PDA

View Full Version : General thoughts on Advent children

lone_berserker
09-29-2005, 02:47 AM
So, after seeing AC what do you think about it??

Masamune·1600
09-29-2005, 06:59 AM
I have a new favorite movie of all time.

Cloud_Valentine
09-29-2005, 05:57 PM
It is leaked for anyone who doesn't know. Go the hell out, download it, along with the Jap. Translation pack, and watch!!

Winter Nights
09-29-2005, 06:09 PM
I think everyone knows there was a leak. It's even in the FAQ. There's no need for people to keep posting about it.

Anyway.. I liked the movie. It's a little redundant in the plot, as I've said in other threads, but still good. Definately gonna be a purchase, whenever it comes out.

ThroneofDravaris
09-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Bah, I hate it when people go ahead and resolve plots, although I really did like this movie. The action has to be some of the best I’ve ever seen, which more than makes up for the lack of plot and the fact that Cloud’s personality has been subtlety changed for this movie…

Shoden
09-29-2005, 06:32 PM
actually I think it's the fast it continues AFTER FFVII that people dislike.

Dreddz
09-29-2005, 07:46 PM
I disliked it, Ending was crap, Music was crap, and very little story.
But the beginning was alright.....

DarkLadyNyara
09-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Who cares about the story, the graphics were kick ass. :D

Winter Nights
09-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Considering it's an action movie, it has a great deal of story. I'm sorry, but did you honestly assume this was going to be a drama? As for the ending, they finally put an actual end to the Jenova problem. What more did you want?

Destai
09-29-2005, 08:33 PM
it was great.

boys from the dwarf
09-30-2005, 06:42 AM
It looks better than that other FF film and this one has kick ass sword and kung-fu fights and everything so will probly be amazing.

Ceil
09-30-2005, 06:51 AM
I don't consider The Spirits Within to be a Final Fantasy film tbh. It just didn't have that FF *feel* that I was expecting. In fact, I hated the movie for like a year after I saw it. Then I saw it again recently, with a fresh mind and ignoring the 'Final Fantasy' bit in the title, and it's actually a pretty decent movie. It just didn't have that 'Final Fantasy element' in it to make me appreciate it in that manner.

Advent Children, on the other hand, f00king rawked. The fights, the comraderie amongst the characters, the fact that there were actually references to one of the games, and Final Fantasy elements (true combat, not a squad shooting at Phantoms) make this the best Final Fantasy video thing I've seen (including the Last Order and Legend of the Crystals animes).

BackRoomKid
09-30-2005, 07:32 AM
*GENERAL THOUGHTS* :D

great movie, i put in my preorder, and i'm not canceling it

Dreddz
09-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Considering it's an action movie, it has a great deal of story. I'm sorry, but did you honestly assume this was going to be a drama? As for the ending, they finally put an actual end to the Jenova problem. What more did you want?
Square Enix had clearly made the movie in an all out action flic, which I guess most people wanted. So there giving what the people want, but they could of gave some more story to the people that dont luv all the Gun ho action......

Winter Nights
09-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Square Enix had clearly made the movie in an all out action flic, which I guess most people wanted. So there giving what the people want, but they could of gave some more story to the people that dont luv all the Gun ho action......
I guess I see your point. It's got more story than most action movies, but it's been so many years since the project started, I can see how people might have expected more.

boys from the dwarf
09-30-2005, 07:32 PM
I don't consider The Spirits Within to be a Final Fantasy film tbh. It just didn't have that FF *feel* that I was expecting. In fact, I hated the movie for like a year after I saw it. Then I saw it again recently, with a fresh mind and ignoring the 'Final Fantasy' bit in the title, and it's actually a pretty decent movie. It just didn't have that 'Final Fantasy element' in it to make me appreciate it in that manner.

Advent Children, on the other hand, f00king rawked. The fights, the comraderie amongst the characters, the fact that there were actually references to one of the games, and Final Fantasy elements (true combat, not a squad shooting at Phantoms) make this the best Final Fantasy video thing I've seen (including the Last Order and Legend of the Crystals animes).
i agree. the FF TSW film didnt have an FF feeling but mainly because they didnt base it on any other FFs but this is different. i cant wait for all of these new FF games and films.

danl
09-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Loved it. Best movie I've seen this year and probably within the last few years. Got me going back to play FF7 on my PC again (this time with some updated mods :).

