PDA

View Full Version : [Graphic Design] GIMP help

crashNUMBERS
10-02-2005, 02:06 AM
I must say GIMP is amazing!! And free!! No trial!! Well I need help. I wanna make a pictures background transparent (Invinsible) but everytime I use it as a background it just turns black. Wtf. There's a selecion called FG to Transparent and that's what Im trying to use...

Dr Unne
10-02-2005, 02:19 AM
Transparency in the Gimp is called "alpha". If you go in the Layers window, and right click the layer and Add Alpha Channel, it will add the ability for that layer to show transparency. Then if you select something with the selection tool and CTRL+X, or Edit+Cut, or use the Eraser tool, it will leave transparency behind. Before adding an alpha channel, it will use the current background color for those things, instead of giving you transparency.

If you're making a new image, you can select the background to be transparent by default, instead of "Background Color" or whatever the default is. Then you don't need to add an alpha channel by hand.

When you save the file and are ready to use it, save it in a format that supports transparency. Your best bet is PNG depending on what you want to use the image for. GIF supports transparency, but not full alpha-transparency (so far as I know); GIF is either transparent or not. JPEG doesn't support transparency at all.

Alpha-transparency (which PNG supports) lets a pixel be, say, greenish blue AND 50% transparent so it tints the background greenish-blue when you view the image on top of another image. Note that Internet Explorer is a broken piece of crap, and can't display images in this format, in case you were thinking of using this for a web site.

If you're going to save the image and work on it again later, then Gimp's native XCF format will let you pick up working from where you left off. Saving in other formats may force you to flatten the file into one layer (PNG for example), or destroy the transparency / reduce the color depth (GIF will probably do this), or reduce the image quality due to lossy compression (JPEG).

crashNUMBERS
10-02-2005, 02:34 AM
Nah I use Fire Fox...

crashNUMBERS
10-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Im still having diffuculties. I made the layers transparent but I can't make a picture background transparent. How??

bipper
10-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Im still having diffuculties. I made the layers transparent but I can't make a picture background transparent. How??

Well here you are coupying the picture, and its background color- thats not cool. What you need to do is select the background color (the white or whatever, in the back of thie pic, and delete it. The grey/white squares should show through from the background layer (assuming you have tranparency). That will indicate that part of the pic is then, in effect, transparent.

Bipper

crashNUMBERS
10-04-2005, 12:01 AM
K more help. For some reason there used to be 3 windows. Now there are only 2. The tools management and the image window. No more "extra" window. The one that manages your pics. Cause I wanna take off the transparency to save my pics on JPG files...

bipper
10-04-2005, 01:35 AM
All windows can be opened from file -- dialogs

crashNUMBERS
10-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Ah. Lemme try this...

crashNUMBERS
10-09-2005, 04:19 AM
How do I save this crap. I want to make a little sig and the damn thing only saves the letters. I say it's because of the border automatically setting to letters but when I put it to full size it just shows the same letters without the rest of the picture...

Rengori
10-09-2005, 04:41 AM
If it uses layers like Photoshop, try merging all the layers. I don't know though, I'm just guessing.

crashNUMBERS
10-09-2005, 04:55 AM
Yeah I tried and it seems to work. As a matter of fact. So I don't keep on making threads can you mods let me keep this one while the others get closed?? Not trying to give myself an excuse to double post though...

Leeza
10-09-2005, 06:09 AM
Your first one wasn't closed, crash. So, I've merged the two threads that you had started on GIMP and yes, please use this thread again for your next question. :)

crashNUMBERS
10-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Thank you leeza. :)

crashNUMBERS
01-03-2006, 04:04 PM
In GIMP, is it possible to Gradient Fill a text?? I know Photo Shop can do it but I'm not sure if GIMP can...

Ashley Schovitz
01-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Okay I've downloaded it now and I'm al confused, I thought it would be simple but even when i click on help it says that the help is not available and check your inmstallation, what now?

Erdrick Holmes
01-25-2006, 12:52 AM
Where can I download GIMP at?

MecaKane
01-25-2006, 01:13 AM
Take your pick (http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22GIMP+download%22&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official)

Erdrick Holmes
01-25-2006, 01:45 AM
How do I stretch the image with my mouse?

I mean how do I stretch out the size of something before I anchor it into the picture?

KoShiatar
01-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Okay I've downloaded it now and I'm al confused, I thought it would be simple but even when i click on help it says that the help is not available and check your inmstallation, what now?

