PDA

View Full Version : Serenity

Giga Guess
09-30-2005, 10:04 PM
I watched this movie the other day....and I LOVED it! It was so funny! And touching!

Dreddz
09-30-2005, 10:05 PM
seen ads, not in any rush to see it :)

Chris
09-30-2005, 10:06 PM
I haven't heard about it. Who stars in it?

Dreddz
09-30-2005, 10:06 PM
No one special.....

Giga Guess
09-30-2005, 10:15 PM
It's technically the wrap-up for Firefly, I think...

Luara
09-30-2005, 10:37 PM
......... Dont know her. :/

Shlup
09-30-2005, 11:16 PM
I just started watching Firefly yesterday. :o

Strider
09-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Firefly was pretty awesome, so I may have to check this out.

Shoeberto
09-30-2005, 11:44 PM
I'd really like to watch this, but I don't think any of my friends do. I'd rather not wait this one out for the DVD.

Luara
09-30-2005, 11:49 PM
oh, just give me an image of that.,..serenity.

Slothy
10-01-2005, 12:04 AM
I'll be seeing it tomorrow most likely. Firefly is my second favorite TV series of all time, and considering it managed that with only a half a season worth of episodes (not to mention first seasons generally turn out to be the worst season for any show that doesn't overstay it's welcome) this movie is a must see for me.

kikimm
10-01-2005, 12:10 AM
No one special.....

No one special as in, no one really famous, or no good actors? The latter, I could understand, but the former...I don't think it matters who's in it as long as they play the part well.

I'm also fairly excited to see it, although I haven't seen Firefly, so it probably won't mean as much to me. Although I don't think anyone would be willing to go with me, so I'll probably have to wait months after it's released on DVD to see it. :( I don't like going to the theaters alone.

Shoeberto
10-01-2005, 12:13 AM
I think the cast is the same as the show, and I never heard any complaints about them. So no, no big names, but I like the idea of a good sci-fi flick without some big jerk actor/actress taking up the screen the whole time. When Star Wars was made, there was only one big name in it, and he never made a screen appearance until the third. So y'know.

XxSephirothxX
10-01-2005, 12:16 AM
I'm going to see it tomorrow and I'm pretty excited about it. The reviews have been quite good.

Leeza
10-01-2005, 01:47 AM
I haven't watched all of the episodes of Firefly yet so it looks like I'm going to have to rent Serenity at a later time. I am looking forward to it. :cat:

Slothy
10-01-2005, 04:13 AM
I haven't watched all of the episodes of Firefly yet so it looks like I'm going to have to rent Serenity at a later time. I am looking forward to it. :cat:

You don't actually need to have seen the whole show (or any for that matter) to really like the movie. I actually ended up seeing it tonight with my dad. He thought it was great and he hasn't watched a single episode. It really stands on its own very well. That said you will probably get more out of it after seeing the whole series, but if you've seen any of it at all, that'd be all you need.

Anyway, long story short, I loved it. It was everything I could have hoped for as someone who's been a fan of the show since it originally aired. I laughed, I cried (almost), I had fun. I give it a solid 11.94857/10.

Germ Hamee
10-01-2005, 04:56 AM
I'm way pumped. I never got to see the entire series, but what I saw was excellent, and I'm a massive fan of Joss Whedon. I'm hopefully going to be seeing it this Sunday, along with Mirrormask.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-02-2005, 03:51 AM
First: I've never seen an episode of Firefly.

All right: I don't think I've ever been so captivated by a movie. I mean of course it was experted produced anyhow, but it got me <i>in</i>to it, man. Written and directed in a style incredibly refreshing from the Hollywood norm; perfectly balanced between the tongue-in-cheek comedic and the life-lesson meaningful; host to actors with great feel for timing and nuance; carefully amalgamated from elements of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Western; and set to a beautifully poignant Celtic score, Serenity is very good movie okay guys?

Giga Guess
10-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Agreed.

crashNUMBERS
10-02-2005, 04:35 AM
*Trusts Kishi. Goes to watch*

But no seriously I want to go see it...

Shlup
10-02-2005, 04:38 AM
I agree with Kishi. I only saw the first episode of Firefly, but I didn't even have to have seen that to love this movie. It screamed of "this movie was made for sci-fi fans" rather than the typical "this movie was concocted by Hollywood hotshots to make money."

The characters are all just wonderful characters. I really entirely loved this movie.

Except when the killed Washburn. He was my favorite character, dammit!

Kittay
10-02-2005, 04:43 AM
Big fan of Firefly.

Must... see... Serenity...

