PDA

View Full Version : Letters of Recomendation

Cid
09-24-2005, 08:58 PM
I need 2 letters of recommendation from my university profressors before the end of this school year. I've already made 2 failed attempts.

Has anyone received a letter of recommendation from their <b>college</b> from a professor? What means did you use?

boris no no
09-24-2005, 09:01 PM
i know this isn;t the same (sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry ;_____;)
but to get inot university you need to get a letter of recomendation from a teacher.
i wasn't very good at turning up (i was so bad!) so i basically had to go round to all my teachers and cry at them
:D it worked
its great being a girl

Del Murder
09-24-2005, 09:09 PM
I sent an email and asked them. I think it helps if you got a good grade in their class and if you give an outline of what you would like it to say. Professors are busy and I think they appreciate you giving them things they can say about you rather than having them try to remember you. The less it inconveniences them the more likely they are to do it.

Samuraid
09-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I asked them as far in advance as possible and chose professors that knew me well in courses I had excelled in.

Cid
09-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Conversation via email:

Hey, are you teaching at UCR anymore? I can't find your classes.

Hi Sean,
No, sorry, I won't be teaching anymore at UCR. I took a permanent position at Biola University in the LA area.

Best of luck.

Well, this is a little embarassing, but what the hell. I took your classes. I did well in them (A's in both). I enjoyed them, and I enjoyed you as a teacher probably moreso than any other teacher at UCR. You are fair and decent and approachable. At the same time, I couldn't guarantee that you'd remember me.
So it turns out that I want to get into the Graduate School of Education. And they need letters of recommendation. I am really bad with this sort of thing, and for all I know you have some prereqs that must be met to do that sort of thing. But I guess I'll ask anyhow. Would you be willing to write me a letter of recommendation? I would be willing to come to Biola, I think I even know where it is already. Congratulations, by the way.

Anyhow, I'd understand if you feel that train had already left. Just let me know, I'll understand. Thanks.

Sean

Sean,
I'm sorry but I don't have enough personal academic information about to write a vibrant and valuable letter of recommendation for you. These letters should say more than "he received As in my courses."

Cid
09-24-2005, 09:22 PM
The problem is that I don't like talking to my professors. I do well in their classes, so I don't find it necessary to waste their time. Yet, they'll never know who I am if I don't talk to them.

Yet I don't want to go to their office just to bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif about nothing. If (or when) I was a professor, I'd hate kids who sit their bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifting for letters of rec.

Rye
09-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Aw, that sucks. :( You should email him back with a big old "o rly?"

Del Murder
09-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Send them the academic information about you that they otherwise wouldn't know. Some professors will want firsthand knowledge about such things but others see it from your point of view and would be happy to put that in a letter form, as long as you did well in their class. Explain to them what you told us, how you do well enough in your classes that you don't need help in office hours, etc.

DK
09-24-2005, 10:04 PM
I bet you could break down and cry like a girl in front of them if you wanted to do. All you'd have to do is go in and think about the fact that you and Raistlin will be together UNTIL THE END OF TIME. It's enough to choke me up just now, you poor, poor man. In fact, just tell them that and i'm sure they'd do it out of pity.

In seriousness, no. I haven't had one for teachers, anyway. I did get one for work off an a guy I knew, he worked in a papershop and we were sorta mates. He wrote me this complete bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif letter about how awesome I was, and he was a legend. He used to give me free stuff and everything.

P.S Wesley is cool really. <3

DMKA
09-24-2005, 11:33 PM
I had to get two when I applied to this college. All I did was asked two professors I had a semester ago and they did it.

Yooniece
09-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, it requires a lot of thinking ahead. I made it into my professors' office hours and spent a good deal of time letting them know that I was into the subjects they taught over the last 4 years. And especially if they were my more famous professors... with the best credentials. I know it sounds sleezy but I knew that I would need those letters in the future so I made an effort to see my old professors even after their class was over. It's a long-term effort, and a lot of professors won't write you a letter unelss you made an impression on them in the past, no matter how good your current persuasion skills are. My advice is to go to the professors that you felt recognized you and your work the most and ask. As for timing, it's best to do this before the rush... there will be a point where everyone needs a rec and even your favorite professor may not have the time to write you one.

Miriel
09-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I know it's a pain, but seriously, visiting Professors during their office hours and chatting with them is probably the best way to get a letter of recommendation. Professors have office hours for a reason, and I don't think anyone can deny that one of those reasons is for students to come in, chew the fat, and then ask for favors.

Shlup
09-25-2005, 12:58 AM
BJ got one or two. He just got a decent grade in the class, and then asked.

I hope I don't need any letters of recommendation... I hate asking people for things, especially people I don't know, and I never participate in class so it's not like I ever get to know any teachers.