There is an online user manual available here:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/

Also, you can download a help package file (for Windows) here.

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

Edit: Advanced tutorial pages, anyone?

Morningstar
02-11-2006, 03:28 AM
I'm having trouble. I'm using the paint dump tool, and when I use it, the whole screen goes blank. :( I have a Mac, if that makes any difference.

Psydekick
06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Can i just ask b4 i download it, is it better than photoshop?

~Sora!

crono_logical
06-01-2006, 09:05 PM
It's free, so you can download it anyway without pirating, and try out for yourself, and if you don't like it, you can uninstall it :p I prefer it since it's less bloaty, and anything I've needed to do, I can do in it, although some things take a bit of working out due to lack of decent documentation (or me being lazy to find it :p ) Plus it can do animations, which Photoshop can't :D

rubah
06-01-2006, 09:29 PM
I like it because it saves PSDs much smaller than PS7 does. Very handy for when those smaller ones are 7mb on their own!

Medi
06-16-2006, 01:30 AM
I downloaded Gimp, but none of the files work on my computer. Can anyone help?

bipper
06-16-2006, 03:16 AM
what do you mean files? If you are running windows, you need to pay a little attention. On the left at www.gimp.org you will see gimp for windows. click that link, and you will be brought to another site that hosts GIMP and the GTK for windows - download both.

Install the GTK and then install the gimp.

You can install gimp on a thumb drive as well. www.portableapps.com has a portable version that does not rely at all on the GTK being nativley installed. GOOD STUFF.

Bipper

Medi
06-16-2006, 04:46 AM
Crap, I see what I did wrong now. I only downloaded the GTK, lol
It's good now, thanks.

chaos_ghost
08-05-2006, 07:48 PM
This might be a dumb question, but how do I completely cut out the background from a pic?

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/chillwill843/Manu_800_Burn20full.jpg

Like if I was using this pic, how would I get rid of the background so that only Kane is visible?

crono_logical
08-05-2006, 08:17 PM
I'd use the freehand/lasso select tool and draw around him by hand, then copy/paste it to a new image :p You can add some fade to the selection border so it'll blend into whatever you're sticking him on top of rather than having a sharp edge :p

chaos_ghost
08-05-2006, 09:13 PM
OK, I'll give it a try when I get home later on.

Shadowdeathrose
09-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah i have Gimp 2.0 does anyone know how to use it properly cuase i don't and i need to, can someone send me a tutorial or help me out via pm thankies in advance

starseeker
09-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Could someone please tell me how to blend images together so that the foreground image doesn't look like it was just stuck on the background. That would be much appreciated.

http://gimp.org/tutorials/
This might help you FFKing_Reborn.

Shadowdeathrose
09-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Could someone please tell me how to blend images together so that the foreground image doesn't look like it was just stuck on the background. That would be much appreciated.

http://gimp.org/tutorials/
This might help you FFKing_Reborn.

Is okay now thanks starseeker...

Marluxiaswife
09-12-2006, 03:20 PM
i started yesterday and its hard... how do i blend the background
and do all that cool stuff? :(

bipper
09-12-2006, 04:07 PM
If you guys are having that much trouble using gimp, and you have photoshop exerience, try GIMPSHOP (http://blog.yumdap.net/archives/43-GIMPshop-2.2.8-for-Windows-released.html). From what I hear, it is a godsend, though it can be a bit buggy at times; just save, save, save.

Hawkeye
09-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Why the hell is this thread stickied, by the way?

bipper
09-13-2006, 02:15 PM
It stepped in gum.

here is a usefull link too btw: http://library.n0i.net/linux-unix/applications/graphics/gimp/teach%20yourself%20gimp%20in%2024%20hours/ewtoc.html

This is how I learned it.

Marluxiaswife
09-13-2006, 02:33 PM
It stepped in gum.

here is a usefull link too btw: http://library.n0i.net/linux-unix/applications/graphics/gimp/teach%20yourself%20gimp%20in%2024%20hours/ewtoc.html

This is how I learned it.

cool when i go to my sis house again i'll look at this :)
thanks bipper

Rinöa
09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
when i'm on this website (http://gimp.org/tutorials/The_Basics/), i'm on the part that says "using the layer mask" and i'm trying to merge down the text layer, but the option is greyed out.

bipper
09-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Simply click arround or work with your selection. I dunno if you can mask the BG layer, as I never use the BG layer.

bleusapphire
10-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I came across this website dafont and downloaded a couple of cool fonts from there,yet I have no idea under what folder do I have to save those.
Help is greatly appreciated

starseeker
10-04-2006, 08:20 PM
You put the fonts in the fonts folder which is in the program files.