Anyway, what really got me is the fact that it was made for the jaded FF7 fan who originally played the game, loved and obsessed over it, then gradually over the course of time lost interest due to lack of new material, but subconsciously long for more. You know who you are ;) This movie was made for the fans, and it shows. The return of the characters, the limit breaks, motorcycle race, summon, materia, EVERYTHING served to bring back a rushing sense of nostalgia. It worked and I remember why FF7 was the best game of all time for me once more.

I sorta rambled... Apologies if I don't make any sense.

Wilder
10-01-2005, 05:57 AM
I disliked it, Ending was crap, Music was crap, and very little story.
But the beginning was alright.....

You like the word crap , that should be your nick name . Movie was perfectly adapted to be enjoyed for everyone, fan or not , I even liked " last order " lot more, And like as many sequels, you expect everybody to die, ending was sweet and nice, music was AWESOME !!!, and the story have a lot to think about when you wacht it million times.

Cipher
10-01-2005, 06:51 AM
It was a great fanservice, for which we should all be grateful and worship the feet of Square-Enix as a result of. :bow:

Last Order was more of what I loved, to be completely honest. I mean, graphics are cool and all, but sometimes you get too caught up in that and are willing to give up any semblance of a plot as a result. *nod*

They probably would have spent much more time on the script if it was done in standard anime style. Not that I'm knocking FFVII:AC. Like I said, it was a great fanservice.

Samuraid
10-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Almost no plot whatsoever, but probably the coolest effects I have ever seen. :D Well worth seeing!

The Shoeless Hobo
10-01-2005, 11:17 AM
[!]It was a bit homosexual at times...[/!]*snip*

There are better words to express your opinions, I'm sure. ~ Leeza

lone_berserker
10-06-2005, 05:09 AM
shoeless hobo, that pic is kinda freaky XD

Camanche
10-06-2005, 07:45 AM
This is a smish-smash of a lot of my thoughts, focusing on the characters. (Look out, it’s long.)

First up: the Turks. I think they were done perfectly, though Reno's face had a bit of a strangeness that I didn't expect from him. He seemed just a little too goofy, which is disappointing. In VII, he seemed like a much more dangerous man. Here, he looks and acts like a goofy teenager. Funnily enough, I was more bothered by the fact that he didn't whip out that Nightstick of his and give Yazoo a shock. I don't see why they didn't give Reno a chance to use his weapon. Also, when did Reno become Peter Parker? O_o The weirdness of that moment left me gawking.

Rude on the other hand, seemed to be spot on. The glasses bit was very nice too, but they should have gave a visual cue as to why Rude covered his eyes. I don't want to hear that it's just because he thinks it looks badass. -_- lol

I also didn't understand some of the apparent humour behind the scenes with them. (Like when Reno and Rude face off with Loz and Yazoo, they get all touchy and weird-faced about something, and I really don't get it. I was also a little lost on exactly how much good and what the purpose of those explosives were.))

Lastly, regarding the Turks.

.....why the @#%$ is Tseng still alive? He was EXPLICITELY stated to be DEAD in VII. Like, Elena found his dead body, fer crisakes. Rufus, I could understand, and forgive, but Tseng? No. It's probably worse than bringing Aerith back in terms of logic. (People say it is Shion. Does Shion look EXACTLY like Tseng? O_o)

Still.

Bad Square. Bad Nomura. Bad. *swats*

Rufus: Liked his VA, and when we actually get to see him, he looks good enough, except for one thing: THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM.

The bandages fall off and we don't see any of the gruesome burns or disfiguration we were expecting. Just our everyday, pretty-boy President on the job. Why was he in a wheel chair, covering himself if he was able to stand (and assumedly, walk), and had no visual scars to speak of?

Still.

Bad Square. Bad Nomura. Bad. *swat*

Well, he had Geostigma, didn't he? I suppose that could explain the covering, but I still thought he would be a little more roughed up from that huge power beam from the Diamond WEAPON. And I still don't get why he's in a wheelchair, unless I completely missed something. Was it all really a ruse to hide Jenova?

Maybe I won't be complaining so much when they give it English dubs, and hopefully, everything makes more sense.

Tifa: Well done, but I think her voice actress was a little too feminine, how ever that is possible. I've always seen Tifa as a strong, independent, girl-of-the-mountains, so when she sounded so effeminately young, it threw me off a little. Not a huge complaint, just my own personal perspective. I also think they would have done better in toning down her 'Asian-ness'. It worked with Cloud, but when I look at Tifa, I feel like I'm looking at an entirely new character. Like I don't even know her.

