PDA

View Full Version : Chronological Enemy Skills list?

Such Great Heights
09-25-2005, 02:27 AM
I've looked on GameFAQs but neither of the guides there follow the flow of the game. I'm really lazy in this respect and I don't want to use one unless it's chronological. This is the millionth time I've played FF7 and I've never gotten all of the e-skills. Dunno where to look beyond GameFAQs.

Ceil
09-25-2005, 02:54 AM
...You are lazy :o Just take the list and chronologize it yourself.

Skyblade
09-25-2005, 03:27 AM
There's no reason to chronoligize it, since you can get nearly all of the enemy skills at any time. The only ones which can only be acquired for a limited time are Trine, Pandora's Box, and Magic Breath (I might be wrong about that last one). In fact, chronoligizing the list is somewhat stupid, since you can't get the last Enemy Skill Materia until you have the Highwind.

DarkLord
09-25-2005, 04:11 AM
To tell the truth, I never mastered the e-skills, although I nearly have and I've done pretty much everything else there is to do. But personally I think that the whole chrono idea is pointless

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
09-25-2005, 01:14 PM
i am jus curious bout this.

how many e-skill materias are ther? ive counted 3: shinra building after beatin experiment, junon training room, and chocobo sage.

I can remember counting 4 before but i cant remember where the 4th one is.

MysticD
09-25-2005, 01:27 PM
What the heck is chronolization anyway??????

Carl the Llama
09-25-2005, 02:35 PM
i am jus curious bout this.

how many e-skill materias are ther? ive counted 3: shinra building after beatin experiment, junon training room, and chocobo sage.

I can remember counting 4 before but i cant remember where the 4th one is.

[TR][TD]the forth one is in the same room as the chocobo stable in the highwind

TheSpoonyBard
09-25-2005, 03:07 PM
No, the fourth Enemy Skill is in the City of the Ancients, behind the bed in the restroom (no, not the toilet, the room in which you rest).

Sorted by area, but some may need higher levels or Manipulate to actually get.

Matra Magic - Custom Sweeper - Midgar area
L4 Suicide - Mu - Chocobo Ranch area
Beta - Midgar Zolom - Chocobo Ranch Marshland
Flamethrower - Ark Dragon - Mythril Mines
White Wind - Zemzelett - Junon Area (Manipulate)
Aqualung - Harpy - Corel Area
Laser - Death Claw - Desert Prison
Big Guard - Beach Plug - Costa del Sol/Gongada Beaches (Manipulate)
Frog Song - Touch Me - Gongada Forest
Death Sentence - Gi Spectator/Sneaky Steps - Cave of the Gi
???? - Jersey - Nibelheim Mansion
Trine - Materia Keeper - Mt. Nibel
Death Force - Adamantaimai - Wutai Beaches (Manipulate)
Magic Hammer - Razor Weed - Wutai Area
Bad Breath - Malboro - Gaea's Cliff
Magic Breath - Stilva - Inside Gaea's Cliff
Chocobuckle - Lv4x Chocobo - Mideel
Goblin Punch - Goblin - Goblin Island
Shadow Flare - Ultima WEAPON - Cosmo Canyon
L5 Death - Parasite - Northern Crater
Angel Whisper - Pollensalta - Northern Crater (Manipulate)
Dragon Force - Dark Dragon - Northern Crater (Manipulate)
Roulette - Death Dealer - Northern Crater
Pandora's Box - Dragon Zombie - Northern Crater

Such Great Heights
09-25-2005, 05:23 PM
That's great, ForestOwl. Thanks. I just got Manipulate so it's time to put some effort into this!

chadwixx
09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
http://www.ffshrine.org/ff7/ff7_eskills.php

make sure u get white wind and big guard

i have them all except chocobuckle, its a pain in the butt get

Crop
09-25-2005, 07:05 PM

Yeah thats the only one I dont have, how do you get it?

Skyblade
09-25-2005, 07:15 PM

Go to the Mideel chocobo tracks. Have Chocobo Lure and Sense equipped, and make sure you know Lv4 Suicide. When a level 16 Chocobo shows up (check level with sense), use Lv4 Suicide. It will counter attak with Chocobuckle.

Mercen-X
09-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Big Guard - Gongaga Beaches

I thought you could also get the Big Guard from Beachplugs near Costa Del Sol.
That would mean that Big Guard comes before Laser.
Go to the Mideel chocobo tracks. Have Chocobo Lure and Sense equipped, and make sure you know Lv4 Suicide. When a level 16 Chocobo shows up (check level with sense), use Lv4 Suicide. It will counter attak with Chocobuckle.
Who has ever encountered a Level 16 Chocobo? There is apparently supposed to be one in the game somewhere, but I've never seen it.
Mideel is home to the Level 36 chocobo, it's level is still a multiple of 4 so L4 Suicide will still work, HOWEVER!!! You MUST give it a Mimmett Greens item before using L4 Suicide.