TheSpoonyBard
10-04-2006, 10:21 PM
My Computer -> C: -> Windows -> Fonts

Once you've unzipped the folder downloaded from dafont, copy the font file and paste it into the Fonts folder. When you next restart GIMP it will load any new fonts you've installed.

Polaris
12-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Ok I've just downloaded GIMP but I can't find the alpha! :( also I download it and put it 17 MB!

Where it says Alpha Logo the words are in grey and I can't acess it

starseeker
12-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Is there a layer underneath the one you're using?

Polaris
12-20-2006, 05:26 PM
No it's a normal image!

starseeker
12-21-2006, 10:18 AM
GIMP doesn't like you having alpha on the lowest layer of an image. You'd need to add a solid background underneath it before you could add an alpha channel.

XandrewX
01-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Erm..maybe my question is lame...but how do you make the text glow in GIMP?

Polaris
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Erm..maybe my question is lame...but how do you make the text glow in GIMP?

:p is not lame I have the same question :( Is it possible to make an outline in the text?

Little Blue
01-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Glowing Text: Select the layer with the text on and apply one of the script-fus such as "glowing hot".

Outline text: Select the layer, and contour / colour select the transparency. invert selection and stroke selection. There's also the option of selecting from text but i can't remember where it is.

Hope that helps.

XandrewX
01-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Yupe...I kinda understand it now...I'll try it...thanks anyway :)

EDIT:can anyone teach me how to do a glowing text similar to the attachment I've attached?

Polaris
01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Glowing Text: Select the layer with the text on and apply one of the script-fus such as "glowing hot".

I tried to make this but it ends up cutting the rest of the sig :( Only appears the text and I can't also found where the contour is!:(

XandrewX
01-10-2007, 05:08 PM

I tried to make this but it ends up cutting the rest of the sig :( Only appears the text and I can't also found where the contour is!:(

If i'm not wrong...try creating a new layer before putting on the text and finally use the glowing text script-fu.

Polaris
01-10-2007, 06:18 PM
It doesn't work! :(
It turns out like this (the image is attached)

Little Blue
01-10-2007, 08:28 PM

It'll cut it I'm afraid, just copy the layers that give the effect you want and undo to go back to before you script-fu'd and paste that into your sig. You might also want to increase the size of the text layer (layer -> layer boundary size) or it'll cut off some of the glow too...

Also contour select is the little wand on the top row of the main gimp window to the left of the colour selection. (Its actually called contiguous regions, sorry if that confused you).

Polaris
06-01-2007, 02:05 PM
For everyone who wants to make a simple banner at GIMP

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n13/Adeselna/sig_tut_bg.jpg

new tut coming tomorrow ;)

Polaris
06-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Sorry for the double post but I made a new tut
Please check the attachment because the tut was too big to fit at Photobucket!
Enjoy ;)

Shoeberto
06-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Moved to Graphic Design to prevent sticky clutter in Help.

atlanteay
07-11-2007, 03:34 PM
GIMP can't have a single text layer with more than one font color right? I just made this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/atlanteay/warriors.jpg

i had to make two separate layers for the warriors part. Since photoshop is on my other comp and this laptop is too slow, i have to use GIMP.

Polaris
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeha you have to use two separate layers! :) But that's awsome :eek: Way better than mine! How did u do the lighting??

XandrewX
07-11-2007, 03:45 PM
A Flare?

daggertrepe
07-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Lant is graphics god. She make a sig on paint and make people want it.

atlanteay
07-11-2007, 06:04 PM
lol dagger.

i used that light filter called Gflare? i forgot, but it was way better than photoshop lighting filters.

oh yeah, is it possible to 'Apply Image' in GIMP? apply image is when you have like ten layers and you want to have a new layer that's how the current image looks like. So it's kind of like flattening the image but instead, you add the flattened image to the top and still saves all the original layers.

GIMP is pretty cool for a free program

Polaris
07-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't know... Try 'Dialogs' and see in Layer but I think it's not possible!:(

XandrewX
07-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Ten layers possible...Although I dunno what you meant but I don't think it's possible.

atlanteay
07-11-2007, 07:11 PM
i was just using 10 as an example. I think i can work my way around it.

is GIMP supposed to take up a lot of memory? my laptop is freezing as i type because i was working with GIMP.