(Also, I think they needed to cut back on the slow-mo in her church fight scene. I'd rather marvel at the speed that she bounces around and fights back then get a freeze frame every few seconds. Takes away from the fluidity of her normal movements, and the entire battle. There are a few instances where the slow-mo was necessary, but I still think it was over-used.)

Though this is obvious, she felt like the ‘narrator’ of this story. Someone mentioned that Tifa didn’t change or develop much as a person in this story, for being a main character in it. That only seemed right to me, though. It’s kind of hard to keep up with an ever-changing narrator.

Vincent: *claps*

Few, if any, complaints here. Even his part in the SUPAH-HYPAH-CHEERLEADER-JUMP-SEQUENCE was given Vincent’s familiar touch of class by not being over the top, and just the word “Fly!” to encourage Cloud on.

Oh, he flew alright.

Even when Vincent is fighting, he seemed to be less cheesy, and more natural. I think he was the most plausible character in terms of fighting. And his VA was parfait as well. Loved the tone.

Yuffie: I thought her redesign was well-done, (though I’m wondering if she’s got short-shorts, or panties on underneath that utility belt), and her personality was very nice as well. I couldn’t help but grin at the way she acted when we did see her. It seemed perfect. (Though I expected her to have a bigger mouth, and look more tom-boyish, less feminine, due to her attitude (and possibly character art) in FFVII.)

Battle-wise, she got a little crazy with the flying stuff too, but never so bad that I will complain.

Cid: His appearance worked for me. Just right. No complaints.

Red XIII & Cait Sith (The two-headed beast): Why did they leave him out so much? WHY!? (And what was so special about his voice actor that they wrote ‘special appearance’ next to it? Mind you, I thought the VA was perfect, but I don’t get if it’s supposed to be someone important or what…)

Also, he looked too bulky, and his paws were too cartoonish. The fur also seemed to be off. I’m disappointed in how he was overlooked. I was also annoyed that Cait Sith was riding his back. Sure, it was amusing for a little while, but pointless. It’s not like he DID anything in battle. -_-

Barret: He looked WAY too young, and that shirt was just… no. Other then that, he was rather in character. Alright, I guess.

The Three: Hrmmm….

I thought Kadaj was actually quite well done. He seemed like a little kid. A toddler trapped in a teenagers/adults body. I honestly liked how his character worked out.

Loz had me cocking my head to the side occasionally. If Kadaj was a toddler, this guy was infantile when it came to the whole ‘mother’ thing. He served his purpose, but didn’t seem to be much use.

I think Yazoo worked out better than Loz, to be honest. Something about his voice, and his eyes. His face looks as though he is sick, almost, especially in the eye area, which I thought made him look interesting and more villainous, instead of just some feminine, waif-like flunky to Kadaj. I think they could have done more with this character, but there was no point, since he was just one of Kadaj’s henchmen, it seems.

Sephiroth: Done well enough. My sub took away a lot of the meaning behind his dialogue, I can tell, but what can you do. He seemed a little… bulkier than I’m used to, and I wanted to see him poise his sword up by his ear, like I remember. I don’t think he was as lithe as the Sephiroth I remember, but that’s my only real complaint. The black wing at the end made me think someone was trying too hard, but whatever. One Winged Angel, blah blah blah. Style over substance, perhaps? Or was there some deeper meaning behind that?

Music: I loved most of it, except I couldn’t STAND any of the rock tracks, except for the One Winged Angel remix.

Cloud: Ahhh, Cloud. Our little bundle of angst is back. *pats shoulder*

I won't bother going through his motivations or feelings, though. They were pretty apparent for the most part, no matter how weak at times.

I must say though, the very last scene, before the credits. Cloud’s expressions were perfect. In fact, that whole little bit at the end made up for most of the bad crap in the movie, in my eyes.

Lastly, in that very end scene, I wish they would have given Zack’s face a little more expression.

black orb
10-06-2005, 10:30 PM
>>> Awesome movie!!, it surpassed all my expectations.. I wanted to see some chocobos but I guess you can`t have it all..

Ultima Shadow
10-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Story: 6/10 Not that bad for such an action filled movie... but it could still have been made a lot better.

Characters: 7/10 Characters like Cid, Barret and Yuffie etc, didn't get enough attention in this movie and Caith Sith... well... the movie would have been better off without him. Other than that, most characters were great, though.

Eyecandy: 9/10 Now, were're getting to the good stuff. ;) This movie is by far the most well-designed animated movie I've ever seen. The graphics are simply wonderful. Action, action, action... and it's all above great. I would've given it a 10, if it wasn't because there just wasn't enough blood. :cool:

Sound: 9/10 One Winged Angel, nuff said. But seriously, both music and soundeffects rocked... hard.

