started you off on, and what kind of things they taught you in your first few lessons.
The basic fundamentals of music. Nothing technical or complicated, just the simple stuff you need to start out. There are a few exercises you'll have to do each day in the name of coordination and warm-up, and there will be some simple songs for you to practice reading music.

c.) How does a standard, new piano cost? How much did yours cost if you own one?
I have no idea. For me, it was free. You can pick up a decent keyboard however in the hundreds. I have a couple.

Optium
10-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Oh and if you want an actual piano, just check the classified ads. Rent a
truck or get a big pickup and a bunch of strong cousins, and check out the
ads. People give them away for free because they want to get rid of them
but don't want to hire movers. So if you can move it yourself, you can
usually get one for nothing.

.opt

Casey
10-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Its really the fingering. If you can type really fast on a keyboard, then you can surely the hell learn how to play the piano. It's not as hard as you think. Buy like a book that teaches the basics in some cheap book/music store or somthing.

Primus Inter Pares
10-11-2005, 08:19 AM
I never did learn to play the piano, never tried either but what can ye do?

Midori
10-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks alot for the advice. It's very appreciated! =] But the problem has been solved...I guess I can say that. Just yesterday my g/f bought me a privia x-300 ( which basically means that its a weighted 88 key electric piano) Although I was worried at first that she bought me one ( due to the price! $599) she convinced me that it was for the best. I still feel kind of bad bc she spent so much on it you know. But I am also very happy that she did such a wonderful thing for me. So now, I can actually practice at home. I'm sure that it will help me greatly. But thank you everyone for your comments. Now there is only one more thing..lol, I have to learn how to play with both hands at the same time!!! I believe this task is the most upsetting. I tought myself the odeka de chocobo song, but I cant seem to play it with both, my left and right hand simultaneously. What can I do to achieve this? I ask for any advice. Thank you once more everyone.