PDA

View Full Version : Favorite RPG series (As much as you like)

crashNUMBERS
09-27-2005, 01:15 AM
I wanna avoid giving people a hard time thinking what over what and it's in no order...

Final Fantasy
Seiken Densetsu
Tales
Fire Emblem
Star Ocean
Chrono
Phantasy Star

And there might be more I can't think of at the moment...

kikimm
09-27-2005, 02:04 AM
Does it count as a series if there's only been one game so far? Otherwise I'll be forced to go with Final Fantasy.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
09-27-2005, 02:09 AM
Final Fantasy of course

edczxcvbnm
09-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Chrono
Tales
.hack

Xeno use to be on the list but then Episode II happened. Xenogears is still one hell of an excellent game though.

crashNUMBERS
09-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Does it count as a series if there's only been one game so far? Otherwise I'll be forced to go with Final Fantasy.
Say KH if you want!!

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-27-2005, 02:37 AM
Xenogears is seperate from Xenosaga and I wouldn't count them as the same series.

Thus, Xenogears.

crashNUMBERS
09-27-2005, 02:38 AM
RPG series

The Man
09-27-2005, 02:46 AM
Probably Dragon Quest, Genso Suikoden, or Shadow Hearts. I haven't really played enough of any series to count myself a proper fan though; there is at least one entry in each series that I still haven't played, even though they've been out for over a year apiece. But then, I still haven't played all the Final Fantasy games, either, so whatever. ;)

Luc
09-27-2005, 02:47 AM
Shadow Hearts, Suikoden, and uh, that's all I can think of. I'll get back to you on this. <.<

bipper
09-27-2005, 02:58 AM
Xenogears is seperate from Xenosaga and I wouldn't count them as the same series.

Thus, Xenogears.

Way I heard it, Xenogears is base on a series of books, and xenogears was like the fifth installment or somthing. Dunno, thought it was worth bringing up. Cause I dun even know it its true; but I have just heard it from a handfull of people.

Bipper

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-27-2005, 03:08 AM
Way I heard it, Xenogears is base on a series of books, and xenogears was like the fifth installment or somthing. Dunno, thought it was worth bringing up. Cause I dun even know it its true; but I have just heard it from a handfull of people.

It is which is why I still say Xenogears :)

Erdrick Holmes
09-27-2005, 03:09 AM
Phantasy Star.

Don't go around the swear filter, please. - Hsu

crashNUMBERS
09-27-2005, 03:11 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that...

GooeyToast
09-27-2005, 03:16 AM
Chrono
FF
Kingdom Hearts
Seiken Densetsu
Mother (Earthbound)

Shoeberto
09-27-2005, 03:19 AM
Fallout, Xeno, Diablo

edczxcvbnm
09-27-2005, 03:29 AM

Thus, Xenogears.

Bipper

While Xenogears is the fifth chapter in a massive story it is the only written story in any format. Xenosaga was to be a rebirth of the series with a new start with similarities to the Xenogears.

The other 5 chapters of the Xenogears story are talked about briefly in the book Xenogears Perfect Works(which I actually own). All the chapters from 1-4 are described a bit in the game. 1 - 3 not so much. Chapter 4 you actually get to learn quite a bit about.

If anyone has more information or if I have made a mistake then please correct me.

Rengori
09-27-2005, 03:48 AM
Does it count if Makai Kingdom has a hell of a lot references to Disgaea, but it's not in the actual series? Otherwise I'll also be forced to FF...

black orb
09-27-2005, 06:34 AM
>>> Final Fantasy and Suikoden..

Dreddz
09-27-2005, 08:25 AM
Final Fantasy
Alundra
Dark Cloud/chronicle

Aphelion
09-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Final Fantasy and Star Ocean, probably.

Perducci
09-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Suikoden, Breath Of Fire, Final Fantasy

Maxico
09-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Shenmue. Totaly.

That is if it even counts as an RPG.