Hentai: 7/10 Tifa has boobies!!! :hyper:

Overral: 7,5/10. Not great, but still very good. Some stuff could have been made better, but on the other hand, you could say that about just about any movie. :p Even though I felt something was missing, I really enjoyed the show and the fighting scenes are pure gold. Well worth seeing.

Note: My opinion about this movie may change a bit when I get to see it with better translation.

Alive-Cat
10-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Its definately the most amazing movie EVER.

Miriel
10-10-2005, 07:54 AM
For what it is, it was good, fun, entertainment.

squiike
10-10-2005, 08:52 AM
you bunch of fucktards! oh i hate you newborn FF7 fans after seeing this /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif of a movie! it sucked in every possible way! music was as said by one other who has brains and dont just buy anything that comes off square(as they suck money otta people as shinra were sucking mako out of the planet)....crap(the music remix), story was less than expected and that means REALLY /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif! since square has only delivered /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif after FF7(exept xenosaga). the only thing that were joy were the animation.

and why were seph afraid of falling like 20 meters down when he jumped that length a couple of minutes later

one word for this movie and thats stupid...and that goes for all you :AC fans aswell

Primus Inter Pares
10-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Bah, I hate it when people go ahead and resolve plots, although I really did like this movie. The action has to be some of the best I’ve ever seen, which more than makes up for the lack of plot and the fact that Cloud’s personality has been subtlety changed for this movie…
It was mentioned WHY it was changed, after the final battle he didn't want to fight again and he became a worthless hippy :D

I liked the movie, awesomeness in its purest form :love:

Nod
10-10-2005, 02:30 PM
I really enjoyed it, the graphics were brilliant, so much so that I had to rewind the DVD now and then to watch some sequences twice because the amount of visual information being displayed was truly staggering. Im sure that when all movies are made this well i'll probably re-watch this one and think, 'graphics ok, but plot not too fantastic', but for now, the brilliance of the graphics supercedes all other considerations.

My only complaint is due to my being a romantic at heart; thus I was hoping that Cloud would have just built a bridge, gotten over all the crap about Aeris, and hooked up with Tifa. :)

Oh, and the song in the ending credits, pretty rubbish really. :D

squiike
10-10-2005, 02:45 PM
"aduventu childrun" i mean c'mon! they cent even pronounce those few words right. the rest of the english spoken were also crap :mad:

Ethéré
10-12-2005, 01:39 AM
"aduventu childrun" i mean c'mon! they cent even pronounce those few words right. the rest of the english spoken were also crap :mad:

geez, i hope you never have to pronounce words that aren't in your native tongue. hopefully you were joking...

I was not disappointed by the beauty and action, but if I wanted just beauty and action in a game/movie, I wouldn't set my standards at Final Fantasy-quality. I wish that there was a bit more balance of this strange concept called character/plot development along with the action. Mindless fun...if the characters weren't those we already knew, then it wouldn't entertain many. I guess I just wish that it wasn't only fanservice, but could stand on its own. :(

Ultima Shadow
10-12-2005, 11:36 AM
you bunch of smurftards! oh i hate you newborn FF7 fans after seeing this /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif of a movie! it sucked in every possible way! music was as said by one other who has brains and dont just buy anything that comes off square(as they suck money otta people as shinra were sucking mako out of the planet)....crap(the music remix), story was less than expected and that means REALLY /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif! since square has only delivered /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif after FF7(exept xenosaga). the only thing that were joy were the animation.

and why were seph afraid of falling like 20 meters down when he jumped that length a couple of minutes later

one word for this movie and thats stupid...and that goes for all you :AC fans aswellxD!!!

You're hillarious. :p

Monol
10-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Finally! I thought i was the only pearson who noticed that Tseng was still alive in the movie i was like "hey wait a tic...didnt this sucker kick the bucket?" ....that was my only beef with the movie...other than that i thought it was incredible.....though for a moment i felt incomplete by the movie...i thought that my fav. character (along with cait sith) is the lead in the next installment that will be the bridge to seal the deal :cool:

Cool movie though.... :cool:

Hugomand
10-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Advent Children... OMG what a great follow-up for FF7. Although there are some things I would like to have changed, it still rocks. Nanaki, eww... Sorry to say, but he freaks me out, they should have given him a darker voice, and make him a little more harsh looking. He lookes like some kinda teddy bear to me.

And the battles are a little to fast, IMO. I can't really follow it. That's a shame really.

But overall, the movie rocks.... I really love it... :love: