View Full Version : Plague hits WoW

Lionx
09-23-2005, 05:18 AM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050921-5337.html

http://members.shaw.ca/olsens/plague.jpg

LOL pwnt

escobert
09-23-2005, 05:27 AM
that's crazy haha sorty of sounds liek a .hack type thing.

Endless
09-23-2005, 07:06 AM
My brother told me about it. The main problem there was before the hotfix was that NPCs would get infected but couldn't die from it, which meant that the plague could never disappear, since NPCs would reinfect people.

RSL
09-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Haha, now I've heard everything.

Dignified Pauper
09-23-2005, 02:09 PM
this is amazing

Captain Maxx Power
09-23-2005, 03:18 PM
The frightening thing is, Online worlds are slowly moving closer and closer in realism towards our own. We've got social status, economic emulation, and now disease/epidemic outbreaks. Pioneering indeed.

Dignified Pauper
09-23-2005, 03:38 PM
sooner or later, we're going to have a video game that has NO NPCs! everyone is just going to be a character in the world! Valiant Warrior, Emperor, Tyrant, Peasant, Shop Keeper.

Behold the Void
09-23-2005, 03:59 PM
When I first saw that I was hoping that Blizzard had done that on purpose, because really it's an extremely interesting idea.

Skyblade
09-23-2005, 04:13 PM
My brother told me about it. The main problem there was before the hotfix was that NPCs would get infected but couldn't die from it, which meant that the plague could never disappear, since NPCs would reinfect people.

If that's true, then I think it has to be a virus, made specifically to do this. NPCs can be killed in WoW; it happens all the time. Why would they be unable to die from this one skill, yet still able to pass it on to others? Of course, if this is intentional, than one of the game designers must be the one who did it, since it is a brand new skill. Interesting...

bipper
09-23-2005, 04:15 PM
seems weird, if the undead get the plauge :D

Samuraid
09-23-2005, 05:57 PM
WoW, that's strange. I wonder if any friends' characters have caught the plague yet.

Skyblade
09-23-2005, 06:06 PM
BTW, does this mean that logging on right now would probably be a bad idea..?

Madame Adequate
09-23-2005, 06:39 PM
sooner or later, we're going to have a video game that has NO NPCs! everyone is just going to be a character in the world! Valiant Warrior, Emperor, Tyrant, Peasant, Shop Keeper.

Face Of Mankind. And it doesn't work terribly well.

Anyways, this is a very interesting case. I'd have been fine if I were playing WoW right now (I'm not, 'cause I'm away from my normal PC.) because I'm on a new server, but this is a curious incident indeed.

Sephex
09-23-2005, 06:55 PM
I read about this a while ago, and I still think it's funny.

Skyblade
09-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Also, a note on the gamer reaction: According to the article, the affected gamers seem to think that this is a cool new effect, even if it is a glitch. Doesn't anyone else find that hard to believe? Given the massive casualty ratings caused by this bug, compounded with the fact that you lose a good 1/10 of the durability of most of your equipment whenever you get killed, don't you think that there would be a fair number of players who would be really, really pissed off at it?

Traitorfish
09-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Well, it makes it more real if there's plauge. What I'd do, is go off into the wilderness by my self, and stay away from all towns until it was fixed.

I don't have WoW, though. -sob-
I've played it, but I need £90 before I can get it to myself. So far I have... err... my sister owes me £10, and I have two lucky pennies... giving me a grand total of... 3 pence!

That's not nearly enough. :mad:

Madame Adequate
09-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Also, a note on the gamer reaction: According to the article, the affected gamers seem to think that this is a cool new effect, even if it is a glitch. Doesn't anyone else find that hard to believe? Given the massive casualty ratings caused by this bug, compounded with the fact that you lose a good 1/10 of the durability of most of your equipment whenever you get killed, don't you think that there would be a fair number of players who would be really, really pissed off at it?

Well, I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't like the situation, especially if it's messed the towns up (as it seems to.). But at the same time, I'm sure there are a fair share of players who do think it's an interesting situation. Especially those who like to RP - as I understand things there's something of a derth of world events in WoW.