Crossblades
09-27-2005, 07:15 PM
In this order

Final Fantasy
Tales
Fire Emblem
Breath of Fire
Dragon Warrior

Vermachtnis
09-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Shadow Hearts
Tales
Final Fantasy
Digimon World

Endless
09-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Does it count if Makai Kingdom has a hell of a lot references to Disgaea, but it's not in the actual series? Otherwise I'll also be forced to FF...

With the exception of FFX and FFX-2, no FF game is connected to another. In the NIS games, at least characters make cameos from one game to another.

Anyway, my favorite series: Seiken Densetsu. I've started a new game of LoM a few days ago, and I still <3<3 it.

crashNUMBERS
09-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Me too. LoM = God RPG

Traitorfish
09-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Hmm, err, let me see
FINAL FANTASYBit obvious, no?
Apart from that, Morrowind was pretty good... I liked Monkey Hero, at least, the three hours of it I played before getting insanely stuck... it's really for hyper-active Japanese kids, not westerners...

Leon2k
09-27-2005, 11:12 PM
I have to go with :-

Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Shadow Hearts
Dark Cloud
Star Ocean

crashNUMBERS
09-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Hmm, err, let me see
FINAL FANTASYBit obvious, no?
Apart from that, Morrowind was pretty good... I liked Monkey Hero, at least, the three hours of it I played before getting insanely stuck... it's really for hyper-active Japanese kids, not westerners...
No it's

FINAL FANTASY

Markus. D
09-28-2005, 03:37 AM
awww, my fave rpgs are not in a series :( (apart from ff)

Final Fantasy
Tenchu (you role play an assassin, it counts)
Crimson Sea

I cant think of anything else thats in a series for now, sorry

nik0tine
09-28-2005, 04:59 AM

Thus, Xenogears.

fantasyjunkie
09-28-2005, 06:58 AM
Mine is the old Ultima series on the PC. You could determine how many people you wanted in your party, npcs aways walked around doing their thing and went to bed at night, you could also interact with literally any object in the game.

Skyblade
09-28-2005, 07:01 AM
Say KH if you want!!

Kingdom Hearts also has Chain of Memories, so it's a series.

Golden Sun
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy
Shining Force (at least some of them)
Fire Emblem
Chrono Trigger (I haven't played Cross yet, but I will sometime)
The Legend of Zelda

crashNUMBERS
09-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Two games arent a series. But KH is coming out with another so go ahead...

Spammerman
09-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Kh and zelda

Maxico
09-28-2005, 09:14 PM

se·ries Audio pronunciation of "series" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sîrz)
n. pl. series

1. A number of objects or events arranged or coming one after the other in succession.

Nowhere is the amount of objects required for a series defined.

And I really fail to see how the amount of games in a series would affect it in any way. As long as there is a second game out (or released in the near future) then the difference is negligible.

crashNUMBERS
09-28-2005, 09:34 PM

se·ries Audio pronunciation of "series" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sîrz)
n. pl. series

1. A number of objects or events arranged or coming one after the other in succession.

Nowhere is the amount of objects required for a series defined.

And I really fail to see how the amount of games in a series would affect it in any way. As long as there is a second game out (or released in the near future) then the difference is negligible.
Would you really count Darkcloud as a series??

Maxico
09-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Would you really count Darkcloud as a series??

Yes, I personaly see Dark Cloud 1 and 2 as a series as they shared many similar elements and there is a possibility of a Dark Cloud 3.

Now you could argue that the games are very different but the amount of games released doesn't really come into it.

I don't see how it is any less of a series than if it had three games.

Now if we look at Shenmue, which has a very consistant story line throughout the games. Not to mention that the second game consists of many "chapters" of the over all series (compared to just one in the first game). That only has two games but it is very clear that it is a series.

And once again a series is merely more than one object arranged in succession. If there is more than one game under the same name that shares the characteristics of the previous game/s then it is a series. The amount of games is arbitrary.

crashNUMBERS
09-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Alright then. Want something from me??