<3

Miriel
10-02-2005, 04:54 AM
I've been hearing great things about the movie. I haven't seen Firefly but from what I've heard, Serenity is an entity in itself and doesn't require prior knowledge about the TV series to enjoy the movie.

Also, Joss Whedon is a genius. I'm not even kidding about this, the man is the master of Sci-fi and I will watch anything he puts out. Even if it's a story about how boogers took over the world.

I don't know any other person who can bring so much wit and humanity to any story like Whedon can. Not even J.J. Abrams can hold a torch to this guy. I'm a Whedon fangirl, I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Winter Nights
10-02-2005, 05:35 AM
All right: I don't think I've ever been so captivated by a movie. I mean of course it was experted produced anyhow, but it got me <i>in</i>to it, man. Written and directed in a style incredibly refreshing from the Hollywood norm; perfectly balanced between the tongue-in-cheek comedic and the life-lesson meaningful; host to actors with great feel for timing and nuance; carefully amalgamated from elements of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Western; and set to a beautifully poignant Celtic score, Serenity is very good movie okay guys?
Pretty much sums it up right there. :)

I saw it yesterday and I must say... This movie was an emotional rollercoaster for me. I loved these characters in the show and each one was top notch here. These characters topped with Joss Whedon's writing made me earnestly care for them in ways I have never cared for any fictional character. I laughed and cried during this movie. And trust me, no piece of entertainment has ever brought tears to my eyes. The pain felt just as real as the humor. This movie left me feeling cheated from almost every other movie experience. I never knew that a movie, especially a sci-fi movie, could be this good. Whether you've seen the show or not, see this movie. Trust me on this. I'm seeing again tomorrow. :D

Skyblade
10-02-2005, 05:51 AM
I agree with Kishi. I only saw the first episode of Firefly, but I didn't even have to have seen that to love this movie. It screamed of "this movie was made for sci-fi fans" rather than the typical "this movie was concocted by Hollywood hotshots to make money."

The characters are all just wonderful characters. I really entirely loved this movie.

Except when the killed Washburn. He was my favorite character, dammit!

Well put.

Once you see all the episodes, I think you'll be upset that they killed off Book too. He was awesome, though not quite as silly as Wash.

Wonderful lines. Good plot. Now if only it's popular enough that it gets the TV show going again, or makes enough money that a Farscape movie would be worthwhile...

Shadowdust
10-02-2005, 06:19 AM
I totally agree with all of the positive comments on this thread. Joss Whedon has done it again, showing us what makes a good movie. I was a huge fan of Firefly when it was on and was very upset when I heard it was cancelled. To see it on the big screen seems like some pretty sweet justice to me.

The characters and storyline continued to be top notch. And I really liked that some of my questions from the series were finally answered with this movie. Nonetheless, as others have mentioned, you don't have to watch the series to love the movie. It manages to cover the recurring storyline from the series very well.

The only thing I was pissed about was that Wash and Shepherd were killed. I really liked their characters on the series and feel if anything else is created in the Firefly universe that it won't be quite the same without them. :( Anyhow, I guess we should expect character sacrifices in the world of Joss Whedon. *cough*Doyle*cough*

The Captain
10-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Just to reply to those spoilers quickly, if the film does well, word is that Joss hasn't ruled out somehow having the entire cast back for another go round. I don't know how that would be possible, but I'm not one to doubt Mr. Whedon on anything.

Take care all.

Shadowdust
10-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Just to reply to those spoilers quickly, if the film does well, word is that Joss hasn't ruled out somehow having the entire cast back for another go round. I don't know how that would be possible, but I'm not one to doubt Mr. Whedon on anything.

Take care all.

Indeed. Anyone who's a fan of Buffy or Angel knows that when he likes an actor or an actress, he'll find any way to keep them showing up in the series. I guess since Firefly isn't as supernatural though, it will be a bit more difficult. :p Well I guess only time can tell.

EDIT: Hmmm...now that you mention that, I do recall my wife saying that she saw a special about Serenity and while Alan Tudyk, Wash, was being interviewed, he hinted at the fact that there will be two more movies. I'm sure that it all rides on how it does in the theaters.

Though the theater wasn't exactly packed this afternoon, I did notice that everyone who was in front of me and behind me in the ticket line were getting tickets for Serenity. So it's very possible that we could have sequels. I believe the movie cost $40 million to make so if it can pull in $50 or $60 million, I'm sure that will please Universal enough.

Winter Nights
10-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Flashbacks or the adventure being tied to one of those characters would work. Who knows. Those types of stories prolly wouldn't work that well for Wash, but might for Book, as he's the one with a past.

