PDA

View Full Version : PC Final Fantasy VII with Direct3D?

KalorX
09-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm not sure where to ask for help for this, so I came here. I recently got a hold of the PC version of FF7, but my ultra-modern PC can't run the thing 3D accelerated. Only complicating matters, despite the fact that I have a Pentuim 4, 3.4GHz, eVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB, and 512MB PC4400 DDR RAM computer all the FMV's run slowly (and the audio goes out of sync) if I don't play the game in 320x240!

So here I am, stuck playing the game in 320x240 software mode. And yes, every single official and unofficial patch has been applied to it (especially since I'm using Windows XP).

Thing is, if I activate the special drivers for nVidia's TNT card, I can run the game in 640x480 hardware mode, but it freezes at random moments during battles, forcing me to reboot the my PC.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Such Great Heights
09-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Are you running it in compatiblity mode for Win95/98? Kind of a no-brainer, but you never know.

And if you can't get it working, I've got a 500mhz Celeron with Integrated Intel graphics that runs this and the FF8 port like a DREAM. :D Kidding, kidding.

DMKA
09-23-2005, 05:59 PM
I know XP needs a patch for it to run properly in some way.

But when I saw how the FMVs look and heard the music I pretty much said screw playing it.

KalorX
09-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Compatibility mode (for 95 or 98/Me) doesn't fix/change anything.

I've already applied the XP patch. As I said, every official and unofficial patch has been applied.

As for the video, it's actually much higher quality on the PC than the PS1. Believe me, I'm a video junkie; I can easily discern quality in such matters. You only think it looks better on the PS1 because you're seeing it on a blurred/interpolated TV screen and probably sitting farther away from the TV screen than you would a PC monitor. Play the PS1 version on an emulator such as ePSXe 1.6.0 with any video plugin and settings you desire, and you'll see just how low quality and blocky the video truly is.

As for the music, by applying the Chrysomyr music patch the music in the PC version of FF7 sounds exactly the same as the original PS1 version.

Ward
09-23-2005, 07:05 PM
^ This man tells the truth about the music patch. I couldnt believe the difference it made!

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
09-23-2005, 07:40 PM
i'm a bit lost . . . r u talking bout pc's!? :S

Such Great Heights
09-23-2005, 10:21 PM
i'm a bit lost . . . r u talking bout pc's!? :S

Yes.

Maybe drivers, then? Older versions of the drivers might do the trick.

KalorX
09-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Maybe drivers, then? Older versions of the drivers might do the trick.

Methinks my video card may be a bit too new. As for drivers for other video cards, like Voodoo 3/4/5, I'm afraid to do that given my money situation and the fact that my video card may go "thhbbt!"

Strangely, I have a friend that can run the game in Direct3D using his modern PC. I think he even has a GeForce card not that much older than mine, but he tells me he didn't do anything special.

Such Great Heights
09-24-2005, 09:44 PM
This is all very strange. It sounds like the only thing that you could do is buy an old, old video card, but you mentioned a money situation and that's so much work to do for one game!

Have you thought about using a PSX emulator?

KalorX
09-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Yes, I've tried using an emulator. I could play the game in an emulator, but the text and text boxes look "garbled" no matter what video plugin (I have something like six) or settings I use. I mean it's not as if the text isn't readable, it's very much readable, it's just that it looks like crap. There is also the issue of the battle transition not appearing, but slowing down the game for a few seconds anyway. With the amount of battles in FF7 (as in any FF game), this is a major blow to sanity.

The biggest downfall of the emulation idea: I can't get my gamepad to work emu-ed for some reason. ePSXe won't read my NYCO AirFlo EX.

Diaton
09-27-2005, 11:18 PM
I just got ffvii for the pc as well, and had troubles installing it. But FINALLY got it to work, I've been playing it for a bit, but would like to know where you got that Chrysomyr music patch. Since I for one am sick of the crackling music. Also, the FMVs are nice and all, but a little blocky, don't know if they're like that on the psx version (never played that version). And if so, if there's a FMV patch out, I currently have the xp patch but would like to get at least the music to sound right. Thanks :D

?????
09-29-2005, 03:08 AM
Where did you find a copy? I'd rather like to have one, seeing as it's my favorite FF.