Endless
09-23-2005, 11:00 PM
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-general&T=4929988&P=1

MecaKane
09-23-2005, 11:27 PM
First page.

Miriel
09-23-2005, 11:38 PM
If I were playing WoW, I'd probably get a huge kick out of the situation.

Anyone who is "really pissed off" about the whole thing is being way too anal.

Samuraid
09-23-2005, 11:41 PM
I wonder how this will fall out with BlizzCon happening next month and all.

Shoeberto
09-23-2005, 11:47 PM
I'd imagine that they'd release a strain of bubonic plague into the crowd. It's only logical.

ZeZipster
09-23-2005, 11:50 PM
1st page.

Psychotic
09-23-2005, 11:55 PM
1st page.QFT.

I want EoFF to have a plague.

Shlup
09-24-2005, 12:03 AM
I've never actually wanted to play WoW until now. That's awesome. xD

Giga Guess
09-24-2005, 12:27 AM
So I'm guessing the blood splatter is someone dying of the "plague?"

At any rate.....interesting.....this is an intriguing development. Still, I'm glad I don't play WoW.

Skyblade
09-24-2005, 02:40 AM
If I were playing WoW, I'd probably get a huge kick out of the situation.

Anyone who is "really pissed off" about the whole thing is being way too anal.

No, I just don't appreciate having to dish out most of my gold to pay for repairs to my armor because of a frelling glitch. Gold is hard enough to accumulate as it is.

More information for those who are interested... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4272418.stm)

ZeZipster
09-24-2005, 03:11 AM
1st page.QFT.

I want EoFF to have a plague.

Don't QFT me. :mad2:

Behold the Void
09-24-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm actually still not entirely convinced that this wasn't planned, as it reminds me of the Warcraft III events in the human campaign with the plague. Adding a plague to an MMORPG and seeing what happens is a really interesting idea, and I'm not so sure it wasn't planned. It may just be a bit buggy, or they may be "failing" to totally fix the plague on purpose.

-N-
09-24-2005, 04:06 AM
1st page.QFT.

I want EoFF to have a plague.THE HAT-PLAGUE SAVE ME

TurkSlayer
09-24-2005, 04:49 AM
This is actually pretty cool. Its like World of Warcraft: The Red Plague. Kickass.

Lionx
09-24-2005, 05:31 AM
Its not intentional, i am sure it does ruin some people's playing, i actually find this to be the inability and lack of foresight on bliz's part. So blah.

this wasn't an event. this was an instance run gone sour and high level players maliciously(sp?) going back to town to spread a plague that takes off 260-350 damage every 2 seconds. an event would have been planned. this in no way was planned. Its called player griefing and the attempts on how to fix this is half-hearted at best i feel.

It's only fun and creative if you're not caught in it. I am sure those dying for no particular reason wouldnt think this would be cool.

Markus. D
09-24-2005, 05:42 AM
ooooh

dot hack and t-virus all in one... awesome :)

Rase
09-24-2005, 08:48 AM
When I first saw that I was hoping that Blizzard had done that on purpose, because really it's an extremely interesting idea.

Wiegrahf42
09-24-2005, 11:51 AM
This is pretty cool, though There haven't been any outbreaks on my server.

Markus. D
09-24-2005, 11:59 AM
i want something around these sorta lines to happen in guild wars.

edit: OH MY GOD, LEAVE MY MESMER SIG ALONE! :mad2: :mad2:

its not big at all, have you seen some of the others.....

Destai
09-24-2005, 03:27 PM
I've never actually wanted to play WoW until now. That's awesome. xD

Giga Guess
09-24-2005, 03:55 PM
ooooh

OMG!!! The first thing I tought of was .Hack!

Lindy
09-24-2005, 06:55 PM
No, I just don't appreciate having to dish out most of my gold to pay for repairs to my armor because of a frelling glitch. Gold is hard enough to accumulate as it is.
Are you playing the same WoW as I am? Gold is really, really easy to get and when you get to the point where repairs DO cost a lot, you can easily get the money back from them?

Anyway, you guiz are OLD, this was like, fixed ages ago.

escobert
09-24-2005, 07:15 PM
ooooh

OMG!!! The first thing I tought of was .Hack!
Me too in the second post :p