Traitorfish
09-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Tenchu (you role play an assassin, it counts)

Not the same thing. By those standards, you could say that you role play as MC in Halo. Role playing requires a greater level of character involvement in the game.

Maxico
09-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Alright then. Want something from me??

To stop debasing others opinions based on your own (debatable) definition of a series?
I think that was given.

crashNUMBERS
09-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Your wish is my command. Anything else??

Rengori
09-28-2005, 11:38 PM
YOU called Makai Kingdom and Disgaea a series.

Giga Guess
09-28-2005, 11:42 PM
.Hack at the moment.

crashNUMBERS
09-28-2005, 11:59 PM

Face it. Most of you guys can't take me down (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/games.html)

GooeyToast
09-29-2005, 12:31 AM

Face it. Most of you guys can't take me down (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/games.html)

What was that supposed to prove?

Rengori
09-29-2005, 12:33 AM

I think it was supposed to prove Makai Kingdom in Disgaea were in a series, even though Crash has never played Makai Kingdom.

GooeyToast
09-29-2005, 12:35 AM

I think it was supposed to prove Makai Kingdom in Disgaea were in a series, even though Crash has never played Makai Kingdom.

It also proved that two games ARE indeed a series.

Rengori
09-29-2005, 12:37 AM
I still don't think they're a series.

kikimm
09-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Well, I actually wasn't talking about KH. :D

I'm going with Drakengard.

crashNUMBERS
09-29-2005, 02:44 AM
To avoid you guys trying to take me down this can be about favorite RPGs (Single) aswell. That better??

edczxcvbnm
09-29-2005, 02:50 AM
No. Now it is worse as it goes against the thread. Just let people post and pwn them when they say something stupid.

Those who said only Xenogears need a serious kick in the crotch as 1 game isn't a series!

*kicks /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif head in the crotch*

crashNUMBERS
09-29-2005, 02:54 AM
Thank you edAL. Join me in proving people wrong?? Spreading the smarts. Showing the brains??

?????
09-29-2005, 04:31 AM
If Zelda counts as an RPG, then it is far and away my favorite. Chrono comes next, followed by Final Fantasy, and then the KOTOR series. I judge video game series based on their percentage of quality games. FFVII, for example, has as much quality as the best of the other series, but the FF series has had a few duds. Not once has a Zelda game been honestly bad. The same goes for Chrono, though at only two games in the series it doesn't have quite as much of a claim.

Maxico
09-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Thank you edAL. Join me in proving people wrong?? Spreading the smarts. Showing the brains??

Oh the irony.

Well look at that, Both Dark Cloud and Shenmue are listed. Seems that the person most adept at "taking you down" is yourself.

crashNUMBERS
09-29-2005, 08:50 PM

Well look at that, Both Dark Cloud and Shenmue are listed. Seems that the person most adept at "taking you down" is yourself.
Takes one to know one as I know myself pretty well...

Rengori
09-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Mega Man
· Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge
· Mega Man Battle Network
· Mega Man Battle Network 2
· Mega Man Battle Network 3
· Megaman Battle Network 4 Red Sun & Blue Moon
· Mega Man Battle Network 5
· Mega Man X Command Mission

BATTLE NETWORK AND X AREN'T THE SAME SERIES!

crashNUMBERS
09-30-2005, 12:06 AM
But they're part of the megaman RPG franchise...

raskerino
09-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Final Fantasy
Shadow Hearts
Xenosaga

Rengori
09-30-2005, 12:40 AM
But they're part of the megaman RPG franchise...
They aren't in the same series though!

crashNUMBERS
09-30-2005, 02:59 AM
Yeah they are. Hey. Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma are in the same series as Soul Blazer yet they don't have the same names now do they?

