PDA

View Full Version : The Invisible Sheath...

GunbladeMaster
09-29-2005, 06:26 PM
wats up with the characters takin out their weapons during a scene and then them "magically disappearing" in thin air. (squall`d prolly look better with a sheath anyways.)

ThroneofDravaris
09-29-2005, 06:33 PM
It's not just this game, it happens a lot in video games in general. Suffice to say, they do have somewhere to hold there weapons, they just can’t be bothered drawing them…

GunbladeMaster
09-29-2005, 06:37 PM
damn i didnt think this 1 thru. was bored. decided to make a thread

G SpOtZ
09-29-2005, 11:11 PM
everybody is a sorcerer and sorceress and their weapons are in another world, all they need to do is reach into the blackhole in their pocket which leads to another dimension and they can pull their weapon out.

also, the hero's of the stories are propagators.

and they time travelled when they went into space.

and esthar is controlling the world with mulicolored floating hexagonal panels.

rubah
09-29-2005, 11:18 PM
I thought most people would agree that squall's belts were used for his gunblade?

Gilgamesh of Legends
09-29-2005, 11:26 PM
his belts hold the blade, but it owuld ruin the effect if it showed

Big D
09-30-2005, 02:01 AM
Squall's gunblade would be impossible to draw from a sheath, since the blade is longer than his arms. He could, however, hand it through a his belts - he's definitely got enough leather to support the weight.

Selphie's dress has two loops of cloth on the back, kind of like pockets except bottomless. I'd guess that's where she keeps her nunchaku.

'Course, every character's weapon disappears when it's not in use, since that'd make things look awkward - even though it'd be better from a realist perspective. Imagine Squall trying to hug Rinoa without accidentally slicing her, or him trying to run from the Black Widow tank without his blade twaking his leg at every step...

DJZen
09-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Squall's gunblade would be impossible to draw from a sheath, since the blade is longer than his arms.

*cough*baldric*cough*

Gilgamesh of Legends
09-30-2005, 02:49 AM
he might be able to draw it, he will have to use a different position

Skyblade
09-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Squall's gunblade would be impossible to draw from a sheath, since the blade is longer than his arms.

Wrong, actually. It is possible to draw a sword longer than your arms. It all depends on the placement of the frog and the positioning of the belt. Many belts that hold swords (including Squall's) are lower than the belt loops on a pair of pants. If the sword is not longer from the top of the sheath to the arm fully extended in the opposite direction, it can be drawn. And the gunblade isn't that large.

Big D
09-30-2005, 07:15 AM
Wrong, actually. It is possible to draw a sword longer than your arms. It all depends on the placement of the frog and the positioning of the belt. Many belts that hold swords (including Squall's) are lower than the belt loops on a pair of pants. If the sword is not longer from the top of the sheath to the arm fully extended in the opposite direction, it can be drawn. And the gunblade isn't that large.Of course you can draw a long blade if it's got a short sheath - or if there are places you can get a grip on the blade itself in order to draw a greater length, or if the sheath is positioned just so. That's theoretically possible with the gunblade, since Squall's in-game drawing/storing motion shows him fully extending his right arm to tuck the tip of the blade into his belt; at that point the weapon disappears. However, since it's about four feet long and several inches wide (about 4-5", judging by the picture), a sheath would be less practical than simply hanging the weapon through a loop, kind of like an axe loop. Less junk to get tangled around your feet when the weapon's drawn, and also a lot less weight too - the blade's width and thickness, not to mention the gun mechanism, would require a rather bulky sheath or scabbard.

I'm getting a 4'8" functional replica of a German Zweihänder made, so I'm only too aware of what's required in order to make a large weapon draw-able:D

BackRoomKid
09-30-2005, 07:34 AM
two people walked in Clouds body in Final Fantasy 7

TWO PEOPLE....Barret being one of them

'nuff said

nik0tine
09-30-2005, 08:25 AM
What I found to be more amusing were the SeeD's who drew their "invisible weapons" during the hunt for headmaster Cid. :p

Big D
09-30-2005, 11:45 AM
What I found to be more amusing were the SeeD's who drew their "invisible weapons" during the hunt for headmaster Cid. :pYeah, that was kinda funny - I couldn't tell if they were supposed to be holding swords or guns, or maybe adopting an unarmed fighting stance. I guess they didn't want to take the time to program weapons for these guys:p

Gilgamesh of Legends
10-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Wrong, actually. It is possible to draw a sword longer than your arms. It all depends on the placement of the frog and the positioning of the belt. Many belts that hold swords (including Squall's) are lower than the belt loops on a pair of pants. If the sword is not longer from the top of the sheath to the arm fully extended in the opposite direction, it can be drawn. And the gunblade isn't that large.Of course you can draw a long blade if it's got a short sheath - or if there are places you can get a grip on the blade itself in order to draw a greater length, or if the sheath is positioned just so. That's theoretically possible with the gunblade, since Squall's in-game drawing/storing motion shows him fully extending his right arm to tuck the tip of the blade into his belt; at that point the weapon disappears. However, since it's about four feet long and several inches wide (about 4-5", judging by the picture), a sheath would be less practical than simply hanging the weapon through a loop, kind of like an axe loop. Less junk to get tangled around your feet when the weapon's drawn, and also a lot less weight too - the blade's width and thickness, not to mention the gun mechanism, would require a rather bulky sheath or scabbard.

I'm getting a 4'8" functional replica of a German Zweihänder made, so I'm only too aware of what's required in order to make a large weapon draw-able:D

the only weapon ive tried this is with a katana :)

kikimm
10-01-2005, 02:55 AM
This is one of those times where you just gotta remind yourself "It's a video game."

BackRoomKid
10-01-2005, 03:07 AM
What I found to be more amusing were the SeeD's who drew their "invisible weapons" during the hunt for headmaster Cid. :p

LOL....agreed

i'm sure that squared the NORG followers