The Captain
10-02-2005, 07:12 AM
"Though the theater wasn't exactly packed this afternoon, I did notice that everyone who was in front of me and behind me in the ticket line were getting tickets for Serenity. So it's very possible that we could have sequels. I believe the movie cost $40 million to make so if it can pull in $50 or $60 million, I'm sure that will please Universal enough."

From what I've gathered, heard and read, if the film grosses $80 million globally, not just within the USA, Universal will greenlight a sequel or perhaps two more films! Though it would be my dream for the series to come back, I can live very well with the films.

Take care all.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-02-2005, 07:40 AM
more movies would be great. and If youve seen the series then you know you know nothing about books past. that would make a great move, some info on that, and one about the war would be cool too. Ive seen the entire series and I loved it. the movie was the perfect way to wrap up the season, and I think the the way they explained the reavers was brilliant.

Miriel
10-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Yikes, just saw the Friday box office numbers for Serenity. 3.9 million on Friday, this thing will be lucky to hit 15 million for the weekend.

But considering the total numbers for Friday, Serenity isn't doing too badly.

If you people enjoyed the movie, get your friends out to watch it.

Winter Nights
10-02-2005, 08:15 AM
Yikes, just saw the Friday box office numbers for Serenity. 3.9 million on Friday, this thing will be lucky to hit 15 million for the weekend.

But considering the total numbers for Friday, Serenity isn't doing too badly.

If you people enjoyed the movie, get your friends out to watch it.
Considering that it actually released in fewer theaters than any of this weekend's other releases, it's not doing horrible. It does need some boost, though. Going to take some some major push to get those numbers up. I saw it Friday, with my wife and sister, and I'm seeing it again tomorrow with my parents (they are fans of the show and I'll use any excuse to see this again). I plan to see it a third time next weekend, prolly dragging a group of friends.

Miriel
10-02-2005, 09:24 AM
If there's enough positive word-of-mouth with Serenity, the final numbers could possibly be pushed up to somewhere around $50 or $60 million which would be VERY good for Serenity.

But yeah, the overall box office on Friday was one of the lowest this entire year and that's really saying something given how crappy the numbers have been all year long. I mean, my god, it's ridiculously low.

Faith
10-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Oh my god. I cannot even begin to express my love for this movie and television show. It is WONDERFULLY written, has a great cast, and its.....freakin' super! It is a hilarious film, has its action sequences and major plot turners. If you haven't read any spoilers or seen the film, 3 characters die in the movie; one of witch was my FAVORITE. It kind of made me angry that Joss (the writer) would do that to fans, but I think the point he was trying to get across was that PEOPLE DIE, even the ones you care about.
Even if you haven't seen Firefly, you can still see the film. They give you plenty of info throughout the movie, so you aren't lost and confused. Firefly just gives you more of an emotional feel to the characters.
So, go see it. I PROMISE that you will like it. If you have seen and like Star Wars, Dead Like Me or played the Final Fantasy series, it will be $8.50 well spent.

Shadowdust
10-02-2005, 05:34 PM
The box office numbers were released for the weekend and Serenity ranked as #2 this weekend. It grossed a total of $10,141,000. The only thing that is going to save this film is word of mouth. Hopefully the movie will remain in theaters long enough for it to have a chance.

Faith
10-02-2005, 05:44 PM
god. First it was cancelled by one of the worst networks ever *cough* Fox *cough* and now it going to crash at the box office. Oh well, at least I know its a great show.

Giga Guess
10-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Is Firefly on DVD...?

Faith
10-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Is Firefly on DVD...?

Yes, for about a year now...at least.

Giga Guess
10-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Hey, be nice! Up 'til now, I haven't had much/any interest in the series.

Faith
10-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Hey, be nice! Up 'til now, I haven't had much/any interest in the series.

I wasn't being rude. I just don't know how long its been out. Sorry if I worded it that way.

Giga Guess
10-02-2005, 06:01 PM
'Sall good.

XxSephirothxX
10-02-2005, 06:12 PM
I saw Serenity yesterday, and, I have to say, I thought it was a fabulous film. The writing was excellent, the characters were great, and the whole thing was just a ton of fun. Joss Whedon deserves tons of credit for being able to write and direct such a phenomenal picture.

Slothy
10-02-2005, 06:22 PM
As for how it's doing in the Box Office, are those ticket sales for America only? If so, throwing in Canada's could easily add a few million more I'd think. Regardless, the numbers should come up to a more respectable level in total over the coming weeks, and once it's released in other parts of the world. There's always future DVD sales as well. It's pretty early to tell whether it'll make enough to warrant a sequel, but given what I've seen of box office numbers this year, it seems to be doing quite well.