Masamune·1600
09-25-2005, 11:37 PM

Actually, it's necessary to feed Mimett/Sylkis Greens to the Chocobo first. From there, L4 Suicide use will result in Chocobuckle being used.

Who has ever encountered a Level 16 Chocobo? There is apparently supposed to be one in the game somewhere, but I've never seen it.

They can be found near the Chocobo ranch. L13 Chocobos are more common in my experience, but L16 Chocobos do appear.

TheSpoonyBard
09-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Oh well, I wrote it from memory so one can expect a few mistakes.

Skyblade
09-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Ok, I'm replaying the game (a good thing in itself, because FFVII is awesome), and so far I've chronologized the list up to Rocket Town.

You can't get any until after you leave Midgar.

Matra Magic: From Custom Sweepers in the dark wasteland area outside Midgar.

Lv4 Suicide: From Mu's in the grassy areas between Kalm and the Chocobo Farm.

Chocobuckle: From level 16 Chocobos around the Chocobo farm, after giving them a Mimmet Green and using Lv4 Suicide on them.

Beta: From the Midgar Zolom when he's at low health. Does a ton of damage, so bring Elemental-Fire/Ifrit in your armor or a Fire Ring.

Flamethrower: From the Arc Dragons in the Mythril Mines.

Acquire second Enemy Skill Materia in Junon.

Laser: From the Death Claws in the Corel Prison. (Bullmotors in this same area also use Matra Magic, which you can get here for your second ES Materia)

Aqualung: From the (Damn, forgot the name) in the desert around the Golden Saucer (you can actually get this one before acquiring the buggy if you leave Corel and head to just the right point on the desert's perimeter). Another heavy damage one, but nowhere near as deadly as Beta. Still, you don't have a water elemental materia to put in armor yet, so it will do a fair amount of damage.

White Wind: Bactrack to the area around Junon and Manipulate a Zemzellet.

Frog Song: From Touch Me's and Toxic Frogs in the jungle around Gongaga.

Death Sentence: From the GI Specters and Sneaky Steps in the Cave of the GI.

Trine: From the Materia Keeper in the Nibelheim mountains (limited acquisition ability!).

I will add more as I progress if people are still interested.

BG-57
09-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Some additional notes:

1) The Chocobo that casts Chocobuckle will use it on whoever uses Level 4 Suicide. So you can save time by equipping several E-skill materia on that character.

2) There is some controversy about this, but in my game the first time a Dragon Zombie on the right path casts Pandora's Box is the only time they'll cast it. I spent many fruitless hours trying to coax another Pandora's Box out of them.

If you're lucky, you won't have this annoying glitch. Just be sure to save your game before going for this E-skill. :mad:

3) Use Death Force on your party and the Death Dealers and let them spin out Roulettes without anybody dying.

G SpOtZ
09-28-2005, 12:28 AM
the monsters that give aqualung in the deserts are chimeras, i'm pretty sure.

BG-57
09-28-2005, 12:33 AM
You are correct sir. Aqualung is also cast by the boss Jenova-LIFE.

Skyblade
09-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Some additional notes:

1) The Chocobo that casts Chocobuckle will use it on whoever uses Level 4 Suicide. So you can save time by equipping several E-skill materia on that character.

2) There is some controversy about this, but in my game the first time a Dragon Zombie on the right path casts Pandora's Box is the only time they'll cast it. I spent many fruitless hours trying to coax another Pandora's Box out of them.

If you're lucky, you won't have this annoying glitch. Just be sure to save your game before going for this E-skill. :mad:

3) Use Death Force on your party and the Death Dealers and let them spin out Roulettes without anybody dying.

1. Correct, but make sure no one on your team has the Cover Materia, or it might hit them instead (in fact, with Cover Mastered, it will hit them).

2. Also correct, although I'm not sure it's a glitch. I was planning to include this as a limited obtainability skill, but I forgot about it. I don't think it is possible to obtain it unless you get it from the first Dragon Zombie you face.

3. Good advice.

Update:
Big Guard: Manipulate Beach Plugs in the Costa del Sol beaches (forgot these guys last post).

Death Force: Manipulate Adamantai on the Wutai beaches.

Skyblade
09-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Ok, I'm replaying the game (a good thing in itself, because FFVII is awesome), and so far I've chronologized the list up to Wutai.

You can't get any until after you leave Midgar.

Matra Magic: From Custom Sweepers in the dark wasteland area outside Midgar.

Lv4 Suicide: From Mu's in the grassy areas between Kalm and the Chocobo Farm.