Polaris
07-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Usually it blocks on my computer! :D An advice don't let GIMP open for a long time!;)

OMG we're teaching Lant!:eek:

atlanteay
07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
lol, it's what happens when photoshop dies. Now that i think about it... i might never get to use photoshop again if they format my harddrive. Then, i'll just bomb whoever formatted it :D

oh yeah, GIMP just froze completely and killed off my sig. talk about a laggy computer.

Polaris
07-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah that happens a lot with me I lost tons of sigs coz GIMP blocked :( Bad things about a free programm!:p

XandrewX
07-12-2007, 12:42 PM
I had that problem too..I thought it was my com lacking memory but it seems you all had that kinda problem..so I think it's just normal..

Little Blue
07-12-2007, 02:38 PM
oh yeah, is it possible to 'Apply Image' in GIMP? apply image is when you have like ten layers and you want to have a new layer that's how the current image looks like. So it's kind of like flattening the image but instead, you add the flattened image to the top and still saves all the original layers.

If I understand you correctly: Get your ten layers, click edit -> Copy visible, edit -> paste, and assign the floating pasted layer to a new layer by later -> new layer. I dunno if there's a more elegant way of doing it mind you, but that's what came to mind and seemed to work pretty easily when I just tried it on three layers and the combined image sat on top of the three other layers.

Yeah that happens a lot with me I lost tons of sigs coz GIMP blocked :( Bad things about a free programm!:p
hehe, I wish GIMP could autosave...

daggertrepe
07-12-2007, 02:53 PM
lol dagger.

i used that light filter called Gflare? i forgot, but it was way better than photoshop lighting filters.

GIMP is pretty cool for a free program

I always flatten my sigs after each step. it's the way I roll.

Little Blue
07-12-2007, 03:00 PM
How do you change stuff in earlier layers then? If you flatten it don't you lose the ability to manipulate the layers and have to undo until you get back to them all seperated again? I don't see what's wrong with keeping the layers as layers and only flatten when you're saving to jpg or whatever format you choose, other than the drain on memory that is...

atlanteay
07-12-2007, 05:15 PM
but that's the way she rolls :(

ah, thanks Little Blue. Copy visible is exactly like apply image only you don't have to paste in PS XD

daggertrepe
07-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Too many layers makes me nervous. :(

XandrewX
07-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Er..may I ask if you guys had a picture of Sora handed a 'lucky charm' to Kairi?I've been finding but failed..

atlanteay
07-15-2007, 04:46 PM
is this the one?

XandrewX
07-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah..thanks..How did you find it?You print screen is it?Can you teach me because I fail to save my print screen as a picture..

atlanteay
07-15-2007, 05:08 PM
you can't use PrintScreen for videos. You'll have to turn off hardware acceleration for that and it's too much hassle. I take my screenshots with VLC player. It can view most videos and has a built-in screen snapper.

Polaris
07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
I have a doubt about text Stroking!:( Everytime I use the tool Stroke outline instead of creating an outline it covers half of the text!:( How can I put a normal outline in the text?

atlanteay
07-16-2007, 04:32 PM
you want it like this?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/atlanteay/images/test.jpg

Polaris
07-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Yes but the like the bg of the image in black! The text in white and the outline in blue :)

atlanteay
07-16-2007, 04:39 PM
yeah, i changed the bg to white because it was transparent at first. Anyways,

you have to set the foreground to the color of the stroke you want and the background to the color of the text.

Then, you delete the background layer and make a new transparent layer.

New layer again, put the text in. Merge down the text layer to the invisible layer because the text layer has that restriction box around it that would affect the stroking.

Then right click on the text layer and select "Alpha To Selection"

Go to Edit> Stroke Selection

Pick the stroke style and edge style you want and press ok.

It would fill the entire text and stroke to the foreground color. So go to Edit> Fill with BG color (white)

then, make another layer beneath it and fill it with black. If your sig is already black, then you can skip this step.

