PDA

View Full Version : Origins or Dawn of Souls

Brian The Pink Shark
10-01-2005, 05:18 PM
i am thinking about getting ff1 and 2 but im not sure which version to get

i have both a GBA and a PS2, so i can get both origins and dawn of souls

trouble is i cant find origins anywhere and i would prefer to play it on my playstation, Dawn of Souls is everywhere though

this is were you come in, help me make a choice

which sould i get? :choc:

beautiful'rays
10-01-2005, 05:23 PM
I have origins, it's for the playstation too. It's okay, but I have troubles keeping myself playing it because I get stuck alot and it's even on easy mode. I don't know which one I'd get if I were you, but I know that origins has great gameplay *unless you're a horrible playa like me and get stuck every two seconds.*

boys from the dwarf
10-01-2005, 07:25 PM
if i were you id get FF dawn of souls because it has FF 1 and 2 and has extra dungeons for FF1 and a sequel for when you complete FF2. some of the enemy stats are higher and its easier to level up on FF1 but its still the same story. FF2 has only a few differences but thats mainly hp of bosses.

Brian The Pink Shark
10-01-2005, 09:54 PM
if i were you id get FF dawn of souls because it has FF 1 and 2 and has extra dungeons for FF1 and a sequel for when you complete FF2. some of the enemy stats are higher and its easier to level up on FF1 but its still the same story. FF2 has only a few differences but thats mainly hp of bosses.

sounds good, im pretty convinced by that :choc:

Cruise Control
10-03-2005, 01:05 AM
DOS, I downloaded it and its kick-ass, but don't go into the secret dungeon (as soon as its available) feeling badass, I get beaten so badly.

Brian The Pink Shark
10-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I got daen of souls yesterday, it's great, i havent played ff2 yet but ff1 kicks ass thanks for helping me decide folks :choc:

Fire_Emblem776
10-04-2005, 07:56 AM
the ps has superior music

DarkLadyNyara
10-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Not that you currently have yours. :D :D :D

Kijunaa
10-07-2005, 08:48 PM
DoS is alot easier and has tons of extras. Origins has an FMV or two and better music, but unbalanced (or just crappy) gameplay

Fireblade13
10-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Better Names and MP plus the main reason its Portable!

Paul
10-12-2005, 01:25 PM
my version of dawn of souls seems to have a UK translation. the credits at the end were for a "UK team" and there's things like "colour" and "armour" instead of color and armor. plus like a lot of NPCs say things like "BLEEDIN'" or "CHEERS MATE".

was the US release like this as well or just the UK one? it's nice anyway.

Carmilla
01-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Dawn of Souls is so pathetically easy thats its not even funny. From changing the level cap to 99 instead of 50, to adding Hi Potions along with the original Potions, and to doubling or tripling the amount of spells the mages cast. Not to mention the newly added items such as a Heal3 staff and a staff that allows INFINITE casts of Nuke/Flare.

Because of this i say go with Origins. :mog:

Rengori
01-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Actually, DoS had supieror music despite its technological inferiorities.

Brian The Pink Shark
01-16-2006, 07:54 PM
OMG this thread is so old, since i created it i have completed both FF1 and FF2, someone please close this :choc:

Fatal Impurity
01-17-2006, 02:53 PM
cool! does anyone have the rom of it? ive got the original snes versions but the gba version look way superior!

a nirvana fan
01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
I personally think there both the same...with tiny differences

Fatal Impurity
01-17-2006, 08:40 PM
well the gba version is better right?

DarkLadyNyara
01-17-2006, 09:20 PM
The GBA has better dialouge, has extra dungeons, and is easier. I prefer it, but they're both good.

Captain Maxx Power
01-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Origins is nearer the original FF1 experience. Fifty levels, very little castable items, set stat gains etc. In all honesty it's a more pure form compared to DoS, which by the end of the game turns your fighters into the only decent characters and your mages redundant due to the huge amount of items with high-power spells attached to them. If you're looking for an easy ride then FF1 on GBA is the way to go.

FF2 on the other hand is really almost identical in it's GBA incarnation as it is to it's NES or PSX version. The main difference is it comes with the new dungeon after the end of the "first quest". It also fixes a few bugs such as the infamous select+cancel bug.

I guess if you want a "real" FF1 experience, get Origins. If you want an extended FF2 one, get DoS. Of course I have both versions so I have a choice in the matter.

Rengori
01-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Select+cancel? What's that do?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that FFI DoS uses an MP based system rather than the "You can only cast X many level Y spells per days."

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
01-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Well... Origins is more nifty despite the lack of dungeons...

the GBA version is quite easy and while the enemies and bosses were beefed up, going through the extra dungeons will make even Chaos die in a few shots (1200 every attack and 20000 HP, that's like 5 turns!)

Crossblades
01-18-2006, 02:52 PM
I never played Origins, but FF I&II DoS is very enjoyable

Shaun
01-18-2006, 04:12 PM
I am thoroughly enjoying Dawn of Souls. I recommned you get it, although I have never played Origins (I don't think).

EDIT: Just noticed you got it. Wise choice.

DJZen
01-19-2006, 12:33 AM
If you want to truly appreciate FF:DoS, you need to play the NES version. If you don't shudder when someone mentions "buying 99 heal potions" you simply are not a hardcore FF fan.

Shaun
01-19-2006, 02:09 PM
*tries to translate sig*

Um... Chiyoga...something...ii, something else, then yo.

Meh, forget it. I've gotta try and learn hiragana and katakana a lot better. :)

Duncan
01-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Nice thing about Origins is that you can play it in the easy way or hard way (like the orginal NES version) but with a nicer interface.

DJZen
01-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Even the harder version is easier in some ways though. For instance, you actually have less of a chance of running into Warmech.

DarkLadyNyara
01-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Which would keep you from getting your ass handed to you, yes. But if you're trying to find the SOB...

Sefie1999AD
01-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Even the harder version is easier in some ways though. For instance, you actually have less of a chance of running into Warmech.

I thought FF Origins on Normal difficulty was a lot harder than the NES version. The Ice Cave is a nightmare, the enemies just love ambushing you and killing your party with Fire3 and Bane spells before you get a single move. I never had that kind of problems in NES. Every boss in PSX also has double HP, and they tend to use their most dangerous moves, such as Lich II always starts the boss fight with Flare (Nuke) in PSX. As for WarMech, he wasn't that hard on NES, but in PSX, it takes you hours to even find him because he's such a WarChicken, and when you do, he has double HP and Auto-Regen, so he's a lot harder to kill.

Actually, DoS had supieror music despite its technological inferiorities.

That's hard to say, IMHO. I mean, the synth quality of PSX's music is clearly better, but I thought the arrangements in the GBA version were done in a better way.

I haven't fully played FF1 DoS yet, so I can't make a final verdict, but I think the DoS version is a lot easier than NES and PSX versions, maybe even too easy. You gain levels really quickly, equipment and spells are cheaper, and you'll have loads of MP. Though there are a few things that make it a bit harder: there seems to be no Mythril/Silver Swords in Elfland, and the stats gained by the party seem to be very random. My White Mage and Black Mage had almost 50 more HP than my Thief and Red Mage at one part, IIRC.

Rogue
01-20-2006, 02:22 PM
dawn of souls is better because it has more stuff the more stuff the better and also whats better then taken ff1 with you

Angel of Death
01-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Well I didn't exactly go out of my way to buy an FF Origins with slightly extra content and portability. I'd just prefer to look at it as if you need something to do on the go, Dawn of Souls. Otherwise, Origins.

And DarkLadyNyara, I could swear I recognize your Avatar. A memory in the back of my head, FF Origins' FF2 cinematic?