Shadowflare
10-02-2005, 06:39 PM
You don't actually need to have seen the whole show (or any for that matter) to really like the movie.

That's good. I haven't seen a single episode, yet this looks like it's right my alley. I'll probably go to see it next week. It does look awesome.

Faith
10-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Not trying to be rude here, but they are marked as spoilers for a reason. I can understand your a little excited, and you didn't give away who dies, but I still think that's saying a bit too much for anyone who hasn't seen the movie.

I see your point. Changed it. :)

Shadowdust
10-02-2005, 06:53 PM
As for how it's doing in the Box Office, are those ticket sales for America only? If so, throwing in Canada's could easily add a few million more I'd think.

I'm not sure but I think it's for the US only.

The Captain
10-02-2005, 07:39 PM
The $10 million domestic take (Which is only US I believe) is within the range of what Universal had hoped for, so all is not lost. There's still work to be done of course, but it's not as hopeless as it initially seemed.

Take care all.

Slothy
10-02-2005, 08:44 PM
I see your point. Changed it. :)

Thanks. Just didn't want anyone seeing that and then going to the movie expecting that to happen. Part of how effective those scenes were was not knowing. Changed my post as well to avoid ruining it for anyone myself.

The $10 million domestic take (Which is only US I believe) is within the range of what Universal had hoped for, so all is not lost. There's still work to be done of course, but it's not as hopeless as it initially seemed.

Take care all.

Glad to hear that. $10 million really isn't bad for a movie released this time of year, especially one with no well known actors in it. I'll still try and do my part by perhaps going out and seeing it again. It was kind of funny; I went to see Flightplan last night, and though I enjoyed the movie, at the end I couldn't help but think how much more I would have enjoyed seeing Serenity a second time.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-03-2005, 01:35 AM
You don't actually need to have seen the whole show (or any for that matter) to really like the movie.

That's good. I haven't seen a single episode, yet this looks like it's right my alley. I'll probably go to see it next week. It does look awesome.
Yeah, you dont need to see any of the series, but it would help to explain the behavior of the characters. And you get a better understanding of the reavers.
It was funny. When I went to see the movie, someone had Janes hat on. the beanie one that his mom made and he got in the mail the episode they recieved the 'dead' organ dude that they knew from the war. :p

Optium
10-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Yeah I wasn't interested in it either but I just looked at Rotten Tomatoes
and it's gotten 80% good reviews, so I'll check it out eventually. Isn't it
by the guy who made Buffy or something?

.opt

Shlup
10-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Last night I had a party at my mother's house and BJ and I were pushing for our friends to go see it. xD I'd go see it again! There's just so much room for story; they have to make more.

Winter Nights
10-03-2005, 06:22 PM
$10 million isn't bad for a film based on a series most people never watched or heard of. I didn't expect much from the first weekend.. It's a really great film and has been getting great reviews. I think word of mouth will carry this movie further.

Miriel
10-03-2005, 08:52 PM
I think Box Office Mojo was projecting a $15 million opening weekend gross, so the final numbers really aren't that far off the trajectory.

This coming weekend will really determine how well the film does. As long as there isn't a big drop off (a la Corpse Bride :() then Serenity will perform decently for the duration of its run. And yeah, it's pretty much a given that this thing is a cult hit.

Winter Nights
10-04-2005, 06:17 AM
Not sure how many Firefly/Serenity fans have seen this, but there was a viral advertisement series that was leaked on the web over the last few months called the R. Tam Sessions. Won't make much sense to anyone who hasn't seen the series or the movie, but for fan's it's an interesting look at River's fall into psychosis. A fan site collected them and has them available for download, both in their original seperated format and spliced together as one reel. It's a little disturbing, but good stuff.

http://www.session416.com/

Germ Hamee
10-05-2005, 02:51 PM
That was the most satisfying experience I've had in theaters for a very, very long time. I'd only seen a couple episodes of Firefly so I wasn't too familiar with the story, but everything still made sense and was more than enjoyable. I plan on going back several times with my friends.

It also prompted me to run to BestBuy immediately to buy the TV series. It was the last copy they had. I'm curious to see exactly how much the TV DVDs go up in sales this month.

Shadowdust
10-06-2005, 07:26 AM
So far, domestically Box Office Mojo states that Serenity is now up to $11,520,665. Overseas, it only lists Australia so far. So in Australia Serenity has made $1,103,054.