Rengori
09-30-2005, 03:22 AM
Then again, this is coming from a fan site.

crashNUMBERS
09-30-2005, 03:27 AM
Yeah and so is this site. You can believe any little site with support and try to back it up while dissing other fan sites. Well no. I believe this site and megaman BN abd X command mission are in the same series. Case closed...

Rengori
09-30-2005, 03:28 AM
Yeah and so is this site. You can believe any little site with support and try to back it up while dissing other fan sites. Well no. I believe this site and megaman BN abd X command mission are in the same series. Case closed...
Megaman Battle Network and Megaman X are technically not in the same series.

crashNUMBERS
09-30-2005, 03:34 AM
*Sigh* You've gotten me to a point where I can't take it...

Look

Final Fantasy is a series correct?? And FFMQ is a game in it though it's not part of the main series. Yeah it's a side game from the real series but it is still a game in the series. Just like mega man. If you think about it. Any megaman game, RPG or platformer, is still part of the series. Look. It has the name in it correct?? That's part of what you've been nagging about the whole time. The name. It shares the same series name. Thought that doesn't mean crap. Soul Blazer and Terranigma. Totally different names. Same series. Megaman and MM Battle network. Same series. Same name. Name doesn't mean a thing.. Like I said before. Final Fantasy = FFMQ. Same series. So for me to end this aslong as it has the customary use of the earlier game in the series or if it is officially announced then it is a part of the series...

I rest my case....

Rengori
09-30-2005, 03:35 AM
*Sigh* You've gotten me to a point where I can't take it...
Yay!

Final Fantasy is a series correct?? And FFMQ is a game in it though it's not part of the main series. Yeah it's a side game from the real series but it is still a game in the series. Just like mega man. If you think about it. Any megaman game, RPG or platformer, is still part of the series. Look. It has the name in it correct?? That's part of what you've been nagging about the whole time. The name. It shares the same series name. Thought that doesn't mean crap. Soul Blazer and Terranigma. Totally different names. Same series. Megaman and MM Battle network. Same series. Same name. Name doesn't mean a thing.. Like I said before. Final Fantasy = FFMQ. Same series. So for me to end this aslong as it has the customary use of the earlier game in the series or if it is officially announced then it is a part of the series...Not yay!

crashNUMBERS
09-30-2005, 03:40 AM
40 bucks you didn't read what I said.. At all...

Rengori
09-30-2005, 03:41 AM
40 bucks you didn't read what I said.. At all...
Gimme my 40 bucks.

crashNUMBERS
09-30-2005, 03:42 AM
Didn't think so.

Rengori
09-30-2005, 03:43 AM
I read your post! I just don't like being proven wrong.

crashNUMBERS
09-30-2005, 03:46 AM
I told you not to try...

Rengori
09-30-2005, 03:47 AM
I didn't obey that part. Now gimme my 40 bucks!

Big D
09-30-2005, 07:08 AM
Okies, thanks for sharing your in-thread conversation, fellas. Please use Private Messages if you want to chat...

Lady Selphie
09-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Zelda
and....
FF series

crashNUMBERS
09-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Your like ma friend, Link, Over there. That's not a bad thing...

Cipher
09-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Hmm... I'm the only one that seems to like the Grandia series thus far. =/ A shame, they're great games.

Other than that? .hack, Xenosaga, Zelda, Super Mario (YES, I went there! :p )

Giga Guess
09-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and Paper Mario 2:TTYD....he's RPG, AND a series, so...:p

crashNUMBERS
09-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Mario is not an RPG. How can a person even be an RPG?? And yes. They are all Role Playing Games but still part of the main series...

Yuber
10-01-2005, 01:03 PM
The suikoden series kicks ass, haven't played 4 yet, heard it's not nearly as good as the first 3 unfortunately, but i'll give it a rent to try it out.

It just has its charms, just one of those games that i see as becoming "classics", especially suikoden 2.

crashNUMBERS
10-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah Suikoden IV is garbage...