Chocobuckle: From level 16 Chocobos around the Chocobo farm, after giving them a Mimmet Green and using Lv4 Suicide on them.

Beta: From the Midgar Zolom when he's at low health. Does a ton of damage, so bring Elemental-Fire/Ifrit in your armor or a Fire Ring.

Flamethrower: From the Arc Dragons in the Mythril Mines.

Acquire second Enemy Skill Materia in Junon.

Laser: From the Death Claws in the Corel Prison. (Bullmotors in this same area also use Matra Magic, which you can get here for your second ES Materia)

Aqualung: From the (Damn, forgot the name) in the desert around the Golden Saucer (you can actually get this one before acquiring the buggy if you leave Corel and head to just the right point on the desert's perimeter). Another heavy damage one, but nowhere near as deadly as Beta. Still, you don't have a water elemental materia to put in armor yet, so it will do a fair amount of damage.

Big Guard: From Beach Plugs on the Costa del Sol beaches.

White Wind: Bactrack to the area around Junon and Manipulate a Zemzellet.

Frog Song: From Touch Me's and Toxic Frogs in the jungle around Gongaga.

Death Sentence: From the GI Specters and Sneaky Steps in the Cave of the GI.

????: From Jerseys in the Shinra Mansion.

Trine: From the Materia Keeper in the Nibelheim mountains (limited acquisition ability!).

Magic Hammer: From Razor Weed outside Wutai.

Death Force: From Adamantai on the Wutai beaches.

I will add more as I progress if people are still interested.

Update.

Gilgamesh of Legends
09-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Upper Junon- The Respectable Inn

BG-57
09-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Also correct, although I'm not sure it's a glitch. I was planning to include this as a limited obtainability skill, but I forgot about it. I don't think it is possible to obtain it unless you get it from the first Dragon Zombie you face.

I've heard people say that their Dragon Zombies cast Pandora's Box regularly, but I wonder if the central pit ones behave differently then the ones on the right path. I've never verified it though.

If it's not a glitch, then did the game designers intend for only the first Dragon Zombie to know Pandora's Box? That would be pretty sadistic of them.

In a way the first Dragon Zombie acts like a boss and the others act like regular random encounters.

On a different note, hold off taking on the boss Goda in Wutai until you get the Highwind if you want Trine on all four E-skill materia. You can take on the Da-Chao subquest without affecting the pagoda battles though.

Rengori
09-29-2005, 12:39 AM
White Wind - Zemzelett - Junon Area (Manipulate)
*GASP!* *runs to get White Wind*

Skyblade
09-29-2005, 01:34 AM
If it's not a glitch, then did the game designers intend for only the first Dragon Zombie to know Pandora's Box? That would be pretty sadistic of them.

Oh, right, because the game designers never do things like make skills or items that can only be acquired once. They are the acme of making everything easily obtainable without putting it on any sort of a time scale. The same people who make it impossible to get Trine on every Enemy Skill Materia if you do everything in the game ASAP. The same people who have made it impossible to get several Materia, including Ramuh, Bahamut Zero, and all the Master Materia if you miss a couple of items. The people who made an enemy in FFX that is your only chance of acquiring Khimari's most powerful Overdrive, and made it impossible to get if you forget to use Lancet on him. I wouldn't put something like this past them.

BG-57
09-29-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm not opposed to a boss monster that appears later as a random encounter, like FFX's Lord Ochu. But the distinction should have been made clear with Dragon Zombies. Either way it was sloppy programming on their part. :mad:

I know it's common for games to have easily missable stuff, but this is ridiculous. Maybe I should be less charitable to Square for losing 15 hours of my life hunting for Pandora's Box and then having to start a new game from scratch. :eep:

Skyblade
09-29-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm not opposed to a boss monster that appears later as a random encounter, like FFX's Lord Ochu. But the distinction should have been made clear with Dragon Zombies. Either way it was sloppy programming on their part. :mad:

I know it's common for games to have easily missable stuff, but this is ridiculous. Maybe I should be less charitable to Square for losing 15 hours of my life hunting for Pandora's Box and then having to start a new game from scratch. :eep:

And when did they make it clear that completing the Pagoda early would negate your chances of getting Trine on every Enemy Skill Materia?

BG-57
09-30-2005, 01:08 AM
In the game, never. At least that's widely known though.

The first time I asked for help with Pandora's Box on this forum, nobody seemed to know about the first Dragon Zombie rule. Eventually I turned to the E-Skill faq on Gamefaqs.com and it listed it as a rumor. Up until then I thought it was with my game only.

A lot of people have disputed the first Dragon Zombie rule, so I've assumed it's a glitch if it's not universal to all versions of FFVII.

So I take it you've found the missable stuff in FFVII frustrating as well?