Polaris
07-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Cool thanks Lant :D No one in GIMPtalk solved the problem :) Thanks :D

Little Blue
07-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Can't you just click create path with text (with the text layer active), create a new layer and stroke path. That should give you a layer of text outline that you can work with how you wish. eg, colour fill inside and out on duplicate layers if you want to preserve the original outline on a seperate layer, or am I just rambling a bit :p

Polaris
08-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Here enjoy GIMP users ;)

GIMP brushes: Browsing GIMP Brushes on deviantART (http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/applications/gimpbrushes/)

GIMP Tutorials: Browsing The Gimp on deviantART (http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/tutorials/appreference/thegimp/?order=5)
GIMPTalk.com - Ultimate gimp tutorials and community forum (http://www.gimptalk.com/)

GIMP Gradients:
Fuschia Gradients For Gimp by ~webgoddess on deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32824719)
Gimp 2.2 Gradients Muted by ~agent-provocateur on deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25899235)
Reddish...Inspired Gradients by ~webgoddess on deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42208824/)
Divided Gradients by !belbv123 on deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52635627/)

GIMP patterns:
Warm Patterns by ~Noldo on deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/33426469/)
GIMP Patterns: Verticals by ~iceytina on deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23231564/)
GIMP Patterns: Lillies by ~iceytina on deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23231401/)
Grass Patterns or Textures by ~iceytina on deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30170469/)
Metal Patterns for GIMP by ~iceytina on deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42952621/)

Tina's website: wwwtina-home (http://wwwtina.altervista.org/home.htm)
Papersweets website: p a p e r s w e e t s (http://papersweets.fan-arts.net/)

NOTE: You'll have to follow the rules like it says there so please follow the rules :D

*cast EDITAGA*

I found FF8 quote brushes for Photoshop and now I converted them for GIMP ;) They're great for avatars! ;) See the attachment! :D

Original FF8 quote brushes link: Final Fantasy VIII: Quotes. by ~tifalenne on deviantART (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/20851310/)
Tifalenne DeviantArt Gallery: tifalenne on deviantART (http://tifalenne.deviantart.com/)

Polaris
10-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Ok I know you've heard me saying that there is a new GIMP 2.4 that can use PS brushes.... and it's correct ^^ Here's the link to the website where you can download and also see the new stuff that the programm has!^^

Check here if you're interested ^^

GIMP 2.4 Release Notes (http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.4.html)

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program (http://www.gimp.org/) - for the download

(it's totally free, and it's just and update, so the old gimp won't fade, when downloading some old files will removal or updated)

- please notice that the desgin will be somehow new and some things will be out of place!:D

daggertrepe
12-01-2007, 07:42 PM
My GIMP is not working. I will open a file or paste one on, and I will try to use the square to crop the image, and it won't let me. It won't let me do anything.

Re-installed the gimp in case there was a virus, and it still is not working.

Does anyone know why this is?

Polaris
12-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Which version of GIMP is it?

daggertrepe
12-19-2007, 10:02 PM
version 2.4 I believe.

Polaris
12-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah me as well! When you use the knife button you should select the square around the image and and let go the mouse click :) Where did you made the download of GIMP?

daggertrepe
12-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I dunno, but I got really good at making icons and then it won't work for me...hold on, ill try it...

nope still not workin

Polaris
12-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Don't you have another program to cut images? Normally I never use GIMP to cut them! OR you can open a new image and open the image you wanna use appart and paste on the black image! ^^

daggertrepe
12-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Actually, I just want to size down icons, like make a little dotted aquare around then cut. But actually, nothing is working. no brushes or anything.

???

dude

daggertrepe
12-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Ok, now it's working fine. Whatever.

Polaris
12-22-2007, 05:53 PM
You know some people have some troubles with the new GIMP 2.4, maybe yours also had those :( Glad it's working now! Most times it's a problem that comes with the program!:(

daggertrepe
01-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Ok, now it's being defective again.

I don't know if it's because of me or what?

Polaris
01-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Hm I advise you to go here: GIMP Talk (http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/board.php) maybe it'll help more than here!

daggertrepe
01-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks! :)

Polaris
05-27-2008, 02:58 PM
To those who have Photoshop or GIMP 2.4 I advise you to go to this website! ^^ It has textures and brushes plus stock images and tons of icons ^^

Shizoo - einfach mal Design haben (http://shizoo.frozen-media.de)

Balzac
05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Make your own, lol.

amiel
04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
HEy everybody I have an Idea I have here in my laptop a software that can cut the background and then just paste the background there and you can choose the TRANSPARENCY and after that copy again the background and then paste it again to the original image and then you have it..you wanna know what program it is?It's definitely FREE!!!no virus..:cool: