PDA

View Full Version : What? Confused and spoilers.

Destai
09-27-2005, 12:43 PM
So when (or why) was Tseng revived? Him and Elena just kindve showed up.

Leene
09-27-2005, 01:08 PM
:save:I think they were trapped and then they appeared:save:

TheAbominatrix
09-27-2005, 01:13 PM
I think he's speaking of Tseng's supposed death in the Temple of the Ancients in the original game.

I guess he simply didnt die. He's never really spoken of after that, and he isnt in the Temple anymore on the way out (not that I remember, anyway), so he must have lived.

Winter Nights
09-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah.. Rufus and Tseng didn't have "definate" scenes with them being dead, so SE brought them back. Odd, but whatever.

Destai
09-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Meh, Well I didnt mind when they did it for Rufus so I guess it doesnt matter much. Even though I'd have thought they both had definite death scenes as it was announced sevral times they were dead.

ThroneofDravaris
09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Did anyone else notice that when Rufus was explaining to Cloud exactly how he survived, Cloud cuts him off?

Seems like a convenient way for Square-Enix to dodge the examination….

Winter Nights
09-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Did anyone else notice that when Rufus was explaining to Cloud exactly how he survived, Cloud cuts him off?

Seems like a convenient way for Square-Enix to dodge the examination….

Yeah.. I noticed that too. Still, his whole office was consumed with flames. It's possible to survive, but he'd have more problems than just geostigma and a bandaged head.

Cloud: You died!

Rufus: I survived.

Cloud: There were explosions!

Rufus: I ducked.

Cloud: That's RETARDED!!

Mwahahahahaha...

Pure Strife
09-27-2005, 09:53 PM
The other Turk is Shion. They say so at the start, as well as Vincent saying so. You also see his ID card blood covered next to Elena's.

Or at least the subtitles I saw the movie with called him Shion, maybe it's just a screw up on their part.

Winter Nights
09-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Shion is a bad translation of Tseng. It clearly says Tseng in the credits.

Pure Strife
09-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Which makes very little sense and detracts from the reputation of Sephiroth as a big bad villian. Ah well.

Winter Nights
09-27-2005, 10:13 PM
*shrugs* You never ACTUALLY see him die, it's just implied. Same with Rufus.

Ouch!
09-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Nobody else caught how Rufus survived? Wow. He injected himself with Jenova cells, yo. Didn't anyone else notice the scars he had on his hand from Geostigma? Or maybe even notice that Rufus's hand and forearm glowed green and those scars disappeared when the healing rain came down and cured all the children? Oh well.

Destai
09-27-2005, 11:19 PM
I watched it in japanese with no subs so I didnt pick up on any sort of explanation.

Winter Nights
09-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Geostigma doesn't necessarily come from being injected with Jenova cells. Jenova cells had contaminated the Lifestream, causing the planet's inhabitants to become infected. Nowhere does it state that Rufus injected himself with Jenova cells. He just contracted it, the same way everyone else did.

kikimm
09-28-2005, 01:27 AM
I watched it in japanese with no subs so I didnt pick up on any sort of explanation.

Ugh. You poor thing.

But yeah. Even though we know now that, okay, they didn't die, bit I would have preferred them dead. Well, at least Tseng; Rufus makes sense and blah blah. It just kinda cheapens it now; when Tseng died it was awesome. :( Oh well. It was still a great movie, and I don't really mind. =)

Ouch!
09-29-2005, 05:09 AM
All the other people that contracted Geostigma were children. This leads me to believe that Rufus must have contracted the disease in a different manner than they did. I also think that injecting himself with Jenova cells would have been something he'd have been eager to tell Cloud about. They made far too big of a deal out of that scene to have not many any hints about how it happened through the rest of the movie.

?????
09-29-2005, 05:31 AM
Well, the clones apparently had Geostigma; everyone we know of in the movie that had Jenova cells had Geostigma. The kids just kind of got caught in the crossfire.

Was it only the children in Midgar that got Geostigma, or was it the whole world?

Masamune·1600
09-29-2005, 06:15 AM
I think he's speaking of Tseng's supposed death in the Temple of the Ancients in the original game.

I guess he simply didnt die. He's never really spoken of after that, and he isnt in the Temple anymore on the way out (not that I remember, anyway), so he must have lived.

Actually, Tseng is mentioned after the Temple of the Ancients; Elena goes so far as to imply his death when the party first visits Icicle Inn.

Elena: Cloud... huff... wheeze. I won't let you go any further!

Cloud: What's down there?

Elena: It's a SE-CR-ET. It really doesn't matter! But you really got guts doin'
my boss in like that!

Cloud: You mean Boss...... Tseng? That wasn't us. Sephiroth did it.

Elena: No! Don't think you can fool me, liar!

Cloud: I'm not lying... it was Sephiroth.

Elena: Don't try to act innocent. I'll never forget it!!

Cloud: Oh, man...

Elena: Looks like talking alone won't cut it. You're going to have to feel some
pain!

In light of Advent Children, however, it's seems clear that Elena simply wasn't aware that Tseng had survived. We never see him die, after all; in fact, his last possible statement to the party before venturing into the Temple is an affirmation that he is "still alive."

Alternatively, one can take the original quote and, given AC, interpret it differently. "Doin' my boss in" could be interpreted to be merely indicative of injury; this is supported by the fact that Elena wanted to do no more than simply punch him. Still, this seems ultimately inconsistent with what the text suggests, so the first explanation is more likely.

As to how Tseng and Elena showed up, they were captured after the incident at the Northern Crater by Kadaj's gang. Vincent states outright that the two were tortured, but that he rescued them.

Was it only the children in Midgar that got Geostigma, or was it the whole world?

Given that Midgar acted as a nexus for Meteor, Holy, and the Lifestream at the end of FFVII, it's safe to assume that Geostigma confined to Midgar. After all, Marlene doesn't suffer from Geostigma, and she was only as far away as Kalm during the ending events of the original game. Denzel's chapter of On the Way to a Smile, the Kazushige Nojima novella that bridges FFVII and Advent Children, also hints at this.

KoShiatar
09-29-2005, 03:23 PM
I thought GeoStigma was a random thing and that's the reason why some people had it and some didn't.
I also used to think that people injected with Jenova cells were bound to contract the disease, but the SHM look perfectly healthy, so I'm not sure of the connection anymore.

Dreddz
09-29-2005, 09:23 PM
ye, I didnt get that either...

Ouch!
09-29-2005, 11:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the clones didn't have geostigma because they aren't real people. My understanding was that when Rufus called them spirits it was in a litteral sense. They're spirits formed from the Jenova cells absorbed into the Lifestream when Sephiroth was defeated. Because they weren't really anything more than fragments of Sephiroth they were able to join with Jenova to complete them and make them "normal." At least that's what I go out of it.

sephiroth the dark angel
10-09-2005, 03:12 PM
oh yeah i'm sure the weapon shoots blows midgar up and rufus survives how is that possible?

Destai
10-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Alternatively, one can take the original quote and, given AC, interpret it differently. "Doin' my boss in" could be interpreted to be merely indicative of injury; this is supported by the fact that Elena wanted to do no more than simply punch him. Still, this seems ultimately inconsistent with what the text suggests, so the first explanation is more likely. Ah I get it now but I find the explanation that Square changed there minds alot more likely.

MoonliteAssassin
10-14-2005, 06:43 AM
sorry ppl that's not Tseng....I wuved Tseng too but Sephy killed him. That's Shion from Final Fantasy VII Before Crisis. His name is Shion. He's a character that was in the Turks but had no major role in Final Fantasy VII, but was a big part with Zach and Sephiroth in Before Crisis.

Yes Tseng is unfortunately dead. But We can live in the pocky boats glomping Tseng dolls anyway. Elena clearly said he was dead in FF VII and Shion is a character in Before Crisis. Look it up all.

Russielloyd
10-14-2005, 08:38 AM
If Geostigma only infected Midgar, Why did Yuffie leave a voice meaasge on Clouds phone to see if he knew what was going on because she says all the children have gone missing.

Hugomand
10-14-2005, 09:14 AM
sorry ppl that's not Tseng....I wuved Tseng too but Sephy killed him. That's Shion from Final Fantasy VII Before Crisis. His name is Shion. He's a character that was in the Turks but had no major role in Final Fantasy VII, but was a big part with Zach and Sephiroth in Before Crisis.

Yes Tseng is unfortunately dead. But We can live in the pocky boats glomping Tseng dolls anyway. Elena clearly said he was dead in FF VII and Shion is a character in Before Crisis. Look it up all.

Do you have any proof?

Blitz Ace
10-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Do you have any proof?

yeh i want proof too... the subtitles in my version say Tseng, but i guess they could have been translated wrong or something.

i personally believe Tseng doesnt die in FF7... theres is really no conclusive evidence. Elena saying that one line "Doin my boss in" is sort of ambiguous.

also, i was tryin to read the ID card that is thrown accros the room by kadaj, but you cant see the name of the person.

so who is that guy???